Skip to content

[NPC MOD] Ishlilka the Wizard Slayer for BG1 + SOD [FULL VERSION 1.4]

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Yeah, I had assumed that as well. I apologize.
  • TrancingBearTrancingBear Member Posts: 17
    I just installed BG:EE and ToD, and would love to play this mod. When trying to install I get the following error: Resource [BDSCHAEL.DLG] not found in KEY file: [./chitin.key]

Any ideas? Thanks!
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    Hey there! Did you pick up Modmerge? Required for this mod and that is typically the message you get when it isn't installed.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Modmerge should only be required for BG+SoD installs on Steam or GoG. Look inside the main mod folder. I found chitin.key in there in my install. I actually had to pull it out of the folder for the mod to work for me.
  • TrancingBearTrancingBear Member Posts: 17
    Never mind! I needed to install in the SoD directory, not BGEE.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    Inexecusably late on this, but all bugs brought to my attention have been fixed. We'll call this 1.4. I also feel I should mention the BG2 portion of Ishlilka is pretty far into development at this point. Still hung up on a decision or two, still things to code, still refuse to make a deadline. But progress is being made. Edit: Put the download on the front page, where it should be, also gave the code one more look and scrapped one more thing. Double Edit: I also released the BG EE only version.
    Could you PLEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAASE re-upload the BG:EE only version?

Pretty please??
    I'm not sure I still have the EE only version on hand to be honest, but I can make another one and re-upload it since they really aren't that different.

Thanks for the reminder actually, I didn't realize it wasn't up.
    I'm not sure I still have the EE only version on hand to be honest, but I can make another one and re-upload it since they really aren't that different.

Thanks for the reminder actually, I didn't realize it wasn't up.

Thanks!  :)

edited February 2019
    Sorry it took me so long @SharGuidesMyHand, I *think* I have it EE only now. I can't test it but I can always take out what it tells me I forgot.

It's been a while since I looked at any IE code, makes me want to work on Ishlilka part 2!
    Post edited by WarChiefZeke on
    Sorry it took me so long @SharGuidesMyHand, I *think* I have it EE only now. I can't test it but I can always take out what it tells me I forgot.

It's been a while since I looked at any IE code, makes me want to work on Ishlilka part 2!

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately, I keep getting this error message when trying to install:

"ERROR locating resource for 'APPEND'
    Resource [BDDIALOG.2DA] not found in KEY file:
    [./chitin.key]
    Stopping installation because of error."
    Forgot to alter the TP2, my bad @SharGuidesMyHand

You'll have to forgive me for my terrible bugfixing. What I learned about modding I mostly learned through trial and error, mostly error. I read 2 tutorials to grasp the basics and made this mod after that, with a few helpful tips from other modders. But I try!

Forgot to alter the TP2, my bad @SharGuidesMyHand

You'll have to forgive me for my terrible bugfixing. What I learned about modding I mostly learned through trial and error, mostly error. I read 2 tutorials to grasp the basics and made this mod after that, with a few helpful tips from other modders. But I try!

Thanks again. However, I'm now getting another error message:

"ERROR locating resource for 'CHAIN3'
    Resource [BDRASAAB.DLG] not found in KEY file:
    [./chitin.key]
    ERROR: preprocessing APPEND_EARLY [Ishlilkamod/Dialogues/BISHY.d]: Failure("resource [BDRASAAB.DLG] not found for 'CHAIN3'")
    Stopping installation because of error.

ERROR Installing [Ishlilka mod for BG [FULL VERSION 1.3]], rolling back to previous state
    Will uninstall 53 files for [ISHLILKAMOD-SETUP.TP2] component 0.
    Uninstalled 53 files for [ISHLILKAMOD-SETUP.TP2] component 0.
    ERROR: Failure("resource [BDRASAAB.DLG] not found for 'CHAIN3'")
    PLEASE email the file ISHLILKAMOD-SETUP.DEBUG to Damian Warneke (WarChiefZeke @ baldurs gate forums or Gibberlings 3)"

If there's a problem with fixing this, please don't go out of your way on my account.

• SkitiaSkitia Member Posts: 1,061
    BDRASAAB is just a Siege of Dragonspear Banter that wasn't removed (You only have EE, so it can't find the resource for it, naturally). It shouldn't take them too long to fix it, I wouldn't fret about being an inconvenience, SharGUidesMyHand.

• jakinxzjakinxz Member Posts: 7
    will there ever be a bg2 part for this mod?
    edited February 2019
    Still workin on it @jakinxz , I gotta apologize for the long span in between em. I went from having lots of free time at the start to having almost none of it after the completion of this mod.

Regardless, progress has been slow but steady, and I think fans of this mod will be pleased with the result of the next. I've been working on it bit by bit and am at the point where I may just cut out the more grandiose plans I had just for the sake of releasing the dang thing.

After that, who knows. I love the IE engine. I have a half-completed couple of characters for IWD:EE sitting on the backlog too. We'll see.

