Skip to content

*IMPORTANT* Regarding Intel Hardware! Driver issues, slow game performance

Comments

• Berserk_AlucardBerserk_Alucard Member Posts: 24
    For me, I go into the folder path:
    C:\Program Files\Beamdog\Games\00766
    You'll see the Baldurs gate enhanced edition.exe. Right click it. Go properties, compatibility tab at the top, check the run in compatibility mode box, and then select windows 95.
    Its a bit different for Windows 7. I have 2 laptops, one with 7 and one with Vista. For the one that worked (win 7), the folder is as follows:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition\Data\00766.
    Do much the same as above, and hopefully that works. If it doesn't work after you've done that, right click the exe and Run as administrator
  • GlorfindelGlorfindel Member Posts: 65

You'll see the Baldurs gate enhanced edition.exe. Right click it. Go properties, compatibility tab at the top, check the run in compatibility mode box, and then select windows 95.
    Its a bit different for Windows 7. I have 2 laptops, one with 7 and one with Vista. For the one that worked (win 7), the folder is as follows:
    Do much the same as above, and hopefully that works. If it doesn't work after you've done that, right click the exe and Run as administrator

I have Windows 7 and tried exactly what you said. It worked. Now I can walk around with less lag. Still a little slow, but smooth now, and maybe I just don't remember how slow we walked in the original many years ago. And it remains to be see what will happen in combat, spells, lots of things going on. We'll see... but thank you very much for that fix because I was about to give up completely.
  • SnowconeofdeathSnowconeofdeath Member Posts: 4
    Changing to windowed mode in .ini file fixed the crash on boot for me. I am running Intel Ivy bridge with integrated GPU on a Lenovo laptop. hope this helps someone :)
  • LilarcorLilarcor Member Posts: 16
    So has any meaningful progress been made on the framerate issue? This thread has kinda diversified a little. Running the game from the .exe in the 00766 folder (win95 compatibility, running as admin) fixes the speed a little until fighting starts. Spent half an hour fighting Mulahey once he threw an entangle out and quit after the experience just became unplayable.

All my drivers are as up to date as I can possibly make them.
  • SkitterbugSkitterbug Member Posts: 3
    I had a playable framerate using the win95 compatability and disabling everything I could through that tab, but with the new patch, the launcher won't even start using these settings - crashes on/before launching.
  • LilarcorLilarcor Member Posts: 16
    I love how the only way this problem can even nearly be gotten around is by disabling as much of Overhaul's input as humanly possible.
  • SkitterbugSkitterbug Member Posts: 3
    I'm disappointed by how buggy this release has been, but am really quite hopeful we'll see a fix. I wonder what the reasoning behind using openGL rather than DirectX was? Doesn't intel not support opengl at all? (i have little, if any idea what any of this entails, so there's probably an explanation)

I have Windows 7 and tried exactly what you said. It worked. Now I can walk around with less lag. Still a little slow, but smooth now, and maybe I just don't remember how slow we walked in the original many years ago. And it remains to be see what will happen in combat, spells, lots of things going on. We'll see... but thank you very much for that fix because I was about to give up completely.
    No worries! I'm just trying to spread the news of how I got it to work for me =) It wasn't me that found this out though, it was someone much earlier in this thread I believe.

That really sucks that the patch has caused more problems though... I'm a bit dissapointed by how many bugs they missed even though they pushed back the release date and did beta testing.. Saying that, it is a big, complicated game. And bringing such an old game up to date for modern machines is always going to have its issues...
  • ibitatoibitato Member Posts: 64

I'm disappointed by how buggy this release has been, but am really quite hopeful we'll see a fix. I wonder what the reasoning behind using openGL rather than DirectX was? Doesn't intel not support opengl at all? (i have little, if any idea what any of this entails, so there's probably an explanation)

Intel support for OpenGL is really "short"
    They , like others , think only of DirectX
    Heck, even GPU manufacturers, like AMD have to patch drivers continously for new OpenGL
    games
    Eventually devs will have to evaluate the DirectX path , but this is no easy issue
    what bugs me is that BG2, PlanetScape : T, and other games I play run smooth on my crappy
    Intel 945 Express chipset
  • eltonbarreleltonbarrel Member Posts: 262
    hi there to all. i try 2 modus operandi:
    baldur.ini:

