Skip to content

NWN2 Enhanced Edition (dear Beamdog!)

ComeAndSeeComeAndSee Member Posts: 8
edited January 2018 in Off-Topic
Hello, I am the admin of the Kingdom of Haven NWN2 persistent server: https://kingdomofhaven.com/

Firstly. I would like to say thank you to Beamdog for bringing back NWN into the spotlight with the articles on PCgamer and the general advertisements going around. NWNEE has been quite the talk of the NWN2 community as of late as we share a parallel community with NWN1 (although NWN1 has 2-3 times as many players). See http://www.nwnlist.com to see.

The admins of the major NWN2 servers like Baldurs Gate, Kingdom of Haven, Sigil, Aeris, Skullport, Realms of Trinity, etc. are all interested to see if there are any plans for a future EE for NWN2. The game client in particular is newer than NWN1, but has performance issues primarily around how bad the graphics pipeline and being limited to single thread performance. We have a plugin that Skywing made called NWN2 Client Extensions that clients can install that improves the game clients performance.

Aspect of Sorrow (one of the head devs at Baldurs Gate) recently got the symbols for the NWN2 server client from Rich Taylor of Obsidian to start his own side-work of creating a new NWN2 server client that can submit multi-threading, a higher player cap, and 64-bit. This is kind of our "EE" right now which would be beefing up the servers to support more players. However, it's questionable if he'll be able to finish this anytime soon due to him being a complete volunteer on it and working and stuff (kudos to him).

Really for a NWN2 EE all we would need is the multiplayer servers restored, an updated server client, a less crashy toolset (its really crashy), and a client updated (with same stuff above) to not make a 2017 high-end machine cry worse than Crysis did on a 2008 machine on high settings. I'd be more than happy to throw money into some crowdfunding just to see this happen.

So from all the admins of NWN2 servers, I'd be very pleased to see an official response from Beamdog on this! Let's not forget that NWN is a shared community of roleplayers and there's no other game that replaces NWN1/NWN2.

Comments

• ComeAndSeeComeAndSee Member Posts: 8
    edited January 2018
    (deleted)
    Post edited by ComeAndSee on
  • MrDamageMrDamage Member Posts: 210
    Dont know if you’ve seen the trello board, but they’ve got literally years of headaches and work ahead of them on nwn1.
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    I think Trent Oster has been clear that NWN2 EE is not in the cards.
    I believe it's still important to bring up the discussion either way that plenty of passionate people still play NWN2 and it will continue on either way as long as people continue to host servers for it. NWNEE unfortunately won't replace NWN2 at launch as most people are attached to their servers because of their communities and there's things that NWN2 still offers that NWN1/EE still doesn't atm.

We just don't want to feel like we're being buried under a rock if you know what I mean.
  • MadHatterMadHatter Member Posts: 145
    edited January 2018
    Deleted
    Post edited by MadHatter on
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    Sorry, about the confusion caused by behind the scenes activities here. We were investigating things. Nothing was actually deleted and now changes made to this thread have been reverted. The missing thread has been returned, but to the off-topic section. It can be seen here. Further clarification will be sent in PM.
  • FreshLemonBunFreshLemonBun Member Posts: 909
    I think if you want NWN2 EE then you should post the request on the Obsidian NWN2 boards because besides the name and the NWN2 engine being based roughly on the original engine there isn't a whole lot in common between the two. The same is true in some sense for games like Dragon Age, Jade Empire, and The Witcher. NWN was Trent's project, so it makes sense, NWN2 was not, so it doesn't make much sense.

There are some lessons NWN EE can learn from NWN2 such as in several of the interesting 2da columns added which simplifies modding, and a handful of NWscript commands. Other than that you know yourself that the game has so many issues especially with graphics and animations. They also saw fit to add in a lot more limitations to modding NWN2 for every small thing they opened up. Those are some of the most significant reasons many more ppl still play NWN over NWN2, you can just do so much more with NWN than you can with NWN2.

Anyway I think you'll have much more luck taking the request to the Obsidian Entertainment boards.
    Trent was also director, designer, and producer of NWN but wasn't involved in NWN2 and didn't work on it.

