Skip to content

[MOD] Dark Side of the Sword Coast for BG:EE

Comments

• Red_CarnelianRed_Carnelian Member Posts: 83
    edited July 2022
    I don't think there are any level 9 spells. Level 8 yes.
  • BaptorBaptor Member Posts: 341
    I don't think there are any level 9 spells. Level 8 yes.

Fair enough, saw it on a review. My question still stands though, BGEE only gives you enough exp to get to around level 9 (135,000xp) or so if you do everything. If you do SOD you can get to level 11 (375,000xp) and SOD is a pretty big expansion. Can you really obtain 2,250,000xp in Dark Side which is what's necessary to get to Mage 16 and be able to cast level 8 spells?
  • EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    @Baptor
    While I'm unsure if DSotSC can get people level 8 spell access on its own, I know that with enough mods, you can adventure and gain level 16+. That probably matters most in an EET game.
  • OlorinielOloriniel Member Posts: 49
    IIRC, you could originally get to level 16 or even higher playing DSotSC. The mod’s original release predates the release of BG2, so it was the first experience players had fighting liches, dragons, vampires or drow.

Obviously once BG2 came out, using a character that had experienced DSotSC presented a huge balance challenge, so when it was reworked for inclusion with other mods, the XP awards for kills and quests were drastically reduced. A number of items were also scaled back or removed (in particular, there’s a book that gives a single class mage 10k XP, that originally doubled their XP!)

Managing balance in an EET game can be tough. Complete a lot of extra content, even with an XP reduction component, can make much of the game a cakewalk (Irenicus’ dungeon isn’t nearly as perilous if you have 2 million XP). But without more levels and better gear, encounters like the fight with the Hooded Man, plus a bunch of vampires and a demon, at the end of the Driz’zt Saga may be damn near impossible.

Playing EET or any open world game with enough content that doesn't scale to your power level means that there's a strong chance you'll be notably weaker or stronger than originally intended.
  • MordekaieMordekaie Member Posts: 269
    Planning to install DSotSC on my EET install.

I would like some feedback about the two components adding new arcane and divine spells. How many spells are we speaking about ? What do they bring to the game ? Would you recommand me to install them or not ?

I need to decide if i install those new spells ... buit i have no idea... I will most certainly also go with IR and IWdification spells.
    @Mordekaie
    I link in this post to the spell lists from DSotSC among other mods.
  • GraionDilachGraionDilach Member Posts: 581
    edited July 2022
    Mordekaie wrote: »

I would like some feedback about the two components adding new arcane and divine spells. How many spells are we speaking about ? What do they bring to the game ? Would you recommand me to install them or not ?

I need to decide if i install those new spells ... buit i have no idea... I will most certainly also go with IR and IWdification spells.

Can't talk about the BGEE version, but I submitted a patch a few weeks ago to ensure the spell pack components play nicely (only install the specific DSotSC-only spells and not duplicating/trying to readd IWD ports) when installed after other spellmods (with SR/IWDification being my target).

It hasn't reached a new release yet, so go with master on that one for now.
    edited July 2022

Can't talk about the BGEE version, but I submitted a patch a few weeks ago to ensure the spell pack components play nicely (only install the specific DSotSC-only spells and not duplicating/trying to readd IWD ports) when installed after other spellmods (with SR/IWDification being my target).

It hasn't reached a new release yet, so go with master on that one for now.

@GraionDilach Thanks... Just to be sure i inderstand everythink :
    - Until a new version of DSotSC (the version for EET) comes out, don't install the two spell components .
    - If a new version DSotSC comes out with your patch, it means that the 2 components dealing with spells will have to be installed after SR and IWDification spell components). It will certainly mean an installation of DSotSC in two steps.
    - Oh! There is also the solution to install your "commit" of DSotSC with the new patch...(i have been trying to see how to do this but i may need instructions : do i have to do the modifications mnually, or there is the modified DSotSC dwnloadable somewhere ?)
    If you download the master version of DSotSC via https://github.com/SpellholdStudios/DSotSC/archive/refs/heads/master.zip (since the patch is merged already), then indeed the two-step installation applies.
    If you download the master version of DSotSC via https://github.com/SpellholdStudios/DSotSC/archive/refs/heads/master.zip (since the patch is merged already), then indeed the two-step installation applies.

Does it also correct the duplicate Anti-Magic Shell ? (or i am messing with something else).
  • Fishmalk_1Fishmalk_1 Member Posts: 57
    I am encountering a crash to desktop when attempting to enter the Forest of Forgotten Souls. This is occurring regardless of whether or not I have Jet'laya in the party and regardless of which area i try to enter the forest from. Wediu log attached.
    Does it also correct the duplicate Anti-Magic Shell ? (or i am messing with something else).

