Skip to content

What is YOUR Alignment?

Comments

• QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853

"ohh, I am such a bad asssss evil"... Sorry, could'nt help it.

I guess people have different interpretations of the alignments. But in my book, anyone who honestly believe themselves on the evil side of the scale should seek psychological help.

*Sigh* Chaotic Evil yes, the other two Evils are entirely legitimate and, in fact, VERY common; especially Neutral Evil, I see that everywhere.
  • DoveberryDoveberry Member Posts: 24
    I'm somewhere between Neutral Good and Chaotic good, I suppose. At least I'd like to *think* I'm good most of the time. Hm. This was a tough one.
  • NuinNuin Member Posts: 451
    edited November 2012
    Chaotic Neutral (or my actions would lean towards it). Neutral because I'm definitely not altruistic nor am I a malicious person, Chaotic because I actually do have issues with traditions and (in principle) social structures (if you're confused, think about it - if the "Lawful" types are the defenders/protectors of the law, traditions and social structures, in principle at least, then the opposite must be...).

And no, I do not go out of my way to "justify" my alignment like confused people nor is there anything particularly random with the things I do (Why does everyone equate randomness with Chaotic Neutral? Crazy people are simply an example. It's like saying True Neutral people should act like animals and eat their poo because animals display True Neutral behavior).
  • AbelAbel Member Posts: 785
    Good or Evil don't matter as much as balance between every force. Whichever conduct suits best for a given situation should be used.
  • ShadowWolfShadowWolf Member Posts: 33
    everybody loves a crazy psychopath bent on destruction
  • I have gotten True Neutral on quizzes and then Chaotic Neutral on quizzes, then Neutral Good or Chaotic Good. Someone on a forum called Neutral Good, I personally think i'm a combination of all those alignments. But if you wanna try to stick me in an alignment based on which alignment lines up the best with what i described good luck lol. I believe that everyone should be free to do whatever they want as long as they are ready to face the consequences of their actions. I also don't believe that good or evil exists, as they are just labels people slap on actions without considering their intentions behind said actions these individuals do Like for example: I will do actions that people deem "good" for the sake of doing it very rarely. But most of the time i do it to make myself feel good and because i figure eventually it will end up delivering a big payoff for me which it has so far, i also follow the same logic for doing things people deem "bad" like fucking with people without caring about their feelings, unless i think they are too weak to handle it. I also absolutely adore money and will take every opportunity i have to get it whether its mooching it off of someone or guilting someone into giving it to me without giving it a second thought, i also am very selfish and will go to extreme lengths to make sure that i have lots and lots for me and forget everyone else because i'm paranoid that if i don't keep it in my vicinity it will all be taken from me and that is not acceptable. I also don't trust anyone at all no matter what they are considered and think that they are out to oppress me one way or another whether its rules and regulations, some social construct nonsense they keep trying to shove down my throat or people in cars that block my way when i'm trying to get somewhere in which i respond to with lots of curse words. Three more things: i crave attention but only the kind of attention where i'm lusted after otherwise i will become hostile and flip out. And i hate the idea of gender, because then i'm very limited if i go with being a male or female as both are oppressed out the ying yang. And lastly i don't use violence of any kind because i'm not prepared for it and i don't trust that they will just fight back but instead try to sue and use the law to screw me over evenmore.
  • MurrayConfederacyMurrayConfederacy Member Posts: 188
    Lawful Neutral is my favourite alignment, following Helm has never been so much fun!
  • ARKdeEREH said:

I considered myself chaotic good until I became disillusioned with Baldur's Gate's alignment system since many of the 'good' people in the game do things that I consider evil. Since then, I consider myself neutral in the Baldur's Gate system, which translates to good in my own way of thinking.

So, I guess I would be either chaotic good or chaotic neutral depending on your perspective.

When I took the alignment quiz that someone on here posted a few weeks ago it said that my alignment was either neutral good or chaotic good.

