Skip to content

[HOW TO] Install mods on iOS devices (NO Jailbreak)

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    Apple updated its special version of iTunes (the one which is needed here to access the App Store and mod these games) to v12.6.4.3 -> link here
    edited April 2018
    @subtledoctor Speaking of updates, I wanted to tell you that the GUI variant of the tool provided by @argent77 seems to work on macOS (you can download it here for free). The problem is that you're forced to convert one file at a time.....

In the GUI, textures can be encoded in a wide range of formats. First of all, remember to resize the canvas if a certain file is not a square -> Toolbox, Resize canvas without changing the image, Make Square, Resize Canvas. Now you can start the conversion.... I chose the following settings:

PVRTC 4bpp RGBA, Unsigned Normalised Byte, Linear RGB, OpenGL ES 2

@argent77 I don't know how to remove the Meta Data.... In any case, everything seems to work even without removing them....
  • Jmmie93Jmmie93 Member Posts: 14
    4 At this point you should have a bunch of modded game files, including an override folder and a modified version of dialog.tlk.

Ok so I get steps 1-3 I have all my mods I have the unzipped ipa with packet contents revealed.

My question is what exactly do I zip and move from the mod files to the ipa file.

There’s all sort of setup files for each mod and none of them work when I drop them into the unzipped game file. For example with SCS. The file contains two setup files which don’t work and a folder filled with many files.

Which parts of the file do I need to zip? I’m sorry I’ve spent like 12 hours on this trying to get it to work. To me it seems like there’s a gap between step 3 and 4 which I’m not understanding.

The guide you provided for OSX is helpful but it doesn’t seem to work the same way with my IOS file. I’m probably just an idiot and doing it wrong though.
    Zip (no compression) all the files contained in the override folder; for example -> mod.zip. You can alternatively zip (no compression) the whole override folder.

For mods such as SCS there is no override folder this is why I’m confused. When I download the file and open it there’s two setup files and a file with all the different SCS mods in it.

I’m not sure what to zip.

Am I missing some process to neatly turn all the mods files into simple override files? I’m trying to articulate my problem here as best as I can.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited April 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Thanks a lot for your answer really appreciate it, it was a crucial piece I wasn’t understanding. I’m currently on OSX. I will attempt another installation here using the hitchhikers guide.
    Hey Last problem here. Ive installed everything but SCS. I keep letting the spell ID problem it seems you’ve addressed it before.

Is the best fix for this still the big world fix pack that you recommended here?

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/732385/#Comment_732385

I think this is the last thing I need help on thanks!
    I’m trying to use bigworld fixpack so I can install SCS but I’m not sure how to run it. The other files had a setup file which I ran through the console to initiate.

Not sure how to run it here, been trying for hours.
    Okay last question I swear! I’m all loaded and ready with tons of mods all successfully installed.

How the hell do I zip a file on Mac without compressing? A zip file is literally a compression file this part I don’t understand.

I’m almost there! I used your tips on maybe 5 different posts to piece together how to do it all thanks.
    Ok last hurdle for real here I think. I made zips without compressing.

I go to my iPad after sending it via Dropbox and there’s literally no option to open with BG.

The files name is override.bg1data.zip

Have no idea how to open it in Baldur’s Gate there’s no option anywhere.
    Tried using drop box emailing to myself etc.

Every time there is no option on the ipad from any menu to open with baldurs gate.

I think im on the last step here.
    Haha thanks for all your help.

Now I have all the mods installed and running on my ipad!!!!

I'm sure i'll encounter some problems later but for now seems all perfect!
  • HOMICIDALaiHOMICIDALai Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2
    I still need to read all this, but i have been trying to do this for years.
    Does it matter what ios version?
    Feel like last time i couldnt edit anything for bg in itunes?
    I will try this once im done with my current play through.
    edited November 2018
    @argent77

I'm really sorry to bother you again about your Conversion Tool, but now I'm getting this error on Windows (I've installed Windows 10 using Parallels Desktop....)
    Post edited by _Luke_ on
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,433
    It could be a privilege issue, since latest WeiDU version doesn't automatically trigger UAC anymore. Try running the installer as administrator (right-click on installer > Run as administrator).
    edited May 2018
    argent77 said:

It could be a privilege issue, since latest WeiDU version doesn't automatically trigger UAC anymore. Try running the installer as administrator (right-click on installer > Run as administrator).

