Skip to content

The Politics Thread

Comments

• jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited November 2020
    DinoDin wrote: »
    Ammar wrote: »
    This won't succeed today, but those voter fraud story will be what the GOP will use to rally their base and justify further deviations from democratic norms.

The danger of these stories is quite substantial - if you look at how Democracies the proponents almost always tell a story of the country being betrayed by the other side specifically including the rank-and-file supporters.

Yep, it continues to reinforce an idea that's become ubiquitous among US conservatives. Only Republican election victories and only Republican governance is legitimate.

I've watched more than one of these panels of Trump voters AFTER the election (yes, they are STILL doing these) and they don't even have a reason for why they think the election was stolen. Not a real one. Almost universally, they just say something to the effect of "I just can't believe Biden actually won". Like it's incomprehensible to them that a guy who mismanaged a once in a century crisis would be vulnerable to defeat. I don't LIKE the fact that Trump got millions more votes than in 2016, but I don't DENY it took place.

Democrats after this election: Well, we accomplished our main goal, but it was closer than we would have hoped and something clearly went wrong down-ballot that needs to be fixed, and polls aren't necessarily as reliable as we would have liked to believe.

Republicans: The entire thing was rigged, throw out the results and install Trump for a second term.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Who can see this party and vote for it? I mean this administration in particular. Corruption and scumbaggery from top to bottom.
  • DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,572
    The denialism probably has two main causes imo. One is obviously geographic isolation of the voting blocs. It's not actually the states that are all that divided, but instead the contrast between how folks in cities versus how rural/small towns vote is vast. Almost all states are 60-40 or closer. But some cities are like 80-20 and some rural counties just the opposite.

The second reason is just social media. I praised the never Trump conservative Tom Nichols on here before. He had a great observation, which is basically people would rather get their news via a "fun" medium like social media than have to spend an hour with a serious news outlet like a daily newspaper or the neutral mainstream outlets. Basically, people would rather eat french fries and cheeseburgers instead of a healthy meal.
    The denialism probably has two main causes imo. One is obviously geographic isolation of the voting blocs. It's not actually the states that are all that divided, but instead the contrast between how folks in cities versus how rural/small towns vote is vast. Almost all states are 60-40 or closer. But some cities are like 80-20 and some rural counties just the opposite.

The second reason is just social media. I praised the never Trump conservative Tom Nichols on here before. He had a great observation, which is basically people would rather get their news via a "fun" medium like social media than have to spend an hour with a serious news outlet like a daily newspaper or the neutral mainstream outlets. Basically, people would rather eat french fries and cheeseburgers instead of a healthy meal.

Oh, they were absolutely being told in their chosen media that Trump wasn't only going to win, but that it wasn't going to be particularly close. Many far-right outlets (the myriad of alternatives to FOX that make that network seem like PBS) were predicting Trump landslides of 400+ electoral votes and winning everything (even New York) besides California. They were basically predicting a 1984 route for weeks prior to the election.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    jjstraka34 wrote: »

Oh, they were absolutely being told in their chosen media that Trump wasn't only going to win, but that it wasn't going to be particularly close. Many far-right outlets (the myriad of alternatives to FOX that make that network seem like PBS) were predicting Trump landslides of 400+ electoral votes and winning everything (even New York) besides California. They were basically predicting a 1984 route for weeks prior to the election.

I guess that might explain why my parents and sister are so convinced that this election was stolen. I never once heard any inkling of a Trump 'rout'. Not a peep and I listen to conservative WJR in the mornings. At best the local radio hosts were hoping Trump might 'squeak' out a victory (and a couple hosts were actively hoping he'd lose). What the Hell are they listening too and/or reading then???
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    The evidence just keeps piling up. The Trump campaign is going to ask for a recount of Wisconsin. But not the whole state. Oh no, it would be IMPOSSIBLE to imagine the voters in Oshkosh or Grantsburg committing fraud. They are asking for recounts in ONLY (surprise!!!) Milwaukee and Madison. I don't think people quite appreciate just how nakedly Jim Crow racist this whole thing has gotten. They are one step from asking all black voters to return to the polling place to guess how many jelly beans are in a jar. The Republican Party, by their actions, is basically signaling what they would PREFER in this country is apartheid.

