Skip to content

[HOW TO] Install mods on iOS devices (NO Jailbreak)

Comments

• argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,434
    edited January 2018
    Luke93 said:

argent77 said:

None that I know, but you could reconnect one of the doors in Candlekeep with the map AR1010. Simply copy the field data from the AR1009.ARE travel trigger that leads to AR1010 to one of the travel triggers in Candlekeep (AR2600) with NI. Relevant are only fields "Destination area" and "Entrance name".

So, I made the following changes to trigger 3 of AR2600 (the one that is supposed to "teleport" your character to the Candlekeep Inn):
    • Destination area: AR1010.ARE
    • Entrance name: Exit1009
    And it worked!!! I explored the entire area and killed Dezkiel and his minions. So, the lesson is: as long as a certain mod that add/update areas uses existing game resources, everything should work out of the box, right?
    Sounds promising. But as long as you can't successfully install new maps with custom tilesets on iOS, that's not really a big step forward.
    Post edited by argent77 on
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,356
    edited February 2018
    @Luke93
    Hi Luke93 hope that you can give me some feedback on a planned modding session.

I am planning to add:

for BG1
    Thalantyr item upgrade
    CD tweaks
    Scs

For BG2
    Weiners item upgrade
    CD tweaks
    Parts of tactics
    Parts of ascension/unfinished business for bg2
    Scs

Would that work? And is the install order correct? Or would you advise me to wait for 2.5? And SoD..?

I have tried 1 hour just downloading BG1. Think I may have got it wrong. Does this look right ?

My BG2 was a shared file (what ever that is..). Found it allready in another directory, and it looks way different when unpacked

Thanks for this thread and all the hard work you have put into it.
    Post edited by StummvonBordwehr on
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    edited February 2018
    @StummvonBordwehr So: BG2 has been unpacked correctly, but there is something wrong with BG1......
    • Mods for BG1: the order is correct and everything should work fine.
    • Mods for BG2: I don't know the contents of Ascension and Tactics: in any case, take a look at this page to have an idea about the correct installation order.
    As far as "waiting for 2.5 & SoD" is concerned, it's up to you: I don't know when the game is released, hopefully within this month, but who knows.....
    Post edited by _Luke_ on
    Luke93 said:

@StummvonBordwehr So: BG2 has been unpacked correctly, but there is something wrong with BG1......

• Mods for BG1: the order is correct and everything should work fine.
    • Mods for BG2: I don't know the contents of Ascension and Tactics: in any case, take a look at this page to have an idea about the correct installation order.
    As far as "waiting for 2.5 & SoD" is concerned, it's up to you: I don't know when the game is released, hopefully within this month, but who knows.....
    Hi @Luke93
    Think I made some progress. Managed to download and unzip BG1 correctly, installed Thalantyr Item upgrade, CDTweaks and SCS (perhaps... it conflicted with CDTweaks somehow). So far so good

Zipped the overide and lang folders (note to me: just keep the US files...). E-mailed Them to my iPhone and now have the zip files in my E-mail and dropbox. But I cant open the files in the BG app - neither from my E-mail nor my dropbox. I have only a few options and googling the problem left none the wiser.

Do you or any other have an idea what I need to do?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

@StummvonBordwehr you need to chamge the file extension from .zip to .bg1data (for lang) or .bg1override (for override). Make sure it doesn't have two extensions, or a hidden extension or something like that. It should be "lang.bg1data" and "mod.bg1override"

Note that if you zipped the whole override folder (instead of creating a zip archive with all the files in /override), then you don't need to rename it; moreover, the file extension becomes ".bg1data" instead of ".bg1override"

override -> override.zip -> override.bg1data

Here is the log of the mods I've installed:

~BLAH/BLAH.TP2~ #0 #0 // kit blah
    What is this?
    Luke93 said:

@StummvonBordwehr you need to chamge the file extension from .zip to .bg1data (for lang) or .bg1override (for override). Make sure it doesn't have two extensions, or a hidden extension or something like that. It should be "lang.bg1data" and "mod.bg1override"

Note that if you zipped the whole override folder (instead of creating a zip archive with all the files in /override), then you don't need to rename it; moreover, the file extension becomes ".bg1data" instead of ".bg1override"

override -> override.zip -> override.bg1data
    @Luke93 and @subtledoctor
    It finally works. After several hours of tinkering i finally got it right. CDtweaks works and Thalantyr item upgrade works partially - I have to guess what he says due to some missing strings, but no chrashes... the hours spent maling this work has not made me a bigger Apple fan..

