Skip to content

Addicted to Re-Starting

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I'm half-convinced that all of BG2 takes place in Irenicus's dungeon--because it's usually around the time that I run into Frennedan that I think, "I wonder what would have happened if..."

Still have yet to try the game with a thief, though. I'm not sure why.
  • CactusCactus Member Posts: 152
    @HaHaCharade - I admit it, I am an addict to restart... But because of the delay of BG:EE I think my restarts will be reduced dramatically, since I actually started reading different guides to BG (never did that with original). So I planned ahead...
    @Aosaw - I did the same in BG2, and I really didn't like playing Irenicus' Dungeon... It was just like, after finishing BG I wanted CHARNAME to go BG->BG2, but then I really had to try out these new kits...
  • MechaliburMechalibur Member Posts: 265
    I think Irenicus' dungeon is precisely the reason I don't restart very often. The place is well designed, sure, but there's only so many times I can go through it without going crazy. It's not like Candlekeep where you can get out in a snap and then do whatever the hell you want.
  • ZandrakeZandrake Member Posts: 4

I think Irenicus' dungeon is precisely the reason I don't restart very often.

I believe that the amount time I have spent in that place is probably equal to the time it takes to complete the game once or twice.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Yeaahhh I restart a lot. I love low-level BG1 gaming. It's gritty.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    For me I restart a lot especially if I don't transfer a character from BG1 to bg2. If I play a character through the first game my likelihood of finishing that character in BG2 is much better.
  • SamuelVargSamuelVarg Member Posts: 598
    I did restarted often when i reached Spellhold in BGII. Becuse then is was more or less a straight line of Irenicus butt kicking (for goodness!) and I prefer the RPG part when you can choose your edventures and quests.

In BG is was mor likely for me to restart around the return to Candlekeep.
  • BaldursCatBaldursCat Member Posts: 432
    I must be a startover girl too, especially when I've had a break from the game for a while and make stupid mistakes in Candlekeep or Irenicus' dungeon, & of course if I'm restarting I might as well reroll too...
  • HexHammerHexHammer Member Posts: 288
    I have a serious problem with games that have multiple characters to try out, it gets a massive restart fest!!! ><
    ..specially when these chars has skill trees .....AAAAARRR!!!!!
  • SamuelVargSamuelVarg Member Posts: 598
    edited November 2012
    HexHammer said:

I have a serious problem with games that have multiple characters to try out, it gets a massive restart fest!!! ><
    ..specially when these chars has skill trees .....AAAAARRR!!!!!

I just re-started a new game of BGII and red your post as the intro played. Just as the Shadow Thief gets hit by a spell and is turned into a stone - he scrams "AAAAARRR!!!!!" and I red you post, and that exact word, at the same time as that happened. Priceless!
    Post edited by SamuelVarg on
  • ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531
    edited November 2012
    For me the opposite is true. Once I create a character I really like, I want him to continue increasing in power indefinitely. In BG1 I played with the same PC for five real time years. More recently, I've been playing with a different PC in BG2 for about 1.5 years. I hate starting over because if I do it feels like everything I did up until that point becomes a waste of time.

When I was first learning how to play Baldur's Gate I did experiment with several different character classes, so I guess that could qualify as starting over frequently, since I didn't finish the game with many of them. So far, I've really only finished the game completely with three characters in the 13 years I've played Baldur's Gate, but two of those three I've played with for almost the entire time.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    Re: Irenicus' dungeon and the chronic restarter. Y'all know there's a mod called "Dungeon-Be-Gone" that is a godsend to us chronic restarters?

http://www.pocketplane.net/mambo/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=98&Itemid=79
  • SikorskySikorsky Member Posts: 402

I'm seriously OCD. I restart Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate *TOO* much. Does anyone else have this problem? If I miss something or find out I could do something better, or decide to change my stats, etc. etc. etc. I just start over lol. Ugh. I think its a sickness.

I thought I'm the only one ;P
    I was ashamed to admit, but it seems that's not only my problem. Even now I have (in my opinion) too many ideas of my character/party in BG:EE.
  • LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078
    @Mechalibur

ahahahahaha, by now I know Chateau Irenicus by heart.
    ...Am I the only one who actually isn't really bothered by going through it multiple times?
  • MechaliburMechalibur Member Posts: 265
    edited November 2012

@Mechalibur

ahahahahaha, by now I know Chateau Irenicus by heart.
    ...Am I the only one who actually isn't really bothered by going through it multiple times?

