Skip to content

Northern Tales of the Sword Coast (NTotSC) for BG:EE (and BGT and EET) - Download

Comments

• kiwidockiwidoc Member Posts: 1,437
    edited June 2022
    I know there are people still offering help on technical modding issues for this mod, but I can't find a thread offering advice on various quest issues, so I am posting here for help.

Regarding the quest in the new Dungeon in the Morninglord Temple Area
    I've beaten the Demon, got the Khozak(?sp) Idol, been to Ulcaster, got the ancient armour and collected the sword off the ghost. I returned with the Vampiric Sword and Torquion is now at rest. However after he gave me the quest and asked me to put him to rest, he told me that I'd find some "useful items" in his chamber - but both containers in his burial chamber are empty.
    Can anyone offer me some advice?

Edited: Merged from a separate thread into this one as requested by @jastey
    Post edited by Arvia on
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,673
    There should be items in his chamber, both in the chest and the other container. What game are you on?
    edited June 2022
    I'm playing BG:EE latest version from Beamdog with SoD installed as well.

Mods installed:
    Artisan's Kitpack
    Skitia's Emily, Helga & Vienxay
    Wandcase
    Shades of the Sword Coast
    G3's Tweak Pack Anthology

p.s. I forgot to ask earlier if the readme in the NtoSC docs folder shows all the current NPC's & Quests (For example is Jet'lya no longer part of NtotSC?)
    edited June 2022
    The Italian files attached above are in utf8, I'd need them in ANSI. In case anyone can reach out to @improbabile or can provide the Italian tra files attached here and here in ANSI let me know.

Also, note to translators: upcoming v5.0.0 has new lines which are already included in the GitHub master:
    Translation needed are German, Italian, Russian.
    new tra file:
    -tactical.tra

new lines:
    in setup.tra: @556 - @573; @55134 - @55140
    in setup-ee.tra: @557, @559, @561, @563

changed lines:
    in setup.tra: @550
    in setup-ee.tra: @550
    in journal.tra: @10104.
    Post edited by jastey on
    Jet'lya never was part of NTotSC, that's DSotSC.

The containers should contain items. They are fix in the are file, not added by script that could choke or the likes. You could open the are file "ar9305.are" with Near Infinity and see what items are in the containers "Conta01" and "Conta02", at least for the unvisited area. You can compare them to "ar9305.are" in "ntotsc/base/are/bgee/nostring/". If they differ, something happened inside your game.
    @Caedwyr belated thanks for your review you posted here! I linked to it from the first post.
    edited June 2022
    @Caedwyr
    Caedwyr wrote: »
    The Temple of the Black Hand is supposed to be located Northeast of Ulgoth's Beard, however it is actually located southeast on the map. The area is also labeled on the map with a different name. I'd suggest changing the map name to Wood of Sharp Teeth as is constantly referenced in the dialogues and quest text.

To the location of the Temple of the Black Hand (AR60PB): the location is actually consistent with what is said in the game, but the directions might be misleading. This is was Reedrig says:
    If you want to find them go to the Wood of the Sharp Teeth, then further to the east and slightly north. But I wouldn't expect a warm welcome if I were you...
    This is the journal entry:
    The Cult of the Black Hand

It seems the Cult of the Black Hand can be found northeast in the Wood of the Sharp Teeth.

The thing is, the area is northeast from the bandit camp, which is in the Wood of Sharp Teeth, so the temple is in the northeast of the wood, which is what the description is trying to say. I did not find any reference to it being described as being northeast from Ulgoths Beard.
    EDIT: changed the journal entry to "It seems the Cult of the Black Hand can be found in the northeast of the Wood of the Sharp Teeth."

The Woods of the Dead are supposed to be located south of the Fields of the Dead as per dialogue and the journal, but are actually located to the northeast.
    This is an issue for the EET map only; in BGT Worldmap and BG:EE the directions are consistent. It is a compromise with using the EET worldmap directly, so for EET, the description of where to find the Woods of the Dead area will be slightly off.

@Caedwyr
    Some issues that can be tidied up at the Northern Citadel, behind a spoiler.

Pique issues
    @14 = ~Aye, this is what I thought too! Once the main garrison returns from the Coast Way, they would simply replace him as captain. There is more to it, something stranger. I saw him when last dark fell, when he dragged off the monk Montgomery. It was a masterful ambush when night was darkest, and I thought myself lucky to have discovered him. A single snapped twig gave away his position, and I followed slow, ready to leap to rescue. I stopped meself short though, when he turned and looked RIGHT AT ME! He knew my every move, as though he PLANNED for me to see him! His face showed no such cunning at that moment though. Blank he was, blank as the night around us. I had not the nerve to approach, and his eyes seemed to show sadness when I did not move, though his face remained stone cold. He walked away slowly, almost haltingly, while I sat there shivering. Here, take this. He dropped it, and I know not what it means. I am done with this place. There is something most unnatural here, and I want no part of it. Fare you well.~

This line is used here in the .d and Pique does not give the player anything.
    I'll note this down as "Known Issues". The texts are unused lines from the original game that NTotSC connected to teh Citadel quest. I have no idea what Pique was supposed to give the group, either.

