Skip to content

Is Clairvoyance INDOOR a cheat?

rede9rede9 Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 1,947
I cast a spell with Neera in the Durlag's tower and Wild Surge Area explored happened! I had no idea of that possibility.
It makes me think: Why Clairvoyance doesn't work INDOOR? It is supposed to be a cheat, making dungeon exploration easier without unknown factor?

[ @JuliusBorisov Is this the right section? ]

Comments

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    This surge was actually part of a speedrun a while back, I think. The player basically save-scummed until they got the Clairvoyance option... or maybe it was the wild surge that opens all doors in the area.

I never saw any reason why Clairvoyance wouldn't work indoors, either from a conceptual or game balance purpose. The fog of war is present both indoors and outdoors, exploring and scouting is equally important both indoors and outdoors, and Farsight works indoors and outdoors, so there's really no reason Clairvoyance wouldn't apply in both cases.

You can actually mod the spell to be usable indoors, just like you can mod Call Lightning to be usable indoors. You just need to remove the "Outdoors only" flag in Near Infinity. The wild surge option didn't have that flag, so I'm not even sure it's a bug.
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    If Clairvoyance worked indoors, I'd actually use it. Even though I know most of the maps, it's still nice to have that info in front of you.
  • DrakeICNDrakeICN Member Posts: 623

This surge was actually part of a speedrun a while back, I think. The player basically save-scummed until they got the Clairvoyance option... or maybe it was the wild surge that opens all doors in the area.

Speedrun eh? There is one hundred entries in the wild surge and only AO knows how many lvl 2... or 3... or whatever level that spell is, spells. And they did it for how many indoor areas? The only way I would agree to such reload mental torture horror is if I could have half an hour alone time with a nude cheerleader!
  • Jaheiras_WitnessJaheiras_Witness Member Posts: 614
    The only reason it is outdoors only is because of some PnP mechanics over how the spell is supposed to function. In power terms, it is a useless spell so it hardly affects any gameplay by making it work indoors. Btw Clairvoyance scrolls do work indoors.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    lroumen said:

since scrolls are not affected by dead/wild magic areas, and spellcasting from scrolls is not interrupted by damage or silence

wait... What!?! O.o

You learn something new every day. Even after two decades!!! I never even tried that.

this is really useful if you use PI and have a spare TS scroll, if the enemy is not going to use DM or TSight to dispel the PI. you are almost sure that the Time Stop will trigger and then the PI can unleash all its spell book without any problem. and you still have the scroll at the end of the combo and a free slot on lev9 spell book...

but casting from scrolls has also disadvantages, the caster level is 10 even if your mage is much more advanced, the casting time is not reduced using RoV and AoP and IA does not work with scrolls, only for spells cast from the spell book and HLA.

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @gorgonzola: Casting speed bonuses actually affect scrolls in the more recent versions of EE (though casting via spell slots is faster because it takes 1-2 seconds to begin using a scroll). Some mods change scroll casting levels, but Improved Alacrity's inability to allow you to use more than one scroll or item in a round is hard-coded.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    i did not know that. the version of ee i am using is not the last one, i have very little time to play at now and i want to reach the end of my current run before updating it.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Who cares about alacrity? Casting spells in dead zones is the game changer here.
  • rede9rede9 Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 1,947
    Are there dead zone over Black Pits?
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Hmmm, I realise that came across as a bit gruff. I am just still recuperating from the realisation...