He also said in the streams, I'll paraphrase here "NWN2 went in it's own direction different to the spirit of NWN and I wouldn't have gone in that direction but it was their game not mine"

In the latest interview posted he also says "this will be my NWN2, my NWN3, NWN4, and NWN5..."

So I'm going to guess that means it wont be done by Beamdog if it does get made.

There are some lessons NWN EE can learn from NWN2 such as in several of the interesting 2da columns added which simplifies modding, and a handful of NWscript commands. Other than that you know yourself that the game has so many issues especially with graphics and animations. They also saw fit to add in a lot more limitations to modding NWN2 for every small thing they opened up. Those are some of the most significant reasons many more ppl still play NWN over NWN2, you can just do so much more with NWN than you can with NWN2.

Anyway I think you'll have much more luck taking the request to the Obsidian Entertainment boards.

NWN2 has better model support, better graphics, toolset options for hand crafting exterior terrain, options for creating UIs, instance creation, and other stuff that NWN1 is still lacking. The reason NWN1 is still more popular is because NWN2 had a higher attrition rate of servers closing down over the years and a larger sect of NWN1 players refused to move over to NWN2. Just the run of the mill. People still make content for NWN2 on a consistent basis in the vault & nexus.

The important thing is to just not forget that NWN2 still exists and people play it. My server in particular has 200 people that connect in a 24/7 period. We don't have the option of going to NWNEE because it would be a significant downgrade for us in terms of many functionalities. I'm not ragging on EE by any means. Just explaining that you can't carry over NWN2 characters/etc over to NWNEE due to how everything is so different.

NWN2EE (as explained above) doesn't need as much hard polishing as a NWNEE does and Beamdog does historically never announce they're working on something until they're actually working on it. :smile: I know it's too early, but perhaps we'll see in the future. For now most of us just use Rivatuner to cap the FPS of NWN2 to prevent your GPU from overheating (works great by the way) and the dev teams still pump out monthly content.

Just some food for thought.
  • MrDamageMrDamage Member Posts: 210
    Why did nwn2 drop the awesomeness of double sided weapons? I always hated that about that games developers.
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    Aedan said:

Trent said the same for NWN1 ;)
    That wildly misrepresents what Trent said about NWN in comparison to what he said about NWN2.

He said he wanted to do NWN, but that it didn't look likely at the time for legal reasons.

He has said he doesn't want to do NWN2.
    Many have tried it even recently and still primarily stick with the original. You might want to consider why players don't move over instead of considering the fact as the reason itself, after all nothing is stopping ppl 11 years after release to get a better experience. Maybe they just don't think it's a wholly better experience?

Quickfire list on some common issues with NWN2:
    • exterior metatiles limited to 72 triangles only
    • only 6 texture paint layers per 16 tile block (4x4) in exteriors
    • inefficient shadows rendering (ppl still turn them off in congested areas)
    • jerky animations
    • poor quality animations
    • no smooth animation transitions
    • pixilating texture post effects
    • closed source model animating
    • NWN level of character customization is non existent on NWN2 due to mesh based bodies
    • gui is less dependable
    • chat window is harder to read/follow and clumsier to use
    • camera spasms around corners
    • no body effects, no tattoos, no pale master arms
    • only 3 tint colors
    • mismatched body and head skin textures
    • small icons and items
    • area baking required (live area changes impossible)
    • incorrect displayed values for character stats
    • countless bugs like broken uncanny dodge, practiced casting exploit, and others (some admittedly fixed in an NWNX4 plugin)
    • mesh tearing and holes
    • only 30 levels
    • grass is bloat
    • the somewhat extreme non D&D interpretation of epic levels is hardcoded
    • NWN2 servers are tiny while NWN servers are huge and have more to explore

So I think NWN2 would actually take a lot more work if the goal is also that it appeals to a broader NWN audience. On the other hand if you just want a more simple update like 4k resolution without any bigger changes and fixes then you probably should be asking Obsidian.

