Skip to content

The Politics Thread

Comments

• bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    @MaleficentOne i see your cold black heart
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    bob_veng wrote: »

It has nothing to do with a 'cold black heart'. It has to do with a cool, level head. Pointing out what's likely going to happen is not the same as condoning what happens. I agree that the dead man is also going to be put on trial and that his past history is going to make it harder to convict his killers. It's reality, not our 'cold black hearts'...
  • DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,570
    edited May 2020
    DinoDin wrote: »
    One note on Michigan, is that it's yet another state where Republicans have gerrymandered the statehouse districts so that they can win majority control in the legislature, despite losing the statewide vote, as they did in 2018.

https://www.inquirer.com/philly/news/politics/gerrymandering-election-state-houses-pennsylvania-michigan-north-carolina-republicans-analysis-20181113.html

For the state House of Reps they wont 47.4% of the vote but control 52.7% of the seats.
    48.0% of the state Senate votes, but 57.9% of the seats.

Remember, this election year will also grant the winners in many states redistricting powers.

And the crooked SCOTUS has legitimized gerrymandering saying it's nothing we can do bra, now or ever! So 2020 will be huge, nothing to stop Republicans from totally screwing over voters. Trump can't be allowed to put any more nutty activist conservative judges who will endore more insane opinions like the gerrymandering one.

Thankfully a few states responded to some of the outrageous gerrymanders of 2010 by passing either legislation or state constitutional amendments to make the process either bipartisan or nonpartisan. Unfortunately, in too many states, whoever wins their statehouses will have wide latitude to redraw the districts.

No reason why left-of-center folks can't turn out in large enough numbers to win back many of these statehouses, imo. National polling numbers for Republicans look as bad as they were in 2008. Obviously, I don't advocate Democrats do the same gerrymandering once in power, and they generally have not.

Also gerrymandering gets a little less effective with each subsequent election after the district drawing, because of shifting populations. But your point is very important, there is a lot on the line in the upcoming election, not just a presidency.
    edited May 2020
    Interesting article about the Midland, MI dam failures. As usual, it's a complex story. It'll be very interesting how this plays out...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.detroitnews.com/amp/5228559002
    edited May 2020
    As the article by a Georgia public defender that Zeke linked to said, their citizens' arrest likely failed on several grounds. Not merely on the direct knowledge grounds.

It seems chasing someone down the street with a gun would violate the "reasonable use of force" part of the law as well, according to the author of the article. The author cited a case where someone chased down a home invader with a baseball bat on the street, and that did not qualify as a legal attempt at a citizens' arrest. It's really important that people understand the citizens' arrest law exists only for EXTREME circumstances and also requires a high degree of restraint on the part of the people making the arrest. For good reason, imo. It's not a free society if people can just threaten with violence and detain their fellow citizens on the thinnest of suspicions.
  • MaleficentOneMaleficentOne Member Posts: 211
    jjstraka34 wrote: »
    There is a second video of Ahmaud Arbery being arrested for shoplifting. He later pleaded guilty to the charge and received 5 yrs probation.

https://nypost.com/2020/05/19/new-ahmaud-arbery-video-shows-2017-shoplifting-arrest/

I am in no way condoning the actions of Greg and Travis McMichael. A lot of things will come out at trial, hopefully two of those things will be truth and justice.

Explain to me what is being insinuated by running this story other than that if you are arrested for shoplifting in 2017, it's only right and proper you are executed by random citizens 3 years later in a totally separate incident.

And they CAN'T stop and hold him without DIRECT knowledge of a specific, immediate felony. Attempting to roll a flat-screen out of Wal-Mart a thousand days earlier doesn't count. Unless he had property of one of those men on his person at the time he was shot, it was an illegal attempt to detain someone. If that was the case, we would have heard about it by now, instead of getting dash cam clips from 2017. We saw the video they have from the construction site. He doesn't take anything. He doesn't have anything in his hands when the confrontation takes place. Unless he has some wood screws in his pocket that they DIRECTLY SAW him take while watching on a live video feed, they have NO legal basis for the attempted stop. They witnessed trespassing. Which is not a felony. Which is what is required under Georgia law if you want to go out and play Wyatt Earp.