By the way, i'm gonna set up a proper BG1 only setup in the coming days so I can properly do the BG only version again. Or see if I can resurrect the old machine it resides on.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    this mod really needs an update at some point. when you install it it updates all the mods again meaning it has an older version of wendiu and does seem to screw up alot of mods if installed after it.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    megamike15 wrote: »
    this mod really needs an update at some point. when you install it it updates all the mods again meaning it has an older version of wendiu and does seem to screw up alot of mods if installed after it.

If that's the case you can download a new version of Weidu, rename it as this mod's current installer and replace the old one.
    Raduziel wrote: »
    megamike15 wrote: »

If that's the case you can download a new version of Weidu, rename it as this mod's current installer and replace the old one.

Which is something I will do right away, thanks for letting me know it was out of date @megamike15.
    edited March 2019
    All right, it's updated. Awaiting approval so it may take a couple hours though. Just make sure there's a second update in the update tab :)

Embarrassingly I didn't upload the proper file last night lol but I did this time. I've been a mess these past couple days but we're all good now, everything is in perfect working order.
    Post edited by WarChiefZeke on
    By the way, the BG1 only version is back up. Sorry for my laziness in properly testing it, but
    I did it now, and it works. I know @SharGuidesMyHand was asking about it.

I'm just gonna keep it on the front page for convenience.
    Are you planning on adding any further content to the mod?

For example, if you start SoD only, there's no way to get Ishi from what I saw within the game, so it demands at a mininum starting a playthrough in EE and importing it once you have her.
    I do want to enhance this one a bit more but it's like third priority to me in terms of mods i'm working on. You having to go through BG1 with her for her to show up in SOD was a design choice on my part that I don't plan on changing, I never liked characters I didn't use showing up as if they knew my CHARNAME, but if enough people want me to change it I guess I could.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    which is very odd as she is mentioned if you don't use her by corwin and just never shows up.
    edited March 2019
    I'd highly consider it so it matches the other BG1 NPCs that also feature in SoD, and also scripting her moving between areas in case she's left behind in an area where she can't be picked up after you depart it for the chapter due to player forgetfulness. Most people don't switch out party members, but it's always good to code to catch how a player might break something.

Another suggestion is to have her not leave the party until the end of the crypts, in line with all of the other NPCs. It seems coded instead to just kick her out to her new area for recruitment as soon as SoD begins.

A final suggestion in reading some of the lines is some of the responses seem a bit too strong/melodramatic. I.E., the player character at one point can ask why Ishi came back. This could come across as a genuine question in some interpretations, but Ishi just tears up and leaves the party for good. An edit to consider would be to have her come across offended, then if the player follows up with a "I don't want you here", to remove her from the party. You could go above and beyond and instead of destroying her, move her to a location she can be re-recruited from after the P.C. apologizes, but that's up to you. The idea is to allow multiple angles of character responses that might conflict with Ishi and not earn a very good friendship, but not necessarily kill the person's presence either unless it is justified. Even if you don't consider such an edit in your BG1 content, it might be something to keep in mind for your Shadows of Amn and Throne of Bhaal stuff.

Otherwise the rest of the mod had likeable details, her class choice, the item additions seemed balanced, her narrative connection worked well, and she fills up the missing female half-orc choice. She doesn't talk too much as far as I noticed and wasn't too overbearing in content.

I still need to PM you to do banters, within a few weeks I probably will, but wanted to leave what I thought of it after going through it more exhaustively to get an idea of what sort of banters to even do.

Thanks, I will take all that into consideration and definitely make sure she "hops" in between chapters in an event where she may get stuck. I'll see what I have to do there and maybe have something out soon.

I've gotten a lot of feedback from the BG1 portion, but very little from the SOD portion, so it's refreshing to hear some.

And yeah, I tried hard to keep the content consistently coming throughout the game, but not ever overbearing or annoying with too much. I've had a lot of mods where it's just wall after wall of text every few steps, and to me that breaks immersion because I end up just skipping large chunks of it.

By the way, the BG1 only version is back up. Sorry for my laziness in properly testing it, but
    I did it now, and it works. I know @SharGuidesMyHand was asking about it.

I'm just gonna keep it on the front page for convenience.

Thanks a lot for this, the mod looks great!
  • RabulizRabuliz Member Posts: 17
    I’m really enjoying the mod. Any chance of it being expanded to BG2?
    Thanks for letting me know you enjoyed it! I always like to hear that.

I've been working on part 2- painfully slowly- for the past year or so.

I had a quick write up of what I wanted right after BG1's came out and I got started on that. Somewhere along the line I realized I could do much better and make it more interactive so I scrapped it entirely and started over. Since then it's been slow but steady progress and it competes with time for a few other projects, but it will get done.

The first IWD mod is coming out before Ishlilka part 2 though.
  • RabulizRabuliz Member Posts: 17
    Thanks Warchief! I’ve never played Icewind I’ll need to give it a try. Ish is be far my favorite BG1 NPC to date.
  • polymorphedsquirrelpolymorphedsquirrel Member Posts: 114
    edited June 2019
    Hi,
    I think your IshyM.bmp portrait has wrong aspect ratio.
    And is IshlilkaMother.png used in any way or provided for fluff?
    Post edited by polymorphedsquirrel on