I think you'll have a better chance asking them for a rerelease since NWN2 was Obsidian's game. I think Josh Sawyer was the lead designer on it and he's still there working on Deadfire right now. His tumblr is frog helm fan club or something if you want to shoot him a question about it. Hope that helps.
  • cherryzerocherryzero Member Posts: 129
    I’m one of the people who prefers NWN2 to NWN, and I agree with FreshLemonBun, obsidian would be the place to ask...

Though honestly I think they’re too busy with their PoE series to bother.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511

Trent was also director, designer, and producer of NWN but wasn't involved in NWN2 and didn't work on it.

He also said in the streams, I'll paraphrase here "NWN2 went in it's own direction different to the spirit of NWN and I wouldn't have gone in that direction but it was their game not mine"

In the latest interview posted he also says "this will be my NWN2, my NWN3, NWN4, and NWN5..."

So I'm going to guess that means it wont be done by Beamdog if it does get made.

In theory, an incremental approach could eventually lead to NWN1 surpassing NWN2 in all areas. You could upgrade the graphics in NWN1, whist still maintaining backwards compatability. You could add support for different rulesets to NWN1, so module builders could choose between 3.0, 3.5, or even 5e, and so on.

It's clear that in NWN2 Obsidian where more intererested in creating a BG type game than improving the toolset.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Moved to Off-topic (as a part of transferring all original NWN (not NWN:EE) and NWN2 threads out of the NWN:EE section).
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308

I’m one of the people who prefers NWN2 to NWN, and I agree with FreshLemonBun, obsidian would be the place to ask...

Though honestly I think they’re too busy with their PoE series to bother.

Yep, I agree. NwN1 sucks. NwN2 is a great game. So if it is Obsidian that makes an EE for NwN2, so be it and they will be the ones getting my money.
    edited January 2018
    Obsidian won't, because they where never really interested in the "community project" aspect aspect of NWN in the first place. They are more interested in single player party based RPGs, which is what they tried to turn NWN into, and what they are now making in thier PoE franchise (not to mention SoT and Tyranny).

If you like NWN2, Deadfire is the game you should be following.
  • casadechrissocasadechrisso Member Posts: 12
    Fardragon said:

Obsidian won't, because they where never really interested in the "community project" aspect aspect of NWN in the first place. They are more interested in single player party based RPGs, which is what they tried to turn NWN into, and what they are now making in thier PoE franchise (not to mention SoT and Tyranny).

I can't disagree more, Obsidian have always been very community friendly, listened to feedback, implemented suggestions and really tried their best. Their main problem was that they had a very buggy product to begin with, had to work on massive time restraints, and they made a more complex/modern game that isn't as easy to use for multiplayer stuff like good old tile-based NWN1. In the end though, with community help, they created a few things NWN1 has still not heard of - like the autodownloader for PWs. All of this came too late for the mainstream, I'm one of those people who hated NWN2 with a passion in the beginning. But it's a Diamond in the Rough, once I got the hang of it I really enjoyed the creative freedom it gave me as a builder and I prefer it to NWN1, despite all it's faults. But too many things happened that ruined the playerbase, the bad reputation in the beginning, a long time until PWs were really usable, a longer period of time being unavailable due to legal issues, then the Vault thing, Gamespy death, split of community. From another discussion it seems to me like NWN1 had it better and somehow survived while NWN2 practically died a slow and painful death. And that's probably why an enhanced edition is much less likely, devs and publishers probably don't see a demand for it. For me though, highest on my wishlist. Won't be Beamdog though who does it, maybe someone at Obsidian picks it up as a hobby in their free time... don't hold your breath.
    Fardragon said:

I contributed to the funding of both PoE games. And yes, it is precisely because Obsidian made NwN2 a party-based game with greater emphasis on the single player aspect of the game that makes NwN2 superior to NwN1. I can handle other things that go against my personal preference: first person over my preferred isometric; turn based combat over my preferred RTwP. But if an RPG is not party-based, it's not worth playing. Interacting with my party companions is huge part of why I even play RPGs. This is why it doesn't matter how awesome Morrowind may be. It's solo play, so it's not my thing. I tried playing Skyrim, and I really, really tried to like it, but I walked away from it midpoint and have never gone back.
    Which is fair enough, but it's pretty apparent that the NWNEE is focused on the multiplayer and persistant world aspect if the game, and that is what Trent/Beamdog is interested in.

