Skip to content

Addicted to Re-Starting

I'm seriously OCD. I restart Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate *TOO* much. Does anyone else have this problem? If I miss something or find out I could do something better, or decide to change my stats, etc. etc. etc. I just start over lol. Ugh. I think its a sickness.

Comments

• sepottersepotter Member Posts: 367
    I had that problem as a kid quite a bit, nowadays I can stick to a save game a bit more.
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    sepotter said:

I had that problem as a kid quite a bit, nowadays I can stick to a save game a bit more.

Lol - it could certainly be a MATURITY issue. I have those in spades.
  • Kristie83Kristie83 Member Posts: 259
    Shall we stage an intervention?
  • GygaxianProseGygaxianProse Member Posts: 201
    I think it's common to finish the game with far fewer characters than you make. It's only a sickness if it is making you have less fun - analysis paralysis - it might help to think more in terms of broader character concepts, and maybe use an editor for minor tweaks if necessary.
    Or, to play with the idea of letting the individual game influence the evolution of the PC - letting the campaign have a "snowflake" quality with its own internal consistency that explains the sometimes sub-optimal choices.
    Kristie83 said:

Shall we stage an intervention?

May be necessary. What tends to happen is I restart so much that I burn myself out and then need a break for weeks or months. Not the brightest idea.

• MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    I think there's something very satisfying about starting over again. I used to do it all the time when I played PnP. My favorite part of the game is character creation. I used to take hours painstakingly rolling up my character, filling out my character sheet, writing a fully detailed biography and description, and deciding on my starting equipment (e.g., should I buy 3 candles or 5?) It's totally OCD, but I don't care.

I tend to play my characters until about mid-level, and then start over with a "new" character (more like the same one every time, but with slightly different ability scores, etc. due to my rolls). I tend to get bored with them after 7th level or so in BG. I guess that means I like low-level campaigns.
  • SarevokokSarevokok Member Posts: 171
    Intervention it is!
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    I start over a lot, too. I keep getting ideas for new characters I want to try, plus, I enjoy the first half or so of the game the best. I kind of like feeling like it's a "Neverending Story", and I do that by almost never playing all the way through to the end of anything.
  • Aegir_FellwoodAegir_Fellwood Member Posts: 81
    Lol I assure you it has nothing to do with maturity, or lack thereof. I'm a 40 year old man with the same habit, and even tho age per se doesn't guarantee maturity, I'm quite certain it has something to do with perfectionism, or at least trying to get everything to fit some blurred theme or idea I have. Planning my characters, spells, equipment etc not only in my head, but also on paper has reduced my restarting "syndrome" quite a bit, maybe it could work for you too ;)
    @HaHaCharade I will need contact information on your close friends and family members, then I will need approximately 5 grand for the lead therapist, then another 30 to 100 grand for your stay at rehab...Don't worry though, after this you can file for bankruptcy. No worries, we'll have you straightened out in no time as long as you don't relapse. :P
  • Dragonfolk2000Dragonfolk2000 Member Posts: 379
    I think I have more a problem now with restarting constantly, especially with games where you have multiple ways of building your character. I like trying out different options.

The exception to this is Morrowind, because I keep getting lost and killed by crap that I couldn't possibly beat at my experience.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    If I don't like the way a character or party or game concept is going I won't hesitate to abort it. My recreation time is too scarce to waste on an experience that isn't fun. But that said, I do typically try to finish games that I start.
  • allhailsteveallhailsteve Member Posts: 210
    I finish most games I start as I feel an obligation to my charname to see the whole ordeal through to the bitter end with him.

I finish most games I start as I feel an obligation to my charname to see the whole ordeal through to the bitter end with him.

F*CK Charname. lol.
  • WigglesWiggles Member Posts: 571
    @HaHaCharade

Ya, I'll those funds by Nov. 28th. Thanks.

Your blood type is AB+?
    Wiggles said:

@HaHaCharade

Ya, I'll those funds by Nov. 28th. Thanks.

Your blood type is AB+?

Ha that actually is my blood type. Creepy. LOL.
  • HeinrichHeinrich Member Posts: 188
    Guilty as charged, especially if there's mods and DLC that I want in the game even after I started.

I'm one of those gamers that is either all or nothing.