We shall see all the evidence in court. I do hope that Greg and Travis McMichael get what's coming to them, under the law and by hearing all the evidence.

Personally I don't like jumping to conclusions if I can. I will usually wait till the smoke clears and the lynch mobs are dispersed before I take a stance or side on something. Greg and Travis McMichael will pay for what they did but the extent will be determined by the law not by the media or political groups on either side. Hopefully.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited May 2020
    There is a second video of Ahmaud Arbery being arrested for shoplifting. He later pleaded guilty to the charge and received 5 yrs probation.

https://nypost.com/2020/05/19/new-ahmaud-arbery-video-shows-2017-shoplifting-arrest/

I am in no way condoning the actions of Greg and Travis McMichael. A lot of things will come out at trial, hopefully two of those things will be truth and justice.

Explain to me what is being insinuated by running this story other than that if you are arrested for shoplifting in 2017, it's only right and proper you are executed by random citizens 3 years later in a totally separate incident.

And they CAN'T stop and hold him without DIRECT knowledge of a specific, immediate felony. Attempting to roll a flat-screen out of Wal-Mart a thousand days earlier doesn't count. Unless he had property of one of those men on his person at the time he was shot, it was an illegal attempt to detain someone. If that was the case, we would have heard about it by now, instead of getting dash cam clips from 2017. We saw the video they have from the construction site. He doesn't take anything. He doesn't have anything in his hands when the confrontation takes place. Unless he has some wood screws in his pocket that they DIRECTLY SAW him take while watching on a live video feed, they have NO legal basis for the attempted stop. They witnessed trespassing. Which is not a felony. Which is what is required under Georgia law if you want to go out and play Wyatt Earp.

We shall see all the evidence in court. I do hope that Greg and Travis McMichael get what's coming to them, under the law and by hearing all the evidence.

Personally I don't like jumping to conclusions if I can. I will usually wait till the smoke clears and the lynch mobs are dispersed before I take a stance or side on something. Greg and Travis McMichael will pay for what they did but the extent will be determined by the law not by the media or political groups on either side. Hopefully.

No one here has suggested these men don't deserve a trial or that they should be killed on the spot like Aubrey was. But it's ridiculous to talk about the "media" influencing perception and not admit that the only purpose of the NY Post article (a notoriously right-wing tabloid, it's not even accurate to call them journalists) is to insinuate Aubrey deserved to die because of a previous criminal record. Which he already plead guilty to, and was sentenced for. That's the extent of it. It has absolutely no bearing on the current situation.

I've been watching these cases for YEARS, and it's the same every time. If a black person ends up shot dead by cops (or, in the case of Sandra Bland, mysteriously "kills herself" in a jail cell after being arrested for a minor traffic violation), the media will go to the ends of the Earth to find ANY blemish on their life record. They will then publish it. Every time, the only subtext to read from it is "well, they weren't perfect, so honestly, they PROBABLY deserved to die, and even if they didn't, they aren't worth shedding any tears over". It's like clockwork. Christ, they even tried it with Botham Jean when the off-duty cop broke into HIS apartment when he was eating ice cream and shot him on the spot. There were leaks about "drugs" being found in his apartment, as if that had ANYTHING to do with what happened. If you are a black man, you better not have had so much as a fucking pimple if you want any kind of justice in these situations.

The father and son will get their day in court. That isn't in dispute. Given the country we live in, they stand at least a 50/50 chance of walking. Ahmed Aubrey has a 0% chance of climbing out of his grave.

In my spare time I swing kittens around by the tail and punt babies.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    edited May 2020
    you lack a moral core
    Balrog99 wrote: »

It has nothing to do with a 'cold black heart'. It has to do with a cool, level head. Pointing out what's likely going to happen is not the same as condoning what happens. I agree that the dead man is also going to be put on trial and that his past history is going to make it harder to convict his killers. It's reality, not our 'cold black hearts'...

you are the same as the killers
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited May 2020
    One note on Michigan, is that it's yet another state where Republicans have gerrymandered the statehouse districts so that they can win majority control in the legislature, despite losing the statewide vote, as they did in 2018.

https://www.inquirer.com/philly/news/politics/gerrymandering-election-state-houses-pennsylvania-michigan-north-carolina-republicans-analysis-20181113.html

For the state House of Reps they wont 47.4% of the vote but control 52.7% of the seats.