CREATE TABLE options (
    section string,
    name string,
    value string
    );
    INSERT INTO options ROWS (
    'Window', 'Full Screen', '1',
    'MOVIES', 'INTRO', '1',
    'Game Options', 'Footsteps', '1',
    'Game Options', 'Memory Level', '100',
    'Game Options', 'Mouse Scroll Speed', '36',
    'Game Options', 'GUI Feedback Level', '5',
    'Game Options', 'Locator Feedback Level', '3',
    'Game Options', 'Bored Timeout', '3000',
    'Game Options', 'Always Dither', '0',
    'Game Options', 'Subtitles', '1',
    'Game Options', 'Keyboard Scroll Speed', '36',
    'Game Options', 'Command Sounds Frequency', '2',
    'Game Options', 'Selection Sounds Frequency', '3',
    'Game Options', 'Effect Text Level', '62',
    'Game Options', 'Infravision', '0',
    'Game Options', 'Weather', '0',
    'Game Options', 'Tutorial State', '1',
    'Game Options', 'Attack Sounds', '1',
    'Game Options', 'Auto Pause State', '0',
    'Game Options', 'Auto Pause Center', '1',
    'Game Options', 'Difficulty Level', '2',
    'Game Options', 'Quick Item Mapping', '1',
    'Game Options', 'Environmental Audio', '1',
    'Game Options', 'Heal Party on Rest', '1',
    'Game Options', 'Terrain Hugging', '0',
    'Game Options', 'HP Over Head', '1',
    'Game Options', 'Critical Hit Screen Shake', '1',
    'Game Options', 'Hotkeys On Tooltips', '1',
    'Game Options', 'Area Effects Density', '50',
    'Game Options', 'Duplicate Floating Text', '1',
    'Game Options', 'Tiles Precache Percent', '10',
    'Game Options', 'Pausing Map', '0',
    'Game Options', 'Extra Feedback', '0',
    'Game Options', 'Filter Games', '1',
    'Game Options', 'All Learn Spell Info', '1',
    'Graphics', 'OpenGL Version', '1',
    'Program Options', 'Font Name', '',
    'Program Options', 'Double Byte Character Support', '0',
    'Program Options', 'Drop Capitals', '0',
    'Program Options', '3D Acceleration', '1',
    'Program Options', 'Maximum Frame Rate', '60',
    'Program Options', 'Path Search Nodes', '16000',
    'Program Options', 'Tooltips', '20',
    'Program Options', 'Translucent Shadows', '0',
    'Program Options', 'Sprite Mirror', '1',
    'Program Options', 'Gamma Correction', '0',
    'Program Options', 'Brightness Correction', '0',
    'Program Options', 'Backwards Compatible 3d', '0',
    'Program Options', 'Volume Movie', '90',
    'Program Options', 'Volume Music', '40',
    'Program Options', 'Volume Voices', '100',
    'Program Options', 'Volume Ambients', '40',
    'Program Options', 'Volume SFX', '80',
    'Window', 'x', '128',
    'Window', 'y', '96',
    'Window', 'w', '1055',
    'Window', 'h', '798',
    ', ', ', ', ',
    ',
    ', ', ', ', '
    );
    ',
    'MOVIES', 'BLACKPIT', '1'
    );

colors su 16 bit
    Triple buffer disabled
    retrocompatible with windows 95 (last 3 choose)

play normally amd zooming with touchpad. semms like it works!!!!!
    resolution decrease automatically, so gaming wil be much more speed up!
    community, do you try?
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862

@Nathan - GOT IT. Win XP Service Pack 2, not 3, did it. WOOT. Thanks

Weird, i got SP3 and it works.

• Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    edited December 2012
    pablomni said:

Hi Nathan, I'm from Argentina (language spanish) and my problem is I lose quality texts to be unreadable. See links please:

Blurry text: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/8405/read-before-posting-master-technical-faq
    See the part about The fonts are extremely blurry.

[WARNING, POSSIBLE SOLUTION FOR SLOW MAGIC]

Hi All again,
    You all, of course, know how to make the game run a bit faster with these tweaks
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/151938/#Comment_151938

But comment from @darkblade94 forced me to another round of tweak-system-and-check-the-game steps.
    1) Change Memory Level to 100 in your .ini file
    'Game Options', 'Memory Level', '100',
    2) Change Maximum Frame Rate to 60
    'Program Options', 'Maximum Frame Rate', '60',
    2) Change your Color Depth to 16bit. On Windows 7 Right Click on Desktop -> Screen Resolution -> Advanced Settings -> Monitor (tab) -> Colors -> High Color (16 bit)

Start the game and see how the magic spells work. Usually, I'm just starting the Black Pits campaign and checking how fast those magic circles are. It is working much faster for me now, but yeah, I know, 16 bit makes your monitor look like a crap.

Let me know if you like the fix.

this, with the ohter suggested fixes,made the game playable for me on
    an Intel 945GM Express chipset.
  • Duomaxwell647Duomaxwell647 Member Posts: 3
    I tried looking through the comments and havent found anything quite like what im experiencing. I have Intel HD Graphics 3000 on a Windows 7 64-bit laptop and I keep getting the white screen at the beginning and the edges of the maps repeat, also when im inside say the Inn in Candlekeep it still shows Candlekeep outside the map of the inn rooms, also I cant get the outlines on NPCs/Players/Enemies to show up or the oulines on interactable objects. Ive tried the modify the .ini file as suggested but it has caused flickering in the overlapping edges of my maps