Probably not. Don't get me wrong, I love the dungeon. The design is quite clever, and it's a great introduction to the game, as well as some of the themes. There's just a point when I've done it so many times that it gets annoying.

And no matter how many times I complete the dungeon, there will always be a point where I stare at the screen with a blank expression on my face, and think "How the hell am I lost?" Or "wasn't there a genie in here somewhere?"

Edit: Or "Why is it taking Irenicus days to take care of a few thieves?"
    Maybe he stopped by his computer on the way and decided to check Facebook, then lost track of time XP
    And then he got distracted for another five hours unfriending everyone he used to know in Suldanesselar and dinking around with quiz apps.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I waffle. Normally, I play through, no matter what, but not when trying something 'new'. I'm quick to give up on classes that don't make sense to me. Or something else happens.

Such as mages not getting INT-based bonus spells of PNP. Made me furious. Might balance out later, but early on, once the pack of magic missiles is gone, you're frail and worthless.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited November 2012
    I'll usually keep several save games that I can roll back to if something bad happens.
  • Kristie83Kristie83 Member Posts: 259
    With other games of this genre, I have a problem with getting distracted with either real life or another game. If that happens, and I haven't played my game in more than a week or two, I forget where I am in the story and no longer feel immersed in it, then I have to start over. This is the reason I have never finished NWN. My name is Kristie and I have a restarting problem.
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    Kristie83 said:

With other games of this genre, I have a problem with getting distracted with either real life or another game. If that happens, and I haven't played my game in more than a week or two, I forget where I am in the story and no longer feel immersed in it, then I have to start over. This is the reason I have never finished NWN. My name is Kristie and I have a restarting problem.

Yeah I get burned out on games easily. I put down the first Dragon Age in Fall of 2009 and never picked it back up again. lol.
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    This is even worse in a grindfest ARPG like Sacred 2, where you hate 200 levels and no respecs allowed. Do the slightest thing wrong, or change your mind and you can't undo it.

Imagine getting to level 199, and suddenly misclicming and putting a point somewhere that you didn't need it. So horrible!
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @Mungri, I hear you! I am also a Sacred 2 fan. In a way, thinking about and planning your build is part of the fun. But in another way, every decision is agonizing, because if you mess up a build, you might not realize it until you get pretty advanced into the game, and then, you've wasted dozens of hours of play time.

Only chronic restarters like a lot of us in this thread know about that "Augh! Back to the drawing board! I have to start all over! This character bites!" moment. It's quite a mix of emotions. Frustration, a little bit of anger, and finally, steely resolve. (Sigh. Level one. Tutorial Town. Grind, grind, grind, grind...)
  • georgelappiesgeorgelappies Member Posts: 179
    edited November 2012
    Yeah sacred 2 rocks, nothing beats a seraphim in a thong wielding a two handed great sword :)

Back to topic though, I also enjoy character creation and testing out what is fun to play so I tend to restart frequently as well.
  • eksterekster Member Posts: 234
    I definitely restarted this way too often. Especially BG2. But I can't help it. Too many choices for your main PC! I always want to play this, and that, and that, and this, and oh this too! And when I tried a full custom party, while I loved to have all the classes I wanted, I got quickly bored because the companions bring a lot to the game, but kept creating them anyway because character creation is fun.

And as for Irenicus' dungeon? I took a 5 year break from the game and can still remember the whole dungeon, with all the secrets, traps and quests. :D

On the bright side, I know the existence of shadow keeper now, so I can use the companions and the classes I want.
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    I never felt any need to restart a character in BG though, there isn't any reason too since you don't improve stats manually on level ups.
  • EleutherosEleutheros Member Posts: 70
    edited November 2012
    deltago said:

... and I'll wipe all my saves just to start fresh.

wipe...all...saves? *chestpains*

I think I've copied my first character's saves (all 30 of them) to and fro at least five different computers...
    Post edited by Eleutheros on