Lenore gives the RESTORE.itm scroll, which is the Restoration scroll sold at temples. The description of this item does not indicate it is capable of doing what you need to do.

Normal solutions to the problem, like Dispel Magic, Charm Person, Remove Magic, Chaotic Commands, Remove Curse do not resolve the situation as they should.

That's a good point. I addded Dispel Magic, Remove Magic, Remove Curse to the list of spells that will free the captain. I did not include Chaotic Commands and Charm Person because I am not sure how the quest would go if the commander was charmed or brought under control by other spells (turning hostile afterwards etc).
    Only Restoration freeing him from the mind control is original content but I always was a bit unhappy because it's not intuitive. I think havibng a greater choice of possibilities (that are consistent with lore) is a good thing.

Thanks for your reports!
    I'm still pondering what to do with the gazillion Shaman Cloaks.
    @jastey Thanks muchly for the replies.
    I have to confess my ignorance. I have no idea how to use Near Infinity :blush: I'll just leave it as I have plenty of cash and kit already.
    I've read a walkthrough which I found in the NTotSC folder after installing it. the author seems to be a bir confused about what was DSotSC, and what is NTotSC.
    edited June 2022
    @kiwidoc well, to be fair it's named "dsntotsc_walkthrough_old" :D (Or at least I wouldn't know any other walkthrough included into teh mod package). The two mods were treated as one in the past, almost all walkthroughs I know do mix the content. In addition, older walkthroughs for NTotSC are outdated, especially the "you need to do the quests in a certain order" warnings should no longer be an issue.
  • improbabileimprobabile Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 195
    jastey wrote: »
    The Italian files attached above are in utf8, I'd need them in ANSI. In case anyone can reach out to @improbabile or can provide the Italian tra files attached here and here in ANSI let me know.

Also, note to translators: upcoming v5.0.0 has new lines which are already included in the GitHub master:
    Translation needed are German, Italian, Russian.
    new tra file:
    -tactical.tra

new lines:
    in setup.tra: @556 - @573; @55134 - @55140
    in setup-ee.tra: @557, @559, @561, @563

changed lines:
    in setup.tra: @550
    in setup-ee.tra: @550
    in journal.tra: @10104.

Hi.
    I updated all the files. :)
    @improbabile Great! Thank you for coming back so quickly. Sorry for spamming you in several places.
    edited June 2022
    @improbabile I updated the needed lines at some point which wasn't very smart on my end. I'd need translations for:
    @566 = ~Quests and Encounters~

@569 = ~Nerfs~
    @570 = ~NPC~
    @571 = ~Reduce Number of Shaman Cloaks~
    @572 = ~Remove Cloaks from generic Orc Priests~
    @573 = ~Make Cloaks Undroppable~
    Cheers!
  • EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    Woods of the Dead:
    Can this location's directions change if using EET and world map to be correct?
    @Endarire it's correct for the Worldmap mod, yes, and that's also if it's used for EET.
    It's not that it couldn't be adjusted for EET, it would be changing a bunch of coordinates. It's just that I don't see where to so it all stays consistent and also takes into account all sorts of other mods, too.
    Attached see the worldmap locations.
    EET:
    yqzj4gxx66uz.jpg
    BG:EE+SoD:
    6tcepl5oxf5x.jpg
    Worldmapmod:
    mbermaodnn9r.jpg
  • EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    What about just having the quest giver reveal the location on the map and say how to reach the area through an adjoining area? That way, the direction (north or south) need not be mentioned since it's a simple case of, 'refer to map.'
    edited June 2022
    The area already gets revealed via the dialogue / when getting the journal entry. EDIT: Wait, I was thinking about a different area. I'd need to check.
    EDIT: that's a good idea. I added revealing of the area to Pandris dialogue for v 5.0.0.
    I am literally waiting for the Italian lines requested here to release the new version. No pressure. o:)
  • improbabileimprobabile Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 195
    @jastey

Done!! :)

@566 = ~Missioni e Incontri~

@569 = ~Nerf~
    @570 = ~PNG~
    @571 = ~Ridurre il Numero di Mantelli degli Sciamani~
    @572 = ~Rimuovere i Mantelli dai Sacerdoti Orchi Generici~
    @573 = ~Rendere i Mantelli non Scartabili~
    @improbabile great, thank you!
    NTotSC updates to v5.0.0!

The new version comes with 4 new components: new Tactical challenges by Angel (Improved Lesser Fiends; Improved Haeball; Improved General Ghotal) and one nerf by jastey (Reduce Number of Shaman Cloaks, with two options).

The Polish and Italian versions were revised, thank you to @Roberciiik (Polish) and @improbabile (Italian)!

