Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition has been released! Visit nwn.beamdog.com to make an order. NWN:EE FAQ is available.
Soundtracks for BG:EE, SoD, BG2:EE, IWD:EE, PST:EE are now available in the Beamdog store.
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Jalantha Mistmyrs book of wisdom

Is it possible to pick pocket the book from her once one has given it to her?
I don't have a saved game in the city, to test it out.

Comments

• MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 2,554
    edited May 17
    I just tried with a halfing thief who has a dexterity of 19 and a 210 in pick pockets but I keep getting the message that "the target has no items which may be stolen by a cut-purse of your skill", even after multiple attempts. I am going to have to respectfully disagree with @ThacoBell. We even got ridiculous with it, bumping her dexterity to 24 and her effective skill to 260 and *still* couldn't pilfer the book.

ThacoBellAedanQuartz
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 7,626
    @Mathsorcerer Are you playing the beta by chance? Maybe they changed it? I always resolve that quest by stealing what I need by the priestess.

*EDIT*

*Sees one comment down* Oh, that might be it. I get the tome and then steal the scroll. Whoops.

• MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 2,554
    Not the beta; using 2.3.67.3. The thing is, though, that my test thief *should* have been able to steal the book back, unless I am misreading the sltsteal.2da file. Jalantha has a sphene gem, the body, and the scroll in her "quick item" locations; I do not know where the book goes when you give it to her, presumably the first inventory location (actually, in testing, I discovered that it goes in the *last* inventory location).

I tried using a script to force Jalantha to XEuip the book into the first "quick item" location--that worked--but the thief still couldn't lift the book, despite having a skill of 175, even though she stole the gem which was previously in that position.

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 16,510
    edited May 17
    I recommend to file a bug report on support.baldursgate.com so that the team could triage.

Loldrup
  • LoldrupLoldrup Member Posts: 258

I recommend to file a bug report on support.baldursgate.com so that the team could triage.

Done
    https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/37241

• kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 1,413
    "TakePartyItem()" flags the items it takes as "unstealable", normal behavior AFAIK.

SomeSort
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,772
    Another option (although it sounds like it's too late in this case) is to pick the option that you don't trust her and for Jalantha to give the scroll before you give the book. Then when you make the excuse that you don't have it (even though you do), you'll end up slaughtering all of them however. But given their patron isn't exactly saintly, and you lose no rep for it ...

*Shrug*

It's what I've always done.

ThacoBellbleusteel
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 504
    Notably, depending on how you handled an earlier quest, Tenya will be among the priestesses you slaughter there. So taking that option does possibly make you a child murderer.

ThacoBellLoldrup
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,772
    edited May 19

Notably, depending on how you handled an earlier quest, Tenya will be among the priestesses you slaughter there. So taking that option does possibly make you a child murderer.

Disagree. Just this week I played through this quest line by helping Tenya, having Tenya give me the kid's body (different quest), at which point she walked off and disappeared... I proceeded with the Geas/Book of Wisdom questline and slaughtered all the priestesses and Tenya was not there at all.

You also have to ask the door greeter for Tenya for her to even spawn into the area.

Aerakarthespace