Skip to content

What program was used to create SoD (+bgee npc quest areas) ?

Out of curiosity, I´d really like to know with what program SoD and the bgee npc quest areas were created?

If at all possible, could you release that program to the community? Be it free of charge or a suitable price, I bet the effect on the longevity and appeal of the game might be as long-lasting as of that custom area designer that was shipped with NWN.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited January 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    There're tutorials and videos around the web on background creation. One approach is to sketch a scene in 3D renderer, then paint and tweak it in image editor - this lets you keep the geometry straight and use all kinds of 2D lighting/coloring techniques you can think of. Other artists manage without renders, which often can be recognized by distinct hand-drawn elements if you study the image closely.

To put it simply - knowledge, skill and perseverance come first, and the choice of tools second.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    i'm sure they had some different, more advanced, tools, apart from known modders' tools. how else would they do the lava and the elevator...
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    I'm wondering how the wafting fog effect got implemented.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    bob_veng said:

i'm sure they had some different, more advanced, tools, apart from known modders' tools. how else would they do the lava and the elevator...

Flashburn said:

I'm wondering how the wafting fog effect got implemented.

You people mean these?

They're .wbm files. Yes, wbms. If you export them you can watch them on VLC if you prefer. This feature (engine can display .wbm files) is into the game since BG2:EE was released.

Of course they've used a different tool to create the .wbm files, but then they also modified the engine to make them work, and it's probably something like a 3D renderer or photoshop that they've used for this. Dunno about the elevator since I didn't play SoD but I guess it's basically the same thing.
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    edited January 2017

I'm pretty sure Beamdog uses tools that are already available to the community. Near Infinity, DLTCEP, Weidu, BAM editors, image editors, etc.

Why would they do this, when there are much better development tools available?...

If working in software development has taught me anything, it's that using "modding tools" means you've been handed a plastic toy hammer when you actually needed a metal hammer.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited January 2017

(Except, I guess, the game's source code. But the source code isn't required to make an expansion.)

Why would you *ever* touch those kind of tools when you can write the source code?...

Seriously, dude. Using "modding tools" isn't software development. Don't kid yourself. And a modding toolset is NOT what the devs use either, because (again) they can write the source code. At absolute best, any "modder's toolset" is a significantly gimped version of the actual tools. (For example, do you know what the Civilization 5 toolset was? A very narrow and dumbed down version of Visual Studio 2010, that let you write SQL, XML, & Python.)

As for "development tools", you may want to look into the kind of tools used to actually write source code. The term "IDE" is a software developer's best friend. It's more likely that Beamdog used a tool similar to Unity or Frostbite's development tool(s), except their tools were designed for use with the Infinity Engine.
  • BelegCuthalionBelegCuthalion Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 453
    edited January 2017
    But writing content right into the interpreter source code generally is a very very bad idea, making things monolithic and impossible to maintain or extend independently from the core. The core should handle whatever content is thrown at him – not be the container of the content. The content should be object modules of rules, items, story, whatever. (Visual representation is the third realm then).
    and it is the opposite of what beamdog is doing with the EE engine – they externalise content and mechanics from the interpreter into the content realm where ever possible, making it adjustable without needing access to the interpreter engine code.

Or said differently: you would not code a magic sword in an c++ IDE if you could have an item editor specifically suitable for that task, creating an object file that just is “understood“ by the engine without ever a need of touching that.
  • switswit Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 495
    IIRC the guy who created DLTCEP now works for Beamdog! So not surprising that they would use it.
    that guy is @Avenger_teambg who already replied in this topic :D
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    How many/which old modders work for beamdog now? I get confused too.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Kaeloree (aka Liam Esler) used to work there.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    miloch.
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    edited January 2017
    Cuv, I think, works there too.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Galactygon's got a blue background.
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    There's more still. You can do it, guys ;)
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    Rhaella, I vaguellt remember? :)
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    If you go much longer, the majority of beamdog will be old modders :).
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Just check the Team member badge on these boards;)
    edited January 2017

but heck, IIRC the guy who created DLTCEP now works for Beamdog! So not surprising that they would use it.

And if you think about it, the reason he got hired probably had more to do with the fact that he basically created a portable version of the Infinity Engine than the actual DLTCEP tool itself. In other words, he did a lot of actual software development, even if not in a professional setting. That, in and of itself, is impressive. What he did was much more extensive than "modding".
  • theacefestheacefes Member Posts: 85
    I coded the "Banana!" mod. Does that count?
  • TarlugnTarlugn Member Posts: 208
    @Ardanis

Thank you! And here was I thinking I´d get the tools without learning how to use them >:)