Skip to content

Fallout 76 confirmed!?

Comments

• DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    Yup, it's confirmed as an online survival game, so I definitely won't be playing it. There's no way in hell I'm playing a game where some 13 year old who plays the game 24/7 can nuke my stuff while I'm at work or sleeping.
  • SquireSquire Member Posts: 511
    Looks to me like similar to Life is Feudal (but in the Fallout setting). I might have a go if I knew people who'd play it with me, but I doubt very much I'd be playing it solo.
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428

Yup, it's confirmed as an online survival game, so I definitely won't be playing it. There's no way in hell I'm playing a game where some 13 year old who plays the game 24/7 can nuke my stuff while I'm at work or sleeping.

I'd rather play the upcoming Warhammer Vermintide 2.

Online only? Forget that--back to New Vegas for me.

Begin agaaain...
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Imma gonna save my rant for Wild Surge on this.

But I'll just say my 6 year old nephew plays Fortnite.
  • voidofopinionvoidofopinion Member, Moderator Posts: 1,248
    I've yet to finish a play through of Fallout 4 due to getting bored by the watered down systems. I don't think Fallout 76 is going to be my cup of tea.

Meanwhile... 6th play through of Tale of Two Wastelands.

It would be nice to have new Fallout but they can never take away my enjoyment of 1, 2, 3 & New Vegas.

:)

I've yet to finish a play through of Fallout 4 due to getting bored by the watered down systems. I don't think Fallout 76 is going to be my cup of tea.

Meanwhile... 6th play through of Tale of Two Wastelands.

It would be nice to have new Fallout but they can never take away my enjoyment of 1, 2, 3 & New Vegas.

:)

I actually liked 4 better than 3, but of course New Vegas is the best of the new fallouts. I don't mind the changes to the mechanics, and find the combat to be a lot of fun, it's just the writing and choice is not up to the standard Obsidian set. Storywise, I'd put 4 better than 3, but I never much cared for 3s story.

I don't think I'll forget my first playthrough of New Vegas, and was so happy to be able to get exactly the ending I was aiming for. Kill everyone and take over New Vegas for myself >:) I just wish they'd let Obsidian do another one so bad.

So is Tale of Two Wastelands just a combination of 3 and new vegas with the ability to travel between them? Might have to check it out next time I get around to reinstalling new vegas.
    I'm struggling with Fallout 4 too, but for a different reason... I have to play in Survival mode (it's too boring otherwise), but this means no fast-travel... in a game that was designed to use fast-travel... meaning you have to spend hours and hours just walking. So many hours of just walking from A to B, and heaven forbid if you die when you get there!!! (no quicksave either...) It's so annoying, why can no RPG ever get this right? Why is it always full on "fast travel everywhere with no consequences or have to spend hours walking"? What's wrong with having a Morrowind style fast travel, or something like what KC:D has? (i.e. fast travel to and from certain points only)

As for 76... apparently there's no single-player mode. By "solo" they mean "travelling alone but you still meet (and get attacked by) other players". The idea is that you only meet a few dozen players, not thousands like with an MMO, but you're still going to have to team up with players and face PVPers... basically like Life is Feudal but in the Fallout setting.

Not sure how I feel about it, tbh... again, there's no way I'm playing it on my own, but if enough of my friends want to play it I'll consider it.
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957
    Squire said:

As for 76... apparently there's no single-player mode. By "solo" they mean "travelling alone but you still meet (and get attacked by) other players". The idea is that you only meet a few dozen players, not thousands like with an MMO, but you're still going to have to team up with players and face PVPers... basically like Life is Feudal but in the Fallout setting.

Not sure how I feel about it, tbh... again, there's no way I'm playing it on my own, but if enough of my friends want to play it I'll consider it.

What's to stop them from stabbing/shooting you in the back?

So is Tale of Two Wastelands just a combination of 3 and new vegas with the ability to travel between them? Might have to check it out next time I get around to reinstalling new vegas.

Yep, exactly that!

Tale of Two Wastelands seamlessly joins Fallout 3 and New Vegas into one big game. You need the GOTY versions of both for it to work and modding gets a bit more complicated but it is incredable with it all up and running and backports a ton of New Vegas improvements over to Fallout 3 making it a bit more palatable.

https://taleoftwowastelands.com/

What's to stop them from stabbing/shooting you in the back?

Pretty much nothing... other than the threat of you not playing with them again (or planning revenge). Your character never dies, and doesn't lose XP or whatever (not sure about inventory items) so you can't be crippled to a point where you can't play anymore, so there's absolutely nothing stopping you from teaming up with another group and nuking their base (assuming you're able to find a nuclear missile site and the launch codes - yes that is a thing you can do in this game).

Yeah... the more I think about it, the more I think it's not for me. I'm not into PVP, and this looks like it's going to be yet another highly PVP focused game with an emphasis on bloodbath style play (as if we really needed another of those).
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666

we could have lived in a world where troika had the rights to fallout. but then we would not have new vegas so i dunno.

