Skip to content

Icewind dale or neverwinter

I finally got some extra funds that I'm trying to not spend on the hole in my pocket called art supplies. So I decided to come back to the forgotten realms but should I get icewind dale or neverwinter? Which is better by your opinion, what are the pros and cons of both?

Got those who don't remember me,

I mostly main mages, wild mages, and sorcerers.

I mostly tend I go 4 men deep unless the game as an extensive communication and commentary system between the npc characters that makes them a little more than just meatshields.

I like dragons!

That should be all.
JuliusBorisov

Comments

• BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    If you really mean Neverwinter instead of Neverwinter Nights, that's an MMO like World of Warcraft. You play a single character, grind levels, and hook up with other online players if you want to do instanced content. It's also loaded with microtransactions.
  • Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
    I would definitely suggest Icewind Dale as it's my personal favourite. If you like Baldur's Gate and want to play something similar in game mechanics, but vastly different in storyline and actual gameplay, this is it! You get to make your own custom party (and can play solo if that's what you wish). The vanilla game doesn't offer interactive NPCs, but if you want some good banters in the party, there are IWD NPC mods for that. This game is more combat heavy than Baldur's Gate, and since you can make your own custom party, there are a lot of combinations to add to the replay value. I really enjoyed it.

Neverwinter Nights is... well, a different kind of game. It's great if you want to play multiplayer on servers or custom-created single player modules, and there are a lot of high quality of those available on the Neverwinter Vault to download for free. The official campaigns, well, just to say, I didn't like them at all. The premium modules might be better but I've not yet played them all to comment enough. However, in my opinion, NWN is not the kind of game I personally like. (Maybe I'll have to give it another try someday to see if I enjoy it somehow?)

So, if you would ask me, I'd say Icewind Dale all the way!
    sarevok57gorgonzola
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    edited March 2019
    If you really mean Neverwinter instead of Neverwinter Nights, that's an MMO like World of Warcraft. You play a single character, grind levels, and hook up with other online players if you want to do instanced content. It's also loaded with microtransactions.

I'm not talking about never winter night a and no I'm not talking about it,I played that when it first released in beta and hated it. Only reason I would go back is probably to buy the dragon born race they brought in a few years ago.

Ok I just realized where over messed up, I always get the names of the two games mixed up.im not talking about the mmo, as I said before I played that when it first released. I'm talking about neverwinter nights the single player PC game. @BelgarathMTH
    I would definitely suggest Icewind Dale as it's my personal favourite. If you like Baldur's Gate and want to play something similar in game mechanics, but vastly different in storyline and actual gameplay, this is it! You get to make your own custom party (and can play solo if that's what you wish). The vanilla game doesn't offer interactive NPCs, but if you want some good banters in the party, there are IWD NPC mods for that. This game is more combat heavy than Baldur's Gate, and since you can make your own custom party, there are a lot of combinations to add to the replay value. I really enjoyed it.

Neverwinter Nights is... well, a different kind of game. It's great if you want to play multiplayer on servers or custom-created single player modules, and there are a lot of high quality of those available on the Neverwinter Vault to download for free. The official campaigns, well, just to say, I didn't like them at all. The premium modules might be better but I've not yet played them all to comment enough. However, in my opinion, NWN is not the kind of game I personally like. (Maybe I'll have to give it another try someday to see if I enjoy it somehow?)

So, if you would ask me, I'd say Icewind Dale all the way!

@Rik_Kirtaniya how different is the game play? What edition. Do they use for it?
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,343
    @DragonKing
    Congrats on the funds and the 29. Birthday. Both games are a treat, so good choices.

For NPC’s and dragons I would go for NWN.

The NPC’s are fun and have nice quests in most chapters. Banters are not that frequent - but compaired to zero npc’s in IWD, NWN is a clear winner.

Dragonwise NWN is another clear winner. There a loads of dragons in NWN and a double dragon fight!!!

NWN uses the 3. edition times, whilst IWD uses 2. Edition times. The 3ed rules are really something else compaired to 2ed rules. I am not saying they are bad, but really something else. You should google the 3ed rules and decide if you can cope with the changes. If you can cope with 3ed rules - pick NWN and be glad that you can look forward to play IWD another time.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Haha, that depends on who you're asking. Ask in this forum section, and you most likely will get more IWD votes.

Ask in https://forums.beamdog.com/categories/neverwinter-nights, and it will be the opposite.

The games are very different, it's impossible to choose.
    Flashburn
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Icewind Dale. Infinity Engine's combat mechanics is too precious to pass up, the scenario and story are immersive and unforgettable. It's dungeon-crawling oriented but definitely worth it!

