Skip to content

Avoiding/disabling romances

Hi all
Just a small question regarding romances and quest content:
Does avoiding romances (either by choosing a race/gender combo that is incompatible with any of the NPC's, or modding the game to not start romances) mean losing out on substantial quest content, or would most of the NPC quests be available regardless (without the romantic aspect, of course)?

Comments

• PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    edited January 2018
    Djinn said:

Hi all
    Just a small question regarding romances and quest content:
    Does avoiding romances (either by choosing a race/gender combo that is incompatible with any of the NPC's, or modding the game to not start romances) mean losing out on substantial quest content, or would most of the NPC quests be available regardless (without the romantic aspect, of course)?

It depends. Every romance is individual (vanilla or mod added) and none follow the same pattern, e.g. Jaheira has a quest and romance interconnected while Aerie has not (unless you count the circus plot to get her.)

You have any specific NPC in mind?
  • DjinnDjinn Member Posts: 76
    Hmm, okay. Nice to know that some of do and some of them don't. Thanks!
    I prefer playing a female character, so the NPCs I had in mind to begin with were hexxat or rasaad. But if I do decide to do a male PC playthrough, do neera or viconia have quests that only trigger if you're romancing them?
    do neera or viconia have quests that only trigger if you're romancing them?

No. (I not played Neera in ToB yet, so not sure here.)

female character, hexxat or rasaad

I don't know.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    actually i hate the romances because the character you are romancing will be losing out on some HUGE XP
    because if you are successful enough in your romance bodhi will turn them into a vampire, and then you have to drag their body over to the shade lord temple, so they lose all the bodhi encounter experience which is A LOT
    so because of that i hate the romances, although if you run off to spell hold as soon as possible you can miss out on that encounter

but in terms of extra XP and or items you wont be missing out on anything
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    @sarevok57

EE NPCs don't lose that XP because Bodhi don't take them. So if you romance them, you're fine in this regard!
    Djinn said:

But if I do decide to do a male PC playthrough, do neera or viconia have quests that only trigger if you're romancing them?

Neera - no, but Viconia's romance includes fights, which can be considered mini-quests.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    For a female CHARNAME, Anomen's romance is the more interesting IMO.
    Raduziel said:

For male players playing a female character, maybe.
    For female players playing a female character you need to install mods to find a mate...
    For a both a male or a female character, I don't really think ANY of the romances are interesting, least of all Anomen. He totally rubs me the wrong way. And I mean, I'd never even hang out with the dude if I met him IRL, so why would I want a fictitious romance with him in a game? Now, I might be interested in a romance between a female main character and valygar, but that's it, really.

Are there any romance mods for female characters that you can recommend, @PaulaMigrate ?
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714

Raduziel said:

For male players playing a female character, maybe.
    For female players playing a female character you need to install mods to find a mate...
    I told that because his romance gives extra content (that should not be romance-related IMO)
    Raduziel said:

I told that because his romance gives extra content (that should not be romance-related IMO)

LOL maybe I'll just romance him for the extra content, then dump his ass, hehe.
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,671
    I liked the Anomen romance.
    1: In the German localization, he has a far more agreeable voive.
    2: It was the first time I played the game, so I never saw his "other" non-romance dialogues that easily make him look like a jerk.