And everything would be super buggy and fanpatched to hell.

Come to think of it, I don't see a difference after all.
    obsidian and troika may as well have been the same company.

we could have lived in a world where troika had the rights to fallout. but then we would not have new vegas so i dunno.

They pretty much are at this point, some of the devs from Troika wound up at Obsidian in the end, anyways.

They pretty much are at this point, some of the devs from Troika wound up at Obsidian in the end, anyways.
    The problem with Troika games is that they look like they are stuck in the beta phase.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235

The problem with Troika games is that they look like they are stuck in the beta phase.
    Much like Obsidian :D
  • fluke13fluke13 Member Posts: 399
    I might just play on my own, build a little hut in the middle of nowhere and sniper anyone who comes remotely close o:)
    ThacoBell said:

Much like Obsidian :D
    I've got to say, their last several games haven't been any buggier than anyone else's, at least for me. New Vegas wasn't any buggier than fallout 3 when it came out, and I never hit anything game breaking in Tyranny or the PoE games. It seems like balance tweaking is what tends to get done post release these days, just since they can really see how people abuse the system once the game is fully available to the public.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    It's not like Troika or Obsidian were bad at making functioning games. They weren't given the time to finish them. Troika released their 3 games in a astoundingly short period of time. One of them is recognized as probably having the best character creation ever. The next the most faithful implementation of tabletop D&D combat ever, and the last oozes more atmosphere than just about anything you are likely to play. But they had Atari and Activision looming over them with deadlines.

Obsidian's record is just as impressive. Sith Lords, NWN2, Alpha Protocol, New Vegas. All again flawed at launch because of bugs, but look at the publishers. Lucasarts rushing things out the door. Atari again. Sega. Bethesda. Now that they've become self-sufficient because of crowd-funding, their games haven't been any buggier than any other game you'll run into.

In the end, all these games, years down the line, got patched to point where there are no longer any problems with them. Troika games WERE stuck in the beta phase. But it's not like they are the only company that happened to. Ask the guys who made Ultima IX and Might and Magic IX what happens when you have to ship an unfinished product. We can argue about bugs, but in the end, I think the only studio that rivals them in actual pure game-making cache is Looking Glass, who just flat-out blew everyone out of the water (even Black Isle).
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Obsidian is also a known time optimist, though. Just look at what they originally had planned for New Vegas. 30-50% more map, a whole Legion based story progression... There's definitely cause for blaming publishers for pushing to release games early, but there's also a point where you need to be able to plan ahead for the time you've got too.
    Going even further with KotoR2. Obsidian was prepared to release a post release patch to actually finish the game, but LucasArts forbid it. I don't think I've heard of Looking Glass before @jjstraka34 , what games have they done?
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @ThacoBell They made System Shock (and 2)

Ah okay. That would explain it. I don't like system shock. *cue boos and hisses fromt he crowd. Maybe the occasionaly thrown vegetable.*
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    ThacoBell said:

Going even further with KotoR2. Obsidian was prepared to release a post release patch to actually finish the game, but LucasArts forbid it. I don't think I've heard of Looking Glass before @jjstraka34 , what games have they done?

Ultima Underworld 1 & 2, Thief 1 & 2, and System Shock 1 & 2. Basically they never missed. Beyond that, modern gaming doesn't really exist without these games and the innovations they made. Level design, sound design, the way narrative works in a game. You can trace every Elder Scrolls game to Ultima Underworld. Thief invented the stealth genre and basically has the best sound and level design I've ever seen. The System Shock series is the direct precursor of Bioshock, but more than that, it innovated the way story is told in games.
    ThacoBell said:

Ah okay. That would explain it. I don't like system shock. *cue boos and hisses fromt he crowd. Maybe the occasionaly thrown vegetable.*
    You are not alone.

I though it was slow, clumsy and pretentious.

I didn't like Deus Ex for the same reasons.

;)

ThacoBell said:

You are not alone.

;)
    Proceeds to throw tomatoes at Finneouspj for dissing Deus Ex.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455

ThacoBell said:

You are not alone.

;)
    What the hell?

ThacoBell said:

You are not alone.

;)
    What the hell?
    Sorry. Sorry. I mistook you for voidofopinion.
  • fluke13fluke13 Member Posts: 399
    I'll take a few tomatoes in the face for the team... I haven't played any of those looking glass games, or fallout 2 (playing 1, but im not loving it so far). I haven't played the first Deus ex or the first KOTOR. I never played temple of elemental evil. I couldn't get into the might and magic series. More recently, I haven't yet played pillars 2, original sin 2, or tyranny. I've started pillars 1 and numenera. I love IE games and rpgs, looks like I have some catching up to do. I played bg1 when it first came out, so I don't have the excuse of being too young :'(