Remember, this election year will also grant the winners in many states redistricting powers.

And the crooked SCOTUS has legitimized gerrymandering saying it's nothing we can do bra, now or ever! So 2020 will be huge, nothing to stop Republicans from totally screwing over voters. Trump can't be allowed to put any more nutty activist conservative judges who will endore more insane opinions like the gerrymandering one.

Thankfully a few states responded to some of the outrageous gerrymanders of 2010 by passing either legislation or state constitutional amendments to make the process either bipartisan or nonpartisan. Unfortunately, in too many states, whoever wins their statehouses will have wide latitude to redraw the districts.

No reason why left-of-center folks can't turn out in large enough numbers to win back many of these statehouses, imo. National polling numbers for Republicans look as bad as they were in 2008. Obviously, I don't advocate Democrats do the same gerrymandering once in power, and they generally have not.

Also gerrymandering gets a little less effective with each subsequent election after the district drawing, because of shifting populations. But your point is very important, there is a lot on the line in the upcoming election, not just a presidency.

Well the thing is if Democrats don't gerrymander and Republicans always gerrymander, like they tend to do, then Democrats are fighting a losing strategy. And the stakes are too high.

For the sake of the country I guess they should gerrymander the hell out of some states to ensure Republicans never gerrymander them again. Republicans will gerrymander Democrats permanently out of power if they can while ensuring they rule though minority rule. So the only solution is to preemptively do that to Republicans first isn't it. Then you can pass a thing for nonpartisan districting but you gotta be sure Republicans can't overturn it. Lol. Because they will.

Gerrymandering Republicans a might be the only way to get the SCOTUS, with it's 5 Republican Politicians, to reconsider their democracy killing and totally ridiculous ruling.

It wouldn't even be hard to do, because by sheer numbers Republicans are vastly outnumbered.

Well the thing is if Democrats don't gerrymander and Republicans always gerrymander, like they tend to do, then Democrats are fighting a losing strategy. And the stakes are too high.

For the sake of the country I guess they should gerrymander the hell out of some states to ensure Republicans never gerrymander them again. Republicans will gerrymander Democrats permanently out of power if they can while ensuring they rule though minority rule. So the only solution is to preemptively do that to Republicans first isn't it. Then you can pass a thing for nonpartisan districting but you gotta be sure Republicans can't overturn it. Lol. Because they will.

Gerrymandering Republicans a might be the only way to get the SCOTUS, with it's 5 Republican Politicians, to reconsider their democracy killing and totally ridiculous ruling.

It wouldn't even be hard to do, because by sheer numbers Republicans are vastly outnumbered.

Where are your statistics for "Republicans are VASTLY outnumbered"?
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957
    I wouldn't say VASTLY outnumbered, but it is clear that liberals and/or Democrats have been the population majority for decades, possibly on the order of 55-45 to 60-40.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963

Where are your statistics for "Republicans are VASTLY outnumbered"?

For starters, the Democratic "minority" in the Senate represents about 15 million more people than the Republican "majority".

All the places where people actually live - cities -tend to not vote for Republicans.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    It's a distressing sign. There's no practical reason to mandate that all legal recognition of sex and gender be determined by genitalia as seen at birth; all it does is crack down on trans people and make things extra difficult for intersex people who were incorrectly identified at birth.

I was in a Zoom meeting with my local trans support group earlier today and people mentioned that something as simple as having the right ID literally made you physically safer because it gave your identity some legitimacy if it were challenged. If somebody confronts you on the street or after you use a public bathroom, you could pull out your ID and defuse a potentially violent situation.

Legal recognition of trans identities isn't just a symbolic issue about whether people have a right to be trans; it's a safety concern about whether trans people have a right to exist.