Meawhile, Obsidian is focused on new party based single player rpgs using the far more suitable isometric viewpoint, and have no-reason to revistit a half-baked abortion that still works as well as it ever did.
    edited January 2018
    To address some of these things which I am going to call myths about NWN2.

exterior metatiles limited to 72 triangles only

Exteriors are limited to 32x32 and there are plugins for the NWN2 toolset that let you take a terrain and import it ingame into how many maps you want. https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn2/other/tool/terracoppa-v18

A 32x32 exterior is rather large and you can do more things in NWN2 with exteriors like creating vertical terrain.

only 6 texture paint layers per 16 tile block (4x4) in exteriors

The textures are limited, but you can do more natural blending of textures together in exterior areas to make more realistic look exteriors. If you need more then 6 textures in a single tile you're not doing it right.

inefficient shadows rendering (ppl still turn them off in congested areas)

Shadows are an issue.

jerky animations
    poor quality animations
    no smooth animation transitions

Not sure if you've played NWN2, but most NWN2 servers use KEMO animations. On our server we have over 100 custom animations for players to use. The animations aren't jerky and are standard quality for the age.

pixilating texture post effects

Don't know what this means.

closed source model animating

You have to download an older version of 3ds MAX to modify stuff and there's been numerous tutorials released lately on how to import and export stuff with Blender. I know people who still make animations for NWN2 and there's still custom creatures showing up on the vault every month that people are importing from other games.

People have also been importing outfits from Skyrim.

NWN level of character customization is non existent on NWN2 due to mesh based bodies

This is incorrect. NWN2 has a system called xp_craft which allows you to take items and modify them inside of a tailor shop. You can change the appearance of an item, the coloration, add accessories, etc. Myself and another scripter even made a system that lets people change their hair styles/hair colors and even their skin choices ingame.

gui is less dependable

Not sure what "less dependable" means. I've made my own XML UIs in NWN2 and have found them to be rather reliable and easy to script with. I even made an ingame instant messenger system.

chat window is harder to read/follow and clumsier to use

Not even sure how this is a thing. Chat window is easy to follow and you can resize it. The buttons are user friendly.

camera spasms around corners

Camera spasming around corners sounds like a performance issue on the PC. I have been playing NWN2 for 5 years and have never had that happen to me.

no body effects, no tattoos, no pale master arms

These customization aren't present in NWN2, nope. We have other customizations available like wings/tails/etc.

only 3 tint colors

Not sure how this is an issue. For outfits you only need 3 tint colors.

mismatched body and head skin textures

This comes down entirely to the modeler making their outfit. There's different base skins that people make with heads + outfits at times and the skintones don't match up. It's not a NWN2 issue, but an issue with mispaired base skins being used.

small icons and items

Icons are not small. You can resize your UI.

area baking required (live area changes impossible)

In NWN2, walkmesh .trx files are stored locally on the clients machine. In order for you to update the walkmesh of the area you have to push an update on the autodownloader and make sure the updated .trx is on the server. If you're not updating walkmesh you can copy over any other map changes.

This is hardly an inconvenience in NWN2 as server admins usually push their content in weekly or once a month.

incorrect displayed values for character stats

Not sure what this means. There's a visual things in NWN2 that don't show on your character sheet like Insightful Strike, but 95% of the other stuff displays on the character sheet.

countless bugs like broken uncanny dodge, practiced casting exploit, and others (some admittedly fixed in an NWNX4 plugin)

All of these are fixed in a NWNX4 plugin as stated amongst other things.

mesh tearing and holes

What?

only 30 levels

Believe me, NWN2 DOES NOT need 40 levels. There are NWNX4 plugins to unlock level 40, but it would lead to hugely unbalanced PCs.

grass is bloat

What?

the somewhat extreme non D&D interpretation of epic levels is hardcoded

Not sure what you mean by hardcoded. I've made over 30 custom classes and edits so far and you can edit the base classes and expand on them.

