Skip to content

Pathfinder : Kingmaker

Comments

• PsicoVicPsicoVic Member Posts: 868
    edited July 2019
    PsicoVic wrote: »

I think many people uses too freely the term "bad design" when talking about this game. It is not a bad design to have tough fights, battles that require some trick, level your party up, different tactics, access to some equipment. I do not think this is a bad design, I think they design it exactly that way.

Have only one/ two options for advisors, and some of them can even leave so you lose them forever? That you could call a "weird" or "bad" design choice( they already address it in the last patch). Have a tough fight? Not much IMHO.
    It is not "you cannot kill swarms with an axe, the game is badly designed" and stuff like that, It is just that they have hard fights or fights that need some trick or strategy or simply you have to come back later with more equipment, a different party or more levels.

Well - of course, you don't have an indefinite amount if time. So "come back later" isn't always an option. I think the term bad design is warrented in some cases. That fight in trobold is one of them.
    You do not have to come later imperatively, you can change party, tactics, etc ... you didn't say what character or party did you bring to that fight. You can even use the trick if you are allowed to...
    In the Trobold fight you can even make Tartuccio and the troll king fight each other, so you have only half of the fight ahead of you... In the same fortress, you can instakill the troll miniboss that killed Ekundayo´s family if you use daylight, without even land a hit on it
    Also, the time to complete that chapter is not as tight as you assume
    You may want to wait so you can see the second scene with Bartholomew, because if you go too fast you do not have time
    , but I think it is a matter of opinion. Maybe it is because I played several times so I´m desensitized ( the game right now is more laid-back than in beta or release so I found the game more "casual-friendly" -no offense intended, I just do not know how else I can say it-).

Sometimes you need specific characters or classes. The swarms can be pretty annoying... unless you have a kineticist. The undead can be tough, not much if you bring a cleric...

• DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    On a separate topic - has anyone gone full evil in the game? Was it a satisfying play through?

I want to try a neutral evil Nccromance/Cleric/Mystic Theurge type character. My only worry is that with the way the companions line up, especially in the end, if it will be too much of a hassle.

Ya, a lot of the companion quests need the good option in order for them to survive. Jaethal's obviously the exception to that.
    edited July 2019
    You can RP a character who´s a jerk with everybody besides his/her party members (you have plenty of oportunities to do so). Or you can always beat the game with a party of mercenaries ( if you are into that kind of thing).
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    edited July 2019
    On a separate topic - has anyone gone full evil in the game? Was it a satisfying play through?

I want to try a neutral evil Nccromance/Cleric/Mystic Theurge type character. My only worry is that with the way the companions line up, especially in the end, if it will be too much of a hassle.

No. The evil run is the most unique. You can even recruit an boss that i will not spoil and solve sidequests like dealing with lizardfolk in a unique way. About companions, since i played with a small party, i cant awnser but considering that the evil run isnt bad designed on questing, i believe that will be good designed on companions.

Ps sorcerer summon monsters as an evil caster allow you to summon cooler monsters.
    Ya, evil's still fun. I did lawful evil in my no reload run. You've just got to be careful with the companion quests and some of the kingdom choices. I justified the decisions with the kingdom by deciding I'm playing it as a populist.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    For some reason I'm unable to play evil on any RPG. It just doesn't feel right. But you guys are making it sound fun :)
    Yes, my alignment switched on the last chapters but i really miss the option to animate Thanadaemon and Soul Eaters(not sure if was the name of the creatures). I just started to feel so attached to my charname that i was acting like i would act considering the options and it switched my alignment. From LE to CG and it took more than 35 hours(not sure).

Anyway, Pathfinder Kingmaker is the closest modern RPG to an pnp experience, but still offers much less freedom than pnp. For example, if Fey are attacking your kingdom, on pnp you can improvise. If you are playing as an NE warlock(male Witch on pathfinder), you can say that you will create an "cold iron" cage trap and torture the fey until they promises to be your slaves 3 times(fey can't break an promises made 3 times) and enslaving then to be your "consorts" or sell then on the slave market. Can be an druid in your party that will be pissed off hard since he will be convinced by the fey that the fey was just protecting the nature and an LG Paladin in a moral dilemma, since this is clearly evil, but you are in a land where slavery is legal and fey technically aren't protected by the human law. This situation can happens naturally on pnp(if the DM allow), but would only happens in a scripted way in a cRPG. Maybe in future with advancements in IA, this can be possible, but i doubt.

