Skip to content

In your experience, is life a comedy or a tragedy ?

124»

Comments

• WesboiWesboi Member Posts: 403
    edited November 2017
    So let me get this right God created the world in a week. Dinosaurs was walking about all merry for like 3 days until god created Adam on day 6?

Birds were around with dinosaurs so they would be the closest thing next to a few lizards
  • dreamtravelerdreamtraveler Member Posts: 377
    edited November 2017
    Wesboi said:

So let me get this right God created the world in a week. Dinosaurs was walking about all merry for like 3 days until god created Adam on day 6?

@Wesboi to tell you the truth i haven't really thought about dinosaurs and or what part they have in biology i havent formed an opinion yet regarding that mater so what i am saying is i dont know....
    edited November 2017
    @Wesboi if i am correct Adam and eve firstly were in paradise right ? as i recall adam died at age 800 or something if i am correct, thought i must say i have read new testament and very little of genesis
    Post edited by dreamtraveler on
    @Wesboi what i mean to say is that adam and eve didnt taste from the forbiden tree right away they were enjoying the benefits of immortality for a while if i am correct.
  • WesboiWesboi Member Posts: 403
    Haven't read any of it as doesn't interest me just know the basic stuff way back like 25 years ago in school. Didn't bother pursuing it as didn't believe any of it so dropped it when it was no longer mandatory. Just thought it was a collection of whimsical stories back then I haven't changed my mind since then.
    FinneousPJsmeagolheart
    edited November 2017
    Something to ponder is what change inside adam and eve after they tasted from the forbidden tree or what adam and eve were be before that
    though i must say that i have seen small kids being naked in public view and dont have a care what so ever about it and that reminds me of the first made before their fall
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @dreamtraveler That's not what I meant at all.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    I think life is both tragic and a comedy. We laugh to keep from crying. The ancient Greeks already knew this when they created their theaters.

smeagolheartmlnevese
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Insightful.
    BelgarathMTH
    @FinneousPJ sorry my bad, i will edit it out
    That wasn't necessary. I just wanted to be clear.
    edited November 2017

I think life is both tragic and a comedy. We laugh to keep from crying. The ancient Greeks already knew this when they created their theaters.

@BelgarathMTH All Greek tragedies had the pattern Hubris/Ati/Nemesis/Tisis
    one of the main characters causes a Hubris then comes the blackout of thought Ati (similar to arrogance), which makes him/her to cause many more and greater Hubris then comes Nemesis which is the divine justice and finally comes Tisis which is the destruction of that man/woman

This reminds me of Kevin Spacey... well his brother did say that in the TV Show House of Cards he wasn't playing a role but he was being himself, I do get it that actors are paid to impersonate different kind of people but Kevin shouldn't have spat on the statue of Christ... i wonder if that was his Hubris that lead to his Tisis...

Yes, basically you might say that part of Christianity is an adaptation of Plato's two world theory. Have a read on that if you're not familiar. If you want to challenge yourself, try reading about Nietzsche's criticism of true world philosophies.

I admire Plato for some reasons that i dont want to mention but i had no idea that Plato believed in a two world theory let alone that he wrote a book about it

now regarding Nietzsche i am gonna post a picture :p

I would like to post the whole thing, seeing as this is the probably most famous quote and often talked about as though it was an attack on religion. Many people I talk to claim Nietzsche (claimed to have) killed God. I invite anyone who has not read it to take 5 minutes.

http://www.historyguide.org/europe/madman.html
    mlneveseTStael

Yes, basically you might say that part of Christianity is an adaptation of Plato's two world theory. Have a read on that if you're not familiar. If you want to challenge yourself, try reading about Nietzsche's criticism of true world philosophies.

I admire Plato for some reasons that i dont want to mention but i had no idea that Plato believed in a two world theory let alone that he wrote a book about it

now regarding Nietzsche i am gonna post a picture :p

I would like to post the whole thing, seeing as this is the probably most famous quote and often talked about as though it was an attack on religion. Many people I talk to claim Nietzsche (claimed to have) killed God. I invite anyone who has not read it to take 5 minutes.

http://www.historyguide.org/europe/madman.html
    @FinneousPJ intriguing...
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @FinneousPJ Thank you for clarifying.
    StummvonBordwehr
    edited June 2021
    @FinneousPJ Here is why i think that Plato had he was born at a later period he would have become christian apart from the two world theory of Plato which you said that fits to christian cosmogony this text is also saved:
    Through ancient texts it turns out that the Ancient Greeks knew of the advent of Jesus Christ

In the State of Plato (B, V, 362) - a book that everyone accepts - there is a prophecy equal to those of the prophets of the Old Testament:

"He will be stripped of everything but justice, because he was made opposite of the current behavior. Without having wronged anyone, he will be greatly slandered as unfair to be tortured for justice and he will be filled with tears because of misbelief, but will remain steady until death, and while he is fair, he will be considered as unfair for all his life. With such attitude, the righteous will be lashed, distorted, tied, his eyes will light and in his last, after he suffers all evil, he will be nailed on a stake, and know that it is not just, but since this is his will so let it be. "

the url is http://bit.ly/2zPEMPh though its in greek

Edit 24/06/2021 00:02: The information above regarding the book of Plato & the url i posted is a product of cut & paste of different sentences throughout the book, formed in such a way to make a specific argument.

