Skip to content

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
edited October 2022 in Off-Topic
The user and all related content has been deleted.
Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Despite being a regular customer since Brood War, Blizzard lost my support as a customer after their blatant lies about Star Craft 2 requiring an internet connection to play.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    With the exception of Beamdog (because they’re not the original IP holders), I do not like this trend of companies remastering their old games and reselling them.

IMO that support should have been there from the beginning. Remarketing abandon ware to work on modern machines does seem like a cash grab.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2018
    @typo_tilly Yup, there is no true offline for the game. You have to be online to log into Battle.net, and you have to be logged in to play the game. You can play as a "guest" offline, for a limited amount of time. But you have to log in regularly to "authenticate" your account. I learned after I bought the game and then moved somewhere without internet access for a time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2018
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957
    edited November 2018

Does SC2 require an internet connection to play single player? I haven't tried the game. I remember when Blizzard started not including options for LAN and IP multiplayer. They've been downhill since WC3 for me.

Although I don't plan to buy the WC3 remaster, I'm looking forward to them patching the WC3 bnet. I have trouble connecting with some people, and I know they'll eventually patch the networking problems due to the impending remaster. They've even been patching heroes recently. I agree they should patch anyway, because they have WOW and boatloads of money.

Allegedly (It's been a few years since I played WoL+HotS, I just played the campaigns, got all the achievements, and was done, never got LotV), it can be played offline, but you had to have logged in online at least once, and reportedly again after every update.

My beef with requiring online play means that the game lives only as long as the game company lives. If Blizzard ever goes bankrupt (remote, but not impossible), might as well throw the game in the trash. If they ever decide to stop paying the servers and supporting the game, might as well throw the game in the trash.

I play games that are at LEAST 20 years old much more than games that are less than 5. Hell, I think HotS WAS the last game I bought, and that was like 2014.
    @Quickblade They claimed it would only be a first time and for updates basis. THe reality is that you have to do it every couple weeks or so.
  • Yulaw9460Yulaw9460 Member Posts: 634
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
    Post edited by Yulaw9460 on
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    The thing is, even more so than Diablo 2 or the original Starcraft BEFORE they remastered that (which was way cheaper than this is looking to be), Warcraft 3 still plays entirely smooth on nearly any modern system.
  • Yulaw9460Yulaw9460 Member Posts: 634
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
    Post edited by Yulaw9460 on
  • BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659

The thing is, even more so than Diablo 2 or the original Starcraft BEFORE they remastered that (which was way cheaper than this is looking to be), Warcraft 3 still plays entirely smooth on nearly any modern system.

I suppose that's a good reason to want them to look elsewhere. As someone who was a huge fan of Warcraft 2 and 3, I'm pretty stoked that they're remastering it first, though. I sort of hope it does well enough to gin up some support for bringing WC back into the RTS fold.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    edited November 2018
    As much as I like Warcraft III, quick question: is anyone besides me concerned with lack of Frozen Throne content in the trailers? Even in gameplay bits, looking at armor types of units like Footman, Rifleman or Knight, you can see these are vanilla ones (medium for Footman, light for Riflemen, heavy for Knight) instead of modern ones (medium for Riflemen, heavy for Footmen and Knights).

Edit: Nevermind, I know now that the expansion will be part of the Warcraft III Reforged
    Post edited by O_Bruce on
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    edited November 2018
    I don't know about remasters, but if there's one thing Blizzard is good at it's making the best effort at screwing up the lore(FOR BOTH STARCRAFT, DIABLO AND WARCRAFT!) so much the setting and story is barely coherent anymore. How do you go that wrong...and still get away with it as a company...T_T

I did some catching up on the story and lore of WoW recently up to the latest expansion...while I never played it, it seems they just keep making things even worse.
    deltago said:

With the exception of Beamdog (because they’re not the original IP holders), I do not like this trend of companies remastering their old games and reselling them.

IMO that support should have been there from the beginning. Remarketing abandon ware to work on modern machines does seem like a cash grab.

I don't like the trend because while it's fun to look back to the past, there's also no real progress on any front and most of these remasters offer no new content anyway.

It's a stagnation for the entire the entire game industry in a way..
    Post edited by batoor on
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957
    batoor said:

I don't know about remasters, but if there's one thing Blizzard is good at it's making the best effort at screwing up the lore(FOR BOTH STARCRAFT, DIABLO AND WARCRAFT!) so much the setting and story is barely coherent anymore. How do you go that wrong...and still get away with it as a company...T_T

Good gameplay forgives many sins.
    batoor said:

deltago said:

I don't like the trend because while it's fun to look back to the past, there's also no real progress on any front and most of these remasters offer no new content anyway.

Agreed.
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    batoor said:

It's funny to post this here as Beamdog is doing only remaster. I think remasters are nice when they are well done. It was the case for Starcraft remastered and it should be the case for this one. It allows younger players to experience these old classic games. It's also nice to be able to play in 4K.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Beamdog may only being doing remasters, but they are not the original IP holders of the game.

Beamdog is also taking the games and releasing it on different platforms (tablets, phones) that the original game wasn't released for.

It may stagnate, but it also revives the genre. This new CRPG trend wouldn't have been possible without the remake of Baldur's Gate IMO. Both Beamdog (on a high risk gamble) and Obsidian (on a low risk gamble) proved that there was still a market for these types of games and capitalized on it.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    The "trend" of video game remakes, remasters and HD editions has been pretty much around since the early 90's, if not even predating them. We saw this on the home consoles, handheld consoles, PC's and smartphone markets after all. Honestly, I wouldn't even call it a trend anymore at this point. More like a fool proof business practice to groom cash cows even further.

Beamdog was certainly one of the first companies that specialized in this field for PC RPG's. But they weren't by any means the foreriders of this concept. Even The Witcher 1: Remastered predates the release of BG:EE by a couple of years. Porting is another, separate oldschool strategy in the gaming industry. Just look at all those ports of The Bard's Tale for instance.
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    I'm a bit surprised at the price but I'll probably pick it up simply for the visual upgrade and to play it again as it's been ages since the last time.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    batoor said:

I did some catching up on the story and lore of WoW recently up to the latest expansion...while I never played it, it seems they just keep making things even worse.

deltago said:

Whether or not Blizzard has screwed up their lore is up for debate, but you can't accuse them of not taking it seriously. They've been telling this story since 1994 and it's still going on. There have been a few retcons along the way, but not all that many. They also released 3 hardcover coffee-table histories of the Warcraft Universe that set all the canon lore out front and center. If you had told me when I got the Warcraft Battle Chest and spent a week reading the manuals for "Orcs and Humans" and "Tides of Darkness" before I actually got to play the games that this story would STILL be ongoing 24 years later, I'd have said you were nuts.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    I'm for one hopes the competitive scene revitalizes as well. It's kinda dull at times to see the same 10 players play eachother using pretty much the same meta. I'm not that into the scene though, so I might be way off, but the matches I've watched on YT seem as much at least. I've preferred WC over SC since the beginning and would probably play it myself again and smile while doing it. I did DL the free starcraft copy from Bnet and played a campaign and it was really great, though my heart always pound harder for the Horde (pre-WoW).
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.