To have an better example, see the Trial on NWN2, the trial dialog makes perfectly sense if your char is LG of any martial class. But an Sorcerer could solve the problem by "N" different ways. And an Warlock, could solve the problem easily too....
  • BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659
    Okay. Follow-up question on the evil character front:

Is there a difference between pushing my companions to be evil during their quests vs just not doing the companion side quests?
    For example. Harrin. Clearly at the House at the End of Time he will either be killed or will survive to rejoin the party. Advising him towards being good and helping others seems to have kept him alive in my game. I assume if I didnt do any of his quests, he would just die.

Would he still die if I push him to be evil during those quests?
    Okay. Follow-up question on the evil character front:

Is there a difference between pushing my companions to be evil during their quests vs just not doing the companion side quests?
    For example. Harrin. Clearly at the House at the End of Time he will either be killed or will survive to rejoin the party. Advising him towards being good and helping others seems to have kept him alive in my game. I assume if I didnt do any of his quests, he would just die.

Would he still die if I push him to be evil during those quests?
    It varies from companion to companion.
    In Harrim's case, he'll survive, so long as you actually complete all the questline with the dwarves and golems. If you go the evil route with Reg or Octavia, one of them will die. There's a couple evil ways Jaethal's quest can play out and have her live with the evil path. If Nilak dies at any point, you'll fail Amiri's quest and lose her. In the early versions of the game if you pushed Ekun down the path of vengeance, he'd die, but my last run he lived. I've heard Val survives no matter what, but can't confirm. Nok-Nok can live if you complete his quest, either way, even if you keep the shrines of Lamashtu. I'm not sure how Jubilost's quest plays out if you don't save that first crazy gnome.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Ya, Octavia and Reg's romance was seriously bugged in early versions of the game. It was possible to get the game completely stuck and crash when trying to leave the capital before they fixed it. I do remember Tristian's quest not working right early on, too. So he'd never come to you with the last portion of his quest, so even if you did everything he asked, he'd die, and you'd never know you missed the last portion of his questline. I'm curious if they changed it so you could do the baddy version of Ekun's questline, and have him live, or if it was bugged in the original version.
    Ya, Octavia and Reg's romance was seriously bugged in early versions of the game. It was possible to get the game completely stuck and crash when trying to leave the capital before they fixed it. I do remember Tristian's quest not working right early on, too. So he'd never come to you with the last portion of his quest, so even if you did everything he asked, he'd die, and you'd never know you missed the last portion of his questline. I'm curious if they changed it so you could do the baddy version of Ekun's questline, and have him live, or if it was bugged in the original version.

I don't pretend to know this for sure - but when I was doing some research on this topic, it sounds like he might live, but you HAVEto fight the misbegotten troll - which is actually a pretty tough fight.

I've read that Jubelhost will turn against you and you actually have to fight him - but it's not clear if that's evil quest outcome or if it happens only if you fail to do the quest altogether.

I/spoiler]

I don't pretend to know this for sure - but when I was doing some research on this topic, it sounds like he might live, but you HAVEto fight the misbegotten troll - which is actually a pretty tough fight.

I've read that Jubelhost will turn against you and you actually have to fight him - but it's not clear if that's evil quest outcome or if it happens only if you fail to do the quest altogether.

I/spoiler]
    Wait, which troll are you talking about? The one that killed his family in Trobold, or the one in The House At The Edge of Time? If it's the latter, I've had runs where I did all his content, but sent him down the path of vengeance, where he's decided to attack the troll at the house of the edge of time by himself and he gets killed before I can get there and help him fight the troll. I think something got changed here, since that didn't happen in my no reload run, though. I also didn't have him with me when I killed the one at Trobold that time, but he survived.
    Wait, which troll are you talking about? The one that killed his family in Trobold, or the one in The House At The Edge of Time? If it's the latter, I've had runs where I did all his content, but sent him down the path of vengeance, where he's decided to attack the troll at the house of the edge of time by himself and he gets killed before I can get there and help him fight the troll. I think something got changed here, since that didn't happen in my no reload run, though. I also didn't have him with me when I killed the one at Trobold that time, but he survived.

