Skip to content

News about the 2.5 patch

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,713
    edited May 2018
    Hello, @Jawgo. The bug you mention has gone through several stages of triage and it has been decided that with current amount of severe issues needing a fix, team resources and time already spent on the 2.5 patch the bug "Imported dual class characters should have the correct hit points" won't be fixed as a part of the 2.5 patch. Sorry.

You can use the EE-Keeper to set HPs manually.
  • JawgoJawgo Member Posts: 4
    edited June 2018

Jawgo said:

Jawgo said:

Is the dual class character import bug going to be fixed? I'm currently playing BG:EE from GOG (version 2.3.67.3) and leveled a fighter (Con 18) to Lvl 6, then exported the character and imported it into The Black Pits; within TBP, I immediately dual classed her to mage, then leveled her to Lvl 8 and exported again. She had a total of 102 HP as a dual class fighter/mage (Lvl 6/8, respectively); when I imported into a new BG:EE game, her HP was 60...

Or has this bug been fixed in some version newer than 2.3.67.3? And if so, how do I upgrade my version? GOG still only has v2.3.67.3 available as an option.

The beta is not available on GoG so you'll have to wait until the full patch is released before you can update.
    Oh ok, I'm fine with that... will this patch be fixing the bug I described though?
    I think this is the bug you described. Thus far it looks like it is submitted and thus internally tracked, but not fixed (yet). There is also the same type of bug reported for BG2:EE which is also on 'submitted' status.

Hello, @Jawgo. The bug you mention has gone through several stages of triage and it has been decided that with current amount of severe issues needing a fix, team resources and time already spent on the 2.5 patch the bug "Imported dual class characters should have the correct hit points" won't be fixed as a part of the 2.5 patch. Sorry.

You can use the EE-Keeper to set HPs manually.

Thanks for the info Doubledimas and JuliusBorisov. I'll refrain from importing dual class characters for the time being then; I've tried looking into getting EE-Keeper to work on a Mac and, well... let's just say I'm not great with computers, haha.

I love your game by the way (BG:EE); it has caused me no end of problems in my personal life because of playing it too much! Maybe I should do something about that >_>
    JuliusBorisovAntipatikobob_veng
  • Schabik09Schabik09 Member Posts: 116
    edited June 2018
    when there will be 2.5 a Beta update

And when Polish subtitles help will translatess SOD
    Post edited by Schabik09 on
  • BelegCuthalionBelegCuthalion Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 453
    I'm wondering: there are some 2.5 final patches out for some games / platforms, others are still in beta.
    Assuming that there still may be engine-level bugfixes on their way in these betas, will the 2.5s that are already put be patched again with these fixes?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,713
    Yes, all the games/platforms will be on the same patch level, eventually. Having the same engine fixes is essential for MP.
  • PartureParture Member Posts: 2
    Will the special that expires in 1 day that I just bought from GOG (BOGEE, BOGEE, SOD) for $15 be updated and free to the new version when the Beta 2.5 is finished?
    Yes, the 2.5 patch will come to GOG.
    Actarusminsc4prez
  • Sophiel777Sophiel777 Member Posts: 54
    How long until the official release?
    Where can I read the full changelog of the 2.5 version?
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286

How long until the official release?

Depends on which game you mean. IWD is updated to 2.5 but will receive a further upgrade once the other games are updated to 2.5. BG2:EE should be coming in very soon.

Where can I read the full changelog of the 2.5 version?

For the betas you can see the changelog on the Beamblog. At the end of the patch cycle there will be a separate changelog for Infinity Engine changes as that will cover all the games that are patched (IWD, BG:EE, SoD, BG2:EE).

JuliusBorisov
  • Sophiel777Sophiel777 Member Posts: 54
    Depends on which game you mean. IWD is updated to 2.5 but will receive a further upgrade once the other games are updated to 2.5. BG2:EE should be coming in very soon.

I mean Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 specifically.
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    When you say IWD will be updated, does that mean patch 2.6 for IWD, putting it again numerically out of sequence with the other platforms? Or a confusing second 2.5 patch? Will BG series skip 2.5 entirely and jump to 2.6 with IWD? Some other crazy permutation that I missed?!

Also, is the IWD catch-up planned before, after, or as part of, the Mac App Store update?

When you say IWD will be updated, does that mean patch 2.6 for IWD, putting it again numerically out of sequence with the other platforms? Or a confusing second 2.5 patch? Will BG series skip 2.5 entirely and jump to 2.6 with IWD? Some other crazy permutation that I missed?!

IWD is at the moment on v2.5.16.3. The latest fixes for BG:EE/BG2:EE are for version 2.5.16.5. So if the patches for BG:EE/BG2:EE come out with that version number, IWD:EE needs a small patch to be upgraded to that version as well to ensure parity. Same goes for SoD.