As long as there are bigoted and cruel people in the world, legal protections are the only thing keeping people safe.
    There are videos circulating that a Long term Care Worker, Jaden Hayden, has been filming himself beating up and poisoning the elderly in his care. This is exactly what I talked about in a earlier post. COVID, Race, Politics, Bills, Rat Race, Gender, more people are going to start to snap, it's too much for them, overload. Please guys be calm. Humanity is taking an evil turn that we will not be able to go back from. Sad times.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320
    Willaim Bryan, who filmed the video of Ahmaud Arbery from his car, has been charged with murder.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320
    A couple of other things caught my eye in the news this morning.

The US assault on international agreements continues with their announced intention to pull out of the Open Skies treaty that allows countries to overfly each other - mainly intended to check compliance with arms agreements.

China is planning to implement a national security law to bring Hong Kong into line with mainland China. This is no surprise, given that China has been becoming more nationalist and authoritarian in recent years. However, the way that it is being implemented is likely to undermine the "one country, two systems" approach that was agreed should be in place for 50 years when the UK handed Hong Kong over to China in 1997. Presumably China have already thought through how they will react when this leads to another round of protests in Hong Kong.
    edited May 2020
    The results are in. Trump's miracle drug killed people. Alot of them. A full 34% increase in mortality. Keep in mind, Texas was using this on long-term care facility patients like lab rats:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/05/22/hydroxychloroquine-coronavirus-study/

A study of 96,000 hospitalized coronavirus patients on six continents found that those who received an antimalarial drug promoted by President Trump as a “game changer” in the fight against the virus had a significantly higher risk of death compared with those who did not.

People treated with hydroxychloroquine, or the closely related drug chloroquine, were also more likely to develop a type of irregular heart rhythm, or arrhythmia, that can lead to sudden cardiac death, it concluded.

The study, published Friday in the medical journal the Lancet, is the largest analysis to date of the risks and benefits of treating covid-19 patients with antimalarial drugs. It is based on a retrospective analysis of medical records, not a controlled study in which patients are divided randomly into treatment groups — a method considered the gold standard of medicine. But the sheer size of the study was convincing to some scientists.

“It’s one thing not to have benefit, but this shows distinct harm,” said Eric Topol, a cardiologist and director of the Scripps Research Translational Institute. “If there was ever hope for this drug, this is the death of it.”

For those given hydroxychloroquine, there was a 34 percent increase in risk of mortality and a 137 percent increased risk of a serious heart arrhythmias. For those receiving hydroxychloroquine and an antibiotic — the cocktail endorsed by Trump — there was a 45 percent increased risk of death and a 411 percent increased risk of serious heart arrhythmias.

Those given chloroquine had a 37 percent increased risk of death and a 256 percent increased risk of serious heart arrhythmias. For those taking chloroquine and an antibiotic, there was a 37 percent increased risk of death and a 301 percent increased risk of serious heart arrhythmias.

He promoted this. He is the reason it was used on a wide-scale. We all know this. We all listened to him talk about it on a daily basis for 3 weeks. Where is the accountability?? How many times do we have to be right about this guy before the rest of the country wakes the fuck up??
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Good to have this study done, but I cannot believe doctors were even considering this drug. One of the main side effects of the drug for its normal treatment was already severe cardiac illnesses...
    How can you apply it as antiviral agent when you know the virus causes major fatigue, fever and respiratory problems that indicate that the heart needs to do more than double duty to fight the virus?

Absolute insanity.
    edited May 2020
    It's hard to even understand the timeline we're living in. This morning, Trump is having some sort of ceremony for what appears to be about a dozen "bikers" while "Sweet Child O'Mine" blares at full volume in the background. So, we may not have a plan for testing and contact tracing, but if anyone needs security for a music festival at Altamont, Trump can probably hook you up:

Ostensibly, I guess this is his idea of a Memorial Day ceremony. I've been to multiple dozen Memorial Day ceremonies. They are solemn affairs with roll calls and a 21-gun salute while a trumpet player plays TAPS about a football field away. And then there is.......this.