Yeah. The one at the House at the end of Time. This is what I read, at least. I dont recall when that post was made, so it might have been before a change to how he is resolved in the end. That post also made it sound like he had to fight the troll with Ekun and no one else, and that doesnt sound quite right.

Yeah. The one at the House at the end of Time. This is what I read, at least. I dont recall when that post was made, so it might have been before a change to how he is resolved in the end. That post also made it sound like he had to fight the troll with Ekun and no one else, and that doesnt sound quite right.

Ya, definitely have not had that happen in any of my runs, even with making different choices. It doesn't mean it's impossible, maybe I missed a different decision, but I'd take it with a grain of salt.
    edited July 2019
    Finally ending chapter 2. When the wild hunt appears(chapters later), i will try defeat then again with 3 party members(last year, i got forced to use an full party against then, could't defeat then with 3 party members no matter what i tried), but did they added an place where i can purchase freedom of movement scroll? Because i din't managed to kill then with an small party. But due this, on the final dungeon, my main char was lv 18 and some party members at lv 13... If they din't added an way to have an large supply of scroll, i will get some money and create an custom druid to replace Ekun's role, since druids can cast this absolutely necessarily spell and even without spells, they are decent(not good as Ekun) on Archery and have an tanking animal companion.

In general, assuming that i need tanks, healers. controllers, buffers and damage dealers, to play with an small party, i need to have many roles in one char. The Ekun can be damage dealer and use his animal to tank a little. My main char sorcerer, can control the battlefield, summon an undead army to tank/flank and facilitate sneak attack from ekun and my alchemist can serve to buff, to dispel, to damage and pick locks/traps. Even on camping, camping with this 3 party members ins't an "save scum fest"...

(edited by myself due the fact that i don't wanna start an "flame war")
    Post edited by SorcererV1ct0r on
    edited July 2019
    Reviews and commentaries on release were pretty hard with the game. Mostly about bugs (To be honest there were some big ones before patches), the harsh kingdom management and the "cannot kill swarms with my axe, game is bad" thing, etc
    Also, the game was not very kind before: it was keen to punish the player´s mistakes. That makes ground for very angry reviews.

Yes, my alignment switched on the last chapters but i really miss the option to animate Thanadaemon and Soul Eaters(not sure if was the name of the creatures). I just started to feel so attached to my charname that i was acting like i would act considering the options and it switched my alignment. From LE to CG and it took more than 35 hours(not sure).

Anyway, Pathfinder Kingmaker is the closest modern RPG to an pnp experience, but still offers much less freedom than pnp. For example, if Fey are attacking your kingdom, on pnp you can improvise. If you are playing as an NE warlock(male Witch on pathfinder), you can say that you will create an "cold iron" cage trap and torture the fey until they promises to be your slaves 3 times(fey can't break an promises made 3 times) and enslaving then to be your "consorts" or sell then on the slave market. Can be an druid in your party that will be pissed off hard since he will be convinced by the fey that the fey was just protecting the nature and an LG Paladin in a moral dilemma, since this is clearly evil, but you are in a land where slavery is legal and fey technically aren't protected by the human law. This situation can happens naturally on pnp(if the DM allow), but would only happens in a scripted way in a cRPG. Maybe in future with advancements in IA, this can be possible, but i doubt.

To have an better example, see the Trial on NWN2, the trial dialog makes perfectly sense if your char is LG of any martial class. But an Sorcerer could solve the problem by "N" different ways. And an Warlock, could solve the problem easily too....

In Pathfinder they forfeit class unique dialogues almost entirely, no doubt because of time and budget limits (you have too many classes and you can choose different classes on levelup, unlike in other games based on 2e).
    edited July 2019
    Yes, JuliusBoriarsov, you are right. There are no enemies there. Only because an game that i don't like is being developed, doesn't means that an game that i like will not be developed. Some people only like P:K(I), some like both and some only like DOS2.