Can't answer your question with regards to Mac App Store updates.

Exactly. We're talking about the 2.5 patch. It'll have .16.5, or any other additional number - it'll depend on the team. And if anything, it'll be consistent with other games.

An update for the Mac App Store will bring the same 2.5 patch as the one which will be available on Beamdog.com, Steam, etc. So that all the platforms could becompatible.
    Aerakar
    So if I understand correctly, we need to start using 3-number patch IDs, 2.5.x, as 2.5 will no longer be enough information to identify the version?
    edited June 2018

So if I understand correctly, we need to start using 3-number patch IDs, 2.5.x, as 2.5 will no longer be enough information to identify the version?

When all games are in the final version (thus out of beta) 2.5 will suffice (because they will all be 2.5.xx.x). It's just that with the current beta things run a little bit out of sync and 3-number IDs are useful.

It's been the case for a long time. The current retail version is 2.3.68. And for 1.3 - 1.3.2053.
    @Doubledimas the issue is IWD, that will follow the released patch 2.5 with the next patch 2.5.

If I look at the Mac App Store for BG2EE, it lists the current version only as v1.3, not as v1.3.2064.

Looks like IWDEE lists as v1.4.0 though, and BGEE as 1.3.2053, so I guess it is just a matter of ensuring the full info is provided when submitting for App Store review/listing?

As a customer though, I would rather have simpler version numbers to quote, as can be seen by almost every thread listing only the first two numbers - we expect the third number to be unique for a release on a single platform, not something to list every time, especially as it a much less memorable number (single and double-digit numbers are more familiar from daily use, so turn out to be more easily remembered).

Consider this a feature request that the consistent patch level be renumbered 2.6 instead ;)
    I do not understand what the issue is. IWD is 2.5 at the moment (15.5), and after a bit of time it will be the same 2.5 (16.5 or further) as the rest of the games. IWD was released as a final version perhaps a bit prematurely which caused the need for a small update to arise. So in the end every version will be 2.5.16.5 but no need to state the 16.5 (only relevant for internal (Beamdog) use) so we (users) will refer to it as 2.5 as every game will have that same 2.5 build.
    modestvolta
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    The problem is that we will end up with two final 2.5 release for IWD.

If someone does not update its IWD 2.5 installation, it may cause problem in multiplayer with other IWD 2.5 user (unless Beamdog ensure that the two 2.5 are compatible).
  • BelegCuthalionBelegCuthalion Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 453
    But that would be the very same problem if the new iwd patch is called 2.6.xx.xx - if some 2.5 user does not update, he won't be compatible with a 2.6 player.

The full game version (exact build number) can be seen ingame on the start screen.
    And of course multiplayer does check for the full build number and does not stop after the second digit assuming everything will be right after that. So theres no difference whether the compatibility check says "hey, you have 2.5 and your partner has 2.6, please update", or it says "heyy you have 2.5.xx.xx and your partner has 2.5.yy.yy, please update".
    lefreut said:

The problem is that we will end up with two final 2.5 release for IWD.

If someone does not update its IWD 2.5 installation, it may cause problem in multiplayer with other IWD 2.5 user (unless Beamdog ensure that the two 2.5 are compatible).

They won't be because looking at Redmine 2.5.16.x has some bug fixes for IWD:EE MP specifically.
    lefreut
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    As @Doubledimas said, the full version should only be relevant for internal use. My point is that with two 2.5 release for IWD, it's no longer true.
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    It seems the update for BG2:EE is live on Android (v2.5.16.6)......
    lefreutrede9
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    so now that bg2 ee patch is live any news for bg 1 ee? i've been holding off another run since like April waiting.
  • valamyrvalamyr Member Posts: 130
    It could be a bit still I think, because its tied to desktop Dragonspear which is, as I understand it, the thing that needs the most work. I'd say sometimes in July-ish..?
    valamyr said:

It could be a bit still I think, because its tied to desktop Dragonspear which is, as I understand it, the thing that needs the most work. I'd say sometimes in July-ish..?

not really. SoD already received a major boost when it became live on tablets. That version is already a 2.5 version do it only needs to be upgraded to the latest version that BG2 is now released on.
  • valamyrvalamyr Member Posts: 130
    edited June 2018
    Its not quite the same. On tablets Dragonspear is standalone, on PC its a beast of its own tied to BG1. PC-Dragonspear 2.5 was also never made public unlike the other BG games on PC. So I expect BG1+Dragonspear to be released dead last, though as always I'm a pessimist who hopes to be proven wrong :)
    I hope to go one better and see SoD released on the Mac App Store, but as of now, there is officially no news about whether or not that will ever happen.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @valamyr It was always planned for BG1+SoD to be released last. The initial announcement of the 2.5 patch cycle said that SoD was gonna be its own focus after IWD, BG1, and BG2 were fully released.