1. Do you have a spine condition ?13 votes
    1. Yes
      46.15%
    2. No
      53.85%

Comments

• O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    A very minor one, but yes.
  • Yes. When it comes to candy and shiny distractions, I have none.
  • TStaelTStael Member Posts: 861
    Yes, as it being exceptionally straight, not as curved as it should be, causing strain to upper and lower back. I might quite easily have collapsed vertebrae somewhere down the line.

I was recently at a physiotherapists to ask for guidance which movements would be helpful - receiving some good guidance - but I was startled by her question:

"Where you not ever signalled out for your spine by the doctor/nurse during those periodic check-ups in the comprehensive school?"

No. Too costly maybe? Or lack of medical awareness at the time? Or it has just evolved?

This bothers me, because gaming is a suboptimal hobby with this nature of spine, and I fear I might have to give it up, at some point in time, due to physical strain to the neck.

Playfully, I just see myself as the reverse-Qvasimodo, while knowing full well this is not immediately a severe thing.

@dreamtraveler - anything more difficult than that which maybe bothers you, to inspire the OP?
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I have a slight hump that is only observable from a certain angle.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    My spine is more curved than normal but it doesn't actually cause any problems.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    At least I hope not.
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    Only in the sense that Khalid has one.
  • dreamtravelerdreamtraveler Member Posts: 377
    edited December 2017
    Skatan said:

This is the most weird poll ever posted in this forum. And that's saying a lot.

@TStael
    @Skatan
    I Agree it is wierd i thought to count how many have an issue with their spine similar to mine i think mine is called slipped disk like two of them in the lower back like O3 and O4 though mine occured from doing sit ups beyond my normal weight which was at the time 60kg
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    There's nothing wrong with it, it was just so odd that the poll came out of nowhere without you explaining that you had a condition of your own. Sorry if it came across as rude @dreamtraveler.
    No you didnt came accross as rude more like insightful :smile:
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    edited December 2017
    Not really. I broke my spine once, in 1998 by falling from a rock I was climbing (no gear or anything, just wanting to take a shortcut from beach to forest while on holiday and being stupid). The fracture was mended by a French surgeon (it happened in Brittany) with screws fixing the vertebra involved. Luckily no real damage has been done to my spinal cord, once the fracture was healed and my muscles got their strength and suppleness back, I could walk, run, crawl, do silly walks and dance normally again.

A complication struck this year, as over the last four years the place where the surgery with the screws had been started leaking fluid, gathering in a hollow (and a bulge on the outside) inside the tissue of my back. Three months ago it started to infect, I got sick and had to be admitted into hospital. But with surgery, both the old screws (where bacteria had started to grow, causing the infection) and the infected fluid inside my back had been removed, the inside cleaned, my skin sown back together again (I have a long red line down my back now that my parents jokingly refer to as a zipper) and I was put on antibiotics for three months.

Tomorrow I have an appointment with the hospital for the last time, to check if everything's all right now. My guess it is, so I can tell I have no spine condition no more.
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938

Skatan said:

This is the most weird poll ever posted in this forum. And that's saying a lot.

@TStael
    @Skatan
    I Agree it is wierd i thought to count how many have an issue with their spine similar to mine i think mine is called slipped disk like two of them in the lower back like O3 and O4 though mine occured from doing sit ups beyond my normal weight which was at the time 60kg
    I was not going to vote until I saw this so I understand the reason why the poll. I had the exact same (same vertebrae as well IIRC).
    Slipped/ bulging disc basically, and never went back into place (pressing on nerves and such). Nothing worked in fixing (chiropractors, steel brace supported girdles, Feldenkrais, etc., etc. and opted for surgery after a year+ or so (spinal fusion of those to vertebrae). Was out for a summer and then back up and feeling much better. My doctors told me to lay off weights after that, which was about 30 yrs ago or so I think (mine was from motorcycle and car wreck). I imagine that procedure has progressed since then.
    I didnt lay off the weights, esp. deadlifts (both standard and romanian) and have only gotten stronger.
    Sit ups (esp. knees down) are not the safest thing for back health though. Just my opinion as a lifelong weightlifter that had back surgery in that location. Still holding strong.
    @Zaghoul i forgot to mention that no one told me i should wear belt before sit ups...i was 17 at the time.
    ok... with the pain i am experiencing now i might as well pick up a corkscrew shove it in my lower back twist it till all the nerves are wrapped around it and pull it out with all my strength...

ok... with the pain i am experiencing now i might as well pick up a corkscrew shove it in my lower back twist it till all the nerves are wrapped around it and pull it out with all my strength...

I have known that same pain, truly. Have you been given any options as to the next step?
    Well the neurosurgeon told me to avoid surgery at all costs...
    edited December 2017
    Huh. Usually surgeons are trying to cure the world one cut at a time. B) Have you done the spinal/ cortisoid injections already to see if it offers relief? What has been tried so far? I know I also went through alot of stretching that offered partial relief. Laying on the my back and pulling one knee to the chest at a time and holding, sometimes gave a little relief.
    Looking back myself, I would say yeah, try to avoid, but when all else fails I would go the surgery route and nip it right there in the bud.
    i have done an MRI (my father was amazed that i knew what MRI was and he didn't) found the problem... once when i was working in a internet cafe as tech support i used to do voltaren injections in the back i had lost the count of those injections... now i am with counterpain but it doesn't really help that much... if the problem persists i will do injections and if the pain still persists i ll look my options again... though i have heard the back must not be exposed to cold is that true ?
    I was always advised ice packs in order to reduce the swelling (attempt anyway). The steroidal inj's would have a longer lasting, stronger effect but can't stay on them forever if it persists. If it was me again Id be moving to those next on advise of my doc.