But on the other hand: The work I had to do cannot be compared to your hard work, insights and help. How you managed to come up with this work around is above my comprehension. Your willingness to help is much appreciated, and you have really made my day.. Thanks
  • lanwrathlanwrath Member Posts: 18
    argent77 said:

Luke93 said:

argent77 said:

None that I know, but you could reconnect one of the doors in Candlekeep with the map AR1010. Simply copy the field data from the AR1009.ARE travel trigger that leads to AR1010 to one of the travel triggers in Candlekeep (AR2600) with NI. Relevant are only fields "Destination area" and "Entrance name".

So, I made the following changes to trigger 3 of AR2600 (the one that is supposed to "teleport" your character to the Candlekeep Inn):
    • Destination area: AR1010.ARE
    • Entrance name: Exit1009
    And it worked!!! I explored the entire area and killed Dezkiel and his minions. So, the lesson is: as long as a certain mod that add/update areas uses existing game resources, everything should work out of the box, right?
    Sounds promising. But as long as you can't successfully install new maps with custom tilesets on iOS, that's not really a big step forward.
    I have successfully installed most of Lukes list from the title post and have tried a few others with mixed results. I want to attempt NTotSC. I have read through this thread a few times trying to wrap my head around everything and have some questions.

1. @Luke93 is that link you posted for UI mods something I install with WeiDU and does it do the same thing as the PowerVRSDK tool that @argent77 gave instructions for.

2. @argent77 If I used powerVRSDK and NI would I be able to install something like NTotSC or other mods that add new locations?

3. If the answer to 2 is no, than what hurdles would need to be overcome to make it work, is it the stuff you and @subtledoctor were talking about earlier with the chitin.key registering files?
    edited February 2018
    lanwrath said:

I have successfully installed most of Luke's list from the title post and have tried a few others with mixed results.

Could you clarify "mixed results"? I'm 100% sure every single mod listed under my spoiler tag works on iOS devices.
    edited February 2018
    lanwrath said:

1. @Luke93 is that link you posted for UI mods something I install with WeiDU?

Yes, it's a mod that must be installed with WeiDU.

Anyway, it should be possible to install mods that add additional areas or UI mods: it's just a matter of converting certain files in a iOS-compatible format -> As I've already said, I've successfully installed Lefreut's Inventory Screen & Record Screen.

You can try the following: install NTotSC and then email the override folder to @argent77 -> he should be able to tell you what files need to be converted in order to work on iOS....
    Unfortunately, I cannot test this because that conversion tool does not work on macOS....
    Yesterday I imported a IWD character to BG1.

I exported the character to dropbox (BG2 is always an option)

In dropbox I just changed the file name from xxxx.bg2character to xxx.bg1character, exported it to Bg1 (that option was now open besides BG2) and it showed up in BG1

The renaming trick is great
    @lanwrath Your installation should be ready for iOS if you run the mod attached to this post afterwards. The tool that does the actual conversion apparently has issues on macOS though, so you have to do it on a Windows or Linux system (or vm).
    edited February 2018
    @lanwrath Note that certain mods that add additional areas may also create a worldmap folder (they modify the World Map) -> This extra folder must be imported to your iPad along with /override and /lang. Follow the standard procedure:
    worldmap -> worldmap.zip (no compression) -> worldmap.bg1/bg2/iwd/pstdata
    It's official, you guys rock! @Luke93 all your mods worked fine. I was trying to get https://github.com/Holic75/Baldurs-gate-dnd-3.5/releases to work and was having mixed results on ios. Thanks for the worldmap tip, I am sure that would have really messed me up. @argent77 thanks for the information, I have access to all 3 OS's so I should be fine on that front. I will probably get up the energy to try this in a few days and will let you guys know how it went. Thanks again for all the help.
    edited February 2018
    @lanwrath Don't forget to check tilesets (.TIS files) in /override after installing NTotSC -> Mods can install the map tilesets as palette-based TIS or PVRZ-based TIS. For the former you have to use NI to convert the tilesets into the PVRZ format. The latter should work out of the box since iOS supports DXT1.
    File size of palette-based TIS is significantly higher (usually several MB) while PVRZ-based TIS is at most several kb big. NI provides an Export option into the PVRZ format for palette-based TIS, and vice versa for PVRZ-based TIS.
    @Luke93 I was under the assumption that @argent77 tool would take care of that conversion.
    lanwrath said:

@Luke93 I was under the assumption that @argent77 tool would take care of that conversion.