NWN2 servers are tiny while NWN servers are huge and have more to explore

Not sure what you mean by "tiny". In terms of map sizes? This is incorrect. Some of the servers like Baldurs Gate have over 200+ player maps. My server has roughly around 150~ excluding instanced areas.

So I think NWN2 would actually take a lot more work if the goal is also that it appeals to a broader NWN audience. On the other hand if you just want a more simple update like 4k resolution without any bigger changes and fixes then you probably should be asking Obsidian.

The reason I don't have a "long" list of things because the amount of things that are broken are the level of inconveniences more so then anything game breaking. You can't play NWN2 in ultra graphics, but its not an issue since people are primarily playing the multiplayer for roleplaying.

The community of NWN2 has been doing a good job fixing its own issue, primarily with Skywing's client extensions: https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn2/other/nwn2-client-extension
    edited January 2018
    To address some of these things which I am going to call myths about NWN2.

exterior metatiles limited to 72 triangles only

Exteriors are limited to 32x32 and there are plugins for the NWN2 toolset that let you take a terrain map and import it ingame into how many maps you want. https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn2/other/tool/terracoppa-v18

A 32x32 exterior is rather large and are rarely used unless you're just wanting to make a ridiculously huge city map or something. You'd basically be a dot on the map unable to find other people.

only 6 texture paint layers per 16 tile block (4x4) in exteriors

The textures are limited, but you can do more natural blending of textures together in exterior areas to make more realistic look exteriors. If you need more then 6 textures in a single tile you're not doing it right.

inefficient shadows rendering (ppl still turn them off in congested areas)

Shadows are an issue.

jerky animations
    poor quality animations
    no smooth animation transitions

Not sure if you've played NWN2, but most NWN2 servers use KEMO animations. On our server we have over 100 custom animations for players to use. The animations aren't jerky and are standard quality for the age.

pixilating texture post effects

Don't know what this means.

closed source model animating

You have to download an older version of 3ds MAX to modify stuff and there's been numerous tutorials released lately on how to import and export stuff with Blender. I know people who still make animations for NWN2 and there's still custom creatures showing up on the vault every month that people are importing from other games.

People have also been importing outfits from Skyrim.

NWN level of character customization is non existent on NWN2 due to mesh based bodies

This is incorrect. NWN2 has a system called xp_craft which allows you to take items and modify them inside of a tailor shop. You can change the appearance of an item, the coloration, add accessories, etc. Myself and another scripter even made a system that lets people change their hair styles/hair colors and even their skin choices ingame.

gui is less dependable

Not sure what "less dependable" means. I've made my own XML UIs in NWN2 and have found them to be rather reliable and easy to script with.

chat window is harder to read/follow and clumsier to use

Not even sure how this is a thing. Chat window is easy to follow and you can resize it. The buttons are user friendly.

camera spasms around corners

Camera spasming around corners sounds like a performance issue on the PC. I have been playing NWN2 for 5 years and have never had that happen to me.

no body effects, no tattoos, no pale master arms

These customization aren't present in NWN2, nope. We have other customizations available like wings/tails/etc.

only 3 tint colors

Not sure how this is an issue. For outfits you only need 3 tint color categories. NWN2 supports 65536 colors.

This comes down entirely to the modeler making their outfit. There's different base skins that people make with heads + outfits at times and the skintones don't match up. It's not a NWN2 issue, but an issue with mispaired base skins being used.

small icons and items

Icons are not small. You can resize your UI.

area baking required (live area changes impossible)

In NWN2, walkmesh .trx files are stored locally on the clients machine. In order for you to update the walkmesh of the area you have to push an update on the autodownloader and make sure the updated .trx is on the server. If you're not updating walkmesh you can copy over any other map changes.