I am sorry if i mislead you in an arbitrary conclusion.

Personally, i don't believe that the ends justify the means, so i am deeply sorry & enraged about that kind of word manipulation.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    This thread has definitely become a comedy.
    FinneousPJStummvonBordwehr
    I should hope so!

@Mathsorcerer well they do say that the greatest deception is self-deception
    edited November 2017

@Mathsorcerer well they do say that the greatest deception is self-deception

I should hope so!

@FinneousPJ well since i arrived to the same conclusion as Plato about his theory of two worlds without having read Plato or even more than 10 books i would say that i am as witty as they come but... dont take my word for it.

They also say that eyes are a window to ones soul... God i love my avatar
    i never said i am humble... maybe once but not now.

• MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    @dreamtraveler *shrug* Whatever floats your boat.
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957
    If it came between killing god (religion) and killing rational thought, I'd cheerfully do the deed and help kick dirt on the corpse in a hole behind the closest shed.
    FinneousPJ
    edited November 2017

@Wesboi am i correct to say that Dinosaurs didnt evolve into something else... they died ?

I've got degrees in geology and biology. I'll take a shot. Dinosaurs both evolved into something else AND died.

First, the fossil record is biased. It's a death assemblage, not a life assemblage. That has consequences such as less populous, less geographically diverse, or shorter lived species having less visibility in the fossil record. A reptile species that lived on one island for 3 million years has a VERY slim chance of appearing in the fossil record compared to a fish that lived across all the oceans of the world for 300 million years. Additionally, conditions have to favor burial of the corpse for millions of years and not erosion and destruction. Also, soft tissue is rarely preserved, while harder mineral tissue is.

Second, the fossil record is snapshots of a continuum. In theory, you should be able to trace the genetic line of humanity from now all the way back to the first proto-cellular life 4.2 billion years ago. And there are forks in that continuum, where a species diverged into two species. Humans aren't descended from today's chimpanzees. We're decended from something that lived 6-7 million years ago that branched off into us and chimps. Further back, something 30 million years ago split into apes and monkeys. And so on and so on.

Combined, it means that species evolve, but individuals are static. Dinosaurs died out 65Mya, but some of their predecessors had branched off and had evolved into the first birds tens of millions of years before.

Dinosaurs had been declining for awhile. The asteroid impact was the coup-de-grace. It disrupted the biosphere so completely that essentially only scavengers and omnivores survived.

If mammals had been the dominant life on earth at the time, we wouldn't be here today.
    @Quickblade i know that geology and biology are your crafts and i respect that but hear me out

Knowledge consists of three things
    1 The truth because false knowledge is not knowledge
    2 The Justification cause if you cant justify it you dont know if its true
    3 The belief in the truth and its justification cause if you dont believe them you are actually denying them

The definition of Truth according to dictionary
    Τruth is what comes in absolute agreement with reality

The definition of Reality according to dictionary
    Reality is the objective world

Truth and its three properties
    the first property is Objectivity
    the second property is Timeless
    and the third property is Subversive meaning that the truth overthrows lies

The meaning of life and the logical paradox of Choice (which by the way has all the three properties of truth)

"We are free to choose anything we want except not to choose" meaning that not making a choice is still a choice because you could have made a choice but you didn't and in some instances like lets say if someone's life is threatened and you dont act you will be held accountable by law

Last thoughts: I am not a scientists so instead of science i use logic

• LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078
    I'd say it's up to us, really, but I'm gonna go with comedy. Because bad stuff can happen in both. The distinction is in the ending. In a comedy, people resolve their problems and there's usually a happy ending. In a tragedy, people don't learn from their mistakes, fall prey to their own flaws, and end up getting a bad ending.

So I don't think we'll ever know for sure until we reach the end of the journey. But in the meantime, I'd sure rather shoot for a comedy than a tragedy.
    dreamtravelerThacoBell
  • TStaelTStael Member Posts: 861
    Play of substance and disgusting degree of chance.

Had I been born without a birth certificate, and particularly a female, into destitution of a slum in the developing nation - my chance of repeating the cycle of destitution and facing violence would be astoundingly, depressingly overwhelming.

Yet my true and rare friends shall have something to do with me, as an individual, and am I lucky there!

Tragicomedy of errors and terrors maybe?
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    It is supposed to make us laugh and cry, isn't it? I'd choose tragedy because it ibvolves dealing with frustrations and losses while making the best out of it.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    A comedy. You living bags of moving water, with your hormones and your petty trivialities that you blow up to world wide catastrophes... Are meaningless.

The sun is 4.6 billion years old. It will shine on for billions of years more. Enjoy the brief time you have in the sun. No one will remember you in the end.

Unless you are mummified and leave large burial monuments.
    mlneveseThacoBell
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    Anduin said:

Enjoy the brief time you have in the sun.

I’m in the Midwest; can confirm.
    Anduin said:

Unless you are mummified and leave large burial monuments.

Hey, it worked for Carthage. And Upchuk the Viking. And Diphthong the Moist, Overlord of Zillowac.