Skip to content

*IMPORTANT* Regarding Intel Hardware! Driver issues, slow game performance

Comments

• TieokenTieoken Member Posts: 23
    I installed the game onto my desktop and it worked without a hitch, everyone else I know who went from laptop to desktop got the game installed and up and running without any laggs or glitches at all (Though we all found a door in the Friendly Arm in that was showed as open but clicked as close and vice versa o.O) You just have to have read any of my other comments to see how furious and unforgiving I was of Beamdog, but trust after having played the game for about an hour, it is sheer perfection. Do NOT give up brothers and sisters.
  • MoiraMoira Member Posts: 173
    @Lemon
    So did I get it correctly, you start the game, the video doesn't work but you can click your way through it and then the game freezes? Or later? Also, did the game work for you before or is this the furthest you've gotten in the game?

Have you tried the ALT+Enter trick described here?
  • hieronimhieronim Member Posts: 6
    i ahve also problem but i turn on triple buffering and turn off synchronic. Right click on the screen control panel invidia 3d effects configurations. And do what i said upper and magicly ur game will works. GG anyone here knows how to tell me incresse fps in game?
  • legopaidilegopaidi Member Posts: 6
    So has anyone with an Intel GPU actually played the game on a laptop? Without crashes and bugs?
    i have played as i have said upper with that configuration works fine, I just only wonder how to incresse game speed like most other people
  • KingGhidorahKingGhidorah Member Posts: 201
    legopaidi said:

So has anyone with an Intel GPU actually played the game on a laptop? Without crashes and bugs?

Partially.
    Cinematics are still poor and the game lags a bit at AoE spells like entangle. Nevertheless it is perfectly playabale now.

Like another poster stated earlier, make sure that:
    - Your intel card uses the latest driver
    - Your baldur.exe is set to win95 compatibility mode (the one in the data directory, not the launcher)

Good luck.
  • MoiraMoira Member Posts: 173
    hieronim said:

I just only wonder how to incresse game speed like most other people

Have you tried these?
    nah i have meant how to incresse from 30fps to 45 game works smooth
  • legopaidilegopaidi Member Posts: 6

legopaidi said:

Partially.
    Cinematics are still poor and the game lags a bit at AoE spells like entangle. Nevertheless it is perfectly playabale now.

Like another poster stated earlier, make sure that:
    - Your intel card uses the latest driver
    - Your baldur.exe is set to win95 compatibility mode (the one in the data directory, not the launcher)

Good luck.
    Unfortunately that doesn't seem to work in my case
  • NecdilzorNecdilzor Member Posts: 279

AHF said:

Ignatius said:

AHF said:

Is this something you do in the control panel or in the properties file for Baldur.exe? Sorry for the tech ignorance!

AHF, go over the file Baldur.exe, right-click, select "Properties", then go in the Compatibility section and set it to Windows 95 (+ tick the other options as indicated in posts above).
    I switched it but to no avail. The strange graphic remains:

Hi there I got same problem like your problem but I've fixed it so if you still got this video bug,you can fix this = active OpenGL mode in Baldur.ini by adding "OpenGL version" in Baldur.ini so this look like :

(1) \Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\Baldur.ini set to:

INSERT INTO options ROWS ( 'Graphics', 'OpenGL Version', '1',
    'Window', 'Full Screen', '1',

---> Save it and start the game.
    Dear god, I got the game running thanks to you! So excited! :D

• LemonLemon Member Posts: 3
    @Moira
    Moira said:

@Lemon
    So did I get it correctly, you start the game, the video doesn't work but you can click your way through it and then the game freezes? Or later? Also, did the game work for you before or is this the furthest you've gotten in the game?

Have you tried the ALT+Enter trick described here?

I have started it in window mode to see if that would help and no luck. I'm reinstalling right now in hopes of it working. Video between Play Baldur's Gate button and Single Player/Multiplayer options is just a couple weird boxes, but I can get through it. I can choose characters, whether in single or multiplayer, and start. It goes through the intro text/voice storyline part, but as soon as I push done to continue, I hear a split second of music and then it freezes with the dialog box mentioned before.
  • SeranSeran Member Posts: 28
    I have a VAIO with an Intel HD Graphics 3000 chipset inside running on Windows 7 x64. Installed latest drivers from Sony, put baldur.exe in windows 95 compatibility, turned off visual effects and it seems to work flawlessly for now.

My problems were
    - the screen flickered when I started the game (Not a big deal)
    - there was garbage over the black (empty) areas (Again, not a big deal)
    - Could not see selection (That includes character circles at their feet, lootables and traps)

Did not have trouble with the cinematics or speed at all. If anyone else had the same problem I'd recommend trying the windows 95 compatibility trick.

