Skip to content

RP: Winter's Valley-Chapter 1

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Don't worry, Laggy's asleep anyway. He doesn't mind waiting.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Colden's sense for the greater good, that sometimes you have to break a few eggs and kegs to make a delicious dwarwen meadolette, makes him sometimes begrudgingly accept that enemies have to be killed. But there's a limit and that limit was just crossed by leaps and bounds.

He runs straight up in front of the barbarians, flails his arms in front of their weapons and won't care if he get hit himself, and shouts at the top of his lungs as dominant and angry as is dwarvenly possible; "STOP THIS MADNESS YOU HEATHEN DOGS! MAD CURS! LUNATIC, DISGRACEFUL BASTARDS SONS OF A DIRTY SOW!"

(It takes quite a lot for an atheist of Colden's caliber to actually use the term "heathen", but he doesn't himself reflect on that)
    Place your bets! Will Cram get run through by one of the or women, or trampled by the raging barbarians!? Tune in next week to find out!

On a side note, "heathen" is a fun insult in this day and age. Its my go to "joke" insult, when I'm messing around with friends.
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    Well... I was not expecting that. :D
    This is one of those times that the dice will have to decide the outcome!

Minion, roll 1d20+1 for Colden Cha
    edited November 2019
    Hmm... not terrible, but not good. We can’t exactly call this a success, but neither can we call it a failure. Let’s land this outcome between these two extremes:
    The barbarians find Jesus.
    Colden gets slaughtered.

My good @Skatan , though, realize this: sacrifice made in the name of a worthy and good principle is a success.

The blood of the dead and dying have coated the cave floor, making it slippery under Colden’s footsteps, but he does not falter. Mad with horror and grief, and the memories of the good lad Lagrord when he was but a young pup, he rushes blindly into the falling weapons of the barbarians.

All the sow have fallen by the time he makes his way to the first few of the barbarians. Those on Colden’s side of the line barely pull their swings as the grief-stricken dwarf comes between them and the cowering pups. Colden runs up and down the line, waving frantically at the barbarians to get them to stop.

Confused and still overcome with battle lust, the barbarians hesitate. Kagnan, at the front of the line, is the last one to stop. There are only a few pups left. Their cries and whines of grief and terror break your hearts.

“What is the meaning of this??!” shouts Kagnan, thrusting his blade at Colden (though not actually touching him). The fire of bloodlust burns in his eyes, and his blood vessels are sticking out of his forehead, throbbing irregularly. It’s unnerving to see that this man, so calm and collected only a few minutes ago, has now become overwhelmed by mob mentality and thirst for blood. It’s a stern reminder that, although he is your ally at this time, there is a reason your two peoples have been enemies for so long.

“Are you mad?! Why have you acted so recklessly? You could have been killed!” It is clear that he doesn’t understand why you are trying to stop him. It is likely that he didn’t hear your insults over the screams of battle and the dying. It seems that despite his bloodlust, he has enough presence of mind to ask pertinent questions and not just run you through in his hasty hunger for death.
    "Put down you weapons. Now. I will not let you slaughter these innocent pups. You will have to go through me first. "

Colden unsheathes his dwarven axe of good quality and heft it in his right hand. In his left he lits up a few cantrips of combative nature.
    edited November 2019
    Kagnan is still rageful, but now he is also confused. The combination of rage and confusion do not make a good concoction.

Innocent?” he cries. He points at the dead body sitting over the spit. “That’s a member of my tribe, a noble warrior or perhaps a captured dame... maybe even a child itself, I cannot tell. These monsters are eating his remains, and you say they are innocent?!

“They have offended the gods through this monstrosity and made war on my people to feed their dirty breeding. These will grow up to become hunters and destroyers of my people, and their monstrous appetites are fed by the flesh of my people’s children.

“You and I have placed down our weapons of war and our differences so that we can fight against them... and now you wish to lay down your life to defend them??” His rage is building, and so is his confusion.

“They must be slain... for the greater good of my people... and yours.”

The last words, for the greater good, though unintentionally, have an ironic impact. It is the reason these barbarians sacrifice their weak and their disobedient, just as it is the justification they use to kill these orc children.
    *Lagrord groggily comes to, and is confused by the scene in front of him*
    "greater good".. the expression rings in Colden's head, it bounces between his heart and his mind, for he to has sworn his life for Astorwind's Greater Good, yet.. yet there's a line where the greater good becomes the smaller bad and killing children, no matter the race or context, is crossing the line.

