Skip to content

Beamdog Client soft launch

2»

Comments

• AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    I don't see the behavior @kjeron described. My dialog.tlk file remains untouched if I press Cancel when the Find Installed Game process offers to restore my install to default.

I still think the Cancel/Restore options during the Find Installed Game process can be confusing. A user might not realize that the "Cancel" is only for the "restore to default" and not the entire "Find Installed Game" process.

BTW, I think I have a beta version, like @Doodleroo. In Finder, the version reports as 2.0.1-beta1.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    edited March 2017

I still think the Cancel/Restore options during the Find Installed Game process can be confusing. A user might not realize that the "Cancel" is only for the "restore to default" and not the entire "Find Installed Game" process.

Your point about the cancel/restore options is valid. Can you create a feature request on Redmine and leave here a link, please?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    We're rolling out a new version of the client, 2.0.1, which should no longer alter modded games without the user giving permission first.

If anyone has further problems with modded games, please let us know.

Existing installations of the client should automatically detect the new version.

(If you have chosen Beta in the Pre-Release Opt-In in Settings then you may already have 2.0.1.)
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    Looks like I posted on Redmine a moment too late.
    Anyway, both the beta and stable 2.0.1 have so far has stopped that behavior for me.
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462

I also haven't seen a game auto-update upon launch of the Beamdog Client. Modded games get the "tool icon" next to them that, if clicked, will offer to restore the install to default, but again, I get the warning dialog above.

I only see this icon for my SoD install. I don't see it for BG1EE or BG2EE but both these installs are also modded.
    @lefreut Is it possible that your mods for BG1:EE and BG2:EE only involve extra files in the override, as opposed to actual edits to files such as dialog.tlk? And have you also in these cases modded your games after bringing a clean install into the Client?

Either way, the tool icon indicates when the Beamdog Client has detected changes to your game files. However, the client does not constantly check on the state of all files. If you were to choose the 'Verify Game' option for either of these games, it should at that point check the state of the files and see your mods, adding the tool icon and prompting you to return to a clean install or leave them alone. The same thing would happen if an update to the game came out, and the Client needed to check on the state of the files before updating.
    edited March 2017

Your point about the cancel/restore options is valid. Can you create a feature request on Redmine and leave here a link, please?
    Done. :smile:

EDIT: Forgot the link... whoops!

http://redmine.beamdog.com/issues/29986
    Post edited by AstroBryGuy on
  • DoodlerooDoodleroo Member Posts: 28
    kjeron said:

Anyway, both the beta and stable 2.0.1 have so far has stopped that behavior for me.

Same for me, added the logs to the ticket anyway.
  • StefanOStefanO Member Posts: 346
    edited March 2017
    lefreut said:

I only see this icon for my SoD install. I don't see it for BG1EE or BG2EE but both these installs are also modded.

BG2EE: The icon doesn't appear if there is a Workshop folder in the game directory and the Workshop folder contains a DLC library. "verify game" removes both, which it inconsistent.

• DoodlerooDoodleroo Member Posts: 28
    Doodleroo said:

kjeron said:

Same for me, added the logs to the ticket anyway.
    Spoke too early, it just happened again using 2.0.1; added new logs to the ticket.
  • StefanOStefanO Member Posts: 346
    The "k9quicksave" mod does nothing more than placing savename.2da into the override folder. The icon doesn't appear.

The next mod (itemupgrade) does change the dialog.tlk file. The icon appears after a restart of the beamdog client.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Transferring my games over to the client did something to my dialog.tlk and override folder. I can no longer apply ANY mods and verifying files isn't fixing it. I may need to do a complete uninstall/re-install to fix this.
    Delete and re-install did not fix the issue. Weidu can no longer detect dialog.tlk/its missing.
  • themazingnessthemazingness Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 702
    edited March 2017
    Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm not even seeing an Install or Find Existing Game button. All I have are buttons for each game, BUY NOW, OPTIONS with Open Game Location, Uninstall, and Verify Game grayed out, and the gear icon at the bottom which does have Settings but not options to install or find the existing game. Can anyone enlighten me?

Edit: I'm guessing INSTALL should be in place of BUY NOW. But I never bought the games from the beamdog.cm website. I bought them from Steam and GOG. Can I not use the client if I bought the games elsewhere?
    Post edited by themazingness on
    Okay, apparently it works now. No idea what I did to fix it or what caused it. That was weird.

@themazingness The launcher id for the version of the games bought directly from Beamdog.
  • themazingnessthemazingness Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 702
    @ThacoBell Thanks, that makes sense. It's too bad though. I would like a launcher for just the Beamdog games.
    Heya, folks!

Thanks again for testing the new Beamdog Client! Your feedback has been incredibly helpful and we look forward to your thoughts on the latest beta version.

A few changes to note in this update:
    • Game pages have been redesigned to include links to manuals and community pages.

• We’ve added Polish, German, and French translations. At the moment there is some known untranslated text, including game descriptions and missing translations will be added as soon as possible. A list of known missing translations can be found here:

(Polish) Untranslated or missing text tracker
      (German) Untranslated or missing text tracker
      (French) Untranslated or missing text tracker

Please let us know if you see a missing translation that isn’t on that list.

• We’ve added a few requested features such as the minimize button and making sure the ‘'find existing game' window is always on top.
  • StoneAngelStoneAngel Member Posts: 5
    Now SoD and IWD at the opening of the client are always not installed, so i need to select the installation folder to play by client every once.

Client version 2.0.2-beta1.
    edited March 2017

Now SoD and IWD at the opening of the client are always not installed, so i need to select the installation folder to play by client every once.

Client version 2.0.2-beta1.

I'm having the same issue with the 2.0.2-beta. After every restart of the Beamdog Client, BGEE, BG2EE, and SoD come up with the "INSTALL" button rather than the "PLAY" button. IWDEE does show the "PLAY" button.

EDIT: Reported http://redmine.beamdog.com/issues/30032
    Post edited by AstroBryGuy on
    The beta version is in the process of an update right now. It will include a fix for the problem mentioned by StoneAngel and AstroBryGuy. Thanks for reporting it!
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Will there be a feature to select patches? I.e. not necessarily just grab the newest one? GOG Galaxy has this and it lets you avoid or rollback patches that are... not great. It'd be a reason to use the client cause currently I like the least amount possible of these things running. I appreciate the fact that the EEs (unless you're weird and got them from steam) are currently playable client-less :)

The beta version is in the process of an update right now. It will include a fix for the problem mentioned by StoneAngel and AstroBryGuy. Thanks for reporting it!

Looks to be fixed in 2.0.2-beta2.

Thanks!

Will there be a feature to select patches? I.e. not necessarily just grab the newest one? GOG Galaxy has this and it lets you avoid or rollback patches that are... not great. It'd be a reason to use the client cause currently I like the least amount possible of these things running. I appreciate the fact that the EEs (unless you're weird and got them from steam) are currently playable client-less :)

We have created a feature request for that, thank you.

Also, when a game does update in the new Client it won't force you to immediately update your game. You can continue to play the old version until you choose to update.
This discussion has been closed.