Skip to content

Override NPC portraits?

I'm not finding where the folder is in the steam version of this game. I want to over-ride viconia with a much better drow portrait of her original portrait. Someone altered it to give her the dark skin, red eyes and white hair she should have.

Comments

• PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    Portraits follow a kind of hierachy the ones in user/yourID/documents/Baldur's Gate (1 or2)/portraits are highest, followed by GameFolder/override followed by the stored ones in original game data.
  • OniDaimyoOniDaimyo Member Posts: 25
    that doesnt tell me how to find it and do it. I have a much better portrait for Viconia I want to use.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    I don't know exactly what the file structure might be in a Steam install, since that's not how I installed the games.

However, I assume it can't be too radically different from other structures. Therefore, in the same place as your "save" folder (somewhere under Baldur's Gate in your user folders), there should also be a folder (i.e. alongside "save" and "mpsave" and "bpsave", etc.) called "portraits" (or you can manually create "portraits" if it isn't already there). Then put your preferred alternative image in that folder.

Once that's done, you should be able to change Viconia's portrait to the new one by loading your saved game into EEkeeper.
  • OniDaimyoOniDaimyo Member Posts: 25
    I figured it out. You CAN override them from the regular old portraits folder. The very same one for the PC. However if you do this you will need a picture for L, M, and S. Or maybe just L and S. But I did this and it gave Viconia the altered portrait. Its the same one she had but the skin, hair and eyes are changed to a drow and it looks great. :D
  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905
    Interesting - I've never been able to do this. The only way I can change NPC portraits is by putting the new ones in the override folder, and I only need L and M versions. EE Keeper won't do it for me (though it's helpful in finding the correct filenames for the portraits I want to override). I don't have a Steam install, however so maybe it's different. Or maybe my version of EE Keeper is outdated.
  • GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    edited June 2017
    I have tried to find the original discussion which mentions this, but have a copy of the NPC tweak which works very well:

Allow customization for all characters

Hello,

This small tweak will allow you to customize (change the portrait, the color, the biography, ...) of all characters in your group and not only the main protagonist directly in game.

To do this, search and remove all occurrence of this code in the UI.menu file:

clickable lua
    "
    characterScreen:IsAppearanceButtonClickable();
    "

If someone knows where this was, please point to it as credit goes where it is due...

Thanks
    Gus

Edit: Found
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/60501/tweak-allow-customization-for-all-characters

and it is part of the EEUITweaks Mod
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/60717/mod-eeuitweaks-mod-collection-all-ee-v2-2-platforms/p1