Skip to content

New DLC (character portraits)

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
    NubadArctodusThacoBellthemazingness
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    edited August 2017
    @Nubad

About the first quote:

It's one of the basic rules of economics. If you invest in something you are neglecting something because the resources are limited.

It doesn't mean that you are neglecting entirely, but you're not putting all the effort you could.

And do so to give something that wasn't required seems to me like a bad choice. Especially when there are things urgently required, like IWDEE upgrade, iOS/Android compatibility, german dub, so it goes.

If Beamdog wishes to increase its profit, there are tons of easy to do things that people already stated that would pay for. Trying to achieve this by giving something not required and that can be easily obtained for free is a bad management move.

About the second quote:

Thanks for the heads up. It sounded arrogant indeed and that was not my intention. I mean that I saw some clients complaining about minor changes in the game. Enough for me, if I was Beamdog, not changing anything that doesn't requires a change.

As my old man says: if it's not broken don't fix it.
    Nubad
  • TyromancerTyromancer Member Posts: 4
    I have to agree with the commentary I'm seeing about the portrait pack seeming like a random and perhaps unnecessary content addition. My first thought was that it didn't seem like the sort of thing players wanted and then when I actually saw the portraits they didn't exactly fit the style I was expecting either. The Rasaad, Neera and Dorn portraits fit in seamlessly but these portraits seem more fitting for Icewind Dale than Baldur's Gate. I'm not really an angry entitled fan or anything I'm just a little confused by it.
    Loldrup

None of these portraits interest me, but I don't see a problem with cheap portrait DLC. It's just Beamdog commissioning an artist to draw them. It doesn't draw time away from programming or bug fixing.

The same agreement could be done with a freelancer programmer.

The same guy from Beamdog that got in touch with the artist could be solving the German dub issue.

And so it goes.

But the deed is done now and there's no turning back.
    [Deleted User]
  • themazingnessthemazingness Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 702
    edited August 2017
    Raduziel said:

Apparently, it is not read by Beamdog. Since I got shot in service I spend a lot of time in this forum and I never saw any request for portraits. And I don't remember seeing any request in this direction.

I, likewise, wish you well. I can relate a bit. It isn't a gunshot, nor something as honorable as a service wound, but I have low cerebrospinal fluid volume and get a lot of blurred and double vision with light and sound sensitive headaches. We just figured this out so I'm hoping we have a surgical solution soon, but I've been dealing with it for years with misdiagnosis all over the place. I like the forums because they are not only a time killer, but they are a place I can read much more comfortably (grey text on black background is amazing).
    RaduzielAedanLoldrupOrlonKronsteen
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    edited August 2017
    @Raduziel get well, and soon. I can sympathize because I'm going through some serious health issues myself, and it sucks. But I always remember the kids I've seen at cancer hospitals and remember that whatever happens I made my forties and was able to walk out. It helps keep perspective.
    RaduzielOrlonKronsteen
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DurenasDurenas Member Posts: 508
    A programmer doesn't do portraits. A QA doesn't do portraits. A game designer doesn't do portraits.
    AndrewFoley
    edited August 2017
    @Durenas that's true, but none here AFAIK asked for a portrait, so it was a waste of time and money running after someone who does it. But that is my last talk about this matter, my idea here was to give some free advice to Beamdog. The company can take it or ignore it. I'm not taking anything I say here out of the hat, anyone who had studied Business Management or Economics knows what I said.

@Papa_Lou thanks, dude. TBH this forum is helping me a lot - makes time pass faster and is helping me learn some new things like modding.

@themazingness Ouch, wish you well. Hope the docs can make a precise diagnostic and be able to patch you up ASAP. And being shot is not something to be proud of or honorable. The whole idea is to literally dodge a bullet lol. Thanks for the support.

@tbone1 Yeah, there is always somewhere to look out for inspiration. I'm 29 now and quite happy that I avoided the wheelchair. All I need is time to heal and try to make the best of this earlier retirement from the military. I'll spend some long time doing physiotherapy and will try to sketch something to get my doctorate degree. Maybe I'll become a teacher or a consultant, IDK. Hope for a quick recovery for you.

