Skip to content

Fallout 76 confirmed!?

Comments

• jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited December 2018
    ThacoBell said:

I gave up on the FF7 remake as soon as I learned it was going to be an action rpg. So, its already guaranteed to not be anything like playing the original. There were also talks at one point about it being episodic, no idea if that ever went through.

Doesn't seem to me like it is ever happening, and if it does, I imagine the download will be north of 150 GB. Final Fantasy XV is already 85 GB, and VII would have WAY more cutscenes.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I dunno, I've seen gameplay demos. Or at least "gameplay" demos.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    edited December 2018
    I can tolerate bugs, bad design decisions, etc.

My problem with Fallout 76 is that is disrespects the Fallout lore as stablished through the years.

The way they twisted the lore to make BoS and Super Mutants fit makes me sick as a huge fan of the franchise and made me feel very disrespected as someone who invested time reading and learning the Fallout Bible.

Bastards.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    You shouldn't tolerate bad game design either, because that would be equal to allowing companies to release badly designed games.

As for Fallout and its lore, it was evident that Bethesda disrespects it greatly even in Fallout 4. Probably in Fallout 3 as well, but back then the license was new to that company and the chance that they just had good intentions with it, but didn't know how to handle it was a possibility. Looking at it from today, it is unlikely they ever had good intentions to begin with.

Now I'll probably be falsely affiliated with certain community I had no connections with and I would never heard of said community if it wasn't for people defending Bethesda and their take on Fallout.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Here is a neutral review from someone new to the series

https://youtu.be/Ruc-4xjtNR8
    edited December 2018
    @O_Bruce When I say that I tolerate bad design is because it is a subjective thing. What is bad design to me can be awesome for someone else.

And I also believe that bad design can be part of a learning curve.

But lore? That's objective as objective can be.

Bastards.
    Post edited by Raduziel on
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    when you play rpgs for story, any retcon or lore breaking bothers you alot more then those that don't.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Any not good retcon that is.
    Raduziel said:

@O_Bruce When I say that I tolerate bad design is because it is a subjective thing. What is bad design to me can be awesome for someone else.

And I also believe that bad design can be part of a learning curve.

But lore? That's objective as objective can be.

Bastards.

@Raduziel Bad design isn't subjective. A design is bad when it fails to meet specifications or use cases or whatever. It is good when it manages to meet them. That's objective.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    https://youtu.be/C0mXyIereyI

Their Atom shop is complete bonkers! And here I thought the Creation Club stuff was already worst of the worst. Clearly I was wrong...
  • DorcusDorcus Member Posts: 270
    edited December 2018
    Raduziel said:

My problem with Fallout 76 is that is disrespects the Fallout lore as stablished through the years.

The way they twisted the lore to make BoS and Super Mutants fit makes me sick as a huge fan of the franchise and made me feel very disrespected as someone who invested time reading and learning the Fallout Bible.

Bastards.

I mean you're not wrong but it's been super obvious for a long time that all new Fallout games are going to have Super Mutants and The Brotherhood of Steel and that The Fallout Bible doesn't mean anything to Bethesda when it comes to what they consider selling points of a Fallout game

edit: sorry if this came across as rude! it's just a frustrating situation. I'm hoping we get a fresh start with The Outer Worlds but I won't be counting my chickens before they've hatched (also won't be preordering until I know there's a GOG version)
    Post edited by Dorcus on
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    Dorcus said:

Raduziel said:

Bastards.

I mean you're not wrong but it's been super obvious for a long time that all new Fallout games are going to have Super Mutants and The Brotherhood of Steel and that The Fallout Bible doesn't mean anything to Bethesda when it comes to what they consider selling points of a Fallout game

edit: sorry if this came across as rude! it's just a frustrating situation. I'm hoping we get a fresh start with The Outer Worlds but I won't be counting my chickens before they've hatched (also won't be preordering until I know there's a GOG version)
    Todd and Pete thinks the Brotherhood is the face of the Fallout series kind of like what the Adeptus Astartes are to Warhammer 40,000.
    ThacoBell said:

I gave up on the FF7 remake as soon as I learned it was going to be an action rpg. So, its already guaranteed to not be anything like playing the original. There were also talks at one point about it being episodic, no idea if that ever went through.

Never cared much about FF because theres no roleplaying. You're always a human teenager with weird clothes and hair who must save the world in a linear progression. I liked the old school titles, especially IV and VI, but FF7 ditching western fantasy settings in favor of cyberpunk and shonen shenaningas was off putting to me. Plus the lack of continuity between the games.
    @FinneousPJ Maybe we are having different views of what a design is. I'll clarify the meaning to me: removing all NPCs and making it a multiplayer game is what I call design. Someone somewhere likes it, I think it sucks.

I'm not saying that by clarifying that you're obligated to agree with me, I'm just making sure we are on the same page here.

@Dorcus No offense taken :)

@ShapiroKeatsDarkMage Power Armor may be the face of Fallout, but those guys thinking that of BoS just shows how little they comprehend the universe they are handling.

There were power armors for the Enclave, the first models used for the Army, BoS's power armors... Heck, they could have created a damn raider faction that was able to grab and reproduce some PA technology.

-----

Recently I was playing Zelda Breath of the Wild and got even more pissed with FO76. 76 could have been to Fallout what BotW is for Zelda.

