Skip to content

RP: Winter's Valley-Chapter 1

Comments

• ashafetovashafetov Member Posts: 231
    edited October 2019
    Nareth sneaks together with the squad of warriors, including Jirt. He whispers to one of the barbarians:

" Stay alert, men.. We approach the orcs. ", he takes the lead and moves slowly forth. The captain tries not to make any noise and relies on his combat instincts as best as he can.
    Post edited by ashafetov on
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    "OK Laggie, stay safe now, you hear? Be brave.. but take care." Colden can't shake off the dread from seeing his protege take that vicious blow in their last battle.

"I'll stick with the main bulk and focus on singing to lift their spirits. " Colden proclaims and join the larger group.
    Back home again. Was totally off-grid (a very rural area outside in the south of Brazil) for a while. Back home in Sweden, in safe distance from the nearest mobile mast now again, hehe :)
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    "Don't worry Cram, I'll throw my chest at them!"
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    Hello my friends, I just wanted to let you know what’s been going on in my life.

Remember that speech I gave to the FDA? Well, the drug I was speaking on has just been approved! I can’t believe it I’m so excited! I may actually be able to spend time in the sunlight in some near future date.

Needless to say, between that and working I haven’t had the time to post. Here is a link to an article that details the approval of the drug. I feel good that I was able to contribute in some small way.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/fda-approves-first-treatment-to-increase-pain-free-light-exposure-in-patients-with-a-rare-disorder-300934079.html
    Wow, that's really cool @mashedtaters! I hope all goes well in the next steps and that you can soon spend more time outdoors. And yes, take pride in that you were part of that and that it could help many more with the same condition as you.
    Nareth leads Jirt and the small group of warriors stealthily into the pass. Kefto and Kagnan seem hidden well enough with Colden, Garta, Herald, Sus’Ann, Lagrord, and FG-11.

The pass is silent as Nareth approaches. Once you get nearer with Jirt you can see that the orcs have taken to hiding in the ruins built into the sides of the cliff faces. Now that you are closer, you can see the injured among them. Last night was dark, and you couldn’t really tell the damage that FG-11 inflicted upon them. But through the ruined windows and broken doors of the old clay buildings, you can see many orcs lying in cots while their witch-doctors apply leeches and salves.

You can see the paths leading up to the entrances to the buildings are broken. It would be a difficult climb, and be dangerous in the middle of an arrow storm. That appears to be where the bulk of their forces are, camped out on each side. There are only half a dozen orcs, bearing spears, in the makeshift trenches they built.

Nareth, what do you do now that you are close enough to see them clearly? How do you wish to proceed?
    @Skatan
    I really wasn’t that involved. It’s been an 11 year wait since the drug was first petitioned to the FDA for approval. Before that, I didn’t even know about the drug or trials or anything.

I only got involved with the community in the last few years, long after it’s been considered dead in the water.

They’ve had 11 patient listening meetings surrounding this condition and have never once allowed it to pass. However, their deadline for approval was absolutely up. They had to say yes or no by yesterday.

The speech I gave with a few others was only one month before the final deadline. I can’t say whether or not it had a significant impact for sure. I think it did. The listening meeting i participated in may have been a tipping point for them. But I came late to the party and really can’t take much credit for all the hard work that so many have poured into this.

I honestly didn’t think it would be approved. The treatment requires a minor surgery and then A $20,000 Injection every 2 months. I didn’t think they would want to approve it as it’s so expensive. But they did and I’m very glad.
    edited October 2019
    " These are injured.. It is probably worthless to provoke the wounded, we will just raise the alarm for no reason. These bloody orcs are not that stupid..." , Nareth spits on the ground and adjusts the clasps on his helmet. They all lay still not far away from the huts and in order not to be discovered.

" Jirt. Do ya remember your part? Now we split up and attack the sentinels from both flanks. You take the lead of the other half of warriors. Men! Ignore the wounded! Put down these bloody guardians first and make chaos there. When we make enough havoc, we retreat there. ", he points in direction of the lonely path which led into the ambush " Wait for my battle cry or if I won't make it stick to the original plan: we should provoke the main forces to follow us, they should think we are plenty. We lead these orcses into the trap of Kagnan. I hope, Kefto will assist him, and may the Refiner aid us. ", the captain draws his sword quietly and give a short quick sign with his battle gauntlet to the other five barbarian warriors to follow him. They split up and move slowly in the opposite directions.
    Congratulations @mashedtaters ! I am really glad to hear it was successful!
    @mashedtaters Is everything going okay irl?
    edited November 2019
    It has been a while, my friends... Any news?
    Hello my friends,
    Thank you for maintaining your interest in this story. I know it’s been a month since I’ve posted and I apologize.
    But as I explained last time, my life has been crazy busy. This new drug has taken the bulk of my attention. I was also involved last year with something I’m under contract not to speak about on social media, and that has taken a huge amount of my attention as well. As it’s the anniversary, I’m expecting to be released from my confidentiality agreement soon. And as I said, I’ve been working almost non-stop at my job. When I’m not at work, I have been spending time with my family during this complicated time trying to sort through all the details.
    I hope you guys can forgive the lack of attention I’ve given to this. I do check in every few days for about 5 seconds or so, but that’s all I have time for. I’m barely even on my other social media account except when it comes to the sun-fearing community I’m apart of, so don’t feel like I’ve just lost interest in this thread.
    edited November 2019
    Jirt nods to Nareth’s whispered instructions and, with a few flicks of his hands, he leads 5 of the warriors off with him to the flank. The orcs, sleepy and squinty in the sunlight, don’t seem to notice you until you’re right on top of them. You and Jirt jump down into the trench at once.