This is hardly an inconvenience in NWN2 as server admins usually push their content in weekly or once a month.

incorrect displayed values for character stats

Not sure what this means. There's a visual things in NWN2 that don't show on your character sheet like Insightful Strike, but 95% of the other stuff displays on the character sheet.

countless bugs like broken uncanny dodge, practiced casting exploit, and others (some admittedly fixed in an NWNX4 plugin)

All of these are fixed in a NWNX4 plugin as stated amongst other things.

mesh tearing and holes

What?

only 30 levels

Believe me, NWN2 DOES NOT need 40 levels. There are NWNX4 plugins to unlock level 40, but it would lead to hugely unbalanced classes.

grass is bloat

What?

the somewhat extreme non D&D interpretation of epic levels is hardcoded

Not sure what you mean by hardcoded. I've made over 30 custom classes and edits so far and you can edit the base classes and expand on them.

NWN2 servers are tiny while NWN servers are huge and have more to explore

Not sure what you mean by "tiny". In terms of map sizes? This is incorrect. Some of the servers like Baldurs Gate have over 200+ player maps. My server has roughly around 150~ excluding instanced areas.

The reason I don't have a "long" list of things because the amount of things that are broken are the level of inconveniences more so then anything game breaking. You can't play NWN2 in ultra graphics, but its not an issue since people are primarily playing the multiplayer for roleplaying.

The community of NWN2 has been doing a good job fixing its own issue, primarily with Skywing's client extensions: https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn2/other/nwn2-client-extension
    Post edited by ComeAndSee on
  • rede9rede9 Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 1,947
    Aedan said:

Trent said the same for NWN1 ;)
    NWN2 is an Obsidian game. I do not see why it should let beamdog to manage its game.
    I rather Beamdog take Lionheart into account. It's the last Black Isle game.
  • casadechrissocasadechrisso Member Posts: 12

I tried to address that a long time ago. Nudity works ( o:) ), it's possible to make clothing that shows the matching skin underneath. (NSFW)

https://www.nexusmods.com/neverwinter2/mods/9 (should also be on the vault somewhere if the whole archive from IGN was secured)
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    NWN2 was the first and only game I regret spending money with.

If it wasn't for a mod called Path of Evil my CDs would be in the thrash.

It is ugly now and was ugly back in its release date. The way the character moves are lame, positioning the camera was a hellish task, the main campaign was poor written and I could stay here all the day stating how much I hate it.
    @ComeAndSee You are missing the point by a very large margin, and it is not a request for a refutation. You clearly enjoy NWN2 over NWN and that is perfectly fine but you are not going to convince ppl that don't share your point on view, only those that already agree will nod their heads and not change their mind. Which is fine.

A point of proof that you missed the point, take the first refutation, you incorrectly did not observe that each metatile is in fact a mesh composed of 72 triangles or faces and that this is an irrefutable limitation. You can extol the benefits of NWN2's terrain over NWN but only within the confines of a mesh composed of 72 triangles. The competition in this case is not NWN2 vs NWN, it is NWN2 vs 3DSMAX and clearly the later always wins. The terrain tool is nothing more than an extremely primitive 3D mesh generator, if a tile mesh exceeds 72 faces it has already surpassed NWN2's limits.

Your other refutations similarly ignore the issues with NWN2 and in some cases even inflates the quality of poorly made mods. I'm sure most lingering NWN2 players don't consider NWN2 issues as problems at all, but preaching to the choir isn't a good strategy when you want to change opposing views and observations.

In other news you can't make ppl like your favorite food if they don't like it.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    I used to think NwN2 had the absolute worst possible camera ever programmed for a game.

Then I bought Witcher 3.
    Fardragon said:

Which is fair enough, but it's pretty apparent that the NWNEE is focused on the multiplayer and persistant world aspect if the game, and that is what Trent/Beamdog is interested in.

Agree, but this is also what has me very worried. Is this focus on multiplayer and persistent world satisfied by NwNEE, or is this focus going to be what Beamdog is all about with all of their future games, especially the game @David_Gaider is working on?
    You can make good art with a low number of polygons, and bad art with lots.

NWN2 is an ugly game, irrespective of anything technical.