Skip to content

Ascension v2.0

DavidWDavidW Member Posts: 823
edited June 2019 in BGII:EE Mods
Over the last few months I've been quietly working on a complete recoding of the (classic, wonderful) Ascension mod, to take advantage of modern tools and techniques, adapt more completely to the Enhanced Edition (while remaining compatible with the original BG2) and fix a very large number of small (and some not-so-small) bugs.

I'm pleased to say that - with the generous permission of Cuv (on behalf of the original authors), Wes Weimer (the now-retired maintainer of the original WEIDU version) and AlienQuake (the maintainer of v1.5-1.7) - I'm now ready to release version 2.0 of Ascension.

A download link to version 2.0 is here, and the readme can be accessed here.

I'm also pleased to announce - again, with the generous permission of Cuv, Wes and AlienQuake - that the Gibberlings Three will be providing a discussion forum for the new version of Ascension (link to follow soon once it's live), since the official forum at pocketplane.net has been moribund for many years.

EDIT: the new forum is here.

I'll put a fuller list of the changes in v2.0 in the next post down, but the biggest changes are:
  • Many small coding changes to accommodate the Enhanced Edition more fully
  • A large number of small (and a small number of large) bugs fixed
  • reorganization of the component structure for greater clarity
  • breaking the main component into subcomponents
  • extensive documentation (including of all changes)

Post edited by DavidW on
Brokenkatanaronaldomegamike15GirewanleeuxMantis37FlashburnPhælinIseweinCaszidyGusindaPeccaBrecherswitDoubledimasJuliusBorisovLudwig_IIStummvonBordwehrTingelThacoBellFlaphistamiiniAmmarelminsterRaduzielMERLANCEAedanCrevsDaakAnonymousHeroALIENBallpointMankungfuhobbitramiAndreaColomboGrond0Edvinartificial_sunlightWogesAbelQuitchAxieRedRodentSkydogTimbo0o0o0Rik_KirtaniyatoomuchcaffeineDukeRabiCloutier

Comments

• megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    now that it's officially out of beta maybe i'll have a more bug free experience with this mod for once.
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,173
    edited June 2019
    Thank you for the hard work, sounds great!

Is it likely that some mods that depend on Ascension- e.g. Turnabout, Longer Road will be incompatible with this new release for now?
    Mantis37 wrote: »

Is it likely that some mods that depend on Ascension- e.g. Turnabout, Longer Road will be incompatible with this new release for now?

turnabout always had some issues with ascension in the previous builds. it was mostly due to being an unoffical ee patch that never got updated since.
  • DavidWDavidW Member Posts: 823

It depends on how they're coded; but quite possibly. I'll try to have a look when I have a chance.
    Mantis37IseweinThacoBell
  • IseweinIsewein Member Posts: 521
    Signs and wonders never cease! Thank you for wading through this infamous maze of a code for us. Never expected Ascension EE to get out of beta. Hope you can have a look at compatibility with Iylos for the new Balthazar code as well!
    CaszidyMERLANCE
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    edited June 2019
    Hello,
    any chance to make:

1) the following pool power passive? Focus (top pool) --> becoming you immune for X after getting

2) Making the slayer form not automatically kill you after X duration/not losing control? To be honest I would like to actually tweak the:
    > duration parameters
    > the losing control part
    > the kill effect

I would make it so that at the beginning, I would always lose control of my character (95% chance).
    But by actually improving the forms, my character gains the ability to lower the chance of berserk and not only that, also the times he can be morphed into the forms.

3) Readme is not clear in this part: <<There is a very narrow path by which an evil character with Wisdom 19+ can recruit Balthazar. Evil characters with lower wisdom cannot recruit him, but may be able to convince him to commit ritual suicide rather than fighting>>.

So you can recruit him or make him commit suicide? Or both?
  • LilainaLilaina Member Posts: 3
    edited June 2019
    Thanks for picking this mod up! :D Old bugs with Demogorgon and Abazigal are finally fixed. However, the game seems to crash during the first phase of the final fight at the Throne. Sometimes 10 sec into the fight, sometimes closer to a minute.