As for NWN,I do like it and 3rd edition offers different options for class and combat mechanics, but in the original campaign you can only choose one henchman at a time and there isnt that much interaction with them. I would add that NWN isn't and will never be BG's sucessor because its essencenis quite different.
  • SkitiaSkitia Member Posts: 1,054
    edited March 2019
    There are a lot of great NWN multiplayer servers where you can immerse yourself in actual roleplaying of a character in a very immersive level. I've tried a few, Ravenloft, Arelith, and others, and they are all quite enjoyable for limitless hours.

If you like to be creative, it's toolset is far easier to work with than modding the Infinity Engine, and can be a tool for you to craft your own stories.

The campaign is eh. The Hordes of the Underdark is pretty fun though, as well as the premium modules, and they are worth a try.

Icewind Dale is more action based than Baldur's Gate. If you liked that part of the game more, then Icewind Dale might be more appealing, and I do love the series, especially Icewind Dale 2. But for me personally my choice would be NWN.
    DJKajuru wrote: »
    Icewind Dale. Infinity Engine's combat mechanics is too precious to pass up, the scenario and story are immersive and unforgettable. It's dungeon-crawling oriented but definitely worth it!

As for NWN,I do like it and 3rd edition offers different options for class and combat mechanics, but in the original campaign you can only choose one henchman at a time and there isnt that much interaction with them. I would add that NWN isn't and will never be BG's successor because its essencenis quite different.
    I guess I also should be said being a by successor can't really all that important, as long as there is strong game play.

• megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    ice wind dale is more a dungeon crawler then the rest of the ie games. if you care about story and don't want to use the npc project mods that add party members with banters and the like which do help the repetitive nature of the iwd games, i'd say go with nwn.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    edited March 2019
    NWNEE includes the Hordes of the Underdark module which I had a blast with back in the day. You can really have fun designing your character into a weapon of destruction! So many ways to plan a character with 3 potential classes/prestige classes to choose from. I won't spoil it for you, but so many of the classes have potential synergies it's like "what should I sacrifice?", instead of a "this is the ultimate build so let's do it every time". My personal favorite was a druid/monk/shifter build for ultimate asskicking, but I had loads of fun designing the ultimate mage too. I also had a great time with a Rogue/Shadowdancer/Weaponmaster as well...
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    IMO you are asking quantity over quality.

If you are use to IE games, then IWD. Great dungeon crawler, good story, make and control your own party kinda deal. It's quality gaming.

NWN gets you quantity. The original campaign was subpar. The two expansions were better, but nothing really that memorable (Deekin notwithstanding) . One or two "henchmen" max for your party (unless you MP) that you do not get full control over. 3e rules, which may or may not be to your liking. That said, there is a plethora of fan created content and multiplayer servers that will stretch your limited funds to the max if you take advantage of them.

That said, if you wait till about Easter (starting April 21) they will probably be on sale on gog and steam and you can probably get both for the price of one. Don't quote me on this though, it is more speculation but you waited this long to play the games, what's an extra month.
    Thanks for all the replies, @deltago year i have waited this long, for quite a few games actually including DOS 2,SShadowrun Hong Kong, and a few other tbs and rts

There just isn't enough time in the world.
  • Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
    @DragonKing The Spring Sale on GOG has started. Now might be a good time to get them for a much lower price!
    JuliusBorisov
  • ElysianEchoesElysianEchoes Member Posts: 475
    If you like dragons, in Never Winter Nights, the druid can turn into one at higher levels! Or an even better one with levels of a "prestige class" called Master of Many Forms. Or take a class that slowly turns you into a half dragon.

Anyway, Icewind Dale, I feel, is more about strategy. It has a pretty ok story, but it plays out mostly the same regardless of the party you build. The fun comes in having complete control up to six custom characters in a game designed to be played that way. You can come up with so many cool strategies for making it through that story.

Where Icewind Dale sports a variety of character combinations, NWN has a flexible variety of class combinations, but you mostly have just one character. You can get up to a party of four, kinda. You get one summon at a time, one henchman, and one familiar if you take a class that grants one. You can give them orders in dialogue that adjusts their AI, and you can possess your familiar in leau (sp?) of controlling your main character temporarily. But mostly, they do their own thing like another mentioned earlier. However, you'll never find a fighter/bard/red dragon disciple in ID.

If you like crafting a unique, strategic party, I'd go with ID. If you like crafting a unique single character, I'd say NWN.
    BelgarathMTH
    @ElysianEchoes AFAIK in NWN thw feat that turns druid into dragon requires Wisdom 27 or something , therefore cannot be achieved before level 30+ :/
    edited March 2019
    You're right, @DJKajuru . It takes 30 wisdom, and an epic feat, to get Dragon Shape. If one starts at 18 wisdom, 10 levels druid, and shifter from there on, and pumps all stat boosts, epic feats, and bonus epic feats into Wisdom, one can get 30 wisdom by total level 28, meaning dragon shape can be taken at total level 29 with the shifter bonus feat. I guess it isn't all that practical, after all. The only module for reaching that level is HotU, I guess. But it maybe could be enjoyed on an epic rp pw?