I tried looking through the comments and havent found anything quite like what im experiencing. I have Intel HD Graphics 3000 on a Windows 7 64-bit laptop and I keep getting the white screen at the beginning and the edges of the maps repeat, also when im inside say the Inn in Candlekeep it still shows Candlekeep outside the map of the inn rooms, also I cant get the outlines on NPCs/Players/Enemies to show up or the oulines on interactable objects. Ive tried the modify the .ini file as suggested but it has caused flickering in the overlapping edges of my maps

For the flickering change to windowed mode (or alt-enter in the game)
  • onkelosuppoonkelosuppo Member Posts: 12
    @Duomaxwell647
    I was having the same issue. Upating the Intel driver solved it.
  • Duomaxwell647Duomaxwell647 Member Posts: 3
    ibitato said:

For the flickering change to windowed mode (or alt-enter in the game)
    For one windows shortcuts arent working for me, two is windowed hasnt fixed it for me
  • Boston1112Boston1112 Member Posts: 19
    ibitato said:

Sort of +1. I have an Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family. The changes made the game playable. However, in my case it's still not a permanent solution: area of effect spells (like fireball) slow the game down quite a bit. I'm fairly certain that large battles are going to end up being unplayable.

Still, it's progress. Also, I have say thanks to bg_secret_lover. You really are working wonders for all of us who are struggling just to enjoy the game! Needless to say, I'm certain that we all really appreciate it!

ibitato said:

Sort of +1. I have an Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family. The changes made the game playable. However, in my case it's still not a permanent solution: area of effect spells (like fireball) slow the game down quite a bit. I'm fairly certain that large battles are going to end up being unplayable.

Still, it's progress. Also, I have say thanks to bg_secret_lover. You really are working wonders for all of us who are struggling just to enjoy the game! Needless to say, I'm certain that we all really appreciate it!
    at least we can do some exploration while the devs help us out ;)
  • P0dbiP0dbi Member Posts: 19
    Hello,

I've got the same problem as many of you. I'm running the game on my notebook with Intel Chipset Graphics Cards M4500M and the game is very slow and because of it unplayable.
    Unfortunately I wasn't able to actualize my drivers because oficial drivers from the Intel website are not approved in validation (I've got a HP notebook). There are no newer drivers for my graphics on HP website.
    I've tried the compatibility modes and modifications in my Baldur.ini file but so far with no luck. :-(
    I hope there will be some solution. In the meantime I'm gonna try actualize my graphic card's drivers somehow.
  • RecilRecil Member Posts: 46
    Basically I'm back to where I can play, but only after uninstalling and reinstalling with the beamdog client, applying the many .ini fixes by darkblade, fiddling with my windows settings, and being patient in-between. While terribly unimpressed by the enhanced 16bits graphics I'm going to have to live with in order to play the game--1st world problems.
    After updating my drivers (I had to uninstall older HP drivers with "Device Manager", restart PC and then install newer drivers form Intel website), making changes in Baldur.ini file and setting the compatibility mode to Windows 95 the game runs faster but it is still little bit frustrating when moving on the map or do some fighting.... I'm going to wait for some patch or fix.
  • JoeWalkerJoeWalker Member Posts: 75
    P0dbi said:

After updating my drivers (I had to uninstall older HP drivers with "Device Manager", restart PC and then install newer drivers form Intel website), making changes in Baldur.ini file and setting the compatibility mode to Windows 95 the game runs faster but it is still little bit frustrating when moving on the map or do some fighting.... I'm going to wait for some patch or fix.

Same here, Everything I've tried still doesn't make it enjoyable to play. I'm just gonna wait for a patch which will hopefully sort out the lagging and videos.
    P0dbi said:

set color depth in desktop to 16bit
    it will give an extra help
    ibitato said:

P0dbi said:

set color depth in desktop to 16bit
    it will give an extra help
    Thank you, I will try it and see what it can do.
  • FredFred Member Posts: 1
    Unfortunately the suggested solutions doesnt work at all. The game is still unplayable. This is very disappointing. So, is there any way to get my money back?
  • ST4TICStrikerST4TICStriker Member Posts: 162
    Fred said:

Unfortunately the suggested solutions doesnt work at all. The game is still unplayable. This is very disappointing. So, is there any way to get my money back?

Whats you're config?
    You need to surpass the requirements to get a refund.

I said earlier that I got mine working. While it does run a lot quicker than it did at first, it still massively slows down when a lot of spell animations are going on at once. I got to Neera's first encounter and thought it would be a good idea to cast Entangle on the enemies. It slowed down to almost unplayable levels...
    Does anyone have a way to get around this? I've tried setting it to 16Bit and that didn't work.
    What I don't get is how the GOG version can run perfectly on my laptop which has Intel graphics chip. Can anyone explain that?
  • albinocobraalbinocobra Member Posts: 56
    @Allen63 I agree with you. And because of this I'm pretty sure that either they will find a workaround in a month or two, or the community will solve this. One of the great things about BG is that it has the single best community I've ever seen in a game. Both polite, interactive, persistent and constructive. It's the biggest reason this game is still alive, all these years later.