Skip to content

After the hype has died...

I'm on my third run-through of SoD, long after the hype has died and still just love every moment of it. It feels like coming home. It really is worthy of the IE legacy. So much to do for such a seemingly linear game, and so polished.

Really want to see Corwin, M'kiin and the gang brought over to SoA.

Comments

• kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    I can only speak for myself, but I really enjoyed SoD. One of the things I don't see mentioned much in the reviews I've read is the amount of improvements and additions behind the scenes. The sheer number of NPCs milling about the city areas with little or no performance hit is just one example of that work. Also, the Gemblade +1 was a fun discovery (if you haven't used all it's charges yet, give it a try).

I have high hopes for Beamdog's next offering, whatever form that might take.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    edited January 2017
    Przemkas said:

In my opinion it looks like this:

THE GOOD
    + proper and interesting story, although linear
    + I really felt the fuss in the city crawling with refugees
    + them little animations (thugs attack commoners and hide in shadows, fisties push people away, etc.)
    + fantastic new areas
    + voice acting and music (sfx)

THE BAD
    - no dwarven companion, but lots of dwarven loot
    - the final boss was a recycled one

THE "MEH"
    * new class, shaman
    * new companions are ok, but wouldn't like to see them in SoA

It's like you can read my mind!
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    Grimo88 said:

The contracts being what they are, that might not be possible. Perhaps as DLC?

• Grimo88Grimo88 Member Posts: 191
    Przemkas said:

THE GOOD
    + them little animations (thugs attack commoners and hide in shadows, fisties push people away, etc.)
    + fantastic new areas

THE BAD

THE "MEH"
    * new class, shaman

I would agree with that last part were it not for M'kiin, who I think is not just an amazing character, but one of the best in the series.
  • CalemyrCalemyr Member Posts: 238
    I'd say the story was proper and interesting until the end, which ruins the entire premise. If Caelar had truly been heroic, or saw the error of her ways and surrendered to the law, the plot would have remained interesting.

I like the companions, personally, but I don't like the fact that they're missing in BG2. It doesn't need to be as companions. Cameo's or references would work as well. Heck, a more complete conclusion to their parts in SoD would work. But SoD creates a number of incomplete threads that really irk me.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Grum said:

Przemkas said:

THE GOOD
    + fantastic new areas

THE BAD

THE "MEH"
    * new class, shaman

It's obviously since Beamdog, being the sensible, intelligent dwarfs they are, understand that the CHARNAME of course and without any doubt, is a dwarf.
    Skatan said:

Grum said:

Przemkas said:

THE GOOD
    + fantastic new areas

THE BAD

THE "MEH"
    * new class, shaman

It's obviously since Beamdog, being the sensible, intelligent dwarfs they are, understand that the CHARNAME of course and without any doubt, is a dwarf.
    [Nods safely]

"I name you Skatan Dwarf-Friend. Rise!"

[Hands Skatan a beard that looks like it was made from woven gold]

"Wear it with pride! It's made with real hair. Got it from the last band of elves who approached our dwarf fortress. We tried to trade arrows with them and they demanded that we stop cutting down trees. So we got this from them instead!"
  • ChidojuanChidojuan Member Posts: 211
    @Grum The more I read from you, the more I'm convinced you're the secret love child of Athrogate and Thibbledorf Pwent.
    Chidojuan said:

@Grum The more I read from you, the more I'm convinced you're the secret love child of Athrogate and Thibbledorf Pwent.

Who ever said that it was a secret?
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    edited January 2017
    Grum said:

[Nods safely]

"Wear it with pride! It's made with real hair. Got it from the last band of elves who approached our dwarf fortress. We tried to trade arrows with them and they demanded that we stop cutting down trees. So we got this from them instead!"

Thanks, but I've got me own. After trying my best to suppress my inner dwarf and in threads like "what race would you be?" answering the polls with human, I have no finally come to terms with obviously being dwarf and started growing my beard quite long.

I will treasure this beard though and will hold on to it for now, ready to pass it down to the next humanoid who finds their inner dwarf and who take a stand for all of us of perfect girth and height. The longshanks and the pointy-ears be damned.
  • ObjulenObjulen Member Posts: 93
    Calemyr said:

I'd say the story was proper and interesting until the end, which ruins the entire premise. If Caelar had truly been heroic, or saw the error of her ways and surrendered to the law, the plot would have remained interesting.

That depends on how you handle the situation. It can end with her performing a heroic sacrifice and a heel-face turn, or she can plummet to full-blown villain.

Skatan said:

Grum said:

[Nods safely]

Thanks, but I've got me own. After trying my best to suppress my inner dwarf and in threads like "what race would you be?" answering the polls with human, I have no finally come to terms with obviously being dwarf and started growing my beard quite long.

I will treasure this beard though and will hold on to it for now, ready to pass it down to the next humanoid who finds their inner dwarf and who take a stand for all of us of perfect girth and height. The longshanks and the pointy-ears be damned.
    By Moradin's Hammer, well said!
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    Objulen said:

Calemyr said:

That depends on how you handle the situation. It can end with her performing a heroic sacrifice and a heel-face turn, or she can plummet to full-blown villain.

That moment reminded me a little of Aribeth in the nwn campaign.

Oh and I quite like the Final boss ost.
  • CalemyrCalemyr Member Posts: 238
    Objulen said:

Heroic? Had she displayed any regret for her actions or regret that she couldn't face justice for them, I'd buy that. Even if she walks away as a paladin, she's unrepentant and walks away on her own terms. It really irks me. It reminds me of Doctor Who, A Town Called Mercy: "Justice doesn't work that way, you don't get to choose how you pay your debts." She lies to innumerable people, destroys countless lives on a false pretense, sends people to death in the pits of hell, knowing full well that they can't succeed, and then... whoops... not everyone can get through the gate so I'll walk away now. She's been shown to be more than a match for any devils she runs across, so it's not like staying behind is a death sentence.