So, I right-clicked setup-A7-TextureConvert.exe -> Run as administrator and I got the same error..... This is the only mod (so far) that is failing to install properly...
    edited May 2018
    Could you check if the attached version works better? It uses more robust code for platform detection.
    Post edited by argent77 on
    edited November 2018
    argent77 said:

Could you check if the attached version works better? It uses more robust code for platform detection.

Now I got another error....
    Post edited by _Luke_ on
    edited May 2018
    I don't know what might cause such an error. The debug log doesn't provide any useful hints. Maybe it's caused by your method of installation or by Windows 10, or a combination of both.

If nothing else helps you could try to convert the files manually. It's a bit of work though.

1. Use NI to manually export each PVRZ file to PVR
    2. Use the PVRTexTool binary from the mod to convert each file into the new format. Example:
    PVRTexToolCLI -i infile.PVR -o outfile.PVR -f PVRTC1_4,UBN,lRGB -potcanvas + -squarecanvas + -q pvrtcbest
    3. Use NI's Tools > Convert > Image to PVRZ to convert the new PVR files into PVRZ

Step 2 can probably be automated by using batch/shell scripts.
    edited May 2018
    argent77 said:

I don't know what might cause such an error. The debug log doesn't provide any useful hints. Maybe it's caused by your method of installation or by Windows 10, or a combination of both.

What do you mean by "method of installation"? I'll try using WINDOWS 8.1.......
    Again, this is the only mod (so far) that is causing this issue....
    I assumed you changed something with your installation process, since you hinted that the tool stopped working now. Unfortunately I can't reproduce this issue on my main system nor on various guest systems.

I have updated the mod attached to my previous comment. It produces more log data and tries to skip unsuccessful conversion attempts more gracefully. Can you try it out again?
    argent77 said:

I assumed you changed something with your installation process, since you hinted that the tool stopped working now.

To clarify: the tool has never worked for me on my virtual machine.....
    I'll try the updated version later today.....
    edited November 2018
    argent77 said:

I have updated the mod attached to my previous comment. It produces more log data and tries to skip unsuccessful conversion attempts more gracefully. Can you try it out again?

So, now I got an INSTALLED WITH WARNINGS.....
    Post edited by _Luke_ on
    Hmm, it's getting weirder. The conversion tool doesn't appear to be called at all on your system.

I have added even more log output to the mod. Could you try again with the updated attachement from the comment above?
    edited November 2018
    argent77 said:

I have added even more log output to the mod. Could you try again with the updated attachement from the comment above?

Here it is.....
    Post edited by _Luke_ on
    edited May 2018
    I don't see anything wrong with platform detection or determining the right tool path by the mod. The mod should execute the conversion tool and generate some output (if only some log messages). The only unusual bit is that the system is detected as true 32-bit. But that may be caused by your installed Windows version.

Are you able to execute PVRTexToolCLI.exe (found in A7-TextureConvert/tools/PVRTexToolCLI/win32/x86) manually on Windows? It should print a help text when invoked without parameters.

There may be access rights involved that prevent the mod from creating the required temporary folders. Or maybe a security tool interferes with script execution. But that's just speculation on my part.

Edit: There is still the possibility that your system is detected as IA64 or ARM. In that case it is unlikely that the tool binaries work at all or maybe only through a special emulation layer that doesn't work with WeiDU.
    edited May 2018
    @argent77 What can you tell me of this?

By the way, I'm currently using Win8.1_English_x64.iso......
    Should I try with a 32-bit version of Windows?