So far all fixed.
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    edited November 2012
    Nathan said:

@HaHaCharade that sounds like my PC at home! Only without the problem. If you right click on baldur.exe directly in the directory, and set the compatibility mode to... Windows XP, maybe, does that solve anything? Furthermore, are your drivers all up-to-date from http://game.amd.com/

Finally after 24 hours I was able to get the game fully re-loaded. Won't open. Just churns for a moment (hourglass) and stops. AMD Drivers are updated, tried compatibility mode on older OS... I don't get it man. Tried about everything I can think of.

AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series, Chip Type: ATI Display Adapter (0x6719), Windows 7 - 64 Bit, Intel i7 990x 3.4 Ghz

Went into my Catalyst Control Center... tried disabling Crossfire on my Graphics Cards... nothing. (Have 2 of them). Changed all settings to Application Enabled, so it would use Baldur's Gate's implied settings... zilch.

Blah.

• Knuckles217Knuckles217 Member Posts: 5
    Man, this is such crap. Good thing I pre-ordered a functionless piece of trash
    @Nathan -- It started... Then I exited and it won't again. WTF. Losing my mind lol... least I had it up once.... ugh!
    @Nathan - GOT IT. Win XP Service Pack 2, not 3, did it. WOOT. Thanks
  • NathanNathan Member Posts: 1,007
    edited November 2012
    @HaHaCharade XP Service Pack 2? wut. Just today I heard a guy tell me that having iTunes open let him run his game. Totally mind blown over here, that's been the weirdest solution I've heard yet.

@Knuckles217 I understand you're frustrated and upset. Please, realize that if you're suffering from a problem for which there is no solution yet, we are 100% working on it. We're a company of about 12 people doing our best to solve all the issues we can. I've finally caught up on my inbox backlog today, and will be going through this thread to try and help people tomorrow.

SO: if you'd like to talk about it more, can you detail what's going on? You can feel free to message me directly if you like.
  • innsmouthinnsmouth Member Posts: 1
    This may only help some but I fixed the problem where the game wouldn't start and with the lag.

These are all my specs:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
    Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
    Other OS Description Not Available
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name JORDANOREILLY
    System Manufacturer Alienware
    System Model M14xR1
    System Type x64-based PC
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2820QM CPU @ 2.30GHz, 2301 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date Alienware A03, 05/05/2011
    SMBIOS Version 2.7
    Windows Directory C:\Windows
    System Directory C:\Windows\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
    Locale Canada
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
    User Name JordanOreilly\Jordan Oreilly
    Time Zone Mountain Standard Time
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
    Total Physical Memory 7.95 GB
    Available Physical Memory 5.58 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 15.9 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 12.4 GB
    Page File Space 7.95 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys

My computer has an integrated graphics card and an Nvidia GT555M
    the system determines when either card is needed depending on the load.
    if you have a setup like this you can go into NVIDIA control panel, manage 3D settings, go into the 00766 folder and add the Baldur.exe file to the program list and choose to run the high performance Nvidia processor.

Run the game through the same file (Baldur.exe) as an administrator and in compatibility mode (VISTA SP1)

the game now consistently works well lag free.

hope this helps someone.
  • KahzemKahzem Member Posts: 2
    Nathan said:

Have any of you tried the community drivers posted in the main thread? Do any of those fix the issues for you guys?

AHF, I got the same result when i switched from 32bit to 16bit. Right click and set your graphics to 32bit

Nathan said:

@HaHaCharade XP Service Pack 2? wut. Just today I heard a guy tell me that having iTunes open let him run his game. Totally mind blown over here, that's been the weirdest solution I've heard yet.

Yup. Compatibility mode has to be XP Service Pack 2 and it runs flawlessly now... Crazy. I def recommend folks to play around with compatibility mode if it won't open at all.
  • MythrialusMythrialus Member Posts: 137
    I had a lot of slow, choppiness, when running the game. The opening cinematic still stutters, but I've got the game running pretty good in full screen now. My laptop setup is as follows:

HP DV9000
    AMD Turion 64 x2 dual core 1.9ghz
    2gb ram
    Nvidia GeForce Go 6150 card
    Windows XP/SP3

I modified the baldur.ini file with the script changes listed in the first post:

INSERT INTO options ROWS (
    'Window', 'Full Screen', '0', 'Graphics', 'OpenGL Version', '1',

and then I modified the nvidia display options to turn off Vertical Sync and Triple Buffering. They've made a big difference in the actual gameplay; runs a lot smoother. The opening cinematic still stutters, but it is watchable.
  • pablomnipablomni Member Posts: 94
    edited November 2012
    Nathan said:

@Knuckles217 I understand you're frustrated and upset. Please, realize that if you're suffering from a problem for which there is no solution yet, we are 100% working on it. We're a company of about 12 people doing our best to solve all the issues we can. I've finally caught up on my inbox backlog today, and will be going through this thread to try and help people tomorrow.

SO: if you'd like to talk about it more, can you detail what's going on? You can feel free to message me directly if you like.