The install was splitted in 4 categories which can be selected before the actual install will start: Tactical Challenges, Quests and Encounters, Nerfs, NPC.

Also, many minor fixes and improvements. Thank you to everyone for their numerous contributions!

Changelog:

-new components, by Angel: Improved Lesser Fiends; Improved Haeball; Improved General Ghotal.
    -new component, by jastey: Reduce Number of Shaman Cloaks (two options).
    -Polish version revised and updated to v5, by Roberciiik.
    -Italian version revised and updated to v5, by improb@bile.
    -Russian version updated to v5, by RealApxu.
    -Will O'Hara: Polish dubbing thanks to Anoim2666.
    -Install of optional components was splitted into 4 categories: Tactical Challenges, Quests and Encounters, Nerfs, NPC.
    -Improved Reedrig in Ulgoths Beard: should spawn correctly; dialogue should not be dependent on whether the player has the map in inventory.
    -Area Wood of the Dead will be revealed in dialogue with Pandris.
    -Removed Ogre Magi from AR12PB as it is copy of bounty hunter.
    -Removed doubled copy of items.
    -fixed cre item references.
    -Added missing weights to items for EE.
    -Reduced XP and loot for resting in AR52PB.are by reducing spawn probability and number of monsters.
    -Changed Orc Priests to 2 different custom cres and fixed scripts and items for BG:SoD.
    -Cultists should drop a bow (added short bows to ntblhcul.cre and ntblhcu1.cre).
    -Added a known_issues.txt to ntotsc/docs/. Contributions and fixes welcome.
    -ntotsc.ini updated with more support for Project Infinity.
    edited June 2022
    There are two Readmes in the docs folder found inside the NTotSC folder after isntalling the game. One is labelled "old" and covers version 1.70a. The second is simply labelled Readme and covers version 3.3.0 (edited Typo!! actually 3.2.0), which is the current version so this is the document I am using.
    The rest of this post refers to things found in this document they are probably spoilers ...
    I am currently exploring the Northern Citadel, and have two current problems in the game.
    1/. I found a locked area in the graveyard immediately Nth of the citadel - is this the altar mentioned in the readme that Avery is supposed to tell me about? Avery talks to me, but doesn't tell me anything about the locked altar. I've just reread the readme and realised I need to finish the main N Citdl quest before dealing with the locked altar, so maybe Avery talks to me then.
    2/. Pique talked to me about Eldod, the second time I approached him. He said "here, take this" referring to something he saw Eldod drop, but didn't give me anything.
    Post edited by kiwidoc on
    edited June 2022
    @kiwidoc there is no official version 3.3.0. Official versions jumped from 3.2.0 to 4.0.0. Current version is 5.0.0.

Pique not giving anythig is a known issue, mentioned in the docs. (I have no idea what he would give the PC, either. The dialogues used in the Citadel quest are unused game dialogues that were restored.)
    edited June 2022
    This probably explains a lot of the problems I an haviing as I have a version labelled 3.2 Where can you download v 5?
    From the SHS download pages, either GitHub or SHS download section. Link to GitHub: https://github.com/SpellholdStudios/NTotSC/releases

The two issues you posted are covered, though - the locked building on the Citadel area will be open once the quest stage is reached, and Pique is using game dialogues that were restored for this quest and i have no idea what he was supposed to give the player, eithe. I put it into the known issues documentation.
    @jastey Many thanks for the rapid and helpful replies.
    edited June 2022
    @kiwidoc
    Thanks for reporting, please continue to share your findings. The Pique thing was reported only some weeks ago that's why I can pretend I knew about it all along.
    edited June 2022
    I'm still playing v3.2 as I haven't the heart to start a new game after all this work, but I'm reading the documents in v5. If mI come across anything else not mentioned in the "Known Issues" doc I'll let you know.

edit - removed this query as I found the answer while reformatting some of the v5 docs so I could read them ;)
    edited June 2022
    It seems I really need to do Nadarin's quest - however I can't seem to get him to give me the quest. He's very grateful I killed the basalisk for him, but no mention of his home. I can reach his home but ...
    although I can get a quest from the local fishermen things get really wierd when I find the woman/dragon character. The dialogue makes no sense

edit - dont worry. I tried again with a new load and it all worked without any inpot from Nadarin
    Sorry to be a pain, but I'm really stumped on the Northern Citadel quest. I've searched everywhere, spoken to everyone with a few suspicions about those in charge, but no actual proof of anything. Also, I can't open the door in the graveyard outside. I've visited all the other new areas, and searched everything but the two places locked with magic that need special keys.

Some spoiler type questions after reading the latest version of the readme
    1/. Do I need to finish Durlag's Tower and clear the Ulgoth's Beard cult before I can get any further?
    2/. Who the hell is Draagis, and where is he/she/them/it?
    3/. Should I have met Reedrig in the Fields of the Dead?