Skip to content

Any issues in 2.5 with .CHR files? Should I roll a new character?

See title. Should I roll a new character for 2.5 or are my previous .CHR files still good?

I can't imagine this being the case, but I figured I'd double check.

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I would roll a new character. I've seen people reporting a lot of problems when loading old patch saves.
  • DorcusDorcus Member Posts: 270
    Damn, old saves and character exports? That's rough. Better safe than sorry tho! Thank you TB
    oh yeah hey also @JuliusBorisov did you know that the Soultaker plot is unfinished in BG2EE? might want to have the team look into that
  • PingwinPingwin Member Posts: 262
    The only problems I've seen mentioned are that Dorn is broken and keeps trying to start dialogs but it is easily fixed. Are there other known issues?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    To experience new quests/banters for Jaheira, Branwen, Yeslick, Kagain and Kivan, I recommend to start a new BG:EE game.

Except for Dorn, there shouldn't be any other major problems with loading old patch saves (of course, if you are careful with mods).

The Soultaker plot - we hear you.

If we ever do any new content for Infinity Engine games, it’ll take a while. Our main focus is fixing bugs and making modding easier.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861

To experience new quests/banters for Jaheira, Branwen, Yeslick, Kagain and Kivan, I recommend to start a new BG:EE game.

There are new banters for Kivan? Does this mean that him and Viconia finally decide to kill each other? Or get a room? I've been waiting twenty years for them to do one or the other.
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    Wait, the initial post was talking about .chr files, but a lot of people here are talking about saves.

I want to confirm, are we talking about problems with .chr files? Like if I rolled a character in a previous patch, exported them, and intend to import them for a new game, I should expect problems?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725

if I rolled a character in a previous patch, exported them, and intend to import them for a new game, I should expect problems?

No. ;) Everything should be fine!
  • MonotremataMonotremata Member Posts: 78

Except for Dorn, there shouldn't be any other major problems with loading old patch saves (of course, if you are careful with mods).

Well thats a relief to hear! I ditched Jaheira for the first time, and the rest of them aren't in my party anyways. I just made it to BG itself and was dreading starting over again.
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391

if I rolled a character in a previous patch, exported them, and intend to import them for a new game, I should expect problems?

No. ;) Everything should be fine!
    Thank you!
  • Very_BigSwordVery_BigSword Member Posts: 222
    edited August 2018
    I have opened old saves and exported chars, importing them to a new game seems fine from brief testing. Remember of course that any containers you have when exporting the character will be missing.

I was aware of the Branwen, Yeslick, Kagain and Kivan content that would clash with BG1NPC mod changes. Is the mod content for Jaheira (see Spoiler) best to be left out of the mod installation?

the cloakwood quests with Seniyad and the shadow druids
    That is the question for @AstroBryGuy . :)
    thank you Julius I was worried my .chr files were toast
    my many, many years of .chr files. lmao.
  • Blue_ThreeBlue_Three Member Posts: 28
    edited August 2018
    I only got the EE recently. Should saves from games started post-2.5 be good going forward or do I need to start a new game every time a major patch gets released? :D
    @Blue_Three We’ll continue fixing bugs and start releasing smaller updates, so games started post-2.5 should be fine.
  • Blue_ThreeBlue_Three Member Posts: 28
    I see. Just wanted to make sure. I haven't really followed all these years of work on the game. Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate how much you guys do. I've only played a few hours but the game's more polished than it's ever been.