Skip to content

*IMPORTANT* Regarding Intel Hardware! Driver issues, slow game performance

Comments

• EarthlingEarthling Member Posts: 13
    The Win95 fix worked - for a while. It was still a little laggy in some places, but I soldiered on. Even after it took me 33 minutes to cross the Gorian's Ambush screen. Finally, I decide it's time to go to Nashkel and grab Minsc. Get to the map screen, click on an area - screen turns white and PC is locked up. Restart, reload, same thing. I'm now stuck on the Gorian's Ambush screen. Any attempt to leave causes a crash. I can kill 33 minutes by walking across it, but that's about it.

Patiently waiting for a fix...
  • IlldisposedIlldisposed Member Posts: 6
    Quaestor said:

@sandstorm91
    @Nathan

Can confirm that on a HP EliteBook 2730p; Win 7 64bit; Mobile Intel GMA X4500 HD.

Video still choppy, but most in-game lag gone.

(1) \Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\Baldur.ini set to:
    INSERT INTO options ROWS (
    'Graphics', 'OpenGL Version', '1',
    'Window', 'Full Screen', '1',

(2) \Program Files (x86)\BeamDog\Games\00766\Baldur.exe set to:
    Properties > Compatibility
    - Run in compatibility mode for: Windows 95
    - Disable visual themes
    - Disable desktop composition
    - Disable display scaling on high DPI settings

(3) no further tweaks to drivers applied

Not ideal, but at least I can get my party from A to B without dozing off.

This worked for me! Still not great, but at least it's now playable. Been reading these forums for a while, but literally just signed up to offer thanks for that post.
  • QuiqueQuique Member Posts: 62
    Erueleth said:

kaspar91 said:

Erueleth said:

Here it's running, but I can see no circles in the characters and there's no fog of war. It's kind strange...

I had the same problem, install newest graphic card drivers and it will be everything ok .
    I did it. I have installed the newest graphic drivers to run the game. But still the this problem exist...
    Well, updating the drivers fixed it for me but I guess maybe you have an slightly older processor (mine is a B960, barely made it in the intel update with Open GL compatibility), maybe you can try downloading one of the non-official dirvers suggested on the first post of this thread:

http://9xxssf.info/files/ -- 945 etc chipset
    http://teknogods.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=8283 -- GMA4500MHD

Maybe you could try finding out which chipset you have and use the search tool in the forums to find how other users worked aroud it. If the game otherwise runs ok I doubt this is an unfixable issue.
  • no8ectuno8ectu Member Posts: 10
    У меня интегрированная карточка intel, и все жутко тормозит. 3D ускорение не отключить, утилиты нет, ini не помогает. Есть решения? читать столько текста на инглише не могу. Буду благодарен за помощь.
  • jhart1018jhart1018 Member Posts: 909
    I have a Gateway notebook with Intel graphics, NV79C54u, and apparently Intel and Gateway don't get along. I can't download drivers direct from Intel because it gives me a song and dance about custom drivers and I should go through Gateway, but Gateway's site is baffling. With the kind help provided by another poster, I set my compatibility to Windows 95, and it didn't help anything. The lag is still unbelievable. I emailed Gateway support to see if I can get a direct answer about which drivers to install. Maybe that'll help. I'm so frustrated right now. Not at the developers, necessarily, just frustrated by the problem, and I'm sure they are too. In a way, it's probably best that I can't do much besides tweak characters since I have a few more weeks of grading to worry about, but, but, but I've missed Minsc and Boo for so long... :(
  • RawiRawi Member Posts: 7
    @jhart1018 can't you download from http://downloadcenter.intel.com/ ? Select Graphics, then Laptop Graphics Drivers and your processor and you should be able to download latest drivers.
  • danefitchdanefitch Member Posts: 22

Extremely laggy with regards to combat, movement etc. My laptop is an Acer Aspire 5732z with the Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family. Opening movie is similarly unwatchable due to exterme lag.

@CaptainConor - if you get yours working please message me as I also have the Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family and BGEE is running very slowly. Opening video is horrible.
  • bg_secret_loverbg_secret_lover Member Posts: 8
    no8ectu said:

У меня интегрированная карточка intel, и все жутко тормозит. 3D ускорение не отключить, утилиты нет, ini не помогает. Есть решения? читать столько текста на инглише не могу. Буду благодарен за помощь.

Look at my comments from my profile, I have posted a solution that will make the game to run smoother.
    But I bet there a lot of other bugs and crashes in the game.
  • legopaidilegopaidi Member Posts: 6
    Yesterday the game didn't not crash but was lagging as hell. Today after I tried everything (updated drivers, edited ini. files, changed compatibility mode, run as admin ) it immediately crashes! what's going on?????
  • LilarcorLilarcor Member Posts: 16
    Well this is just marvelous. Having attempted to amend baldur.ini and fiddle with the compatibility settings, the game now just won't start at all from the launcher. I've removed what I added to baldur.ini and reset all compatibility issues, no luck. At least before I only had the framerate to contend with. The only thing I can think is that I've done more damage to the .ini than I can see.