The reason why it isn’t the whole state, IMO, is due to the fact that Trump’s campaign can’t finance the full $7.9 million it’d cost to do it, so they are focusing on just the two biggest counties and paying $3 million.

It’s not going to make a difference however as Dane County numbers were 260,157 votes to 78,789 in favour of Biden and Milwaukee was 317,251 votes to 134,355.

It’s a stall tactic at most.
    deltago wrote: »
    The evidence just keeps piling up. The Trump campaign is going to ask for a recount of Wisconsin. But not the whole state. Oh no, it would be IMPOSSIBLE to imagine the voters in Oshkosh or Grantsburg committing fraud. They are asking for recounts in ONLY (surprise!!!) Milwaukee and Madison. I don't think people quite appreciate just how nakedly Jim Crow racist this whole thing has gotten. They are one step from asking all black voters to return to the polling place to guess how many jelly beans are in a jar. The Republican Party, by their actions, is basically signaling what they would PREFER in this country is apartheid.

The reason why it isn’t the whole state, IMO, is due to the fact that Trump’s campaign can’t finance the full $7.9 million it’d cost to do it, so they are focusing on just the two biggest counties and paying $3 million.

It’s not going to make a difference however as Dane County numbers were 260,157 votes to 78,789 in favour of Biden and Milwaukee was 317,251 votes to 134,355.

Stalling for what then? It seems to be to sow confusion and hope either red states send faithless electors who will disregard their state's popular vote or that the Supreme Court will just hand Trump the election somehow.

Stalling for what then? It seems to be to sow confusion and hope either red states send faithless electors who will disregard their state's popular vote or that the Supreme Court will just hand Trump the election somehow.

Stalling until the Georgia Senate run-off election is done for one thing...
    edited November 2020
    Balrog99 wrote: »

I guess that might explain why my parents and sister are so convinced that this election was stolen. I never once heard any inkling of a Trump 'rout'. Not a peep and I listen to conservative WJR in the mornings. At best the local radio hosts were hoping Trump might 'squeak' out a victory (and a couple hosts were actively hoping he'd lose). What the Hell are they listening too and/or reading then???

OANN, America First, The Blaze.....that's just the TV channels. Pluto TV is free streaming alternative to cable. All of these channels are on there. I sampled them over the weekend. They are STILL telling their viewers Trump is going to pull it out. Outright advocating for the faithless electors scenario.
    edited November 2020

Stalling until the Georgia Senate run-off election is done for one thing...

Wonder how all the black voters in Georgia feel about the attempts to nullify their vote across the country. This coin has two sides. I'd say these races are totally up in the air. No one knows what the main dynamic will be. We can't say anything definitive about these two races til election night. I'm not even going to bother looking at polls for these two races. My hunch is that Perdue wins and Loeffler loses.

OANN, America First, The Blaze.....that's just the TV channels. Pluto TV is free streaming alternative to cable. All of these channels are on there. I sampled them over the weekend. They are STILL telling their viewers Trump is going to pull it out. Outright advocating for the faithless electors scenario.

You forgot Newsmax. I think my dad said he was going to start watching that. Maybe he already started...
  • m7600m7600 Member Posts: 318
    Don't forget about InfoWars. Though it's not on TV, I think.
    Outright evil described here. This isn't even corporate higher-ups, but run of the mill management:

https://iowacapitaldispatch.com/2020/11/18/lawsuit-tyson-managers-bet-money-on-how-many-workers-would-contract-covid-19/
    Mcconnell and disgusting Republicans in the Senate are still packing the courts.

A 33 yr old who was rated totally unqualified was put on the federal bench to a lifetime appointment today. Youngest nominee yet given a lifetime appointment by the lame duck Senate and election loser President Trump.

https://www.law.com/nationallawjournal/2020/11/18/lame-duck-senate-confirms-trumps-youngest-judge-yet/?slreturn=20201019021038
    Mcconnell and disgusting Republicans in the Senate are still packing the courts.

