Skip to content

New male BG1 NPC that is romanceable in BG2

Comments

• YorleenYorleen Member Posts: 150
    Since there's not even a chance to develop dialogue for original characters in BG1EE
    Is this 100% sure? That would be a shame as adding more interjections would give a new flavour to BG1...

I'd also love to see new romance possibilities for ladies (even if my PC is neutral good, Anomen was really getting on my nerves - Hated the French voice in addition)... I like the idea of the OP of a new NPC you'd meet in BG1 and could continue romancing in BG2. As for existing characters, Haer'Dalis would make an interesting romance, probably not an easy relationship though, at least at first!
    tena
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Not trying to be prejudiced, but plz no gay romances (i really would like a bi woman NPC romanceable character... but no, better not).

It's not the fact of the character being gay, but the fact that most NPCs in games with this force you to develop the f****** romance in order to know the backgroud of the character, as normally many friendly banters with romanceable characters tend to this. Or at least keep the Barbies on the closet until main char take initiative and start the romance banter.
    RazorNWN_babaYagaTH0R
  • YorleenYorleen Member Posts: 150
    preference of the player could be determined at character creation so the more sensitive players do not feel threatened by advances of a male character on their manly bhaalspawn
    It would be a good idea, if not too complicated to code.
  • LuneverLunever Member Posts: 307
    edited June 2012
    And something indirectly related - instead of being a third party mod, it should be a freely configurable core engine game option whether you want to allow hetero and monogameous only or grant your character more leeway. That way every player can set for him-/herself, how conservative or liberal he/she wants to be.
  • AzL0nAzL0n Member Posts: 126
    @Lunever

LOL! I hope that's sarcasm.
    Igneous
    Which is exactly why I suggested it to become a game option that the gamer can configure.
  • CommunardCommunard Member Posts: 556
    Which is exactly why I suggested it to become a game option that the gamer can configure.
    It is already, it's called clicking the "go away" option in the dialogue screen :p
    AzL0ntrinitIgneousTheIronRose
  • lansounetlansounet Member Posts: 1,182
    edited June 2012
    Answering a post from page 1 that is not directly related to the discussion here. I think there is already a request thread for more BG1 NPCs moving to BG2. Back on topic I agree a new romance for female PCs would be nice, but probably only with new NPC(s) and BG2 only, I don't see the need for romance in BG1 as someone previously said.

@Communard How about you still want to befriend them? In existing romances I believe any option to turn down romance completly shuts down the character development, making them pretty much mute for the rest of the game outside of interjections
    Yorleen
    It seems I didn't made myself: I found it an asset for the game to install a mod that allowed to remove the restriction of romances never being male/male or female/female as well as the restriction of having just one romance per game only. But, since I'm aware that this might be a highly controversal topic I suggest making it an option and leave it up to the player.
    BhryaenIgneous
  • BhryaenBhryaen Member Posts: 2,874
    @Lunever
    Openly gay romance is already canon in DAO... one of the most popular cRPGs out there... and it remains optional throughout the game. What you do, see, is you say "No, not interested." Done! Works on the opposite sex too. That I can say from ample receiving experience...

@Yorleen
    It is a shame, but I was months ago suggesting on the early subreddit forum Friends of Baldur's Gate that NPC dialogue in BG1 be increased to BG2 levels. The answer was that it's just not feasible given the guidelines of those mysterious forces with which the BGEE devs are contending to introduce content changes to BG. Apparently the dialogue of old NPCs is off-limits except for interaction with a new NPC or in small ways related to dialogue fixes. There may be more leeway than that, but the scope of a project that would add new dialogues to the 24 existing recruitable NPCs... is beyond the capacity of the BGEE team to gain approval for... alas... :-( But I agree, it would be great.
    IgneousKholdstare
  • ElectricMonkElectricMonk Member Posts: 599
    There is a definite lack of romance options for female characters/characters interested in romancing male NPCs so it might be nice if the new male NPC could be romanced. Due to the limitations of changing original content, it seems that only new NPCs could be altered in this way, so it won't be much anyway. I never played a female character and didn't know Anomen was the only option, I can see how that might be annoying. As far as expanding a multitude of options concerning sexuality, it doesn't seem plausible for BG:EE as it would either have to be exclusively with new NPCs or a blanket approach involving allowing all NPCs to be romanceable by any PC which doesn't really make sense. This is something that perhaps we'll see in future TrentCo. games however, I certainly have nothing against it (as long as it isn't ridiculous as some others have pointed out, such as unbelievably cheesy lines and the idea that every NPC in the game is bisexual).
    tena
    @jaysl659
    Keep in mind that the request isn't for romance in BG1EE, but for a new male NPC in BG1EE that carries over into BG2EE as does Jaheira where a much more involved relationship becomes possible. So the whole sexuality and romance theme doesn't really factor into the current project of BGEE other than making laying an otherwise unnoticeable romance foundation. There's nothing overt in Jaheira's dialogue to indicate a possible romance... not even if you kill her husband (lol). But she's still got the potential for what happens later. It would be exceptional for that to be available for straight women too.

