Skip to content

What's your favorite BG Dungeon?

Comments

• JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    The Firewine Ruins are such a ball ache, just glad there aren't any fat NPCs.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    I like the Ice Island. I find it challenging but survivable. Durlag's Tower is way too hard for me. I really can't do puzzles and last time out I had to resort to a walkthrough just to work out how to open some of the doors. (I can't remember how I finished it all those years ago when I first played Baldur's Gate because I know I didn't use walkthroughs back then. Maybe I just had more perseverance?)
  • jolly_bbjolly_bb Member Posts: 122
    Never liked dungeons too much. In fact it makes me wonder why would i play D&D game in the first place... I guess i just like outdoors and cities :) Occasional dungeon/cave is not bad, but only if it has a nice story and it's SMALL / NOT DEEP.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    jolly_bb said:

Never liked dungeons too much. In fact it makes me wonder why would i play D&D game in the first place... I guess i just like outdoors and cities :) Occasional dungeon/cave is not bad, but only if it has a nice story and it's SMALL / NOT DEEP.

I like them, but I must recognize that dungeons are *stressful* - that's where you have to concentrate your strategies and spells.
  • jolly_bbjolly_bb Member Posts: 122
    DJKajuru said:

I like them, but I must recognize that dungeons are *stressful* - that's where you have to concentrate your strategies and spells.

Not even, mostly they're boring for me. Enjoyed parts of Watcher's Keep due to story and overall concept. Enjoyed few other things. But having e.g. 3 consecutive levels of dungeon with nothing but traps and mobs to kill before the boss is not something i'm looking for. Otherwise i'd be playing Diablo.

• Eldoth_KronEldoth_Kron Member Posts: 18
    The very first try (and emphasis on the word TRY) of Durlag's Tower. Some parts of the Tower were just plain hard for me back then.
  • ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531
    Playing Durlag's Tower without a thief can be one of the most epically challenging/interesting feats in the series.
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    Or more like playing it without a thief is walking in with a death sentance on your head.
    ARKdeEREH said:

Playing Durlag's Tower without a thief can be one of the most epically challenging/interesting feats in the series.

I have once, while Imoen was dual classing - it took a lot of mirror image and stoneskins from my sorcerer, in order to resist the traps.
    edited November 2012
    DJKajuru said:

ARKdeEREH said:

I have once, while Imoen was dual classing - it took a lot of mirror image and stoneskins from my sorcerer, in order to resist the traps.
    That sounds like a very difficult undertaking. I don't dual class characters so I'm not completely sure what that would do to her trap abilities. Was she not able to disable traps anymore?

I did it with a party of 3rd playthrough BG2 characters that I had imported into Tutu so that I could roleplay the god of murder and reign over the Sword Coast. I only encountered two parts of Tutu that were actually difficult for that party and Durlag's Tower was one of them. I didn't have a thief so two of my NPCs were killed by traps in Durlag's Tower. There was a trap where a wall moved that did over 200 damage and another one where daggers would keep going striking my NPC until she died, even though she had succeeded in running 75% of the way across the level and there were several walls in the way.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    ARKdeEREH said:

That sounds like a very difficult undertaking. I don't dual class characters so I'm not completely sure what that would do to her trap abilities. Was she not able to disable traps anymore?

In the interim period until the dualing is complete, you lose all abilities of the class you are dualing from. I.e. when dualing from a thief, you can't use thief abilities like disarm traps until you reach (level you dualed at +1) with the new class.

• srvksrvk Member Posts: 65
    None, because of
    1) pathfinding issues
    2) the traps remained at the same place so you knew how to avoid them in the next playthrough
    3) same for puzzles
    4) i never had the feeling of being trapped in a dungeon, i could leave whenever I wanted, ressurect fallen comrades at a temple, buy provisions etc and return to clear the next level
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    It would be nice to see a mod that relocates and randomises every trap in the game, similar to the Item Randomiser mod.
  • PhælinPhælin Member Posts: 316
    Cloakwood Mines - sure, Durlag's Tower is great and all but it was meant to be, as a part of the expansion. Cloakwood Mines are just from the original game, and have this marvelous feeling whilst playing. I enjoy the atmosphere during that particular adventure and the ending fight is one of my favourites. Great ending also.
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    Agreed, The Cloakwood mines is very well developed, filled with interesting encounters and mini-side quests.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    What on earth are the five people who voted for firewine ruins smoking?
    ajwz said:

Fire arrow fetish? ;p

ajwz said:

Fire arrow fetish? ;p
    I remember exploding hordes of kobolds with my wand of fire!
    ARKdeEREH said:

DJKajuru said:

ARKdeEREH said:

I did it with a party of 3rd playthrough BG2 characters that I had imported into Tutu so that I could roleplay the god of murder and reign over the Sword Coast. I only encountered two parts of Tutu that were actually difficult for that party and Durlag's Tower was one of them. I didn't have a thief so two of my NPCs were killed by traps in Durlag's Tower. There was a trap where a wall moved that did over 200 damage and another one where daggers would keep going striking my NPC until she died, even though she had succeeded in running 75% of the way across the level and there were several walls in the way.
    1-You become unable to use your previous class' abilities until you have reached one level above that one.
    2-You need to haste yourself and pass through that smashing wall quick.
    3-Ya need stoneskin to deflect these endless knives!
  • toanwrathtoanwrath Member Posts: 621
    Disregarding the Basilisks on the second floor outside, I don't have any problems with it. However, Watcher's Keep and the Amaunator temple ruins from BG2 are my favorites of the series.
    Shin said:

ARKdeEREH said:

In the interim period until the dualing is complete, you lose all abilities of the class you are dualing from. I.e. when dualing from a thief, you can't use thief abilities like disarm traps until you reach (level you dualed at +1) with the new class.

Interesting. I might try dual classing someone at level 39 sometime. It could make for a very interesting next playthrough with the promise of a great reward at the end.
  • SamuelVargSamuelVarg Member Posts: 598
    Wich one is "Thieves Maze"?

The labirynth that leads to the Undercity , below the thieves' guild.
    ARKdeEREH said:

Interesting. I might try dual classing someone at level 39 sometime. It could make for a very interesting next playthrough with the promise of a great reward at the end.

You'd be Bhaal's Avatar that way ;D.
  • SamuelVargSamuelVarg Member Posts: 598
    DJKajuru said:

The labirynth that leads to the Undercity , below the thieves' guild.
    I can't recall this one at all... When, in the game, is it?
    Is it the one at the end?
    Exactly, @SamuelVarg , the one at the end.
    the one with the doomknight? it took me about a dozen times to make it though there the first time! ;/
  • Aris4lifeAris4life Member Posts: 103
    In BG 1 it might be the Mines of Nashkhell. It's pretty hard to say in BG2...but i might go for the sphere of the planes (not sure if i called it right...i played BG in german). Other places i liked were the Asylum and the Underdark. In ToB i will go for the Watcher's keep.
  • GoodSteveGoodSteve Member Posts: 607
    I was a fan of the Cloakwood Mines. You find the best cleric in the game there, it's a good spot to raise or lower your rep (depending on how you handle the whole "plug" situation) and the end fight with Davaeorn was one of my favorite fights in the game. It can be quite challenging if you set off the trap that summons the battle horrors... (or helmed horrors, not sure which) sometimes I'd set it off just for fun :)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.