"The children haven't killed this poor soul, nor do they choose what to eat. The adults do.. did. Colden lowers his axe again, he don't want to fight the powerful barbarian lord, he would surely die and then what would happen to Astorwind?

His heart breaks, but he cannot risk the mission even for kids? He's mind is in turmoil, a new sensation for the otherwise rationally driven dwarf, his eyes constantly on the horizon, playing chess with kings and pawns for decades he has helped to steer Astorwind to it's position today. Must he sacrifice his soul now for it as well as he did his youth? He sighs.. he resigns.. With no backing from his friends, he feels alone, empty and undecided.

"Very well, do as you wish. But know this Kagnan. If you choose to slay these pups now, when this mission is over, when the darkness has been banished and peace is once again restored, I will come for you and I will slay you and any who stands with you today. I will sing my hymns of craze, of lunacy and madness. I will spin my bardic tales of dirge on your clan until you all turn on eachother like the rabid beasts you are and slay eachother as merciless as you slay these children today. "

With this, he turns his back on the chieftan and walks out of the cave.
    edited November 2019
    You might normally expect a smirk of triumph from a typical barbarian chieftain, or perhaps anger and defiance from another. But all you see in Kagnan is absolute confusion and incomprehension. To him, sparing the lives of these children is like shooting yourself in the foot. He looks at you, blood dripping from his face and axe, the rage leaving his eyes and his temple throbbing, as though you are the crazy one.

As Colden turns away, he sees Kefto standing there, nervously. He places a hand on Colden’s shoulder to keep him from leaving.

“You know, great chieftain,” he says, indicating with a simple nod of deference, “I’m not a man of great stature in my kingdom. I’m a nobody. In fact, I’m not even really sure how I came to be here. I signed up with the army because I wanted to protect life in Astorwind. I never signed up for killing barbarian children, even though we’ve been at war since I can remember. In fact, it was barbarians that killed my parents when I was a child, in the farmlands. Your people razed my farm and took my cattle.

“I hid in the house as members of the Bloodeye Clan killed my parents. I was stricken by grief and pain beyond description. I didn’t know what to do.

“But one of the warriors came in and saw me. I was too scared to fight back, and I was sure I would be killed. But he just looked at me and let me live.

“I’m not smart enough to know about the greater good... I can’t predict the future and don’t pretend to... I kind of always thought that people who know what the greater good is are so much smarter than me, that they could somehow tell the future, that they had information I couldn’t ever understand...

“I still don’t know what to think,” there are tears in his eyes. This is the first time you’ve seen him speak this much since he came to be with you. “But I do know this: I wouldn’t be able to live with the blood of these children on my hands. Much like that barbarian, all those years ago, couldn’t live with my blood on his hands, I imagine.

“Let them live. They may die in the wilderness anyway. I’m sure that’s what that warrior thought of me all those years ago. But who knows? The next orc peace maker could be among them. Their futures aren’t written yet, and, forgive me if I’m wrong, but I don’t know how anyone here can prophesy theirs... or ours... whether greater good or greater evil...”

You look at Kefto for the first time, really. He is young, quite young, in fact. Nervous and loyal to a fault. The butt of jokes from Jirt, a simple man with simple morals and simple convictions. He’s right, he is a nobody. You’ve barely ever noticed him and he’s been with you for weeks.

But his courage to step out of line and share his story in this moment speaks to his conviction to whatever principles that guide him. He looks as though he’s about to faint from fear, but he stands there strong (though holding Colden’s shoulder now for support).
  • ashafetovashafetov Member Posts: 231
    edited November 2019
    Nareth approches Colden and Kefto, panting heavily. His steel cuirass wears several marks of enemy's blades. Green bloodstains are all over his hands, chest and face. The captain gazes with his mad eyes around and understands its all over. Nareth politely bows to Colden and gives Kefto a short friendly nod.

