Skip to content

Things that make you go "D'oh!" - Share the times you have really messed up

Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
I thought we needed a thread where we can share the times we have really messed up during a game. A place where we can display our mistakes so that others can sympathise (and mock).

So regale us with your tales of woe and tell us of the self-inflicted wounds that brought your run to an untimely end.
Post edited by Permidion_Stark on

Comments

• Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    edited October 2019
    I recently decided to do a solo run as a kensai, planning to dual to a thief at level nine. I was really enjoying the run and had reached level eight before I realised I had made a rather fundamental error during character creation. Can you spot what it is boys and girls?
    qtm7kjbzbraa.png
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    Yep, no dual possible until hell's trials
    LG... :)
  • DaevelonDaevelon Member Posts: 605
    We are planning a similar character!
    Similar, i didn't make that error :D
  • DaevelonDaevelon Member Posts: 605
    edited October 2019
    Anyway, if you don't want to edit the character, i advise you to keep on playing, Kensai is very strong at high level even alone. I'm level 16 now and destroy all the foes in a blink of an eye (i plan to dual at level 24)
    Daevelon wrote: »
    Anyway, if you don't want to edit the character, i advise you to keep on playing, Kensai is very strong at high level even alone. I'm level 16 now and destroy all the foes in a blink of an eye (i plan to dual at level 24)

She does seem to destroy all opponents before they can even lay a glove on her but it is a solo run and I hate playing as a fighter who just triggers every trap she walks into, so I had been saving all the dungeons for when she got her thief levels . . .

So it's back to Candlekeep for me.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    Something like that? I probably would have just gone into the save in EEKeeper and edited the alignment. Maybe knock off a point or two of reputation, since you gain starting rep from being LG. I've done bigger edits, after all.

It wasn't a run-killer, but I recently lost a session of play to a mistake. Rasaad was a core party member and romantic partner, and I let him go at the conclusion of the Twofold Trust storyline. It's great for his character development, it let me exploit a bug and duplicate a powerful item... and it's completely incompatible with having him as a core party member. If you let him go there, he won't rejoin until you summon him with the Fate Spirit in ToB.
    Well, at least I got an "apocryphal" update out of the lost session in my thread on that playthrough.
    jmerry wrote: »
    Something like that? I probably would have just gone into the save in EEKeeper and edited the alignment. Maybe knock off a point or two of reputation, since you gain starting rep from being LG. I've done bigger edits, after all.

I probably would be tempted use EEKeeper in this case but I can't get it to work on my current set-up. I get a message about it not being able to recognise a valid save game or something along those lines.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714

I probably would be tempted use EEKeeper in this case but I can't get it to work on my current set-up. I get a message about it not being able to recognise a valid save game or something along those lines.

If you are using a PC I'm pretty sure you can use a console command to alter your alignment. I'm just not sure what the code would be - probably @kjeron and @argent77 can answer that easily.
    Raduziel wrote: »

If you are using a PC I'm pretty sure you can use a console command to alter your alignment. I'm just not sure what the code would be - probably @kjeron and @argent77 can answer that easily.

Unfortunately I'm on a Mac. But don't worry, I have already started a new character.
    Skatan wrote: »

I might have known! (in fact I should have known because I have posted on that very thread). Just another thing to make me go "D'oh!"

it seems that EEkeeper try to find the savegames looking at the wrong folder.
    find out where your games are saved in your setup (i use win 7 so for you it can be different) and set EEkeeper to use that folder in its options.

I hope it helps.
    gorgonzola wrote: »

it seems that EEkeeper try to find the savegames looking at the wrong folder.
    find out where your games are saved in your setup (i use win 7 so for you it can be different) and set EEkeeper to use that folder in its options.

I hope it helps.

Thanks, I will give it a go. I can get it to work when I am on a PC but I am using a Mac at the moment and I find it hard to work out where everything is.
    Another day, another disaster. This time soloing as a paladin. I'm clearing Black Alaric's Cave. I have already killed two of the flesh golems and have grabbed the Manual of Bodily Health. I've taken a few hits from the monsters and traps so I go outside to rest before going back in to kill the final golem. I'm wearing the Greenstone Amulet which prevents me from being held but I do have to remember to activate it ...
    v7fg8rudh3e9.png
    A lazy soloer is a dead soloer... :p
    I know it so well, everything you forget or avoid to do is potentially catastrophical, specially if charname is held or without control and you can only watch him loose his health ;) .
    Only once i was saved by an enemy that managed to cast a provvidential dispell magic saving my day, but you can not count on it on a regular basis.

Be prepared young boy scout, sorry charname... :D
    Not really a gameplay moment, but this feels like the best place for it...

A few days ago, the "Scale User Interface" option suddenly stopped working for me in windowed mode BG2EE. It worked fine in full screen, so my active play was unaffected, but it was constantly bugging me whenever I minimized to update my play log. I couldn't figure out how to fix it, and started wondering if there was a hidden option somewhere that I'd accidentally tripped.

Just now, I decided to ask for help. I open up a new discussion in Troubleshooting, type in the title, then look at the windowed game to maybe take a screenshot. I fiddle with the window's corner, slightly resizing it ... poof. Fixed.

Cue uncontrollable laughter. After a minute or so of that, I cancelled the post.

Still don't know how I broke it in the first place, though.
    Not a big problem, but definitely that d'oh flavor ...

I go to cast Improved Invisibility on Coran to set up a backstab on a Doom Guard. Then this happens.
    b4fx9cforb9v.png
    Oops. Spell fizzled in the middle of casting and lost. Can't make him invisible because he's already invisible.

The backstab succeeded.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    Another day, another disaster. This time soloing as a paladin. I'm clearing Black Alaric's Cave. I have already killed two of the flesh golems and have grabbed the Manual of Bodily Health. I've taken a few hits from the monsters and traps so I go outside to rest before going back in to kill the final golem. I'm wearing the Greenstone Amulet which prevents me from being held but I do have to remember to activate it ...
    v7fg8rudh3e9.png

Same area, similar brain fade moment: Soloing a f/m I'd cleared the cave, took my armour off to identify and equip the tome, rested to restore my HP and got all the way back to Bereghost before I realised I'd left my armour outside the cave!
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    i have scripts for my clerics that when they have protection from evil 10' radius memorized that they just cast it right away thanks to its long duration

if i made a dollar for EVERY time that i accidently interrupted my cleric casting that spell because AI was on and i start moving during the casting, forgetting that my clerics do that after resting at an inn in bg1, i would no longer have a mortgage hahaha