Sounds like Chaotic Neutral with a huge lean towards "good" in your own way but meh!!!
  • Yemeth said:

I'm gonna deep fry your dog and eat your momma's face. And I'm going to wear your little brother's skin like pajamas!

Good luck with that lol!!!
  • "ohh, I am such a bad asssss evil"... Sorry, could'nt help it.

I guess people have different interpretations of the alignments. But in my book, anyone who honestly believe themselves on the evil side of the scale should seek psychological help.

Going by that, how would you intrepret me based on what i put in?
  • AlexDeLargeAlexDeLarge Member Posts: 273
    A good portion of my semi recent past i have dabbled in a constant morally grey area. Right or wrong, good or bad, i just followed whatever i felt suited my needs and desires best. Also had a (not so) brief period when i turned chaotic evil, therapy helped set me on a better path though.
  • everybody loves a crazy psychopath bent on destruction

Do they now?
  • ElectricMonkElectricMonk Member Posts: 599
    edited November 2012
    I've received a huge range of different alignments from a variety of those alignment quizzes, even received pretty different results taking the same quiz (I just retook the one on the Wizards website and got Neutral Good, but I got Chaotic Evil last time I took it). So I guess chaotic neutral makes the most sense for me, I'm pretty unpredictable and rarely stray too far toward the good or evil ends of the spectrum.

Also, I'm pretty sure that most people in the world would fall into the neutral evil alignment better than any other, and you can just look around at the condition of the world to see evidence of it. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but everyone is pretty much just serving their own interests, even if they like to tell themselves otherwise. Psychological Egoism and all that.
    Post edited by ElectricMonk on
  • MERLANCEMERLANCE Member Posts: 421
    I went by something I saw in Icewind Dale II. Always made sense to me.
    How To Be An Adventurer

This ludicrously huge and heavy book - more a compilation of volumes in a single binding than anything else - claims to be an extensive manual on the "fine art of adventuring". Its many chapters include:
    Henchmen: Loyal Companions or Seedy Pack-Mules?
    Making Your Kit Work for You
    101 Uses for a 10' Pole
    Catapults: Yes, That's as Far as it Shoots
    Getting the Most Out of Your Party's Thief
    Today's Tinderbox - It's Not Just For Lighting Torches Anymore
    Dungeons to Tackle: Stinky Pieter's Halls o' Poorly Guarded Gold
    The Caves of Soundly Sleeping Monsters
    Archmage "Loose-Bowels" Wozley the Milksop's Enchanted Item Warehouse
    The Wooden Citadel of Darmos the Old and Crippled
    Uncle Fralin's Tool Shed
    ... and more!

Dungeons To Avoid Like the Crotch-Rot: The Iron Fortress of Blodaz, Devourer of Souls
    Dominara the Erinyes' Nine-Layered Brothel of Violent Emasculation (No Slaking... or Slating... Allowed)
    The Crimson Hell-Pit of One Billion Miserable Deaths
    Uncle Fralin's Bedroom
    ... and more!

Your Lantern and You
    Twelve Uses for Twelve Iron Spikes
    99 Uses for That Little Hammer That Comes With Twelve Iron Spikes
    Face It, You're Actually 'Neutral Evil'
    The King's Lovely Daughter: Look But Don't Touch
    Don't Put Your Hand in That Dark Hole
  • BaldursCatBaldursCat Member Posts: 432
    edited November 2012
    I think I fall between NG/CG/N. I don't consider myself lawful good, not because I actively look to break the rule of law but I tend to have a fairly healthy disrespect for authority and if I can find a way to bend a rule I think is silly, I will. I learned fairly early on in life subversion often gets you a lot further and get away with rather a lot more than active rulebreaking, although it helps if you foster the image of a goody-two-shoes before you start on this path ;)