Then chaos ensues. One of the orcs screams in terror only to be silenced as his throat opens at Nareth’s skilled cut, ending his life surely. He falls to the ground, squirming and clutching at the blood spurting from his wound. Nareth steps over the body and kills another before he raises his spear.

Jirt, on the other side of the trench’s flank, fares just as well. He kills two orcs as they look around sleepily at the death of their companion’s at Nareth’s hands. The barbarians swarm into the trench from both flanks, spreading the blood of the two remaining orcs into the dirt. They put up a fight, but they are hopelessly outnumbered.

Nareth’s initial attack was a success without a single injury.
    edited November 2019
    The noise does however alert the rest of the orcs. Several orcs charge down the rough-cut stairs to engage in the trench, and a handful take up bow and arrow to rain death down from above.

But the plan is executed perfectly. Nareth and Jirt lead the ten barbarian warriors (who look none too pleased to be fleeing a fight) out of the trench and back into the pass towards the ambush.

You look back as you dive into the pass to see about two dozen orcs taking up the chase, all maddened and dizzied in the glaring morning light. You see one of the orcs standing on top of the fortified cliff-face wall screaming and waving at the orcs chasing after you in a panic. He seems to be smart enough to foresee that his fellows are being led into an ambush and is trying to put a stop to it. But the orcs, either because of their exhaustion from last night or their confusion in the sun or their general lack of discipline, continue to charge after you. Only a few stragglers turn back in reluctance and confusion.

You barrel down the path, leading the orcs with just a taste of your presence until they come smash into the ambush set by Kagnan.

Colden, Sus’Ann, Lagrord, and Nareth: how do you start the battle as the orcs charge into your midst?
  • lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    Sus'Ann prays for the bless of the Refiner to aid their friends in the battle. After that, she garbs her staff and search for the oppurtunity to swing it, she tries to oversee the battlefield and help anyone in need.
    Hy guys! I was on a little hiatus too in the past few weeks, but as i see i haven't missed too much. Good to see you back @mashedtaters .
    edited November 2019
    *Largrord says a queit prayer to anyone who will listen and rushes in, rapier and dagger flashing quickly. He intends to do as much damage as possible as quickly as possible to make the most of the ambush.*
    @mashedtaters Welcome back!
    Colden waits until the last moment (to not give away the ambush) and then starts singing a mighty battle hymn. In between singing he aims and fires his crossbow, trying to focus on whoever is attacking any of the weaker barbarians, but primarily those attacking Lagrord to keep him save most of all.
    The orcs don’t know what hit them. They are charging into the rising sun behind your backs. Even as the first of them cry out in the slaughter, the ones behind don’t realize what happens, their surprise is so complete.

Sus’Ann’s prayer does not fall on deaf ears, it seems. The barbarians, not used to tactics of stealth and deception, let loose their fury upon the unsuspecting and surprised orcs, strengthened by the dwarf’s chanting and Colden’s battle hymn.

Lagrord finds himself shoulder to shoulder with Kefto on one side and Kagnan on the other. His quick spins and diving jabs take five orcs out in the blink of an eye. One orc manages to strike a glancing blow with a dagger off Lagrord’s blue suit, but it pings harmlessly to the side. Lagrord grimly runs him through the chest and kicks the dying orc off his skewer.

Colden and Garta take out several from a distance that sneak up on Kagnan and Lagrord. The pair are a whirlwind of spinning, crushing death.

Then it is over, before Nareth and Jirt can regroup and join the battle. Sus’Ann manages to stabilize a few who fell, but two barbarians died in the aftermath of the assault, crushed under the incredible clash of the two forces.
    Kagnan, his face splattered with green orc blood, comes up to you, a smile on his face.

“This has got to be at least half of them!” he cries. “I say we charge and rout them before they have a chance to regroup and prepare. Wise tactics from Astorwind’s Chosen, but there are times when brute force must prevail. This is one of those times!”

The dead surround you, their green blood eking into rocky ground, their bodies still.

What do you do?
    Colden methodically takes care of his crossbow after battle, straightens out any creases in his clothing and put his hat on its usual swagging sway (a slight tilt). He ends by adjusting his beard, to the best of his abilities without a mirror.

