Skip to content

*IMPORTANT* Regarding Intel Hardware! Driver issues, slow game performance

Comments

• darthchairdarthchair Member Posts: 191
    @Tenacious1 It sounds like your laptop is running the Khalid Edition.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    @Tenacious1 They just patched the game.
  • PeteAtomsPeteAtoms Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 140

@Tenacious1 They just patched the game.

Yep. My mouse cursor was doing that Houdini thing in the Inventory Screen until the patch added the new Hardware Mouse option. I unchecked that, and the problem seems to have been remedied so far. The mouse feels a little sluggish though, but it makes the game playable :)
  • onkelosuppoonkelosuppo Member Posts: 12

Does this mean BGEE won't work on one of those new Windows 8 Ultrabooks with Intel HD 4000 GPUs?
    […]

It'll work. I am playing it on a HD4000 from a 35W Ivy Bridge. Initially I couldnt start the game. That was solved by hitting Alt+Enter when starting, to make it run in windowed mode. Then I can switch back to fullscreen. Also I had the problems with graphic glitches. But that was solved by downloading the latest driver Intel provided in October. Be sure to download it directly from Intel though. It runs like a charm now. Eveb on battery + power saved mode, where the HD 4000 reduces its clocks dramatically.
    In a nutshell: From what I read it's more problematic with older Intel GPU chipsets.
  • JoeWalkerJoeWalker Member Posts: 75
    Where can I find the patch?
  • ibitatoibitato Member Posts: 64
    JoeWalker said:

Where can I find the patch?

run the loader it will auto patch
  • grimace455grimace455 Member Posts: 1
    Intel T4300 2.10GHZ
    GMA 4500MHD Driver 8.15.10.1883

.ini edit didn't work and Intel and HP have drivers listed as up to date. Have same chop chop issue on intro movie.
  • darkblade94darkblade94 Member Posts: 6
    edited December 2012

Intel T4300 2.10GHZ
    GMA 4500MHD Driver 8.15.10.1883

.ini edit didn't work and Intel and HP have drivers listed as up to date. Have same chop chop issue on intro movie.

@grimace455 have you tried this?

Color depth set to 16 bit
    Triple buffer disabled
    Win 95 Compatibility mode (and the last 3 options checked)

Recil said:

I'm on a macbook 2,1 (Mid 2007) with intel gma945 inegrated graphics (latest drivers, which is to say, the last ones they bothered putting out) running windows 8 release preview on boot camp and...this made the game playable. I'm not sure which if not all of the settings did the trick, because I just did them all at once (not very methodical, I know). It is still slow at times, the graphics are extremely low quality, but the fact I can play this game at all is a huge improvement over yesterday. Big thanks are in order.

@Recil I'm happy this works for you, indeed the solution is to apply all the 3 settings at once.

If someone has doubts on how to disable the triple buffer, here is a quick guide:

right click on desktop --> Graphic options (or something similar) , then it should appear a blue window with the Intel logo.
    now click on 3d options and you should come across the Open-gl window.
    from here you can disable the triple buffer option (you can also disable the anisotropic filter, its the last option)

Also, if you don't know how to set the color quality to 16 bits:

right click on desktop --> Graphic options (or something similar) , then it should appear a blue window with the Intel logo.
    Then, click on Screen Settings, from here you can modify the color quality, the resolution and the update frequency.

if you still have doubts don't hesitate to ask.

and sorry for my English, i'm Italian :)
    I downloaded the new patch via Beamdog and it did nothing. The game and videos still lag very badly. More so when there is magic/water.

I'm using: Acer Aspire 7741Z (Win7)
    Intel Pentium P6200 (2.13GHz, 3MB L3 cache)
    Intel HD Graphics
    3GB DDR3 Memory
    500 GB HDD

Any suggestions?
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    @JoeWalker

I have an an acer aspire 5738. Acer need to update their drivers and quick sending forceful (not nasty) email to acer as we speak... Pull your finger out acer other machines can run this bug free!

What helped for me was run BGEE in 95 compatability mode, turn off triple buffering, put openGL to 1 as seen in other parts of this thread. Movies don't work, but it is kinda, just abouta, playable...