Edit: I guess I was thinking of 3.5 Master of Many Forms, which just gets the feat without the wisdom requirement.
    Post edited by ElysianEchoes on
    @deltago @Balrog99 @Belgarath @JuliusBorisov

Here is a question, which one has more useful invocation magic?

If you like dragons, in Never Winter Nights, the druid can turn into one at higher levels! Or an even better one with levels of a "prestige class" called Master of Many Forms. Or take a class that slowly turns you into a half dragon.
    I think we have a wi...

You're right, @DJKajuru . It takes 30 wisdom, and an epic feat, to get Dragon Shape. If one starts at 18 wisdom, 10 levels druid, and shifter from there on, and pumps all stat boosts, epic feats, and bonus epic feats into Wisdom, one can get 30 wisdom by total level 28, meaning dragon shape can be taken at total level 29 with the shifter bonus feat. I guess it isn't all that practical, after all. The only module for reaching that level is HotU, I guess. But it maybe could be enjoyed on an epic rp pw?

Edit: I guess I was thinking of 3.5 Master of Many Forms, which just gets the feat without the wisdom requirement.

...stop playing with my emotions! @ElysianEchoes
    ElysianEchoes
    Well, you could play HotU first, then import your ? dragon druid into everything?

Apologies, @DragonKing

That dragon eye you drew is pretty cool! *Nervous chuckle*
    @DragonKing both games have a rich selection of evocation spells, but I dare say that IWD's options are greater at high levels.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    If you're still humhawing:

They are both on sale @ GoG. NwN Digital Deluxe for 33% off (or non Deluxe) and IWD:EE for 50%
    JuliusBorisov
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    ElysianEchoesDJKajuru
    deltago wrote: »

They are both on sale @ GoG. NwN Digital Deluxe for 33% off (or non Deluxe) and IWD:EE for 50%
    I'll definitely buy that iwdee if it's still 10 this coming Wednesday.

deltago wrote: »

Oh a snap, if it stays at 10 all the way to Wednesday, I'm going to get that for 10 USD.unfortunately the indecisiveness led to me buying art supplies.
    chimaera wrote: »
    DragonKing wrote: »
    I finally got some extra funds that I'm trying to not spend on the hole in my pocket called art supplies. So I decided to come back to the forgotten realms but should I get icewind dale or neverwinter? Which is better by your opinion, what are the pros and cons of both?

Got those who don't remember me,

I mostly main mages, wild mages, and sorcerers.

I mostly tend I go 4 men deep unless the game as an extensive communication and commentary system between the npc characters that makes them a little more than just meatshields.

I like dragons!

That should be all.
    Well, if you enjoy art, then you might enjoy IWD more. It's simply a beautiful game; the music, the background and portrait art create an amazing atmosphere. However, unlike BG, it is a linear adventure and offers little replayability, though the story itself is interesting.

NWN is the opposite. The blocky 3d graphics weren't looking good back then and neither are they looking good now. The main campaign is bland and forgettable. But the amazing mods created by the fans give it a lot replayability.

I'd probably just draw my own character portraits, I tend to find there games never really have portraits that reflect my MC. But the games graphics aren't hay large of an issue for me as long as the world is expansive. I'm not expecting to be sacred 2 big but still id like to play around and explore also.
    JuliusBorisov
    Well, you could play HotU first, then import your ? dragon druid into everything?

Apologies, @DragonKing

That dragon eye you drew is pretty cool! *Nervous chuckle*
    Thanks.
    edited March 2019
    In case anyone is wondering, i bought icewind dale, can't beat 10 bucks. My chaotic neutral wild mage shall ride again.

Also I'm doing a 4 person party.

1 wild mage chaotic evil
    1sorceress chaotic evil
    1 fighter cleric neutral evil
    1 assassin neutral evil

This will actually be my first time playing this series, so lets do this.
    Post edited by DragonKing on
    joluvJuliusBorisovdeltago
  • shabadooshabadoo Member Posts: 324
    I'll just drop this into this thread as it's essentially the same question. Would you buy NWN now or wait for IWD2 to return to Google play?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    shabadoo wrote: »
    I'll just drop this into this thread as it's essentially the same question. Would you buy NWN now or wait for IWD2 to return to Google play?

What are you talking about? IWD2 has never been on mobile. What is currently missing is IWD:EE (and BGII:EE) on Google Play, but that is a bit unrelated to the thread's subject.
  • shabadooshabadoo Member Posts: 324
    Oh gee, sorry. I had been reading about all the games for a few hours and must have gotten confused between bg2 and IWD2. Again...my humble apologies.
    JuliusBorisov