Yes, that was among the reasons I filed the PR for.

@Fishmalk_1 Huh, that install order is wrong (the worldmap doesn't pick up SotSC areas, for example), but it shouldn't cause the problems you're experiencing. I'll check.
    edited August 2022
    Please note this version of DSotSC Mod is for the BGEE version only. If you are having issues with the EET version then those questions will be better answered my the modders over on the G3 or SHS forums.
  • beobeo Member Posts: 143
    edited September 2022
    I'm trying to play DSotSC (only the core component) in EET, how am I supposed to beat that f'ing dragon in a cave? I took those two NPCs with anti-dragon gear, but they are almost insta-killed like everyone else.
    @beo
    What about returning when you're a higher level? Since you're on EET, you can return in a later campaign as well.

(And your icon is Tom from Albion! Alleluia!)
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,669
    @beo be aware that this thread is for the BG:EE version of DSotSC. The EET version's forum is here.
  • beobeo Member Posts: 143
    @Endarire Well I'm not a pro at this but when the Dragon got close there was no way to survive, massacring the party in seconds every time, it was very realistic, so to speak. I have no idea what kind of level or buffing could change that. Though I actually managed to kill him, entering the cave with Imoen only, using bow and some standard fire arrows. I had to use Boots of Speed, in combination with Haste or Oil of Speed and it still took a lot of luck because dragon keeps wing buffeting and healing himself.

@jastey thanks.
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    @beo It is years since I played it, but found that it was indeed beatable. Other versions nerfed it which disappointed me. Always remember that you can run away and return when buffs have worn off. Having buffed summons awaiting a powerful enemy's arrival is often a good tactic. There are powerful arrows available. Don't waste them on weaker enemies. Of course it was the Tutu version that I played so EE could be different.

I cannot play it currently as I am using EET and my memory is fading.
  • ZoltanavrZoltanavr Member Posts: 41
    Hi! Does 1.02 version has new spells as a separate components or all modes components are installed by default? As I know version for EET (4.1, I guess) has optional components to install. Actually I would like to play this mod in my new run but without new spells. Thanks for response in advance!
    Zoltanavr wrote: »
    Hi! Does 1.02 version has new spells as a separate components or all modes components are installed by default? As I know version for EET (4.1, I guess) has optional components to install. Actually I would like to play this mod in my new run but without new spells. Thanks for response in advance!

There is no seperate spell component for this version. Several DS creatures use these new spells.
  • ZoltanavrZoltanavr Member Posts: 41
    @Red_Carnelian thanks for clarification.

It would be great to have separate components in a future as it exists in other versions of the mod.
    DSotSC v1.02 for BGEE and SOD.

Dark Side of the Sword Coast adds many new quests and new NPCs to join your adventures.

This version fixes the introduction screen after meeting Jetlaya and also provides support for the World Map.

Download DSotSC v1.02

Compatibility: I have tested DSotSC with Dark Horizons, NTotSC and The Stone of Askavar with the Worldmap mod installed as well without any issues.

Link broken
  • Dalmir_The_DarkDalmir_The_Dark Member Posts: 40
    Okay, so this is weird. I have been travelling with CuChoinneach for quite some time. I'm doing the Citadel Quest at the moment. And for some reason he will not gain any more XP. He has been stuck at 36,512. Everyone else is gaining XP except for him. I tried going into EE Keeper to see if there was some weird condition on him. He is not level drained. What gives? Is this intentional?
    Full weidu.log because it should be something else.
  • Dalmir_The_DarkDalmir_The_Dark Member Posts: 40
    Guess it doesn't matter anyway. CuChoinneach just bails on the party after we kill Lord Daerthmac and gives us a nifty little scroll telling us what great adventures we are.
    Guess it doesn't matter anyway. CuChoinneach just bails on the party after we kill Lord Daerthmac and gives us a nifty little scroll telling us what great adventures we are.

It IS possible to keep him if you dump him in another area BEFORE killing Lord Daerthmac. You can then pick him up again. I don't think that you are supposed to do that though.
  • redhand001redhand001 Member Posts: 2
    Is there any other way to acces the BG EE version the link given doesnt work
  • redhand001redhand001 Member Posts: 2
    DSotSC v1.02 for BGEE and SOD.

Dark Side of the Sword Coast adds many new quests and new NPCs to join your adventures.

This version fixes the introduction screen after meeting Jetlaya and also provides support for the World Map.

Download DSotSC v1.02

Compatibility: I have tested DSotSC with Dark Horizons, NTotSC and The Stone of Askavar with the Worldmap mod installed as well without any issues.

I am unable access the download as the link is broken is there an alternative