Skip to content

Linux game sales statistics

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
Hi there, everyone!

I've been browsing the Internet and found this: https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/linux-game-sales-statistics-from-multiple-developers-part-5.10064/

Here's how Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition sold on Steam:
91.74% - Windows
6.22% - Mac
2.04% - Linux

Additionally, these are install numbers from the Beamdog Client:
91.13% - Windows
6.38% - Mac
2.49% - Linux

Here’s what Beamdog CTO, Scott Brooks says about Linux support: "We really think the Infinity Engine games are something special and work hard to bring them to people that might not otherwise be able to play them. We've worked with professional and volunteer translators to help bring Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition to 14 languages, and we add things like Story Mode to help people who otherwise would have a hard time playing these great games. We've ported an engine that was originally built in the 16bit to 32bit transition to 64bit in order to let people continue enjoying these games. There are people on Linux that would love to play our games specifically on Linux, and we would love to let them".

Comments

• lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Most interesting split. It seems that Mac and Linux are not very profitable, or if they are, then the sales for Windows must be hugely profitable.

I wonder how the sale split is for hand held devices.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DrakeICNDrakeICN Member Posts: 623
    lroumen said:

I wonder how the sale split is for hand held devices.

Probably it's barely profitable, if that, considering SoD is still not out. Hairebrained Schemes right out said, following Dragonfall, that they wont release any more titles on handhelds. Which I find odd - on my computer, I play things like Fallout 3 and the witcher and other things that require computing power. BG I think was made for the format.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Bg is so low level on requirements that it is indeed prefect for hand helds. That is why i think it should do quite well on them. On the other hand, a lot of people like mods and they are not ready to get going on hand helds.
    Hence my curiosity.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    @JuliusBorisov - Slightly OT, but how do Mac sales in the App Store compare to Mac sales via Beamdog Client and Steam? Is the App Store a sizable chunk of overall Mac sales, or a drop in the bucket?
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211

@JuliusBorisov - Slightly OT, but how do Mac sales in the App Store compare to Mac sales via Beamdog Client and Steam? Is the App Store a sizable chunk of overall Mac sales, or a drop in the bucket?

My guess would be there is a distinction between MacOS and iOS?
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    edited August 2017
    @Lord_Tansheron - I'm asking about Mac App Store vs Mac sales on Beamdog/Steam/GOG, not iOS sales. Just curious what fraction of Mac users buy from the App Store vs other venues.

Mostly out of academic curiosity. :smile: