Skip to content

What is your time zone?

elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
edited November 2012 in Multiplayer
Sorry about the off and on weird deleting then coming back posting. Seems I screwed up on North America, which is hilarious because I live in North America.

I know on the surface this may seem like a weird question to ask, however given there will be an improved multiplayer element to the game I thought it might be prudent to establish a poll people could use as a reference point if they wanted to play multiplayer with other people on these forums.

If you aren't sure what time zone you are in go to this website and type in the name of the city you live in/is close to you. In the chart it will show whatever value you happen to be (so in the case of New York it says UTC/GMT -5 hours which is the same as UTC - 5). If you are living in a country that is south of the equator which follows daylight savings time then use the "Current time zone offset" time. In the case of Eastern Australia right now that likely means UST +11 for instance (though they have exemptions to this). If you still aren't sure feel free to PM me and we will figure it out. Just remember though once you vote there is no un-voting (not that it really is that big of a deal lol).

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=1440

So since under UTC there are 25 integer time zones (0 and the either +/- 12 - plus New Zealand which just had to be different at +13 right now) I've had to compress them up due to limited poll options. In this case I gave every time zone a partner, with the exceptions being parts of North America, as well as Western, Central and Eastern Europe, and the UST +11/12/+13 times which I merged. I figured it would at least make it easier for people in places that are under-represented on these forums to find someone to play with (other than a friend or whatever). I know there is already a poll on what continent/ country you come from, but there are a few countries with more than one time zone and I just figured this would probably help with accuracy. If you are in a country like India, Burma, or Newfoundland (not a country but a wonderful Island filled with Moose) and you use 1/2 time zones (so you are 1/2 hr behind or ahead of other countries) just use your best judgement I guess.

So if you want to also say where you are from, what your exact UTC time is, and what character you might want to play go ahead. Point of this is just to make it easier for people to find match-ups when the game comes out.
  1. What is your time zone?213 votes
    1. UTC -10/ - 11/- 12 (Hawaii + French Polynesia / Samoa + Midway Atoll)
        0.47%
    2. UTC -7/-8/-9 (Mountain, Pacific, and Alaska)
        7.04%
    3. UTC -4/-5/ -6 (Atlantic Standard + Eastern Caribbean Time/ Eastern Standard + Caribbean Time + Central - South America Time/ Central US - Canada Time)
      17.37%
    4. UTC -1/-2/-3 (Azores + Greenland/ Parts of Brazil under DST)
        2.35%
    5. UTC + 0/+1/+2 (Western Europe Time/ Central European Time + Western Africa Time / Eastern European + Central Africa Time)
      62.91%
    6. UTC +3/ +4 (East Africa Time +Eastern Europe Forward Time + Arabia Standard Time/ Persian Gulf Standard Time)
        1.88%
    7. UTC +5/ +6 (Central Asia + South Asia + Indian Ocean/ Bangladesh + Bhutan + parts of Russia etc)
        0.94%
    8. UTC +7/ +8 (Indochina Time/parts of Russia + China + Western Australia etc)
        1.41%
    9. UTC +9/ +10 (Japan + Korea + Indonesia + parts of Russia/ Papua New Guinea+ Guam + parts of Russia )
        2.35%
    10. UTC +11/+12/ +13 (Eastern Australia under DST + parts of Russia + New Zealand under DST)
        3.29%
Post edited by elminster on

Comments

• Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    edited November 2012
    UTC 0/+1 (depending on time of year) - I'm in the UK
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    Denmark here :)
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I think this is good now. I guess Western Australia is +9 this time of year and not 8. But to be honest just making this was tiring and I'm not fixing it again (this being the third posting of it and all) :p
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    Norway here =) Looks like we'll have plenty of MP opportunities!
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    I live in a world beyond space and time.

I live in a world beyond space and time.

Sorry I did not include a police box in all of this.
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    UTC +1 (Western Europe).

My internal timezone is a different matter but generally 2-3 hours after the rest of my country's population. :D

UTC +1 (Western Europe).

My internal timezone is a different matter but generally 2-3 hours after the rest of my country's population. :D

Man all this time zone politics is very confusing. Especially when you get tiny regional variations along with things like DST in different hemispheres :)
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    Wow. I'm the only one in my time zone so far (although I know of a couple more in here). I'm in São Paulo.
    Kilivitz said:

Wow. I'm the only one in my time zone so far (although I know of a couple more in here). I'm in São Paulo.

You may pick up a few people since I posted this rather late :)
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    Bweeh, I want to play Fallout, at least I'm S.P.E.C.I.A.L. there. In most polls, when I vote, I'm with the mayority, just an average Son.
  • KirkorKirkor Member Posts: 700
    I live in a timezone 2d6 + 2 (+3 against undead)
  • drsahldrsahl Member Posts: 65
    lordkim said:

Denmark here :)

I am sorry to be rude.. But your former forum exploits, combined with your name and humour gave that away long ago!!

• VermillionVermillion Member Posts: 20
    UTC+4 Moscow, Russia
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    UK here.
  • etaglocetagloc Member Posts: 349
    aaaand another Dane..
    By god the danes are everywhere. Did I put this in the Carlsberg forum by accident? :p
  • BabylonBabylon Member Posts: 10
    edited November 2012
    Novosibirsk, Russia. I am from Siberia. UTC+7 now, and UTC+6 in summer, because our president implemented permanent daylight saving time last year.
    Post edited by Babylon on
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    GMT: UK :)
  • hummer010hummer010 Member Posts: 95

UTC+4 Moscow, Russia

I live right near a town called Vermilion. -7/-8/-9.
  • KhemrikharaKhemrikhara Member Posts: 14
    edited November 2012
    This was weird, because I know I'm +10, and then Australia wasn't in +10! But yes, technically +11 in Sydney at the moment, I guess.

Edit: Also, Queensland and Western Australia don't have DST, so QLD would be +10 still, and WA would be +8... so you're correct with WA at least ;)
  • allhailsteveallhailsteve Member Posts: 210
    GMT - Birmingham, UK
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    I dont have a time zone
  • DarksheerDarksheer Member Posts: 84
    Tampere, Finland. Hoping BGEE will bring light to these dark and gloomy days before Christmas.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    No love for the .5 timezones?
  • ForseForse Member Posts: 106
    edited November 2012
    Sweden here. Also known as Ten Towns. :)
    Edit: Sorry, maybe Norway is more deserving of that title. Well, I'm from the Neverwinter area then. :)
  • MoradinMoradin Member Posts: 372
    I'm surprised that about two thirds of who writes on this forum is Europe-based. I thought the game would be strong enough in the States/Canada/Central-South America, at least as much as in Europe...
    Maybe it's because it's still early here, let's give it some time!
    Anyway, GMT - 5 here, Montreal.
  • DarksheerDarksheer Member Posts: 84
    Forse said:

Sweden here. Also known as Ten Towns. :)
    Edit: Sorry, maybe Norway is more deserving of that title. Well, I'm from the Neverwinter area then. :)

Well hello there neighbour! :) Apparently I'm from Vaasa then. ^^ http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Vaasa
  • EleutherosEleutheros Member Posts: 70
    This is like watching CNN counting the votes in Florida/Ohio/Virginia... Our timezone is leading but we know there are a lot of people left to count who will vote for the other ones... Good fun!
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    In the States, we call my timezone "Eastern Standard Time", or EST. The U.S. midwestern states are on "Central Standard Time", or CST. Then there's "Mountain Standard Time" or "MST", which covers the most sparsely populated states, like Colorado and Wyoming, and "Pacific Standard Time", or PST.