A 33 yr old who was rated totally unqualified was put on the federal bench to a lifetime appointment today. Youngest nominee yet given a lifetime appointment by the lame duck Senate and election loser President Trump.

https://www.law.com/nationallawjournal/2020/11/18/lame-duck-senate-confirms-trumps-youngest-judge-yet/?slreturn=20201019021038

This doesn't bother me so much. It's not unusual for lame-duck administrations to do these kinds of things. What will be more troubling is who Trump will eventually decide to pardon. That could be very disturbing...
    Outright evil described here. This isn't even corporate higher-ups, but run of the mill management:

https://iowacapitaldispatch.com/2020/11/18/lawsuit-tyson-managers-bet-money-on-how-many-workers-would-contract-covid-19/

If true, that is disgusting. At least some of these allegations should be easy to prove. Probably not the betting pool thing, but the inexperienced/unqualified personnel doing the day to day management should be easy to confirm...
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811

This doesn't bother me so much. It's not unusual for lame-duck administrations to do these kinds of things. What will be more troubling is who Trump will eventually decide to pardon. That could be very disturbing...

I donno. He’s already used his pardon power controversially. The only person who I think he can use it on that would cause an uproar is ghislaine maxwell.

He always used pardoning power to appease his core base so that they would turn out for him during elections. Now that he has lost this election, he doesn’t have to pardon anyone because he gets nothing for doing so.

I donno. He’s already used his pardon power controversially. The only person who I think he can use it on that would cause an uproar is ghislaine maxwell.

He always used pardoning power to appease his core base so that they would turn out for him during elections. Now that he has lost this election, he doesn’t have to pardon anyone because he gets nothing for doing so.

He has to pardon people that might get in criminal trouble and implicate him in crimes like ghislaine maxwell. Or criminals that have been doing his bidding in the government like Bill Barr maybe.
  • BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659
    Apparently Trump called the two GOP members of the certification board late Tuesday evening (after they had flipped from refusing to certify to actually certifying). Apparently, they sent in sworn affidavits the next morning asking for their stance on certification to be swapped AGAIN, in light of this phone call.

The sitting president is trying to use his power to convince people not to certify election results he doesnt like. What a tremendous abuse of power.

This why the argument that there was no such thing as "too much" oversight on an election. They need to be run fair and free, but when the government starts trying to overturn results they dont like, it stops being fair or free.
    edited November 2020
    Apparently Trump called the two GOP members of the certification board late Tuesday evening (after they had flipped from refusing to certify to actually certifying). Apparently, they sent in sworn affidavits the next morning asking for their stance on certification to be swapped AGAIN, in light of this phone call.

The sitting president is trying to use his power to convince people not to certify election results he doesnt like. What a tremendous abuse of power.

This why the argument that there was no such thing as "too much" oversight on an election. They need to be run fair and free, but when the government starts trying to overturn results they dont like, it stops being fair or free.

It's far worse than an abuse of power. They are at the point where they are simply asking GOP lawmakers in PA and MI to throw the results to Trump. It's an ongoing attempt to end American democracy, and, once again, our judgement of it shouldn't be predicated on whether it succeeds. At this point, unless you believe in autocracy, it's downright seditious. What the Republican Party is going along with right now is the biggest "scandal" in US history. It's one of the two political parties stamping "we don't believe in elections" on their forehead:

Post edited by jjstraka34 on
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    edited November 2020

I don't have any solutions. I am concerned though about the extent to which many people are now getting all their news from self-reinforcing sources, which does suggest to me there is a real possibility that more people now end up believing conspiracy theories than in the past, even though people as individuals will be no more susceptible to such claims. A few things that might be tried to reduce the impact of that self-reinforcement could include those below, but I realize they all have significant limitations and drawbacks:
    - more use of moderation (though of course "who moderates the moderators").
    - more use of warning labels and pointers to alternative viewpoints.
    - using algorithms that downgrade sensationalist stories rather than promoting them.
    - restrict the ability to monetize conspiracist sites.