Suddenly his eyes notice the massacre caused by Kagnan. The Captain's face darkens of horror and disgust. He turns to Colden:

" I hope, our new friends satisfied they blood thirst. Kagnan! Did ya have enough already? ". During his former war campaigns, Nareth saw enough blood and devastated lives and fates. He was indeed a hard one to surprise or impress by other people death. A short vision of dying boy, wearing closed helmet, obviously too big for him flashed in front of the captain's eyes.
    " Never again. You promised, never again! Bloody hells! You are too late... Or is he? ", thought Nareth and then noticed few pups left

" In the Refiner's name! I demand these pups to become my slaves. The Refiner's cause has a better use of these... orclings! I demand them to be sacrificed to the Sun God instead. I demand the Sun God's share of this Battle!", Nareth steps towards the Chieftain.
    " What are you doing, you moron! Now what? ", a coward thought distracted Nareth. He shaked his head getting rid of it.
    Hello friends, I am back. It is still hard for me to follow you up, but I will do my best to participate regularly. Thank you once more @mashedtaters for the great story! It is sad, I have missed a lot :(
    Kagnan is still confused by all of your sudden interest in the orc pups.

To Colden, he says, “I don’t understand the reason for your distress, but I can see this is important to you, especially considering your threats on my life. I welcome your challenge one day. May the gods decide our fate in glorious battle.”

To Kefto, “Yes, the future of these monsters are written in stone. They will feast on the flesh of my people, for we do not have a grand, comfortable castle in which to raise them using pampered cushions and books.” He nods to the groggily rising Lagrord. “Though I’m glad you survived, you were the product of cowardice. You are strong now, but that nameless warrior was weak then.”

To Nareth, “I am afraid you and the Refiner have no claim on this land and it’s plunder. This is the territory of my people, won from yours by right of conquest. We have now reclaimed it once again. Refiner or no, he shall have to find other pups for his purposes.”
    His rage gone now, he does look rather sad at having to disagree with you. He shows no signs of remorse for his unnecessary violence, however.

“I must consider the well being of my people,” he says. “I must show them strength. The gods demand the death of these... for the greater good.”

Then, quick as a cat, he nods at one of his retainers. Before any of you can stop them, he and his retainer end the life of the creatures with their axes, ending the echoing, blood curdling screams instantly.

He looks back to you three. “I am truly sorry for our disagreement,” he says. Though sincere in his apology, he is clearly satisfied by the death of the pups. He believes he has averted a future disaster. “What say you? Shall we continue this alliance? Or is this where we part ways? If so, I wish to do so in peace.”

What do you do?
    Caught in surprise with this sudden deed of Kagnan, Nareth closes his eyes tiredly for a while.

" May the Refiner be your judge, Kagnan. Nobody claims your land, neither plunders it. We fought together against this foe, therefore we have our right on these creatures as well. It is all over nevertheless and may the refiner forgive you your deeds. I says, we are even now. We both disregarded each others gods. "
    *Lagrord's fists ball with rage. Though a dim memory, he saw this before, from the side of the now slaughtered children. He no longer sees Kagnan as a man, but a towering monster. Like the one he sees in his nightmares.*

"Kagnan." *He can barely get the words out through his clenched jaw*

"Defend yourself."

*Lagrord slowly advances towards Kagnan. Adrenaline and anger having banished his dizzyness, and his reason.*
    Welp. Believe it nor not, this is not my attempt at character suicide. Darn roleplaying.
    The character gotta do what the character gotta do! Roll with it! :)

Colden was halfway out of the cave when first Kefto spoke and then Nareth, he did slow down and remained inside. Now as he hears Laggie's challenge, his blood turns to ice and a strong grip of deathly premonition squeeze his heart. It's one thing to act reckless yourself, it's a whole other thing to see someone you love do it.

He begins walking up towards Lagrord and Kagnan again, hesitant on what to do and without any clue what will happen next. kagnan will surely fight fire with fire, he can't back down from a fight in front of his men.
    edited November 2019
    Kagnan's eyes flicker in annoyance at Lagrord's approach. He has only interacted once with the half-orc that you can recall, when he barely kept his composure at a suggestion about strategy.