Hi Nathan, I'm from Argentina (language spanish) and my problem is I lose quality texts to be unreadable. See links please:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=J3cYdDbCvDk
  • MuninMunin Member Posts: 95
    It worked. It was beautiful. I was in love. Rolled a charcter last night and played a while, played a little on my lunch today. Tonight, she's dead. White screen. Don't see my saved game anywhere. I have no idea what the hell happened.
  • MZsoltMZsolt Member Posts: 54
    Screen tearing unacceptable on Radeon HD 6470M (and also on like any notebook). That bad scrolling ruin the game, same problem with old BGs. There is no solution. Thanks to take money for that garbage rework.
  • jamie241jamie241 Member Posts: 3
    I have started the game and its just so slow and the video clips are just lagging out, can anyone help me, my computer specifications are -
    SYSTEM INFORMATION
    Computer Manufacturer Sony Corporation
    Computer Model VAIO
    Operating System (O/S) Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1
    Operating System Build (O/S) (build 7601), 64-bit
    Operating System (version) 6.1.7601
    System RAM 4.0 GB
    CD or DVD Device TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-L633F
    System Hard Drive Overview
    System Total Storage Size: 452.7 GB
    Local Disk not detected not detected
    Used space: not detected
    Free Space: not detected
    CHIPSET INFORMATION

Chipset Software Status
    Intel® Chipset Installation File (INF) detected Intel® HM65 Express Chipset Family

Detected Chipset INF Version 9.2.0.1021
    Chipset INF Status This version is valid

Detailed Chipset Information Intel® Chipset Identification Utility
    GRAPHICS INFORMATION
    Graphics Product [1] Intel® Processor Graphics 3000
    Graphics Driver Version not detected
    3D Acceleration Yes
    Hardware Transform & Lighting Support Yes
    Video Memory 1.7 GB
    Vertex Shader Support 4.1
    Pixel Shader Support 4.1
    Microsoft DirectX* Version 11.0
    MOTHERBOARD INFORMATION
    Manufacturer Sony Corporation
    Model VAIO
    AA Number not detected
    BIOS Vendor INSYDE
    BIOS Version INSYDE R0180Z9
    BIOS Release Date 04/28/11
    System Memory 4.0 GB
    Built-in Audio Driver Component not detected
    Built-in Audio Driver Version 8.54.0.53
  • KsliceKslice Member Posts: 1
    Got the game working perfectly after adding to the .ini file/ setting compatibility to Win 95/ Downloading the latest intel graphics card driver

Biggest problem I ran into was getting the driver. Used intels program to detect what driver was needed off their website The .exe version would come back with an error, at first I assumed I had the latest version already. Someone suggested using the .zip version instead (Intel offers the same drivers in a compressed and uncompressed form). After using 7zip to extract the update worked (after blue screening my computer once). Once I got the driver everything started working perfectly, including the cinematics.

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite A505-6005
    Graphics: Intel HD Graphics
  • MuninMunin Member Posts: 95
    Rawi said:

I have Intel graphics (along with 2nd gen i7 proc) and NVidia 550M. Even when I was forcing usage of nvidia card (I could see hardware led indicating that nvidia is in use) I still experienced issues.

However, after updating intel drivers to the latest 15.28.8.64.2875 the game now works fine on both cards, even on intel !

Thank you @Rawi !!!

I looked up the specs on my computer and downloaded the latest drivers. They just happened to be the same number string you mentioned. And I am back in business.

I have no idea what happened. It worked last night and today, and tonight the white screen of death. Maybe some other app changed my resolution or some such crap.

For those who are as tech challenged as I am, if you happen to have a Toshiba it was easy to get the specs from their web site. You need some of that info to get the right files from the Intel driver update site.

Now if you will excuse me, I have mutated gibberlings begging to be skewered.

• jhart1018jhart1018 Member Posts: 909
    edited November 2012
    Just read Gateway's email and it was moderately helpful. They gave me generic instructions on how to install a new driver, so after some trial and error, my wireless works again. Yay. Presumably, I have to do something similar with my graphics driver, but I don't know what I'm looking for or at or whatever. Am I looking to install a new driver for the chipset or the vga (don't even know what that is) or something else entirely?

Windows says my driver is all the way updated, but I don't think I believe it. The number string after the driver (which is just Intel HD graphics) is 8.15.10.2119. I have no idea whether that's anything helpful, and Gateway's website is written for people who know what they're looking for.
  • yellownumber5yellownumber5 Member Posts: 1
    I have an intel 3150 integrated video

Found going into the Intel Grapics driver settings (I was able to get to the intel driver settings under "advanced settings" in the display settings) I was able to turn off anisptropic filtering and set color depth to 16 bit. This made a noticeable difference to the lag, but still not yet fully playable on my netbook.

dual core atom 1.5ghz
  • RecilRecil Member Posts: 46
    I appreciate the added authenticity of emulating my Packard-Bell. It has been a nostalgic couple of days, indeed.