Sucks I know. But all things have teething issues. Patches have already been released. Pretty positive there will be more... And more they fix now... The less bugs in BG:EE2 and BG:EE3 !
  • excellent_todayexcellent_today Member Posts: 5
    A new patch is available through the launcher, BUT it does not fix the major Intel compatibility problem; very disappointing. Almost can't believe this problem wasn't fixed before release, as a large percentage of computers use Intel. Everything from Command & Conquer 1 to Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion runs on my Vaio (Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit, Intel Series 4 Chipset Family), but Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition does not. Every tweak I have attempted has made absolutely no difference to the extreme in-game lag.

Nathan; can you please give us an estimate as to when a permanent fix will be provided? If this problem isn't fixed, it will likely prevent many potential customers from purchasing Shadows of Amn: Enhanced Edition next year.
  • darkblade94darkblade94 Member Posts: 6
    Anduin said:

@JoeWalker

I have an an acer aspire 5738. Acer need to update their drivers and quick sending forceful (not nasty) email to acer as we speak... Pull your finger out acer other machines can run this bug free!

What helped for me was run BGEE in 95 compatability mode, turn off triple buffering, put openGL to 1 as seen in other parts of this thread. Movies don't work, but it is kinda, just abouta, playable...

Sucks I know. But all things have teething issues. Patches have already been released. Pretty positive there will be more... And more they fix now... The less bugs in BG:EE2 and BG:EE3 !

As I said earlier, in addition to the 95 mode and the other things, you guys should also try the 16 bit trick... it made a great change in performance for me.
  • NecdilzorNecdilzor Member Posts: 279
    I'm also waiting patiently for the Intel graphic cards fix, I launched the game, created a character but it lags and has some graphical issues. Please do your best to fix it, we really want to play :D
    Thanks Anduin, I have been playing in in compatibilty mode win 95 and that helped a lot, I'll try the other tweaks too.

Do you think a patch will be released soon to fix the problem on Acer laptops?

• CzarnyCzarny Member Posts: 42
    edited December 2012
    Whaddya know, it's alive!

Downloading a massive 300mb driver for my graphics card worked like a charm. Warming up with some Black Pits action (does that... sound right?...) before moving onto the main story. Giddy :D

Thanks a lot guys! And good luck with your own issues, I'm sure sooner or later a solution will reveal itself.
  • Hey everyone,

I just wanted to tell you about the problems i had, and the solution i found.

So i had the same problem as many : dowload and install went fine, but the intro movie wouldnt work. I could create a character but as soon as i clicked "done" after the text intro, the game would crash (with the "CRASHAPP" notifications, as many experienced).

I have a Hp pavilion dv6, with switchable graphics cards (an intel HD and an AMD 6700).

I did a lot of stuff advised on forums (baldur.ini modifications, compatibility stuff...), but nothing worked. I found out that the openGL thing wouldnt let BGEE use the AMD graphic card, even if i told my computer to do so (with the catalyst control panel). This means that my computer try to use the intel chipset when playing BGEE, and thats why its crashing. I also discovered that it was possible to switch from dynamic use of the graphic cars, to a fixe mode (this means, i guess, that my computer will only use one graphic card, and won't switch from the intel one to the AMD one anymore). In order to do so i had to update my BIOS version.

So i did, i also updated my AMD card drivers (on the hp site), and then i selected "fixe mode" in the BIOS panel.

That was nearly 48 hours ago. I've been pretty busy since, trying to find whats new south of the baldur's gate. Oh Minsk, i've missed you so much, you and your little fella...

I guess this will only work for hp users, with switchable graphics cards. I dont even know if some of you still have that kind of problem, but if you do, try it up guys.

Cheers from Paris, and sorry for my bad english !
    edited December 2012
    @joewalker I believe an all in one intel fix will be the solution. OpenGL to DirectX? Who knows? I doubt an acer fix will be upcoming, contacting acer is just another avenue to try.