Kristie83 said:

@HaHaCharade I will need contact information on your close friends and family members, then I will need approximately 5 grand for the lead therapist, then another 30 to 100 grand for your stay at rehab...Don't worry though, after this you can file for bankruptcy. No worries, we'll have you straightened out in no time as long as you don't relapse. :P

Wow. To give all I own to rid myself of this curse. Its tempting. Then again, I'm also tempted by the offer I got today in my email from a prince of Nigeria who needs help transferring his fortune to the states. No worries though, if I just give him my account number, social security number, and blood type, I'll be golden.
    Oh, I forgot to um, mention, that I'm um...also the Queen of Nigeria and the situation is much more critical than you think! All 87 of my second cousins' wives are being held for ransom. For every day that you delay sending your information, (including your bank and credit card numbers of course,) 3 will be killed. Now, you don't want that to happen now do you? Do you really want this on your conscience?
    Kristie83 said:

Kristie83 said:

Wow. To give all I own to rid myself of this curse. Its tempting. Then again, I'm also tempted by the offer I got today in my email from a prince of Nigeria who needs help transferring his fortune to the states. No worries though, if I just give him my account number, social security number, and blood type, I'll be golden.
    Oh, I forgot to um, mention, that I'm um...also the Queen of Nigeria and the situation is much more critical than you think! All 87 of my second cousins' wives are being held for ransom. For every day that you delay sending your information, (including your bank and credit card numbers of course,) 3 will be killed. Now, you don't want that to happen now do you? Do you really want this on your conscience?
    LOL! - Wow, it's worse than I thought! Man, this therapy is too much to deal with. I better stick to making money the easy way. A second job might be the ticket. Its a good thing they need gift wrappers at the mall this time of year...

Kristie83 said:

Kristie83 said:

LOL! - Wow, it's worse than I thought! Man, this therapy is too much to deal with. I better stick to making money the easy way. A second job might be the ticket. Its a good thing they need gift wrappers at the mall this time of year...
    Darn! I really thought I had you this time. Oh, forget gift-wrapping at the mall. I'll train you to work from home! All you need to do is send me $129.99 for training materials. Its virtually FREE! This offer will expire in 2 hours and 51 minutes so act NOW!!!
    Kristie83 said:

Kristie83 said:

Kristie83 said:

Darn! I really thought I had you this time. Oh, forget gift-wrapping at the mall. I'll train you to work from home! All you need to do is send me $129.99 for training materials. Its virtually FREE! This offer will expire in 2 hours and 51 minutes so act NOW!!!
    Hey hey, let's not forget that there's a young BG fan that has leukemia and the only way to raise awareness is to give this forum post enough "Likes"! :D
    Kristie83 said:

Do you take Paypal? Are we training on gift wrapping? I really can't wrap gifts. >.<
    Training on gift-wrapping...Of course, but it will be an extra $49.95 for the supplies. Paypal? Sure, why not. There may be an added fee for this transaction though...

So, you're getting a job gift-wrapping but you cant wrap? Are you planning on wrapping for the visually impaired?

BTW, I'm sorry if I've derailed your thread here...I'm a smartass sometimes (or maybe just a dumbass, lol)

@Heinrich I liked your post, will the kid live now?
    Kristie83 said:

Training on gift-wrapping...Of course, but it will be an extra $49.95 for the supplies. Paypal? Sure, why not. There may be an added fee for this transaction though...

So, you're getting a job gift-wrapping but you cant wrap? Are you planning on wrapping for the visually impaired?

This post was never on the rails to begin with, so its all good. I'll wrap for anybody. But the visually impaired could honestly probably already wrap a present better than I can, so they may pass :P

We're all smartasses lol.
    Kristie83 said:

BTW, I'm sorry if I've derailed your thread here...I'm a smartass sometimes (or maybe just a dumbass, lol)

@Heinrich I liked your post, will the kid live now?

Yup, he got up and walked out of the hospital all totally fit and healthy!

See ya'll later and thanks for the likes! *Runs off*
    @HaHaCharade Its all about the amount of paper you're using. Too much and it gets sloppy, too little and you're screwed. Stick with boxes to start and avoid anything weird shaped or asymmetrical. Good luck!

@Heinrich Its a Christmas Miracle! I almost can't believe that my "like" cured someone...
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    I restart everything. I usually like to get the concept down with a quick little play through of a couple of days and then restart.

I'll then play 1/2 the game then restart again so I know I didn't miss anything.

Older games like BG I'll get the urge to play, and I'll wipe all my saves just to start fresh.
    Kristie83 said:

@HaHaCharade Its all about the amount of paper you're using. Too much and it gets sloppy, too little and you're screwed. Stick with boxes to start and avoid anything weird shaped or asymmetrical. Good luck!

Thanks for the tip... I might try someday but for now I'm content to let others do it for me :)
  • LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078
    Yes, to the point where I've never actually finished Icewind Dale or IWD2, though I've gotten damn close.