The unique think that i disagree is that the interview on changes of pnp for gaming. In fact, IMO due the change on rules, P:K sneak attack is now broken and ridiculous OP. Just my opinion. About BG3, IMO is hard to create an game that pleases both fans, because imagine an medusa that can insta petrify you on a failed save. You can see people more used to save mechanics from classic games loving it and thinking that make the combat more thrilling and interesting and some more used to modern games demanding some type of magical armor like mechanic because found it frustrating. The unique way to please Greeks and Trojans is if they make this alterations(like removing saves / missing and SR and substituting by "armor") optional. (please Greeks and Trojan is an Portuguese proverb, doesn't fit well in English but you got the idea). PoE 2 implemented an Turn based combat with rule changes for it. Arquebus and other firearms that i barely used on RtWP become amazing on turn based due the fact that it only impacts "initiative"

edit : I realized that my comment can lead to an "bad" discussion and off topic, so i edited and removed. Maintaining only the "useful" part of my post.
    In Pathfinder they forfeit class unique dialogues almost entirely, no doubt because of time and budget limits (you have too many classes and you can choose different classes on levelup, unlike in other games based on 2e).

Yes, but you can for eg, if the charname has an level on an arcane class, he can say "X", if he has at least lv 5 on an non druid divine class, he can say "Y", even with the multi classing, is possible to create class based dialogs. But i agree, alignment is the best one. And is much harder to do that on pathfinder.
    edited July 2019
    AAA gaming companies are not interested in western-style classic RPG, dungeon crawlers and tabletop conversions. As @JuliusBorisov pointed, It is better if the fans of the few ones that make this kind of games with a minimum of quality do not fight each other or soon we will have only "Anthem destinies 2: modern warfare battlefront cooperative online" games to play. (Nothing wrong with them, If you like that type of games) We had a long journey in the desert and now it seems we have a new golden age of western-style CRPGs.

Yes, but you can for eg, if the charname has an level on an arcane class, he can say "X", if he has at least lv 5 on an non druid divine class, he can say "Y", even with the multi classing, is possible to create class based dialogs. But i agree, alignment is the best one. And is much harder to do that on pathfinder.

Yes, I agree. In IWD2 you have unique dialogs for many classes only if you have a number of levels in that class (IWD2 uses 3.5e) I would ´ve liked to see that in P:K too, I just have to say that they left class unique dialogues out because of time and budget limits (There are too many classes.They have a few "race and deity" and a lot "alignment"). The Owlcat devs are hardcore fans of the tabletop, If they do not allow that it is not because they didn´t want to do it, trust me.

ED: BTW, I am one of those fans of both DoS and P:K games. Or witcher games. IE games, Warhammer games, Jrpgs, ... I do not think you really have to choose, neither you have to be forced to like them all. Free will and speech and all that. Unless you are talking about regueton and/or tortilla with onions. That's a NO.
    Post edited by PsicoVic on
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited July 2019
    I didn't like the mechanics of PoE or D:OS I can't even say if I liked the story or not because I didn't go far in either game. It doesn't mean they are terrible games just that I didn't like their mechanics.

There are too few studios working on western CRPGS not to support them.
    Post edited by mlnevese on
    mlnevese wrote: »
    I didn't like the mechanics of PoE or D:OS I can't even say if I liked the story or not because I didn't go far in either game. It doesn't mean they are terrible games just that I didn't like their mechanics.

There are too few studios working on wester CRPGS not to support them.

There's a lot of mechanics decisions in the PoE games I don't care for, but the second one got a much more interesting story and added multiclassing. There's still mechanics decisions I don't care for, but the second one was a lot more fun and interesting for me than the first. I liked Tyranny's mechanics and story a lot better, though.

The situation for D:OS is similar for me, the first one is the only game I've rage quit as an adult. It started feeling like every single fight was this long drug out slog. So after completing one crazy long fight, I fought a snow monster for like an hour, chasing it all over the map. After it managed to get away from me, I broke combat, revived my rogue, and when I found the thing again, it was back to full health. After that, I was done with the game. I'm really glad I gave the second one a shot, though. Most of the fights resolve a lot faster (they reach that tipping point where it goes for against faster), and the ones that do go on long, are unique, interesting and justifiably long. The characters are way more interesting, too.

I definitely prefer Kingmaker, and it's now one of my top games of all time, but really dug D:OS2 and wasteland 2. I generally prefer RTWP, but a good turn based game can be fun, too.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,727
    edited July 2019
    @DrHappyAngry AHHH! The snow monster. In one of the previous encounters (before approaching it) you could find a wand which one-shots that beast. That is the only type of monster in the game which has high Damage Reduction and resistances, and the wand is unique. I think there're 2 such monsters in that region.

Maybe the snow area seemed to you that way because you came there straight after the first map and finding the Icara's cabin. I opted to adventure in Luculla Forest first and didn't experience similar results.

