Skip to content

What would you like to see in BG III

123457»

Comments

• kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    DinoDin wrote: »
    But there are also, perfectly reasonable reasons, for a studio to prefer creating just one combat mode.
    And I say that's easy and convenient to say when the one mode is TB and you happen to love TB, so everything works out nicely for you. But not for me.
  • DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,570
    kanisatha wrote: »
    DinoDin wrote: »
    But there are also, perfectly reasonable reasons, for a studio to prefer creating just one combat mode.
    And I say that's easy and convenient to say when the one mode is TB and you happen to love TB, so everything works out nicely for you. But not for me.

I don't love TB.

The easy thing to say is that the game company can include both out of sheer will.
  • iosfrustrationiosfrustration Member Posts: 153
    I’d like to see the area of effect for AOE spells clearly shown in the world view

if you cast fireball at this spot what will get blasted
    If you cast grease at that spot where will get greasy
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I’d like to see the area of effect for AOE spells clearly shown in the world view

That would be great. I hate when an area of attack spell/ability hits my group because I misjudged the area.
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    mlnevese wrote: »

That would be great. I hate when an area of attack spell/ability hits my group because I misjudged the area.

I'm hoping this will be the case too. The whole point of making combat turn-based is to make it more "strategic", by allowing you to carefully position your characters and aim AoE spells appropriately.
    Zaxares wrote: »

I'm hoping this will be the case too. The whole point of making combat turn-based is to make it more "strategic", by allowing you to carefully position your characters and aim AoE spells appropriately.
    Yes, and this is exactly one of the things about TB combat that makes it so unappealing to me. This should NOT be how combat works.

Yes, and this is exactly one of the things about TB combat that makes it so unappealing to me. This should NOT be how combat works.

That's fair enough. :) I would have preferred RTwP too, for that more frenetic and fast-paced feel of combat. I'm just saying that, since we're going TB, then I want it to be a GOOD TB implementation where I can get my enjoyment out of combat using different metrics.
  • BlackbɨrdBlackbɨrd Member Posts: 293
    A joinable Mindflayer party member would be cool.
    Blackbɨrd wrote: »

I would actually love that too. While we know a fair bit about mind flayer lore and society thanks to various supplements, we very rarely get to hear how a mind flayer itself thinks and feels and interacts with others aside from a hostile encounter. If my speculation about the Thoon plotline in BG3 plays out, then the joinable illithid companion might represent a member of the "traditionalists" who disagree with the kind of open warfare the illithid faction we see in the trailer is embarking on, and finds himself forced to ally with "meat animals" to see the dissidents brought down.

That's fair enough. :) I would have preferred RTwP too, for that more frenetic and fast-paced feel of combat. I'm just saying that, since we're going TB, then I want it to be a GOOD TB implementation where I can get my enjoyment out of combat using different metrics.

And I totally get this and understand where you're coming from. It's just that for me, to stay with the AoE spell placement example, being able to place my fireball spell exactly where I want it so that enemies cannot escape its AoE while allies are not in its AoE is just plain unchallenging. NOT being able to place your AoE spells exactly how you want them, along with other similar things, are what make combat challenging. Combat being perfectly optimized is boring, tedious, and unchallenging. Combat being sub-optimal and chaotic and messy is interesting, fun, and challenging. :)
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,297
    Speaking of AoE spells like fireball, I'd like to make a prediction. With the turn based ruleset combined with party initiative Larian will design encounters so that enemies (almost) always start scattered around your party to avoid you being able to burn them all down in one turn when winning initiative.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    It's one of those things I prefer in older games (not all of course, but some); that you can end a fight before it even begins if you are prepared and also be completely party wiped quickly if you are not. Many newer games have a much more balanced approach where battles very gradually increase in challenge and often times play out more similarly from level 1 to max, even though damage numbers increase, so does HP, AC equivalents etc.

I like the chaos to a degree, but most of all, I like that once I master the game I could trivialize many encounters that wiped me out the first few tries just by being prepared (and to some degree; cheese).

Having the combat mechanic where you are either in combat and do combat things or outside combat and can't do anything combat related is one of the main changes in RPGs IMHO. This is very subjective of course, but to me rwtp or tb is to a lesser degree affecting this game style, rather it's the "locked into combat" that so many games implement where I can't carpet bomb at the edge of my vision or through down acid clouds before the official battle has begun according to the game mechanics. PoE was amazing in many regards but have this feature for example. Being a battlemage but you can't summon your magic battle staff until the first round of combat, thus wasting a round even though you knew that battle was just ahead, is a mechanic I'm not particularly fond of.

