Skip to content

Demographics Poll: What is Your Military Status?

2»

Comments

• RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Help? As a former front line officer let me tell you one thing: you were a high priority target.

Modern warfare isn't about body counts, but controlling supply and public opinion and struggling the baddies economy.

That's why we see way more embargos than battles nowadays.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    I tried to enlist, but my knees were so bad due to sports injuries that they passed. I've had family serve in nearly every US war since the French and Indian War.

Which, now that I type it, is the stupidest name for a war ever. It sounds like the French and Indians were fighting each other.
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957
    tbone1 said:

I tried to enlist, but my knees were so bad due to sports injuries that they passed. I've had family serve in nearly every US war since the French and Indian War.

Which, now that I type it, is the stupidest name for a war ever. It sounds like the French and Indians were fighting each other.

I still think the Hundred Years' War is a more stupid name, given that it went on for well over 100 years. And is probably more a series of wars.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    I come from a military background but didn’t enlist. My stepbrother, who introduced me to Baldur’s Gate did though. All 4 of my parents (2 step) served in the military too. Only my step father was in the First gulf war though as a sanitation engineer. “Your shit is my business” was one of his favourite sayings.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207

tbone1 said:

I still think the Hundred Years' War is a more stupid name, given that it went on for well over 100 years. And is probably more a series of wars.
    Nothing beats English calling the second world war, "World War 2". It sounds like a game or a movie. It sounds stupid. For such a huge part of history, it seems odd narrowing its importance down to a number and two letters. Next we'll have World War 2: Reloaded and World War 3: Origins.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    As a kid I never understood why the cold war was called like that. I assumed there was a really cold decade or something and all soldiers were freezing.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    I did civil service as a fireman, actually serving with regular fire fighters in a city fire station after the education for a few months. I had the luxury of being able to choose my assignment, so I chose not to do military service.

I find it interesting that this is even a poll, that military background for yourself or even your old kin (who cares really?) is worthy a poll, as if it's considered a trait of your personality worth keeping statistics on. I never seize to be amazed by the cultural differences between my own country's general population and that of America's. In Sweden, no one would ever bother to bring this up as a topic. People would much more likely define themselves via polls if they are Android or Iphone users or if they prefer Netflix or HBO long, long, looooong before the topic of military background would ever pop up.

I don't think this have to be mentioned, but I will do it anyways just to be sure: the above is not intended as criticism on your cultures, merely a factual observation I find astounding.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Skatan: I made the poll because I noticed multiple forumites in the past mentioning that they had combat experience, and it seemed like a surprising number of people in the community had military experience. I wanted to test that hypothesis.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Skatan said:

I did civil service as a fireman, actually serving with regular fire fighters in a city fire station after the education for a few months. I had the luxury of being able to choose my assignment, so I chose not to do military service.

I find it interesting that this is even a poll, that military background for yourself or even your old kin (who cares really?) is worthy a poll, as if it's considered a trait of your personality worth keeping statistics on. I never seize to be amazed by the cultural differences between my own country's general population and that of America's. In Sweden, no one would ever bother to bring this up as a topic. People would much more likely define themselves via polls if they are Android or Iphone users or if they prefer Netflix or HBO long, long, looooong before the topic of military background would ever pop up.

I don't think this have to be mentioned, but I will do it anyways just to be sure: the above is not intended as criticism on your cultures, merely a factual observation I find astounding.

People with military backgrounds tend to share some characteristics, most notably time management.