This is an absolute shambles from Overhaul. Considering how widely used these graphics cards are it's ridiculous that the game wasn't properly tested. Congratulations on taking a decade-old game, breaking it and then charging $20 a pop for the end result.
  • DrakanDrakan Member Posts: 7
    Game unplayable, framerate is like a snail.
  • legopaidilegopaidi Member Posts: 6
    I'm re-downloading and re-installing to C: this time to see if anything changes.
    I have one (noob) question about the .ini file
    Do spaces between words matter or not?
    I have faith in Beam and OH that they'll sort this out one way or another. I'll give it a week or two and this will be golden.
    @bg_secret_lover - I'm changing my user name to bg_secret_lover_secret_lover if this works.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    I have an aspire 5738
    Intel Core 2 Duo processor T6400
    Intel GMA 4500MHD

Laggy.. unfortunately unplayable. Baldur's Gate Trilogy works fine though? Is their a solution in an update given from Bioware on their releases?
  • LilarcorLilarcor Member Posts: 16
    I'm uninstalling and waiting for a patch before I waste more time on this snake oil. The presence of all the shiny new 3D stuff is not a defence if what you introduce to the mix breaks the game.

...Wow... can't believe how riled this has got me. I suppose I was just expecting more from my favourite videogame series of all time. I feel like someone's taken the kindly old grandfather who raised me to RPG manhood and subjected him to hours of brutal, sadistic torment.

And they made me watch!
  • KingGhidorahKingGhidorah Member Posts: 201

[SOLUTION THAT WORKED OUT FOR ME]

Hi All,
    I have registered just to let you folks know how I solved the laggy problem.

Here is configuration of my laptop.
    Video: Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family

1) Make sure you downloaded and installed the newest drivers from your video card company's website, NOT from your laptop company's website like Dell or Sony. In my case that was
    http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support
    2) Set compatibility mode to Windows 95 for BGEE\Data\00766\Baldur.exe

ONLY in this order and ONLY both steps solved the problem for me.

I hope this helps someone.

My hero!

Fixed the gameplay lagging for me, tho the cinematics still seem sluggish.. don't suppose anyone has found a fix for that too on my Mobile Intel 4 chipset?

[SOLUTION THAT WORKED OUT FOR ME]

Hi All,
    I have registered just to let you folks know how I solved the laggy problem.

Here is configuration of my laptop.
    Video: Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family

1) Make sure you downloaded and installed the newest drivers from your video card company's website, NOT from your laptop company's website like Dell or Sony. In my case that was
    http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support
    2) Set compatibility mode to Windows 95 for BGEE\Data\00766\Baldur.exe

ONLY in this order and ONLY both steps solved the problem for me.

I hope this helps someone.

@bg_secret_lover - After downloading the drivers I get an error message that they're NOT for my laptop...

Not able to paste a picture of the error message, but it reads:

"The driver being installed is not validated for this computer. Please obtain the appropriate driver from the computer manufacturer. Setup will exit."

I'd appreciate any help with this. Thanks.
  • BanskoBansko Member Posts: 3
    WinXPSP2 with Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz (2 CPUs)..can click on PLAY in Mainscreen and IMMEDIATELY appearing a Popup saying Bullshit-Microsoft-has-encountered-a-problem....

Win7-32Bit with Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8700 @ 2.53GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.5GHz..can click on PLAY in Mainscreen and screen disappears...for good...NOTHING ever happens....

Hope the great Baldur Guys can fix it despite the [*"%"*%] Guys at Intel...May Sarevok devour them all if they dont fix that...

Thx Baldur's Gate Team for posting Updates about this issue, highly appreciated! Bansko
  • MoiraMoira Member Posts: 173
    danefitch said:

After downloading the drivers I get an error message that they're NOT for my laptop...

Did you try this already? http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect

I couldn't update my drivers because apparently I have some custom setup, but I still managed to get BGEE to work with the Win95 compatibility. Hopefully it will work for you too!
    @moira - tried the detect as well, no luck. Will try 95 compatibility now.
  • no8ectuno8ectu Member Posts: 10
    edited November 2012

download new drivers + compatibility mode with 95 win, everything works fine! the game and the video!
    спасибо/thanks!

@danefitch
    In addition to enabling the compatibility mode I also used "Disable visual themes", make sure to try that as well if the Win95 isn't enough.
  • DrakanDrakan Member Posts: 7
    From slow choopy framerate to a white square.

Updated my Intel drivers and now on cliking play I only get a white rectangle. At least I can hear the music. Now I cannot even enter the game. From bad to worse. Smashing.

Unplayable. Back to playing my heavily modded 14-year-old BG game.
    @moira - Made both changes, 95 and disable visual themes, black screen now. I'll have to uninstall my current video drivers and reinstall the updated Intel version I think.
    @danefitch
    I saw this about white screen, maybe it could help with black screen as well? ALT+Enter tends to crash my BGEE but apparently it fixes glitches for many. Go figure... Anyway, best of luck!
  • LemonLemon Member Posts: 3
    Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition has stopped working appears right after clicking done to get out of the text for the intro story. I have made the necessary changes listed (fixed baldur.ini, updated driver, run in every compatibility mode available) and I can't seem to get through this screen. Intro video doesn't play, but I click on the blurry screen and it goes through it just fine. Any ideas on fixing this?

Running:
    Windows 8 Pro 64-Bit
    Intel Core 2 Duo P7350 2.00 GHz (laptop is 3 years old)
    Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family updated to the 9.3.0.1026

• ShuruppakShuruppak Member Posts: 26
    My God... another problem?

/o\
  • bg_secret_loverbg_secret_lover Member Posts: 8
    danefitch said:

@bg_secret_lover - After downloading the drivers I get an error message that they're NOT for my laptop...

I had the same problem first time I downloaded them. On a second try they magically passed the validation.

Intel has 2 versions of drivers:
    1) exe with validation
    2) zip archive w/o validation

Try second ones.