I'm alright with those measures, but I do feel strongly that any use of algorithms to determine the availability or visibility of political content needs to be, at best, open sourced, and at worst, open to public examination.

Algorithms already determine much of what gets seen or not on the web having to do with political content and we have the worst of both worlds where these things are not open to public examination and also not even controlled by the public at all, but private corporations.
    So. My original assumption was that Trump would cause a big fuss about losing the election - yelling Fraud as loud as he possibly could, and that would slowly diminish as states certified counts and the election essentially sealed away his fate for a second term.

Instead of kindof letting this whole scenario die off, it sounds like Trump is now going to start ramping up pressure to find ways to overturn the election. Things like meeting with the GOP state legislature in Michigan in hopes of some kind of shenaniganry to invalidate the results from there.

I guess I didnt realize he would start flailing at this point in the process, although maybe it was forseeable as soon as the GOP establishment took the half support trump, half neutral position of saying the President is free to "Have his day in court".

I still think Biden is going to be president. However, I do think this seriously damages the credibility of future democratic elections in the USA. I wont be shocked if these same tactics are employed in 2024. The GOP is slowly wrecking democracy in this country as we know it.
    edited November 2020
    So. My original assumption was that Trump would cause a big fuss about losing the election - yelling Fraud as loud as he possibly could, and that would slowly diminish as states certified counts and the election essentially sealed away his fate for a second term.

Instead of kindof letting this whole scenario die off, it sounds like Trump is now going to start ramping up pressure to find ways to overturn the election. Things like meeting with the GOP state legislature in Michigan in hopes of some kind of shenaniganry to invalidate the results from there.

I guess I didnt realize he would start flailing at this point in the process, although maybe it was forseeable as soon as the GOP establishment took the half support trump, half neutral position of saying the President is free to "Have his day in court".

I still think Biden is going to be president. However, I do think this seriously damages the credibility of future democratic elections in the USA. I wont be shocked if these same tactics are employed in 2024. The GOP is slowly wrecking democracy in this country as we know it.

The governor in Kentucky did the same tantrum when he lost in Kentucky.

First it was Republicans saying Democrats can't appoint Supreme Court justices and it's snowballed to Democrats can't win elections.

https://www.npr.org/2019/12/13/787811560/on-his-way-out-kentucky-gov-matt-bevin-pardons-murderers-rapists-hundreds-more
    Their position is nothing less than Democratic votes in cities don't count, and should be overturned by state GOP legislatures. Wonder what that belief grew out of.........
    edited November 2020
    Trump's $20k a day lawyer that is trying to steal the election for him.

BB1bbafV.img?h=533&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f&x=3344&y=1527
    Post edited by smeagolheart on
  • bleusteelbleusteel Member Posts: 523
    Trump's 20k a day lawyer that is trying to steal the election for him.

BB1bbafV.img?h=533&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f&x=3344&y=1527

0jo06brsj1nk.jpeg
    @bleusteel Such a good movie.

The whole situation would be laughable if it wasnt so corrosive. It kind of is laughable anyways, I guess.
    edited November 2020
    I just don't find this funny anymore. The Biden team is totally in the dark on pandemic info and the upcoming vaccine distribution. A senior official told CNN yesterday that Trump is trying to set "enough fires so that the Biden Administration can't put them all out". And now they have dropped all pretense, and are simply arguing for the results to be flipped, in direct defianace of the voters of MI and PA. And the Republican Party seems to think this is all just some kind of game. Did anyone listen to that press conference?? It would have been like if Nancy Pelosi and Tom Daschle had went in front of the press a week after 9/11 and said Bush knocked down the towers in an inside job.

It's not surprising they would try tie a Latin American strongman into their conspiracy. What IS surprising is that they'd choose one who has been DEAD for SEVEN YEARS!!!! At this point, they may legitimately start suggesting Hugo Chavez isn't actually dead, but is living in the George Soros' basement.
    Yay for Biden! Oh wait, Trump can call for yet another recount since the margin was less than 0.5%. The never-ending shitshow...

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/19/politics/georgia-recount-election-results/index.html