For sure the lack of romance options in BG2 for straight women is conspicuous to straight women. Getting the prating male Anomaly only is like saying, "What? You want a romance too? How this? Hahaha!" To which women might respond... "I see..." and move on, even if they weren't even playing for the romance options.
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    in any case, the ice has been broken and frankly, i see no valid excuse not to implement a new romance for straight female/gay male, if developers intend to add more of this (extremely popular) feature in bg2:ee. period.
    BhryaenTheIronRose
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    edited June 2012
    A good and solid friendship with a few funny dialogues between the PC and the new NPCs is what im more interested in. And not for everyone companion the option to become strange and date them. To me the BG heroes are kind of butchers too... they hack away so many peoples in such a short time...thats not a situation for my guy at least to think about love.
    I didn't talk about NEW romances. I want to stay true to the original too. I just want, what some tweakpack options already allow - with a slight correction of gender words in the dialogues if that OPTION is turned on.
    I found it interesting to play all the flirt plots (Jaheira, Aerie, Viconia and Anomen, without playing the game 4 times just for this) with my favourite PC, no matter that the PC is a female character. And again - I don't want to CHANGE much by DEFAULT, I just want to add an option, maybe even just in the BGConfig. So the devs wouldn't actually have to do get involved with a whole new romance issue and every player can tweak this delicate point if he/she feels that the original approach is to narrow-minded. An OPTION doesn't hurt anyone.

Regarding a new character: Is there already some information about what race/class such a character might be?
    If not - I've always been missing a halfelven fighter/cleric/mage in the game :-)
    BhryaenIgneousTheIronRose
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Well, we already have a portrait for the new NPC and he looks human to me.
    I don't know if it's in this thread or another but I wholeheartedly support the idea of joinable and romance-able Korax
    BhryaenDrugarZymran86
    edited June 2012
    @Iansounet.
    It has been mentioned on the Fan Club thread to make Nexlit the Xvart a recruitable, romanceable NPC who carries over into BG2EE and travels all the way to Bhaal's Throne with you. Sounds dreamy doesn't it? Your very own Nexlit the Xvart to cuddle and be blue with... forever!

CHARNAME: "I was thinking you and I could get... a little closer... you know... intimate, I mean... if you feel the same..."
    Nexlit the Xvart: "Yeah! I get down, get funky with you humanoid scuz-sucker! EEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeee!"
    CHARNAME: "You kinky little blue devil!"

What? Well, he's better than Anomen.
    DrugarIgneous
    Yeh I've read that thread in one sitting and I liked the idea of making Nexlit a secret Bhaalspawn that betrays you at the very end :p
  • CommunardCommunard Member Posts: 556
    @Iansounet.
    It has been mentioned on the Fan Club thread to make Nexlit the Xvart a recruitable, romanceable NPC who carries over into BG2EE and travels all the way to Bhaal's Throne with you. Sounds dreamy doesn't it? Your very own Nexlit the Xvart to cuddle and be blue with... forever!

CHARNAME: "I was thinking you and I could get... a little closer... you know... intimate, I mean... if you feel the same..."
    Nexlit the Xvart: "Yeah! I get down, get funky with you humanoid scuz-sucker! EEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeee!"

What? Well, he's better than Anomen.
    I would pay cash money for this mod.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566

You do not want to see the scene that's now playing in my head. It's the "EEEEEeeeeee!!" battlecry that's really selling it. Oh god.

*Washes brain with soap*

On Topic:
    I'm not in favor of adding *any* romances, but if one should be added, it'd have to be a dude. Ladies have to put up with Anomen, which is just mean (I heard Haer'dalis was a (more logical) second choice, but due to development time, it got cut).
    Whether gay or bisexual, I don't mind either, as long as they're not doing it the Dragon Age way (Copy/paste romance, replace gender of object of affection, done).

You do not want to see the scene that's now playing in my head. It's the "EEEEEeeeeee!!" battlecry that's really selling it. Oh god.
    If you need to divulge this, please keep it to the Nexlit the Xvart Fan Club thread where it would be more appropriate. ;-)
    I'm not in favor of adding *any* romances, but if one should be added, it'd have to be a dude. Ladies have to put up with Anomen, which is just mean...
    Agreed.

• WolfheartWolfheart Member Posts: 170
    Gay male npc? Where where where? *Turns the whole world upside down in haste to find* MIIINEE!

Jokes aside, I'd love to have Haer'dalis be romancable or for that matter, any new npc aswell. Barring a gay romance, I'd love for the stories to still be there, so you can talk about Vicona's past even if you don't intend to shag her. And please, make the time between conversations based on in game time instead of a timer that counts down number of frames/seconds the game has been running ^^*.
    BhryaenCommunardKholdstare
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Please, no official male gay romance, we're not filling a quota systems, want a gay romance? ask for the maintenance of the girdle of gender (the one cursed). no one here is asking for a lesbian romance (altrough i would really like one XD, maybe even a menage in that)...

Remember that D&D simulate an alternative past (mixed with a variety of other elements), so any gay romance in most of the common societies are probally an anathema.
    NWN_babaYagaTH0R
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Gay romances do exist in the FR though.

Just as long as its properly done (unlike in DA:O) I don't see a problem with it.
    TheIronRose
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    please- an official gay romance if possible, precisely because we're not filling a quota systems. we're trying to add various and interesting new characters.
    oh, and although i personally don't care that much for one i fully support lesbian romance.
    TheIronRoseTH0R