Yeah, you're probably right, sorry......
    @Luke93 regarding your worldmap tip. I have been zipping up all the files in my override to mod.zip -> mod.bg1override, and have been just adding my lang folder to lang.zip->lang.bg1data, can I just zip my override folder to override.zip->override.bg1data or should I continue to do all the files and add them to bg1override?
    edited February 2018
    lanwrath said:

@Luke93 regarding your worldmap tip. I have been zipping up all the files in my override to mod.zip -> mod.bg1override, and have been just adding my lang folder to lang.zip->lang.bg1data, can I just zip my override folder to override.zip->override.bg1data or should I continue to do all the files and add them to bg1override?

The worldmap folder (if any!) is a stand-alone folder, so it should be treated as a separate folder. Basically, I think you need to import three folders:
    override -> override.zip (no compression) -> override.bg1data
    worldmap -> worldmap.zip (no compression) -> worldmap.bg1data
    lang -> lang.zip (no compression) -> lang.bg1data
    Yeah, I was just asking about whether or not I zip up all the contents of override into mod.zip than import it into bg1override or if I zip up just the override folder and import override into bg1 data. Based on this it would seem that we could modify whatever we wanted, including files, than just give them the .bg1data file extension. So possibly do things to chitin.key if a mod requires it and than rename it chitin.key.bg1data, although the way its working with zipping than renaming the file extension it would seem that the bg1data extension is telling it to create a directory of the zipped contents within the bg1data part of the app. I havent jailbroken my ipad so I cannot see the underlying application directory structure for bg on the ipad. Just looking at the directory structure of the opened app I am curious about how one would modify the data folder. Unsure if data.bg1data would allow you to export things to the data folder. Also wondering if it is merging and overwriting conflicts or what is happening under the hood. Based on the fact that I have to uninstall and reinstall the app everytime I change mods it would appear to be merging the folders and overwriting conflicts based on how its handling the lang folder.
    So, a pure install of just NTotSC is working well, new world map worked, was able to go to the new version of ulgoths beard as well. I'm going to try to add dsotc and all of Lukes List, as well as some others I got working. If I ever get a working heavily modded version up I will post my Weidu install list... as soon as I figure out how to generate one. Thank you for the work you put into making this all happen.
    edited February 2018
    lanwrath said:

So, a pure install of just NTotSC is working well, new world map worked, was able to go to the new version of ulgoths beard as well.

@subtledoctor , @argent77 So, it is really a matter of owning a Windows computer... Damn it....
    When SoD is released on iOS (and if you buy it), then you could try to install EET.....

I've been using the OS standard zip (MacOS) and it works fine.

Me too (Archive Utility). However, it's necessary to set "Archive Format" to Regular Archive in order to perform no type of compression.
    lanwrath said:

If I ever get a working heavily modded version up I will post my Weidu install list... as soon as I figure out how to generate one.

Look for WeiDU.log in the same directory where you installed your mods...
    Luke93 said:

So, it is really a matter of owning a Windows computer... Damn it....
    When SoD is released on iOS (and if you buy it), then you could try to install EET.....

You could try to run the conversion mod with Wine or CrossOver on macOS.
    so... my upload speed sucks for my inet, 30 min to upload 150 meg files. After much poking around I found that I could follow these steps to upload files directly to my IPad using Itunes, and proceed to open them in bg:ee.

1. Get the Itunes version listed earlier in the thead so you can view and manage the apps on your Ipad.
    2. Once your Ipad is connected you can click the little IPad symbol that appears below the Account part of the top menu.
    3. Go to Apps in the left Menu, should be under Summary.
    4. If you have downloaded any apps to your computer than you can remove and install them from your PC within Itunes from here (makes fresh installs a breeze), you will lose all your game data by doing this so make sure to back up your characters beforehand.
    5. On this page scroll to the bottom and you will see the File Sharing area.
    6. Select Pages, and click the add file button->navigate to file you want to add->Open.
    7. Repeat for all desired files(override, lang, etc...)
    8. click sync button to have files added to IPad
    9. open the files app on your IPad and you should see all the added files there in the Pages folder
    10. Click on the desired file and when pages opens it you will see a button on the top right that looks like a piece of paper with an arrow pointing out the top, you should see the option to Copy to Baldur's Gate.
    11. From here follow the instructions as presented in @Luke93 initial post.