BG2EE latest version, no other mods, I made a new character, teleported there with console and ran around the platform with the godbow.

edit: Bodhi seems to be the culprit. Getting in melee range of her bat form, and once attacking her from a distance, caused instant crash.
    Post edited by Lilaina on
    Lilaina wrote: »
    Thanks for picking this mod up! :D Old bugs with Demogorgon and Abazigal are finally fixed. However, the game seems to crash during the first phase of the final fight at the Throne. Sometimes 10 sec into the fight, sometimes closer to a minute.

Fixed in current release. If you've already downloaded and don't want to reinstall, there's a hotfix here. (And sorry about this! - I did test this fairly extensively, but this one slipped through even so.)

JuliusBorisovThacoBellmegamike15Isewein
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Now this is a VERY pleasant surprise.
    FlapMERLANCECrevsDaak
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Apologies for the usual teething problems. A couple of critical bugs turned up; Ascension is now updated to 2.0.3 and you should reinstall if you've already got 2.0.0.
    Flap

OK, I've now looked at this.

Turnabout installs successfully over Ascension 2.0. I'd tweaked a file so that the install would have been a bit glitchy, but it was easy enough to change that, and I've done so for 2.0.3. I haven't done a full test, but I *think* that Turnabout will work successfully over 2.0.

Longer Road is another matter. It doesn't install successfully over 2.0 and there is no very straightforward workaround on my end. LR will need updating to use with Ascension, and I'm not sure if it's currently maintained - if it is, if the current maintainer wants to get in touch then I can advise.
    Mantis37Isewein
  • FlapFlap Member Posts: 5
    Awesome! Great to see that this mod is (again) updated and maintained. Thanks alot for your work!
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,295
    Just want to add my voice here, great to see that both SCS and Ascension (my two favorite mods) received updates and are still being maintained.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Good job, David.
  • SageSage Member Posts: 28
    Stopping by to voice my appreciation. You guys are the best! :D
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,270
    Congratulations on the release!

Please keep in mind that this mod is integrated with BGForge.net Translation Service https://tra.bgforge.net/projects/infinity-engine/ascension/

It means that anyone can easy contribute to the existing translations but it has to be done via web interface of the https://tra.bgforge.net, not via github.com. There is also easy way for importing already translated parts as .csv/other files.
    FlashburnThacoBell
  • rost400rost400 Member Posts: 13
    Thank you for the update. :)

I have a question regarding a bug potentially related to the old version of Ascension (1.7.2 according to the archive), but the old thread is already closed so I'm gonna ask here if that's ok.

Finished a playthrough yesterday (using EET) and didn't get any epilogues. Instead, after the ending cinematic the credits popped up straightaway, skipped them, popped up about 5 more times. I assume they got displayed instead of the epilogues. You think it could be a bugged Ascension installation, or something else?
    Could be any mod that modifies the epilogues. That includes Ascension but also includes pretty much any NPC mod.
    edited June 2019
    Besides Ascension, I think Imoen Romance affects the epilogues now that I think about it don't have any other extensive NPC mod that would modify them. And that one caused me several issues during ToB so it's probably more likely to be the culprit.

Seems to have a script file for epilogues with a shitton of different routes too, easy to mess up somewhere, especially given the oversights that caused some of the other issues.

I'll try to look into it, since the mod author doesn't seem to be active anymore.
    i noticed that edwin romance would not installl with the new version of ascension installed. and i know that changed his epilogue.

edited June 2019
    Don't have any Edwin mods, never liked him. :P
    Imoen Romance installed fine with the new version (just did a fresh new install), but there could be issue somewhere in the mod itself.

Would WeiDU notify me if a mod overrides other mod's scripts/dialogue/etc, possible breaking it? Not sure how it resolves dependencies/conflicts.
    well i mostly have it along with alot of other romance and friendship related mods mostly for the future. and it has to be due to this new version as it installed fine with ascension in the last build.
    Unless an NPC mod has code specifically designed for Ascension, you might have more luck installing it before Ascension.
    megamike15
    so install it after all my other quests and npc mods but before my tweaks? i'm so used to installing ascension first that's gonna take some time to adjust.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @DavidW Are you sure? General wisonm on Ascension has been to ALWAYS install it first.
    megamike15
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    DavidW, if you have particular and extensive knowledge about the order of install, let us know so we adapt