EDIT: & How do I change my poll answer ;)
    Post edited by BaldursCat on
  • SenashSenash Member Posts: 405
    The test which was posted in Mortianna's topic (What is your PC's alignment?) put me between CG and CN. I think I may be a bit closer to CG, so I picked it here. I don't like the big powers working in our world, I prefer freedom, I have a lot of mood swings and I really like to help people. But I do tend to get on the evil side sometimes, being a bit selfish and I do have some radical thoughts that would involve doing bad things... But not that much and mostly for the general good, so I thought CG.
    However my main PC, who will be a sorcerer, will most likely be CN for two reasons: 1. Because I believe that power corrupts everyone, so if I would wield that much arcane power I might end up a little more selfish. 2. Because I get a cat as a familiar! ^^
  • RemorhazRemorhaz Member Posts: 26
    Mortianna said:

The recent, but little-known film, "God Bless America," by Bobcat Goldthwait is my anthem.

Thanks for this recommendation :). It seems to be right up my misanthropic alley. Downloading now!
  • KurakaiKurakai Member Posts: 18
    Chaotic Neutral.
    I love playing a down right b*stard of a character both in pen and paper Dungeons and Dragons!
    (Warning: this turned out to be a pretty serious post.)

I used to think I was chaotic good, but now I am not so sure. I have taken the Wizards online alignment test, and it said CHAOTIC EVIL. I was initially like "Wut?" but this part of the description, in particular, seems true of me: "Chaotic evil is the most dangerous alignment because it represents the destruction not only of beauty and life but of the order on which beauty and life depend." I am now hated?

I am pretty sure that if I took that same test when the original BG came out (at age 15) I would have landed somewhere among Good, possibly even neutral or lawful. Since then, I feel, I have lost my innocence and my naïveté, and have become sullen and bitter. So much so that I consider myself pretty misanthropic, and couldn't care less about random strangers, rules and regulations, anything political, and so on. People who know me would say "he hates almost everything." I can imagine myself killing someone if pushed into a corner. Still, I love my friends and would do anything for them. I also believe in not harming others - unless they have harmed you first. Basically I am indifferent to anyone I don't know, and I distrust and expect to be hurt or exploited by most, so I am always on my guard. Life turned out to be much more cruel than the intially (naïvely) good childhood Remorhaz could have anticipated, and I feel the old 'good' me is dead. Still, if an old lady falls flat on her face right before me, and no one else is rushing to help her first, I would.
    I now pretty much isolate myself in my home (where I also work), won't consider taking a new girlfriend, and play BG (my true love ;)) and drink beer. I don't want to hurt anyone; I just don't want to see anyone but my friends.

Oh, also I have this big black beard.

In light of this, do I still classify as evil? I truly don't know if becoming bitter and generally hateful makes you evil, or just.....sad, or something. Thoughts?
  • DuronDuron Member Posts: 134
    I am Neutral Good. No question there. I always act as a good person and help others to the best of my abbility. Somethimes I act as Lawful good, somethimes as Chaotic good, but overall I am trying to help all in need which often gets me into situations where I get really disapointed in other people.

Specially when I do what is best for the group and always see people doing things only for their self interest. Maybe that is why I prefer playing Support in LOL as my job is to help others be better. My most played classes are clerics and bards which also shows that I preffer to support others. I am a supporter IRL also, acting as a friendly councilor to everyone around me rarely caring about myself.
  • RomulanPaladinRomulanPaladin Member Posts: 188
    Remorhaz said:

Oh, also I have this big black beard.

In light of this, do I still classify as evil? I truly don't know if becoming bitter and generally hateful makes you evil, or just.....sad, or something. Thoughts?

A wise, er... SOME GUY once told me to "never trust a man with a mustache." Of course, this is the same guy who once said "no one ever eats the anorexic chicken."

Don't bother asking for clarification about what any of that means; I'm not sure myself.
  • Pluc082Pluc082 Member Posts: 80
    Lawfull Good for an only reason, i'm a paladin!
  • CommunardCommunard Member Posts: 556
    The "I take joy from the suffering of others" option is at a combined 11%...OK maybe this forum isn't as nice as I thought!
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    edited November 2012
    Nuin said:

Chaotic Neutral (or my actions would lean towards it). Neutral because I'm definitely not altruistic nor am I a malicious person, Chaotic because I actually do have issues with traditions and (in principle) social structures (if you're confused, think about it - if the "Lawful" types are the defenders/protectors of the law, traditions and social structures, in principle at least, then the opposite must be...).