While it would be slightly satisfying to make her fall just to execute her, that's not justice either. She never has to answer for anything. Meanwhile, the entire mystique of her character, the vaunted "better hero than you", is destroyed by it. I so loved the concept of the Scion evolving from the "action survivor" of BG1 and the "true hero" of BG2 by clashing with a real hero, learning from the contrast. It was an interesting story, but the fact that it's all a cold lie really destroys it.
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    Ehmmmm what hype ? B)o:)B)<3
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    No dwarf companion? What about Voghiln? Sure, he's got a height condition, but dude's totally a dwarf. ;)
  • PhælinPhælin Member Posts: 316
    kcwise said:

No dwarf companion? What about Voghiln? Sure, he's got a height condition, but dude's totally a dwarf. ;)

TBH, when he was first hinted as a companion, and I saw his portrait I was so sure that's a dwarf.

I'm more of an elf guy myself, but lack of a dwarven companion in this game is a disaster.

• rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    edited January 2017
    Calemyr said:

Objulen said:

Heroic? Had she displayed any regret for her actions or regret that she couldn't face justice for them, I'd buy that. Even if she walks away as a paladin, she's unrepentant and walks away on her own terms. It really irks me. It reminds me of Doctor Who, A Town Called Mercy: "Justice doesn't work that way, you don't get to choose how you pay your debts." She lies to innumerable people, destroys countless lives on a false pretense, sends people to death in the pits of hell, knowing full well that they can't succeed, and then... whoops... not everyone can get through the gate so I'll walk away now. She's been shown to be more than a match for any devils she runs across, so it's not like staying behind is a death sentence.

While it would be slightly satisfying to make her fall just to execute her, that's not justice either. She never has to answer for anything. Meanwhile, the entire mystique of her character, the vaunted "better hero than you", is destroyed by it. I so loved the concept of the Scion evolving from the "action survivor" of BG1 and the "true hero" of BG2 by clashing with a real hero, learning from the contrast. It was an interesting story, but the fact that it's all a cold lie really destroys it.
    Welcome to the way things really work, where it's messy. SoD isn't a Disney tale, where we all feel good at the end of the movie. It's more like a Grimm's fairy tale, where the villain may still win.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    given we knew how sod was going to end evil did win.

• bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    there was never a lot of negative hype about the actual quality of the game. truly negative journalistic reviews were few and far between.
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636

given we knew how sod was going to end evil did win.

Reason I said "may" was because how Caelar is depends on how you play the dialog. Yeah, you still end up where BG2 starts, but Caelar reacts based on how you push her (or don't).
  • Teo_liveTeo_live Member Posts: 186
    bob_veng said:

there was never a lot of negative hype about the actual quality of the game. truly negative journalistic reviews were few and far between.

How wasn't there, negative journalistic hype almost made me NOT buy the game. Unless of course you read nothing but the usual mainstream which champion any form of art fitting their agenda. All in all the game wasn't bad, but it could be improved somewhat.
    Grimo88 said:

I'm on my third run-through of SoD, long after the hype has died and still just love every moment of it. It feels like coming home. It really is worthy of the IE legacy. So much to do for such a seemingly linear game, and so polished.

Wow I don't think I could stomach a third SoD play through... but it does at least warrant 2 play throughs (good and evil). I would personally hate to see even more characters implemented into SoA, especially while many canon characters remain almost completely banterless and wanting.
    edited January 2017
    @Teo_live there wasn't. give me one negative journalistic review that doesn't focus on the controversy, because in that case it stopped being a review and started being something else
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Before it goes into a circle of off-topic comments, I'd like to emphasize that we have a thread about SoD reviews, which actually includes almost all available journalistic reviews - https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/49735/overall-score-71-100-sod-official-reviews-list-spoilers.
    edited January 2017
    Half-orcs had no loot though!:P

But yeah the class and race specific items were great.
    we're not getting off-topic. i'm saying that the hype mentioned in the thread title wasn't about the game's quality. the reception was positive.
    some games do actually get negatively hyped through the press, intially collectively blasted and then repeatedly cited as bad examples of something - but in time they turn out to be well liked and well played games.

just pointing out that this is not the case here because the hype that was happening was never very much about the game, it was about culture.

so the "passing of hype" shouldn't make anyone see the game in a different light, presuming they are pure of heart :p:)
  • Teo_liveTeo_live Member Posts: 186
    So a variation between 40%-87% in the listed gaming reviews!! ...Sif i needed more reasons to not take movie/game reviews seriously. I also noticed the more mainstream the website the higher the score is (Venturebeat counts "better women characters" as part of their score system lol! Agenda much?).

The mixed column was by far the most fair and objective in the list. I agree with their score system varying between 5-7/10. I have got to give credit to @JuliusBorisov for including negative reviews to the list to add objectivity.
    bob_veng said:

@Teo_live there wasn't. give me one negative journalistic review that doesn't focus on the controversy, because in that case it stopped being a review and started being something else

Why not? Not including a major talking point in a opinion piece/review sounds like gawker-go-bankrupt style journalism. Dialogue is a major part of the game after all (the most important imo).

This is more of a minor minor issue, but was anyone else slightly disappointed that you couldn't use the sword of chaos in SoD? I always had the notion that it was yours after Sarevoks defeat and Irenicus picked it off you after the ambush. Besides it's not like it was overpowered for the SoD portion of the game either.