Skip to content

Star Wars Holiday Special

tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
Holy cow, someone put a copy of this on youtube! Even the folks from Mystery Science Theatre 3000 couldn't help this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJDAmBQ1u2g

Comments

• jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    This is mostly just proof that Star Wars has ALWAYS been an overt commercial enterprise above all other concerns. This seems like the exact type of thing you'd want to put on TV in the late-70s or early-80s to sell toys and lunchboxes.
  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905
    The Star Wars Holiday Special is - in its own way - one of the great films of all time. I just wish there was a director's cut out there somewhere in which the opening scene of wookie dialogue was extended. That scene just did not go on long enough. And more Bea Arthur, please!

Thanks for posting this classic, @tbone1. Happy Life Day, buddy.

Oh, and isn't YouTube freaking amazing? Many years ago we used to have bad movie parties, and getting a copy of this treasure was like getting your hands on the spice melange from Dune.

• jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited June 2018
    I can't believe that thing hasn't been taken down yet.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811

This is mostly just proof that Star Wars has ALWAYS been an overt commercial enterprise above all other concerns. This seems like the exact type of thing you'd want to put on TV in the late-70s or early-80s to sell toys and lunchboxes.

There is a new(ish) Netflix documentary called "The Toys that Made Us" and they pretty much confirm this. However, the first movie has always been considered a hail mary and people were flabbergasted that it actually had the success that it did. Movie Toys back then never did as well as T.V. toys due to the limited time a movie had a shelf life. Add in the fact that Lucas wouldn't let anyone work on the toys till about 6 months prior to the movie being finished made every toy company but one steer clear of the project. That one, Kenner negotiated a life time contract with insanely beneficial terms but Kenner was also late out of the gate, not releasing any toys till like June 1978 because of Lucas's secrecy.

Boba Fett's appearance in this special was designed to sell his action figure prior to the release of the second movie with a mail in order coinciding with the special. He was suppose to have a rocket launcher on his back that actually fired a missile. However, the toy shipped without the firing missile because some Darwin award recipient choked to death on a similar toy.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037

I can't believe that thing hasn't been taken down yet.

Free publicity is still free publicity.
    deltago said:

There is a new(ish) Netflix documentary called "The Toys that Made Us" and they pretty much confirm this.

That is a great docuseries and everyone should watch it at the earliest opportunity. Season 2 came out not long ago and we already binged them all.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Some of use are old enough to be shocked anyone considers this a revelation.
  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719
    Oh man, I've been meaning to watch this for a very long time.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Dev6 said:

Oh man, I've been meaning to watch this for a very long time.

Watch it with someone to preserve your sanity. Large stretches of it are the kind of bad that is boring to watch.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    Honestly, I felt myself getting stupider watching that thing. One more viewing and I'll have to get a job as a pundit.

Seriously, how did this constantly get green-lighted, and how do people watch this and not think money and drugs are a bad combination?
  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905
    You guys are all so cynical (sigh). Next you're going to be saying that Ewoks were designed with marketability in mind...
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    tbone1 said:

Honestly, I felt myself getting stupider watching that thing. One more viewing and I'll have to get a job as a pundit.

Watch it again and you can work in Trump's Cabinet!
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Is that where he keeps his skeletons?