But anyway, D:OS 2 is a better game, the developers themselves admitted that, so there's nothing bad in liking the second part more (and maybe much more).
    @DrHappyAngry AHHH! The snow monster. In one of the previous encounters (before approaching it) you could find a wand which one-shots that beast. That is the only type of monster in the game which has high Damage Reduction and resistances, and the wand is unique. I think there're 2 such monsters in that region.

Maybe the snow area seemed to you that way because you came there straight after the first map and finding the Icara's cabin. I opted to adventure in Luculla Forest first and didn't experience similar results.

But anyway, D:OS 2 is a better game, the developers themselves admitted that, so there's nothing bad in liking the second part more (and maybe much more).

Figures, I still don't feel terrible about quitting, since I was getting sick of every fight dragging on, forever. I may go back one day, since I've got a better handle on the mechanics from finishing the second one, though.
    edited July 2019
    AAA gaming companies are not interested in western-style classic RPG, dungeon crawlers and tabletop conversions. As JuliusBorisov pointed, It is better if the fans of the few ones that make this kind of games with a minimum of quality do not fight each other or soon we will have only "Anthem destinies 2: modern warfare battlefront cooperative online" games to play. (Nothing wrong with them, If you like that type of games) We had a long journey in the desert and now it seems we have a new golden age of western-style CRPGs.

Yes, you are right. Despite the fact that i din't liked DOS2, i din't write an negative review exactly because i respect the hard work. I got exalted by some comments about P:K, but lets be honest. Pathfinder Kingmaker DID sold well

CoD WWII 1,536 playing an hour ago 1,536 24-hour peak https://steamcharts.com/app/476620
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker 3,288 playing an hour ago 3,729 24-hour peak https://steamcharts.com/app/640820

disclaimer > The number of active players can change depending the time that you are reading this message(Friday - 19 July - 2019)

For an small Russian studio with almost zero marketing budget and game journalists "i can't use an axe against an insect swarm on a side quest" criticizing the game, not mention the bugfest that was during the launch to have the double amount of active players than a AAA cinematic multiplayer shooter and arguably one of the most famous gaming IP's in the world, is not an small accomplishment. Sure, Larian got more success and it is good for both. This is not an war, there are few companies making CRPG's. Not mentioning, Larian can be an gateway to more classic CRPG's, even in BG3 fails(not saying that will fail, is just an possibility), a lot of people will probably purchase PfK, NWN1, BG1/2 and other similar games, even if is just by curiosity to see how BG2 was different. An colleague was asking me about BG1/2 and will probably purchase.

BTW, I am one of those fans of both DoS and P:K games. Or witcher games. IE games, Warhammer games, Jrpgs, ..

I honestly don't like JRPG's because while on P:K for eg, i can be anything from 16 completely different classes to choose, each one with 3 archetypes and some with a lot of "sub classes"(see how an Fey Sorcerer and an Undead Sorcerer are different), of 9 different alignments, and 9 races, including two with dozens of sub races(aasimar/tiefling), on most JRPG's, i an forced to be an human, teenager and use an sword.

I can't even choose to use an spear or an warhammer. The games from Japan that i like are like Dragon's Dogma and Dark Souls and no, i din't liked Sekiro by it. You fight enemies that use Arquebus, bows, naginata, but you can't use this cool weapons.

And note that is not only because i criticize an point in a game that i hate the game. Only because i think that sneak attack and the range for spells should be more pnp-like on pathfinder kingmaker, doesn't means that i will hate and organize an reviewbomb. Is my favorite modern game. Nothing is perfect in this world.
    Wow the game runs decently on my new laptop, a Dell XPS 13 on Ubuntu 19.04. Surprising how far the onboard Intel graphics have come. I'm pretty spoiled by my desktop, to the point that 1080p seems grainy and the load times are more than double, but actually runs alright.

So I went back to an earlier save and thought I'd share the build, since it's one of the easier ones to play, and I'd definitely say it'd be a great beginner build.