I mean, if this was a video game, I wouldn't even compare it to Grand Theft Auto in ridiculousness. I'd have to go straight to the even more bonkers Saint's Row series.
    edited May 2020
    In response to Trump declaring churches "essential", and his Press Secretary saying "We can all hope this Sunday people are allowed to pray to their gods", I offer actual scripture:

"And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites
    are, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and
    in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men.
    Verily I say unto you, They have their reward." Matthew 6:5

Not a coincidence that Bush's consigliere Karl Rove has joined the campaign this week. We're going right back to 2004 Evangelical dog whistles.
    Other Republican Governors and the President need to follow the lead of Doug Burgum here in ND. I think he's swung open the doors too early, but this is a solid message that alot of people need to hear right now:

Well, Governor Whitmer has officially extended the stay at home order in Michigan until June 12th. Even my Democrat friends are pissed off at her now. I'm afraid she may have committed political suicide in this state. I'm starting to have my doubts about this election. My Spidey-sense is tingling. I don't think the Democratic Party understands how people outside of their solid-blue states think. This is encroaching on summer 'let's go up north' time now. That's sacred to almost everybody in Michigan. There is no patience here to wait for a miracle vaccine. I give Whitmer props for sticking to her guns, but just calling it how I see it...
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Well, Governor Whitmer has officially extended the stay at home order in Michigan until June 12th. Even my Democrat friends are pissed off at her now. I'm afraid she may have committed political suicide in this state. I'm starting to have my doubts about this election. My Spidey-sense is tingling. I don't think the Democratic Party understands how people outside of their solid-blue states think. This is encroaching on summer 'let's go up north' time now. That's sacred to almost everybody in Michigan. There is no patience here to wait for a miracle vaccine. I give Whitmer props for sticking to her guns, but just calling it how I see it...

Well we’ll see in about a month and half time. If people states around Michigan are dropping dead and their numbers stay even, she did right.

But if the numbers don’t change anywhere... look out.

I’d personally would rather side with caution but there are ways to open things up and still practise social distancing.
    In response to Trump declaring churches "essential", and his Press Secretary saying "We can all hope this Sunday people are allowed to pray to their gods", I offer actual scripture:

"And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites
    are, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and
    in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men.
    Verily I say unto you, They have their reward." Matthew 6:5

Not a coincidence that Bush's consigliere Karl Rove has joined the campaign this week. We're going right back to 2004 Evangelical dog whistles.

It's not about praying, it's about fellowship. I know how Evangelicals think. They're a tight-knit group that bond around their time in church. It's almost as much about friendship and bonding as it is about religion (maybe even more so). This is a desperation move by Trump, but that doesn't mean it won't work. Other religious groups that aren't so-called Evangelicals might even join in if this goes on much longer. The US is not Asia or even Europe. People here will not forgive politicians that are deemed to be 'oppressive'.
    deltago wrote: »

Well we’ll see in about a month and half time. If people states around Michigan are dropping dead and their numbers stay even, she did right.

But if the numbers don’t change anywhere... look out.

I’d personally would rather side with caution but there are ways to open things up and still practise social distancing.

I wish I could just look at things from my scientific pov, but I can't. The reality is that science will never be more important than feelings until the general population is more educated. That's going to be even harder now. I just got an e-mail from my daughter's school superintendent saying that they're being told to budget for next year on the assumption that they'll be getting $650 less per student due to tax revenue being lower due to Coronavirus. As bad as that sounds, one state Senator is saying it might end up being up to $2k less per student if they don't get some help from the Feds. That would be a disaster! They'd have to lay off lots of teachers if that happens. This country is in more peril from this virus than most people understand...
    edited May 2020
    It's always worth comparing one's anecdotal experience against actual polling in these situations. Whitmer holds a 63.7% approval rating for her coronavirus policy according to one recent poll: https://www.fox2detroit.com/news/new-poll-finds-growing-approval-for-gov-whitmers-covid-19-response-widening-partisan-views-of-pandemic

same poll different news analysis: https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2020/05/20/republican-men-views-coronavirus/5227671002/

We'll see if that changes, but those are pretty enormous numbers for a purple state governor. Especially given the context of her having to battle publicly with an opposite-party legislature. And they are largely in line with other states approving governors who have imposed lockdown orders. Frankly, there is little to any evidence that the majority opinion opposes what most state governments' restrictions.