This time, however, he does not hide his contempt. "Good master dwarf, while I accept your challenge to a duel wholeheartedly to settle our question of honor, I must ask that you restrain your slave," he says. "There is no honor in slaying another man's property over its petty, base emotions... least of all a half-breed, a mere half-man, half-beast."

giphy.gif

Keep up the good role-playing, guys. You're doing great!
    *Lagrord breaks into a run, lost to his anger. His rapier flashes wildly, aiming for face, hands, anywhere to keep Kagnan from effectively attacking. Lagrord keeps his dagger at the ready for a killing blow, should the opportunity prevent itself.
    Haha, I have no idea how to RP this!! My god, what WOULD Colden actually do?! I have to think..
    Gosh @ThacoBell !!! I am lost here, give me a second to think this over...
    Minion, roll 1d20+3 for Lagrord Attack
    edited November 2019
    Kagnan stumbles back under Lagrord’s onslaught, not prepared for the half-orc’s sudden attack. He has taken you all by surprise.

The rapier whistles like a whip, slashing across Kagnan’s face and drawing blood, then cuts into Kagnan’s hand and across his arm. Blood gushes instantly and the barbarian chieftain drops his axe to the floor with a clatter as he wheels backward blindly, clutching at his face and arm.

The other 10 barbarians, outraged at the sudden attack on their leader, pile on Lagrord to stop him, screaming and raging, crying, “Dishonor! Treachery! Betrayal!”

Several of them simultaneously smash Lagrord from behind with their axes and clubs, dropping him to the ground. They’re not done yet...

It all happens so fast.

How do the rest of you react?
    edited November 2019
    Caught by surprise, Nareth pulls himself together quite fast, but he totally missed the sudden Lagrord's blow. He raises his shield and tries to protect the half-orc from his left flank,

" Kefto! Jirt! Attack! ", he attacks the nearest barbarian and punches him with his buckler. The floor is slippery because of spilled blood and the captain can't catch his breath still. The Lagrord's decision to stop Kagnan was really something the captain was thinking over a minute ago. He was tempting to make this choice between jeopardizing their mission and losing allies and the true justice to avenge the innocent blood. Well, was it really that innocent?

Nareth fights without fury, with pure warrior's professionalism. He won't let this young lad perish, not today and not on his watch. Probably it is time to uphold the Oath given to the Refiner as Kagnan and his men represent the savagery he has sworn to fight.
    Sorry guys. I literally tried to roeplay a simple, uneducated military grunt, but... ended up playing a canonic boring hero. @mashedtaters knows my original intention and Nareth true personality. But let's continue and assume that the captain became a better personality during this quest.
    "You monster! You are no better than the flesh eating creatures you slaughter!"

*Largord is kept conscious only by the rushing adrenaline, pinned so fully that all he can do is scream in rage*
    I don't think leaving the city and being thrust into this has been good for Laggy.
    edited November 2019
    Colden took a couple of seconds to react, but then rush in to aid Lagrord and the rest of the guys. He's no master of the melee, but what else can he do?

As he join the fray, trying to protect Laggie by attacking any barbarian that attacks his flanks or back, he sings a demoralizing song for the barbarians' ears; a song of defeat and misfortune, of misery and hopelessness.
    Kefto, Jirt, and Garta leap into the fray. Nareth drops one barbarian from behind, then dashes in to block a crushing blow with his shield to Lagrord’s head.

Lagrord manages to jump back to his feet, his injuries not fazing him. He leaps at Kagnan, who, despite his missing fingers, has picked up an axe with his left hand. This time he is prepared.

Kagnan is a much more experienced fighter than Lagrord, but his advantage is tempered by the blood in his eyes and the dimness, and his left-handed fight. Lagrord is enraged and, this being his first serious campaign, would normally be at a disadvantage. But Lagrord can see in the dark and his injuries are superficial.

Minion, roll 1d20 for Lagrord Outcome
    edited November 2019
    Colden charges into the fray, surprising everyone by downing 2 barbarians with giant cleaves of his traditional axe. They fall to the bodies of the sow and pups they had just slain, twitching spasmodically and screaming in their death throes. They clutch at the wounds in their sides and backs, certainly dead if not from their wounds then from their inevitable future sacrifice to the gods.

Kefto, having been right next to Lagrord, is in heated combat with 3 of the barbarians. Jirt charges, but it is too late. A heavy blow to the chest, and Kefto falls to the ground. The 3 barbarians turn to meet Jirt’s charge, but one of them is dropped by Garta’s dagger.

A look on her face shows she is clearly conflicted about her choice. But her decision is made, and she fires off another dagger.

Nareth is in fierce battle with two barbarians. You are outnumbered and the floor is slippery, but your weapons give you a greater advantage in the tight corridor than the great axes and spears of the barbarians.