Skip to content

Oil of Speed vs. Haste vs. Improved Haste

Putting aside their durations for the moment, how does Oil of Speed rank vs. Haste and Improved Haste?

From reading the descriptions, it seems like Oil of Speed is the weakest, not giving the bonus to Initiative.

I'm not completely clear on the APR effect of OoS and Haste -- it says it adds one attack, except for if they have x+1/2 attacks already? So, if I'm understanding that right, a character with 2 APR then has 3 APR, but a character with 1.5 APR then has 2 APR. That seems rather odd to me.

And for Improved Haste, is the only difference vs. Haste that you get a full APR bonus regardless of whether you have x+1/2? So, if you have 2 APR you get 3 APR, but if you have 1.5 APR then you have 2.5 APR?

Comments

• kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    edited September 2019
    To keep it simple:
    Oil of Speed = Normal Haste without the delayed fatigue penalty
    Normal Haste = ROUNDDOWN(APR + 1)
    Improved Haste = APR * 2

Any other changes do to haste are the same (initiative, movement, etc...).
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    I've never tried it myself, but I hear Oil of Speed also stacks with itself.

So while one oil of speed provides +1 apr, 3 oils of speed provide +3 apr, which is something you can't do with the haste spells.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Oil of Speed is the better choice. For it can also supstitute as lotion. Dry skin is the enemy of every adventurer after all. It also does a good number as lubricant. Or so I heard amongst tavern patrons.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    I thought customers of the carnal activities would rather take potions of slow in order to enjoy the time paid for.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    lroumen wrote: »
    I thought customers of the carnal activities would rather take potions of slow in order to enjoy the time paid for.

You might think so, but the business ladies take the patron's money and can just walk away...
  • StromaelStromael Member Posts: 195
    semiticgod wrote: »
    No form of haste stacks. Drinking 3 Oils of Speed will have the exact same effect as drinking 1.

Oil of Speed has the same effect as Haste. The only differences are that it lasts longer, does not impose fatigue penalties, and that it has a set caster level for the purposes of Dispel Magic--it is easier to dispel than Haste.

There is no initiative bonus itself; the increase in attack speed is solely due to the higher APR.
    The other major difference is that Oil of Speed will activate almost instantly on an unclouded aura, whereas (Improved) Haste has a casting time.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    edited September 2019
    an other difference is that to use the spells you need a mage, the oil can be used, only on self, by everyone.
    as the mage can be silenced, occupied in other tasks or too far it is wise to have always at least an oil of speed and an invisibility potion in the inventory of every toon, speed and invisibility are often the better ways to save a character that is going to die fast, in many cases better then try to heal the near death toon, being him a fighter that is taking too much hits or a caster/ranged attacker that is chased by enemies that was able to pass trough our first line of defense.