Skip to content

Jalantha Mistmyrs book of wisdom

Is it possible to pick pocket the book from her once one has given it to her?
I don't have a saved game in the city, to test it out.

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Yes.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    edited May 2018
    I just tried with a halfing thief who has a dexterity of 19 and a 210 in pick pockets but I keep getting the message that "the target has no items which may be stolen by a cut-purse of your skill", even after multiple attempts. I am going to have to respectfully disagree with @ThacoBell. We even got ridiculous with it, bumping her dexterity to 24 and her effective skill to 260 and *still* couldn't pilfer the book.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @Mathsorcerer Are you playing the beta by chance? Maybe they changed it? I always resolve that quest by stealing what I need by the priestess.

*EDIT*

*Sees one comment down* Oh, that might be it. I get the tome and then steal the scroll. Whoops.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    Not the beta; using 2.3.67.3. The thing is, though, that my test thief *should* have been able to steal the book back, unless I am misreading the sltsteal.2da file. Jalantha has a sphene gem, the body, and the scroll in her "quick item" locations; I do not know where the book goes when you give it to her, presumably the first inventory location (actually, in testing, I discovered that it goes in the *last* inventory location).

I tried using a script to force Jalantha to XEuip the book into the first "quick item" location--that worked--but the thief still couldn't lift the book, despite having a skill of 175, even though she stole the gem which was previously in that position.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    edited May 2018
    I recommend to file a bug report on support.baldursgate.com so that the team could triage.
  • LoldrupLoldrup Member Posts: 291

I recommend to file a bug report on support.baldursgate.com so that the team could triage.

Done
    https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/37241
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    "TakePartyItem()" flags the items it takes as "unstealable", normal behavior AFAIK.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Another option (although it sounds like it's too late in this case) is to pick the option that you don't trust her and for Jalantha to give the scroll before you give the book. Then when you make the excuse that you don't have it (even though you do), you'll end up slaughtering all of them however. But given their patron isn't exactly saintly, and you lose no rep for it ...

*Shrug*

It's what I've always done.
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    Notably, depending on how you handled an earlier quest, Tenya will be among the priestesses you slaughter there. So taking that option does possibly make you a child murderer.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited May 2018

Notably, depending on how you handled an earlier quest, Tenya will be among the priestesses you slaughter there. So taking that option does possibly make you a child murderer.

Disagree. Just this week I played through this quest line by helping Tenya, having Tenya give me the kid's body (different quest), at which point she walked off and disappeared... I proceeded with the Geas/Book of Wisdom questline and slaughtered all the priestesses and Tenya was not there at all.

You also have to ask the door greeter for Tenya for her to even spawn into the area.
  • mddziadekmddziadek Member Posts: 1
    I'm not 100% sure (a loot of mods installed) but when Mystmyr demand Book of wisdom from Lady Hall it is possible to ask twice about doubt that Umbrele need somthing from other temple and after that agree quest. After that when I try to give Mystmyr the book, she agree that Umberle do not need Tymora support ant do not take book and give us geas.
  • DhariusDharius Member Posts: 654
    edited July 2023
    I doubt that you can pickpocket the book once it has been handed over...IIRC in BG/BG2 no quest items can be pickpocketed once handed to their intended recipient.

This is partly to prevent you completing the quest multiple times.
    Post edited by Dharius on
  • TrouveurTrouveur Member Posts: 497
    mddziadek wrote: »
    I'm not 100% sure (a loot of mods installed) but when Mystmyr demand Book of wisdom from Lady Hall it is possible to ask twice about doubt that Umbrele need somthing from other temple and after that agree quest. After that when I try to give Mystmyr the book, she agree that Umberle do not need Tymora support ant do not take book and give us geas.
    It's from a mod indeed.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    edited July 2023
    In fact, it's a game mechanic. Any item that's handed over through a GiveItem or TakePartyItem action - as any sort of "return through dialogue" will be - gains the "can't be stolen" flag.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,151
    Reading through this it just struck me as funny to be discussing stealing or killing for a *Book of Wisdom*!

I think it should disappear in a puff of irony…
  • DhariusDharius Member Posts: 654
    edited July 2023
    Ah but wisdom and morality are very different things...;) Just ask Viconia!
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,151
    edited July 2023
    Shouldn't be.

Way back, I first started gaming in "Gamma World". It was mechanically similar to D&D; same six scores. Except, instead of "Wisdom" they called it "Mental Strength". That always struck me as a far better fit. I have always disliked the idea of "Wisdom" for evil characters. That's an oxymoron, except for the most banal, worldly sense of the word. Maybe "Common Sense" might be a better term. But, obviously, this is what we've been stuck with for 45 years...
  • agentOO0agentOO0 Member Posts: 34
    I always just kill her - no rep loss. I need to get the child from her anyway (Tremain's Son) for one of the quests, the one that nets you a really good magical shield (Shield of the Falling Stars) - I assume you'll get the book back that way.

That said, I normally do it by insisting that she give me the scroll first, then I laugh at her and refuse to hand over the book, she turns hostile and I kill her and all the other priests. Then I return the son to Tremain (there's a timer so do it quickly). I use the book or save it for SoD, then I take the scroll to Lathlander to get Marek's location, but before he has time to run away I kill him too for his speed boots. You can charm him with Algernon's cloak before you talk to him and give him the scroll; that way he won't run, or you can just be really quick at dealing damage to him (I usually Haste my party before the encounter, and then try to land Command and Wands of Paralysis hits on him to slow him down).
  • SixOfSpadesSixOfSpades Member Posts: 44
    agentOO0 wrote: »
    I always just kill her - no rep loss. I need to get the child from her anyway (Tremain's Son) for one of the quests . . .
    I usually kill her as well, but on my last game I encountered a bug:

When I went to the Temple of Tymora to get the book, I did so without ever coming in view of Varci Roaringhorn. I continued the Poisoned quest normally, through killing Mistmyr & collecting her Child's Body, but when I carried it back to BG West to speed through the shield quest--no Varci. The game seemed to have a check that deletes Varci, to prevent him from starting his quest, if it's already in progress. I used the CLUAConsole to add Varci back in, but the game instantly removed him again. I had to go inside Tremain's house, and CLUA him in there, to make the quest progress normally.