Over the last few months I've been quietly working on a complete recoding of the (classic, wonderful) Ascension mod, to take advantage of modern tools and techniques, adapt more completely to the Enhanced Edition (while remaining compatible with the original BG2) and fix a very large number of small (and some not-so-small) bugs.
I'm pleased to say that - with the generous permission of Cuv (on behalf of the original authors), Wes Weimer (the now-retired maintainer of the original WEIDU version) and AlienQuake (the maintainer of v1.5-1.7) - I'm now ready to release version 2.0 of Ascension.
A download link to version 2.0 is here
, and the readme can be accessed here
I'm also pleased to announce - again, with the generous permission of Cuv, Wes and AlienQuake - that the Gibberlings Three will be providing a discussion forum for the new version of Ascension (link to follow soon once it's live), since the official forum at pocketplane.net has been moribund for many years.
EDIT: the new forum is here
I'll put a fuller list of the changes in v2.0 in the next post down, but the biggest changes are:
- Many small coding changes to accommodate the Enhanced Edition more fully
- A large number of small (and a small number of large) bugs fixed
- reorganization of the component structure for greater clarity
- breaking the main component into subcomponents
- extensive documentation (including of all changes)