Skip to content

Inexplicable xp gain

So I just noticed that when my pc reaches enough xp for level 9, another characters in party have their xp increased to 250 000.

what.

Once again I am not sure if a mod does this, but I dont recall installing any such mod. Is this something that BGEE does? Or is it something that was always in there and I somehow overlooked it for over a decade?

Comments

• gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    strange, if the other character was in the party.
    the fact that npcs xp change according to charname xp when you recruit them the first time is well known and documented, if you get them when you are low level they are low level, if you get them at higher level they are higher level too, up to 1.25M xp if i am not wrong. but as they are in the party that should not happen anymore, they share the kills xp and get the quest one, but is no more related to charname xp.
    ThacoBell
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    The idea is to make sure that NPCs are helpful and not so underleveled. Otherwise you might have a level 7 NPC trying to keep up with a player who is already at level 14 and fighting high-end enemies.
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    In addition to the mechanism @sarevok57 explains, there are sometimes quests or events that are related to a specific NPC and give that one personal xp. Or the PC and the NPC related to a certain quest. The examples I recall are from mods, so did it happen with a mod added NPC?
    Bleriot
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    NPCs in the Enhanced Editions are scripted to match roughly the level of the protagonist. There is a known bug in Jaheira's level script however, that causes issues like this.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    based on the above bug, im really thinking that the script itself does not activate until the specific trigger is met, so even if you have a party member or two around for awhile, it's still entirely possible that the script is still "active" per se because the trigger hasn't been met
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    It can also be triggered by having the NPC get Level Drained, as its temporarily locks their detectable EXP at the amount for the adjusted level.
    Proontsemiticgoddesssarevok57