And no, I do not go out of my way to "justify" my alignment like confused people nor is there anything particularly random with the things I do (Why does everyone equate randomness with Chaotic Neutral? Crazy people are simply an example. It's like saying True Neutral people should act like animals and eat their poo because animals display True Neutral behavior).

Yea CN doesnt really mean 'random'. It just means having no personal desire towards either good or evil, no desire to either help or harm others, no desire to abide by any law, especially ones you disagree with, and putting your own happiness above everything else. Like CG, CNs live according to their own moral compass, but a CG would be driven to be kind and benevolent to others, while a CN wouldnt be bothered about that.
  • LeematonLeematon Member Posts: 33
    Neutral Good or True Neutral. Haven't decided which yet.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @Remorhaz, I don't think you're evil. I'm a lot like you are - I keep myself isolated, don't trust people as a general principle, would rather play Baldur's Gate than go out and be around people, and I drink too much. I have become cynical and disillusioned with life, but maybe not quite to the extent you describe about yourself. Basically, if I didn't have to earn a paycheck for groceries and to keep the computer turned on, I'd never leave my house.

I interpret my own behavior as "neutral". I define "evil" as "active enjoyment in harming others, and seeking to do so as often as possible."

Once we're getting this serious about self-reflection, I think we are demonstrating why the D&D alignment system utterly fails as any kind of serious psychological or ethical theory. It is simply too simple. Real people are much too complex to be placed as a point on a square graph with only two axes and four poles.

The D&D alignment system is for fun only, and is meant to provide a general description (very general) of the expected behaviors of fictional characters.

Sometimes, as it is here, it does make a good jumping-off point for serious, real life, self-reflection, but you need to go to deeper writings on psychology and philosophy to get valuable personal insights, that are written to that purpose, and not for a game.
    @belgarathmth, First off, it surprises me that you chose Lawful Good in the poll :P, considering how you described yourself. "If I didn't have to earn a paycheck for groceries and to keep the computer turned on, I'd never leave my house." > Exactly. I would just play games, invite friends, drink beer, listen to music, jerk off and write.

Naturally, the D&D alignment system isn't a sufficient psychological tool at all, but answering the poll and taking that test made me wonder. For the millionth time, obviously. Mainly, the "evil" part made me wonder if I have become a bad person in any way, even while sticking to my principle of "never hurt anyone who has not hurt you first". Whatever the case, I am definitely utterly unhappy, but though this doesn't make anyone 'evil', it can, presumably, drive people to treat others differently.

This is not the best place at all for such a discussion, I know, but my days consist of counting down to the 28th, and I was here and I just started writing on the subject ;). Thanks for replying, anyway, and enjoy the game when it is released :).
  • RavelRavel Member Posts: 140
    I chose Lawful Neutral, but if I had to scale myself numerically from 1-100 on each (1 being the Chaotic/Evil end, and 100 being the Lawful/Good end), I would be Lawful (95)/Neutral(65). I'm borderline Lawful/Good.
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    Neutral Good, with Chaotic tendencies.
    I want to do good, and if I have to follow laws or not follow laws to do it, then I will or won't! Chaotic tendencies come from emotionally charged responses to things.

Now, as far as the Original/BECMI system goes, I want to say Neutral, with Lawful tendencies.
  • I'm Lawful Good. "Good" because anything less than good only leads to misery in the long term, and "Lawful" because order and structure seem to be natural fruits of good intent, while selfishness and evil ultimately thrive best without order.

In a case of clear conflict, I'll always choose the "Good" part over the "Law" part, but I trust God's perfect plan over my own imperfect moral compass.