At least now I have a story that will never make Christmas boring again. When I was 9 I fell from quite a high tree and luckily broke only a leg. When I was 20 I got hit by a car and broke some ribs and both arms. Now a gunshot. Looks like I have a high Constitution score. Like people use to say: what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Another death evasion and I'll be able to unlock HLA, I guess.
    tbone1bleusteel
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    @Sirick
    Sirick said:

If you're going to go to all the trouble of doing this, at least have the artist match the new portraits to the style of BG. As others have pointed out there are already millions of free portraits out there so make the official DLC ones stand out by seamlessly slipping into the games world.

This is a problem I've had with most of the Beamdog portraits, it just seems lazy.
    Not to bash the artist at all, please don't misread.

Same character, different styles to match the games.
    If a schmuck sitting at home can do, Beamdog can do better.

I've been saying this for ages. Glad I'm not the only one.
    AndreaColombo
  • UlbUlb Member Posts: 295
    If this pack had high quality original portraits in BG2 style that would be something.
    From the looks of it however these portraits have nothing in common with the classic ones and I fail to see why I would want them over any of the countless high quality portraits I can get from deviantart or other places for free?
    Raduziel
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457
    "Artist's cave"

Why are they kept in a cave
    Papa_LouThacoBellLoldrup[Deleted User]
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870

Vallmyr said:

"Artist's cave"

Haven't you seen cave paintings? Obviously the cave has been the artists' domain for ages.
    Truer words were never cave painted!

It's common Stone Age knowledge that workplaces located in caves equals to recreation holidays. Thus said employees have no claim to request days off from work.
    themazingness[Deleted User]
  • LoldrupLoldrup Member Posts: 291
    edited August 2017
    Vallmyr said:

"Artist's cave"

Well, why are Gnolls and baby Wyverns kept in caves?
    I guess it was ultimately *artists* who decided to put them there, right? For reasons concocted by them very selves, in their very own minds, right?
    Perhaps this, after some deep introspection, triggered the artists to realise that they were probably best of sharing a similar fate, for reasons eerily alike to those they had concocted for the cave dwellers that they by now had already destined to be just so.
    Reasons we might never know of. Reasons that hint of some inscrutable homomorphism between beast and man - indeed - between beast and artist! An opaque, mystic, shared fate only ever unveiled by the spirits of the muses. Revealed exclusively by themselves and for themselves. And perhaps Gnolls. And Peter (of the) North. (Who were, incidentally!, both a cave dweller and an artist.. You see? The pieces are falling together now)
    [Deleted User]
  • themazingnessthemazingness Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 702
    Here's a look into the artistic process at Beamdog:
    Loldrup
  • wongoliwongoli Member Posts: 8
    The portraits are good and fit the BG2 theme (imo) but I honestly wish we had more BG1 styled portraits. I love how all the portraits had powerful facial expressions and they looked realistic instead of painted, it really brings life to the characters. Xzar is a perfect example, his portrait matches perfectly on what you expect to see from him.

It's still great to see more content coming to the game!
    ShikaoPapa_Lou
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,524
    wongoli said:

I honestly wish we had more BG1 styled portraits. I love how all the portraits had powerful facial expressions and they looked realistic instead of painted, it really brings life to the characters.

There's no end to how much I agree with this.

On an unrelated note, I'm fairly sure the portrait pack was drawn by Kieran Yanner. Looks very much like his style.
    Shikao
  • ShikaoShikao Member Posts: 376

On an unrelated note, I'm fairly sure the portrait pack was drawn by Kieran Yanner. Looks very much like his style.

Well, it's no mystery. It evens says he is the author on Steam =P
    JuliusBorisov
    That's what I get for having no Steam account, I guess. Kieran Yanner is not one of Beamdog's in-house artists, FWIW.
  • ShikaoShikao Member Posts: 376
    @AndreaColombo, no need for Steam account to browse Steam store =]
    I know, but I don't have many reasons to do so since I'm not interested in buying anything from them ;)
    ThacoBell
  • PhælinPhælin Member Posts: 316
    The good:
    - more portraits is always fine

The bad:
    - these portraits stand out from the originals
    - not all races are covered up
    - you can get loads of custom portaits for free
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Shikao said:

@AndreaColombo, no need for Steam account to browse Steam store =]

It was mentioned on our blog, so :)

http://blog.beamdog.com/2017/08/new-portrait-pack-faces-of-good-and-evil.html
    AndreaColomboShikao
    All right, all right, I'm out of excuses ;)
    JuliusBorisovPapa_Lou