Skip to content

Why Not Do A New Infinity Engine Game?

That's My Question To Beamdog. I know NWNEE has just been released and Everyone at Beamdog is working on making it Better with new patches ect.... But there are lots and lots of People Like myself who still Enjoy and play the Infinity Engine Games.I understand it has to be something People would want to play and buy, And the Engine is Old and very difficult to work with ect..... I heard all these arguments but I Still believe if Beamdog ever decided to do a BG3 or IWD3 Infinity Engine it would be a HUGE Success!!!!! Or better still A completely New Forgotten Realms D&D adventure.Trent The Fans of the Infinity Engine Games deserve a Brand New Game.

Comments

• loudentloudent Member Posts: 38
    edited April 2018
    thrudd said:

I Still believe if Beamdog ever decided to do a BG3 or IWD3 Infinity Engine it would be a HUGE Success!!!!!

@thrudd
    They did, it's called "Siege of Dragonspear". I'm not sure "HUGE Success" would describe the reception.

• Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,174
    The Infinity Engine runs on my old laptop. It is ontologically superior to all more recent engines that will not run on my laptop ;).
  • gugulug5000gugulug5000 Member Posts: 248
    I'm part of the group that really wants new IE stuff. While a new game would be nice, I'd be okay with expansions or DLCs even. The DLCs wouldn't even need to be large ones. For example if they sold the Dragonspear NPCs individually or in a bundle as small DLCs for BGII, I'd be all over that.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    The issue is the DnD rules that is incorporated into the IE. I understood that Beamdog can only make new games if they adhere to the newer 5th edition rules. SoD was made possible for IE because it was made as an expansion pack.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Because there are better options available
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    the ie is hard to work with. they may as well ask obsidian if they could use the piller's engine.
  • MateoFrozenMateoFrozen Member Posts: 82
    @megamike15
    Well it's been some time(3 years) and no mods that you could compare to those averange or forgoten from IE, so no.
  • Contemplative_HamsterContemplative_Hamster Member Posts: 844
    Cheers. Not my best work, but the Muse of Inspiration was accosted by the Kid of Distraction.
  • thruddthrudd Member Posts: 96
    This is pretty Funny ,Basically all of the Reasons I'm getting is based on Laziness..... Its Easier to do this do that ect...... I Guess go with what is Easier to do.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Yeah, what's up with people choosing the right took for the job. They must be lazy. I just ride my bike across the Atlantic for a vacation. Flying is LAZY.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    edited April 2018
    i think a new IE game is possible, but the graphics part of the engine would need to be overhauled (bigger sprites mainly). i have a feeling that the current iteration engine is reusable, being ported to all platforms etc. it shouldn't be hard to do a minimally faithful implementation of 5e in IE, that passes the test so to speak. what matters is it being formally deserving of a 5e title, it doesn't have to be 100% conforming to the actual rules, just like bg didn't fully conform to the rules at the time

ps:t sets a precedent for bigger sprites
    4x size of ps:t sprites is enough for the current era. not a big deal technically i think.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Basically, ANY modern engine would be able to do more than the IE, and be more stable and have FAR less bugs. Its not laziness. Its putting away your scissors for a lawnmower.
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    Gotta' love the folks who're still bitter we replaced whale blubber lamps with electricity. :)
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Okay, let's not gang up on anybody here. Just a reminder.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147

Does anyone ever play through the games and find things working/behaving exactly the same way?

I don't, a fight that goes well one playthrough can be an unmitigated disaster the next.
    I presume that's down to the dice rolls and maybe "the bugs" or quirks of the engine?

An NPC says something one playthrough, next for some reason (again bugs/quirks?) dialog isn't triggered.

Sometimes you get ambushed, sometimes you don't. Sometimes you get a large group attacking, sometimes small.
    Those interested in these things know why, likely the majority don't.

The list of odd, unexpected things coupled with most players inability to remember exactly what they do or did every playthrough makes the games endlessly complex and it holds your interest.

Beamdog seems (only IMO) to want to iron everything out, make everything uniform, always work correctly, always trigger what should be triggered, always easier, always more convenient.
    I can understand why, it makes a lot of sense.

What they miss, and likely any new game developed will miss as well, is that humans don't find things that work exactly as they should that interesting.

The more we know, the more everything works, the less satisfying things are to beat the odds.

The naivity behind what created BG cannot be replicated.

• bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    ThacoBell said:

Basically, ANY modern engine would be able to do more than the IE, and be more stable and have FAR less bugs. Its not laziness. Its putting away your scissors for a lawnmower.

i'm not sure that IE is so hard to work with at this point, so why even bother creating a new engine / adapting to a new one? IE is really good at 2d graphics with prerendered backgrounds and games with that kind of presentation haven't been doong badly for a while. it also works on all platforms and that's a big deal
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    bob_veng said:

ThacoBell said:

i'm not sure that IE is so hard to work with at this point, so why even bother creating a new engine / adapting to a new one? IE is really good at 2d graphics with prerendered backgrounds and games with that kind of presentation haven't been doong badly for a while. it also works on all platforms and that's a big deal
    Well, the devs who work on it professionally have said more than once that its incredibly difficult to work with.
    Modders are also intimately aware of the limitations of the game engine. There are only a few hundred opcodes with very limited parameters, scripts trigger at weird times, lots of things are never counted and therefore there are variables that can never be used, collision is wonky and inflexible, and there are lots of stats that do not exist and cannot be modded into the game without relying on global variables.
  • ZilberZilber Member Posts: 253
    thrudd said:

This is pretty Funny ,Basically all of the Reasons I'm getting is based on Laziness..... Its Easier to do this do that ect...... I Guess go with what is Easier to do.

It's a company. "Easier to do" can mean the difference between "Sure, we'll have it done by the end of the year" and "If we tried this, we have an equal chance of getting the buggy alpha out before we are out of business or not".

Do you have any idea how far to the ground the engine needs to be broken down before you can build it up again using 5E? Because you're not getting a 2E licence anymore (and just as well, it was awful).
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    Let's just program with our toes while we're at it. So long as we're going out of our way to do things the hard way.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    thrudd said:

Let me guess: political science major?
    edited April 2018
    tbone1 said:

thrudd said:

Let me guess: political science major?

No, no, let's do this the hard way.
    Insults are against the Site Rules. Cut it out.
    No insult intended. Just adding to the point of view that there are easy and hard paths to choose between.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985

Insults are against the Site Rules. Cut it out.

You’re right, I should never insult anyone by insinuating they are involved politics. Drug running, pimping, and being a flat earther, sure. But politics is going too far.

• mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    I love the infinity engine games. Absolutely adore them. Love IWD, BG, all of them (though I have yet to play PST).

The only reason we’re here now, though, is because of Wesley Wiemer (the guy who made WieDU). The engine is very difficult to work with. Apparently the legend-guy is a genius and somehow found a way to mod a mostly hardcoded engine without the source code. That IWD2EE probably won’t be made because we can’t find the source code should tell you how smart this guy is.

I’d like the next engine to be an isometric real-time with pause, hand drawn art (not tile based) D&D legend that last for another 20 years. In order for that to happen, though, it’s going to need to be a little easier to work with.