Bastards.
    Raduziel said:

@FinneousPJ Maybe we are having different views of what a design is. I'll clarify the meaning to me: removing all NPCs and making it a multiplayer game is what I call design. Someone somewhere likes it, I think it sucks.

I'm not saying that by clarifying that you're obligated to agree with me, I'm just making sure we are on the same page here.

@ShapiroKeatsDarkMage Power Armor may be the face of Fallout, but those guys thinking that of BoS just shows how little they comprehend the universe they are handling.

There were power armors for the Enclave, the first models used for the Army, BoS's power armors... Heck, they could have created a damn raider faction that was able to grab and reproduce some PA technology.

-----

Recently I was playing Zelda Breath of the Wild and got even more pissed with FO76. 76 could have been to Fallout what BotW is for Zelda.

Bastards.

BotW is basically Zelda meets Elder Scrolls. It is gorgeous looking though.
    Raduziel said:

-----

Bastards.

That's a much higher level criticism than design. That's basically the fundamental concept Of the game.
    @ShapiroKeatsDarkMage I mean, you've described half the cliches in FF7, but that doesn't really play into most of the titles.

Dorcus said:

Raduziel said:

Bastards.

Todd and Pete thinks the Brotherhood is the face of the Fallout series kind of like what the Adeptus Astartes are to Warhammer 40,000.
    they may have gotten that idea because interplay was pushing that with the spin offs. in the main games the bos are just another faction heck you can ignore them altogether in 2.
    Actually @ShapiroKeatsDarkMage , have you played FF9? Its a huge love letter to the classic series. The hero is still a teenager, but without the anime hair, ridiculous zipper lined outfit, or the "emo" attitude. The setting is back to fantasy fare, and while you do end up saving the world, its kinda not the focus of the game. The whole theme of the game is centered around what it means to live, and every single characters plot arc centers around them finding their purpose in life. Its some of the best character building and interaction in the whole series. The stories' tone is also pretty unique, starting out really lighthearted but isn't afraid to dive down into surprisingly dark existential questions. Also, the whole game is LITTERED with references and easter eggs to previous titles.
    Aren't all the Bethesda Fallout games essentially spin-offs?? There really hasn't been anything that connects the two eras other than aesthetics from the beginning. The first game saved the genre along with Baldur's Gate (though only in the sense of setting and choice/consequence, as the UI and combat remain terrible). The Bethesda games are a completely different animal that are only tangentially tied to the first two at all. They simply built on the success of Oblivion and shoe-horned that game into one that had a nuclear wasteland as a setting and guns and bombs instead of swords and spells.
    ThacoBell said:

Actually @ShapiroKeatsDarkMage , have you played FF9? Its a huge love letter to the classic series. The hero is still a teenager, but without the anime hair, ridiculous zipper lined outfit, or the "emo" attitude. The setting is back to fantasy fare, and while you do end up saving the world, its kinda not the focus of the game. The whole theme of the game is centered around what it means to live, and every single characters plot arc centers around them finding their purpose in life. Its some of the best character building and interaction in the whole series. The stories' tone is also pretty unique, starting out really lighthearted but isn't afraid to dive down into surprisingly dark existential questions. Also, the whole game is LITTERED with references and easter eggs to previous titles.

https://youtu.be/uno0ggHPSpI

Aren't all the Bethesda Fallout games essentially spin-offs?? There really hasn't been anything that connects the two eras other than aesthetics from the beginning. The first game saved the genre along with Baldur's Gate (though only in the sense of setting and choice/consequence, as the UI and combat remain terrible). The Bethesda games are a completely different animal that are only tangentially tied to the first two at all. They simply built on the success of Oblivion and shoe-horned that game into one that had a nuclear wasteland as a setting and guns and bombs instead of swords and spells.

thats another issue with the Bethesda fallouts. new vegas acts as a nice finale to the west cost story line in a way. while 3 and 4 arnt even that connected to each other.

Dorcus said:

Raduziel said:

Bastards.

they may have gotten that idea because interplay was pushing that with the spin offs. in the main games the bos are just another faction heck you can ignore them altogether in 2.
    They were pretty relevant in FO1 though.
    ThacoBell said:

Still no character creation and branching dialogues though.
    @ShapiroKeatsDarkMage That doesn't make a bad game. Besides, you said you liked the older FFs and they didn't have that either. 9 is basically a return to old form.
    ThacoBell said:

@ShapiroKeatsDarkMage That doesn't make a bad game. Besides, you said you liked the older FFs and they didn't have that either. 9 is basically a return to old form.

But it does make it a not-so-good RPG.

Western RPGs for life!

ThacoBell said:

Western RPGs for life!
    No, its a fantastic RPG.
    ThacoBell said:

ThacoBell said:

Western RPGs for life!
    No, its a fantastic RPG.
    i never like getting into the jrpg vs wrpg debate as it leads to bad things.
    https://youtu.be/8gOLswMNrgE

Skyrim 76 is upon us. Get your Limited Edition with nylon loin cloth and a 120% accurate Blackbriar mead bottle NOW for just 30,000 Septims.
    I still feel Fallout 76's problems are minor compared to what we are seeing from EA and now Activision. My last straw with WoW recently was when they decided to make cash shop items "limited time only", creating artificial scarcity for digital items like it's the goddamn Disney Vault. I can't believe what Blizzard has become. It's beyond sad. The microtransactions in Fallout 76 are fairly innocuous, all things considered.