So, in the spirit of this thread, if there's one thing I want from BG3 it would be to have ALL spells and abilities at my disposal whenever I want.
  • DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,570
    Skatan wrote: »
    Having the combat mechanic where you are either in combat and do combat things or outside combat and can't do anything combat related is one of the main changes in RPGs IMHO. This is very subjective of course, but to me rwtp or tb is to a lesser degree affecting this game style, rather it's the "locked into combat" that so many games implement where I can't carpet bomb at the edge of my vision or through down acid clouds before the official battle has begun according to the game mechanics.

FWIW, even though the OS games have a TB/RT split and a combat mode, they still allow the freedom to pre-buff for most fights and ambush enemies with some opening spell. I definitely agree that Pillars did a lot to kill the wonderfully emergent gameplay that you got from the total freedom of IE games. That was still mostly preserved in the OS games. So hopefully they stick with that for BG3.
  • PsicoVicPsicoVic Member Posts: 868
    edited June 2020
    Ammar wrote: »
    Speaking of AoE spells like fireball, I'd like to make a prediction. With the turn based ruleset combined with party initiative Larian will design encounters so that enemies (almost) always start scattered around your party to avoid you being able to burn them all down in one turn when winning initiative.

The encounters in the gameplay (besides the first one vs intellect devourers months ago) seems to point in that direction, yes.
    And the possibility of scouting and ambushing ( or getting ambushed) was shown in the second gameplay too. You can also move stuff in the environment and use flammable or interactive objects to create a favourable battle environment for your party.
    I hope they give you an option to shout to your enemies when you get a jump of them:
    " You have been waylaid by enemies and must defend yourself"
    for a change XD

One thing I found attractive was when the sound of breaking a wall actually woke up the enemies nearby and you had the possibility of using persuasion or the "Tadpole force persuade" to fix the situation.

PsicoVic wrote: »
    One thing I found attractive was when the sound of breaking a wall actually woke up the enemies nearby and you had the possibility of using persuasion or the "Tadpole force persuade" to fix the situation.

Yeah I liked that too. But the thing that bothers me there is the general issue of the tadpole fixing everything for you. Seems like (just from what I can tell at this stage) if you play "evil" you get well rewarded. If you play "good" (i.e. refuse to use the tadpole) you get screwed.
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    Any chance to get Lurker of the deep warlock?
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    PsicoVic wrote: »

Yeah I liked that too. But the thing that bothers me there is the general issue of the tadpole fixing everything for you. Seems like (just from what I can tell at this stage) if you play "evil" you get well rewarded. If you play "good" (i.e. refuse to use the tadpole) you get screwed.

They have been saying that using the tadpole will have a negative consequence, they just haven't shown what that consequence is yet.
  • RamiformRamiform Member Posts: 1
    Would love to see psionics, that would've been great.
    Ramiform wrote: »
    Would love to see psionics, that would've been great.

Yeah, speaking of that, did Larian make any announcement as to whether psionics would be its own fully realized "magic" system in BG3? Or is it just going to be approximated via feats/special abilities etc.?
  • BlackbɨrdBlackbɨrd Member Posts: 293
    Blackbɨrd wrote: »

I would actually love that too. While we know a fair bit about mind flayer lore and society thanks to various supplements, we very rarely get to hear how a mind flayer itself thinks and feels and interacts with others aside from a hostile encounter. If my speculation about the Thoon plotline in BG3 plays out, then the joinable illithid companion might represent a member of the "traditionalists" who disagree with the kind of open warfare the illithid faction we see in the trailer is embarking on, and finds himself forced to ally with "meat animals" to see the dissidents brought down.

Forgive my really late reply, but a mindflayer (maybe a rogue mindflayer or one with an opposing goal to the other mindflayers) would be a great addition. It would really help to understand and get to know the mindflayers from a different point of view, see the mindflayers through an angle which isn't the usual angle, which is them being an enemy.
  • WerewolfMichaelWerewolfMichael Member Posts: 2
    Please please please please have a good amount dedicated to shapeshifting and summoning...and please allow it outside of combat...feckin POI 1 did not allow it what a bad idea.

I hear its turn based also why is that?
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Please please please please have a good amount dedicated to shapeshifting and summoning...and please allow it outside of combat...feckin POI 1 did not allow it what a bad idea.

I would really like it if summons could trigger traps...
  • PsicoVicPsicoVic Member Posts: 868

We didn´t really see any shapeshifting or summoned creatures in the gameplay (there are not much spells at low level to do that anyway) but in the last gameplay there were two mages and they do not summon a familiar. I wonder if there are still in development.
    P
    There are like thousands of threads about that subject with dozens of people engaging in an everlasting pointless debate about that, you can just google it and take a peek.

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235

Because Larian REALLY want to make Dos 3, but couldn't pass up the recognition of having "Baldur's Gate" somewhere in its title.