"I'm usually not one for rushed tactics, but this time I agree. Sometimes it's indeed best to strike while the iron is hot."
    *Lagrord grips the hilts of his weapons tightly, his breathing is even, but deep.*

"Whatever we decide, we shouldn't stay here."
    “I am heartened by your agreement!” he shouts. “Follow me, fellow warriors! CHARGE!”

Without further consultation from any of you, Kagnan and the barbarians take off down the ambush route Nareth and Jirt just led the orcs.

Do you follow them in their charge? Do you hang back and observe? What are each of your strategies as the barbarians charge headlong into the melee?
    Colden shrugs, there's not much else to do then to headlong charge in behind the barbarians. He takes caution to keep some of them as a meathshield in front of him though.

If they encounter more orcs Colden will continously sing and try to shoot some bolts whenever he has a clean angle without risk hitting any friendlies. He will take care to stay a bit out of harm's way for as long as he can. He's most certainly not a coward, but his superior intellect seems to be wasted being in the very front of the battle. Ahem..
    *Lagrord follows after Colden without hesitation. He will focus on keeping Cram safe, but will assist in the battle however he can*
    The charge of the barbarians sends a whirlwind of black dust in its wake, into which you all dive. Their cries, proclaiming their thirst for blood, sends chills of remembered fear down your spines. The memory of fear is of those times when you have been on the receiving end, whether as Nareth on the borders protecting Astorwind from these very barbarians; or as Lagrord and Colden, as seen from the ramparts of Castle Astorwind many years ago when the barbarians breached far into your home; or as Sus'Ann, tending the wounded as barbarians scream their violence to their gods.

Once they get to the pass, they fall upon the enemy without hesitation, not even pausing to get a lay of the land. They swarm into the trenches and up the steps, screeching their oaths and battle lust. The orcs cry out in panic, but regroup on both sides of the pass. They were advised of the attack, but ill-prepared. Their numbers, dwindled by the violence at FG-11's hands last night and the subsequent ambush a few moments ago, are few.

The stairs up to the escarpment prove to be a bottleneck for the barbarians. In the eagerness of their hasty rush, several of the combatants just get pushed off to fall to their deaths below, barbarians and orcs alike. Hanging back, Colden and Garta strike down several of the orcs on the stairs. Kefto picks up one of the orc's crude bows and fires up into the battle. Nareth and Jirt hang back with Lagrord, prudently guarding the rear and the king's advisor.
    It doesn't take long for the warriors to push into the carved out caves in the cliff face. The south side of the pass is the first to claim victory, and they charge into the dimly lit, man-cut cavern. Their screams of victory echo out hollowly from the entrance and out of the makeshift archeres in the cliff face.

You turn your attention to the north side of the cliff face, where Kagnan is faced off against what appears to be the leader. They are having an epic, cinematic battle at the top of the stairs in front of the door. Any mistake will mean a fall to certain death. With careful aim, Kefto fires an arrow into the orc chief's throat, and Kagnan wastes no opportunity in cutting him down, pushing him contemptuously from the ledge to a sheer drop and death.

Kagnan pauses to look at who killed the chieftain. Then, with a snarl, charges into the darkness of the cavern.
    You charge up the stairs and into the dimly lit cavern, following the screams. Jirt and Kefto light torches and you clearly see the carnage before you.

The barbarians have already moved among the wounded, smashing them or cutting them into death with their clubs and axes. To the back of the cavern, you can see the makings of a cramped orcish commune. Along the wall are huddled grown females, which you call sow, and their young.

Several of the sow have taken up arms in defense of the young huddled behind them, but they are no match for the brute force and wrath of the trained, hardened warriors. The flickering torchlight and movement make it difficult to make out in the darkness exactly how many non-combatants there are. But they are falling quickly.

Before you can act, as though a sudden mental reminder of this world's reality, you see the orc's source of food roasting over the fire. A pile of human bones, small and large, testify as to their diet in the harsh wilderness. Mounted on a large spit over the fire is the remnants of a human body. Beyond its general shape you can't tell anything more about it.

The sow's ranks have waned and the barbarians have fallen upon the young, slaying them quickly.

What do you do?
    *its too much, Lagrord had never slain another thinking creature befire this mission, whether its carnage he took part in, the slaying of enemy children, or the smell of a roasting person, it matters little. Lagrord feels dizzy, falls to his knees, retches, and passes out.*
    Hey guys, I am terribly sorry - but the repairment in my home has got me at a very sudden and inconvenient time. I will try to catch-up in a while. Sorry for that :(
    @Nareth
    It’s ok, friend. I was out for nearly a month before I got the motivation and/or time to post, and it’s my damn story.
    Real life takes precedence. I can hardly be dissatisfied with you (or anyone for that matter) for not posting after my month-long hiatus, no matter the reason for it.
    But I will say, rather pompously, that I think my reason was a pretty good one, much like yours.