Angel-Kin Aasimar, Paladin 2 -> Inquisitor, Shelyn as my deity with the protection domain for Inquisitor. 16/10/10/7/16/16. I'm only level 10 but for feats I did skill focus persuasion, skill focus perception, power attack, cornugon smash and persuasive. I also picked up Outflank and Precise Strike for my Inquisitor teamwork feats. I'll probably pick up weapon proficiency fauchard, since those get sweet in the latter half of the game. I heavily lean on divine shield, heroism and effortless armor and have them up at all times, plus shield spell cast by Jubilost. The saving throws are just stupid. I've got like 14 reflex save, and that's as good as Ekun and Octavia have at this point, and that's my weakest save, fortitude and will are 24+. I mixed in a couple Paladin levels for the high saves and to get heavy armor and martial weapons proficiencies, plus adding charisma to saves. The protection domain gives another big bonus to saves. I generally use a glaive and stay behind Val and Ekun's dog, but situationally use 2 handed weapons that are good against the enemies I fight, like great axes. For skilles max out persuasion and perception, then get 3 points in mobility (for the +1 ac when fighting defensively) and you can put any remaining points into athletics or whatever. I'll probably pick up cleave, cleaving finish and combat casting later, but combat casting's a low priority since I don't cast in combat much.

It's got some magic, which you mainly want for buffs. The saves are stupid high, with Paladin bonuses plus protection domain, so you'll almost always make your save. Once you have Cornugon smash at level 7 you want to always power attack, since any enemy you hit will be shaken and take a -2 to most actions. All the skill focuses on persuasion let you pass all the persuasion checks, plus they guarantee you'll intimidate every enemy on a power attack hit. You also get to add half your inquisitor levels to your intimidate check. The buffs to perception mean you'll never miss anything that's hidden.
    edited July 2019
    For Linux users. Two questions

1 - Where are my saves stored on Linux?

2 - If the game runs relative well but crashes a lot after a couple of minutes, running with Wine can solve this problem?

I an having the same problem of this guy

"Simply put, the game hard locks my system after a few minutes of playing. Not just a game crash, but locks up the whole system. I can't even get to a tty console." https://steamcommunity.com/app/640820/discussions/0/1642041106363903449/
    edit : .config/unity3d/Owlcat Games/Pathfinder Kingmaker/Saved Games/ i found the save

edit 2 : What version of wine should i use on POL?
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited July 2019
    1. This varies greatly of how you've installed the game. My save files and portraits for instance are stored in:
    /home/[ your userprofile ]/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/Pathfinder/drive_c/users/[ your userprofile ]/AppData/LocalLow/Owlcat Games/Pathfinder Kingmaker. I'm using the GOG release here. So it naturally should look a bit different if you've bought it from steam instead.

The native Linux build should be either /usr/share/unity or somewhere around /home/[ your userprofile ]/.config/unity3d. Been a while since I installed GOG's Linux version, so chances are either one is false.

2. I made good experience running Pathfinder: Kingmaker via the 4.7-staging release of Wine. Hadn't to configurate Wine at all to run a smooth game. Enabling CSMT was probably the only thing I made sure. Note that having large amounts of custom portraits can significally drop your FPS rate.

Also: Whenever a game or program hangs up, I simply use the CTRL+LEFT ALT+DOWN ARROW key combination. Helps on most occassions for me.
    edited July 2019
    Thanks. Updated the POL and i an now installing the 4.7-staging, i liked so much this game that was the unique game that i ever pre ordered. I pre ordered on steam instead of gog, due the best linux support... Anyway, one problem of POL, is that i get no achievements, nor can't take screenshot, at least with 3.6e(version where i have most of my games), but i an installing the game at moment. If works i will do the endless dungeon DLC with Witch mod.

One thing is funny. Steam thinks that i an using the M$ Win XP version

(no spoiler, just an big screenshot to not pollute the topic)
    4g0CYvx.png

But other people are having the same issue and most of then had better computers than mine, an steam topic >
    Simply put, the game hard locks my system after a few minutes of playing. Not just a game crash, but locks up the whole system. I can't even get to a tty console. I don't have many problems with other games (including Proton supported games), though I don't run a whole lot of Unity games. System specs follow:
    https://steamcommunity.com/app/640820/discussions/0/1642041106363903449/

Despite being an dated computer, i can run warthunder and i an relative close(not so much) to get Me 262. If i can't run, i will install NWN2 and do another run...
    Did you look at any of the log files to see if something might've gotten logged about the crash? You might also be able to SSH in while it's stuck, if you've got another box or have ssh client on your phone. If you're using onboard Intel graphics, it might be worth looking at installing a more up to date mesa, if your distro supports it, like from a ppa for Ubuntu.