I will faint if acer contact me with a solution... And if that solution works, I will be forced to burn my ipad in front of my laptop and make a sacred vow to purchase acer products for all eternity...
  • jttm80jttm80 Member Posts: 3
    ibitato said:

jttm80 said:

Desktop PC
    Intel i7 3.2G
    nvidia GTX480 (latest drivers)
    Win 7 64bit

Problem: Game crashes at start. Only a black screen and nothing else.
    Not even Ctrl-Alt-Del works.

try running baldur.exe directly with admin rights and 95 comaptibility enabled
    Still the exact same crash. Screen goes black and nothing.
    Running on XP sp3, the game won't even launch using the Windows 95 compatibility option.
    edited December 2012
    I made a bad...

I said acer used a different (earlier intel driver) computer manufacturer driver for their intel gma 4500 mhd.

It has been pointed out to me, that updating through the acer drivers does in fact use the latest, and same intel driver for the mobile Intel 4 chipset family... In fact all drivers on my computer are the latest apart from wifi...

acer can't really help more... This corridor of the nashkel mine ended with a wall... The search for an intel and openGL solution does not end here... The quest continues...

On a plus note... My windows experience index went up from 3.3 to 3.4 :)
  • VedwintheTyrantVedwintheTyrant Member Posts: 50
    I too have game play issues. I too am able to ameliorate them somewhat with the workarounds in this thread. I too would like to see a patch which addresses this issue.
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    edited December 2012

[WARNING, POSSIBLE SOLUTION FOR SLOW MAGIC]

Hi All again,
    You all, of course, know how to make the game run a bit faster with these tweaks
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/151938/#Comment_151938

But comment from @darkblade94 forced me to another round of tweak-system-and-check-the-game steps.
    1) Change Memory Level to 100 in your .ini file
    'Game Options', 'Memory Level', '100',
    2) Change Maximum Frame Rate to 60
    'Program Options', 'Maximum Frame Rate', '60',
    2) Change your Color Depth to 16bit. On Windows 7 Right Click on Desktop -> Screen Resolution -> Advanced Settings -> Monitor (tab) -> Colors -> High Color (16 bit)

Start the game and see how the magic spells work. Usually, I'm just starting the Black Pits campaign and checking how fast those magic circles are. It is working much faster for me now, but yeah, I know, 16 bit makes your monitor look like a crap.

Let me know if you like the fix.

Thanks. This does give some improvement, though it's still far from perfect. The game still has considerable stuttering for me. A bit like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxtS7bVtr28

I think I may just wait on a proper solution until I try playing the game properly. It's still not within tolerable levels for me.
  • TurinTurin Member Posts: 42
    The two things that seem to make the difference for me are switching to Win95 compatibility mode and setting my color quality to 16 bit. I did many of the other things too but without noticable effect.

For me, regular walking speed seems to be just about what it should be now, but with still quite some lagging when spells are being thrown about, and the videos are still choppy.
  • elfuegoelfuego Member Posts: 28
    You guys should be happy that you even have the game up and running... Even with stuttering. I cant even start it. I am even getting envious of the guy that cant start it, but at least has something in his crash dump files.
  • Berserk_AlucardBerserk_Alucard Member Posts: 24
    Updating my drivers from the Intel website and running in Win95 compatibility mode were the main things that helped me get it running. So happy to get it working!
    Does the Windows 95 Compatibility mode only work on Vista/7? When I check that option in XP, the game .exe doesn't do anything.
  • RecilRecil Member Posts: 46
    wull that's frustrating...the patch installed and now it ctd immediately on launch.
  • excellent_todayexcellent_today Member Posts: 5
    No; I have Windows Vista. Have been trying to run the game with Windows 95 Compatibility, but the game won't even start. In fact, using any compatibility mode except Windows XP / Windows 2003 makes the game not start at all. When using XP / 2003 compatibility, the game starts, but still has exactly the same severe lag issues as with Vista.

How do you get the game to start when using Windows 95 compatibility?
  • PieterPieter Member Posts: 1
    Downloading new drivers did the trick for me. No slowness, movies work, everything is fine.
  • ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036

Nathan; can you please give us an estimate as to when a permanent fix will be provided? If this problem isn't fixed, it will likely prevent many potential customers from purchasing Shadows of Amn: Enhanced Edition next year.

A real fix most certainly involves coding a DirectX renderer, which will definitely take more than a few days, if they end up doing it.