Skip to content

Petrification / Polymorph Save Busted, or Just Confusing?

HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,643
Maybe I'm not looking at it right, but I've got Dorn to a "1" save vs. Petrification / Polymorph. This was achieved by getting him to his normal Blackguard Level 6, then giving him the Claw of Kazgaroth. a +1 Ring of Protection, and Adoy's belt. However, when he charges Basiliks like a mad man he saves like on 2 or 3 up (I've seen it with feedback on). Then he's suddenly dead in just a few seconds because even though I have the hit rolls feedback is place, he just gets petrified with no roll shown. Not sure if Greater Basiliks have some kind of power that bipasses saves?

On closer examination of the Claw of Kazgaroth - It looks like it only gives +3 to Polymorph and NOT Petrification/Polymorph combined (at least that's what the text says).... But still, I've seen him save on a 2 or 3 so... His save is low.

He still becomes Petrified ridiculously fast all the time with no roll shown... just says "Petrification". Save, Save, Save... Petrification. Or sometimes, just Petrification right away with no rolls shown. So not sure if there's an issue or not. Oh well, back to the more tried and true ways of fighting them I guess. I thought I beat the system.

Comments

• Humanoid_TaifunHumanoid_Taifun Member Posts: 1,055
    Why waste potions when there is a level 1 mage spell available?
    ThacoBellsarevok57
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    Well, yes, you could do that, but this shows there's at least an alternative. If you ever want a run without arcane casters ... well, OK, you pretty much have to grab Neera at least long enough to do her quest ... and there's also a protection scroll for it ... Yeah, it's kind of silly. Basilisks really didn't need that -4 to be scary.
    HaHaCharadesarevok57
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,643
    jmerry wrote: »
    Well, yes, you could do that, but this shows there's at least an alternative. If you ever want a run without arcane casters ... well, OK, you pretty much have to grab Neera at least long enough to do her quest ... and there's also a protection scroll for it ... Yeah, it's kind of silly. Basilisks really didn't need that -4 to be scary.

Good to know.. Yeah I just figured I'd have someone with an awesome save that could be a buffer without spells. Spoiled I guess. He still saves enough to kill one with a bow from afar usually... well, sometimes lol.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    also at the nashkiel fair in one of the tents there is a merchant who sells a protection from petrification scroll and it lasts for 12 hours
    HaHaCharadeMathsorcerer
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Basilisks impose a save vs death, not petrification, at least in some installs. The Claw of Kazgoroth would actually make it harder to make a save.
    ThacoBell
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,643
    semiticgod wrote: »
    Basilisks impose a save vs death, not petrification, at least in some installs. The Claw of Kazgoroth would actually make it harder to make a save.

Interesting. It is Save vs. Petrification based on what the feedback shows.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    ThacoBellChroniclerStummvonBordwehr
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    And the "Flesh to Stone" spell naturally uses a save vs. Spells. Because having the target save vs. petrification would make too much sense...

I mean, it is a spell, but when the vast majority of anything you can save against are spells it does seem a bit much. Really makes you wonder why they decided to make 'Save vs Spells" a category in the first place.
    [Deleted User]
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903

Interesting. It is Save vs. Petrification based on what the feedback shows.
    If you see a save vs. polymorph message when your character survives a basilisk's gaze, then basilisks are forcing a save vs. petrification/polymorph in your install; not a save vs. death.

Now that I look it up in Near Infinity, it's using a save vs. polymorph in my install, too. Maybe an update changed it at some point.
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    Now that I look it up in Near Infinity, it's using a save vs. polymorph in my install, too. Maybe an update changed it at some point.
    The EE's changed it very early on (v1.3 or earlier).
    ThacoBellsemiticgoddess
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    kjeron wrote: »
    The EE's changed it very early on (v1.3 or earlier).

I KNEW I wasn't crazy to think it used to be a save vs. death!
  • Gatekeep3rGatekeep3r Member Posts: 123
    It's always been a save vs death, didn't realize they changed that. Then again, basilisks aren't that common.