Skip to content

Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance Announced

2»

Comments

• kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    https://screenrant.com/dark-alliance-single-player-difficulty-multiplayer-co-op/

This is what I feared about this game. If not for this, I would actually be quite inclined to give it a shot seeing as it may well be the only Forgotten Realms game in real-time I will ever get. But I'm going to remain hopeful they will add in at least a story mode for SP to try and attract more sales.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Yup... I feel that it will take a loong time until there is any kind of upcoming D&D game of interest "to me". This clearly isn't it.

It would be fine if singleplayer difficulty would be configurable via sliders. You know, like an actual difficult slider. But I am not willing to shell out for a product that intentionally punishes solo players for not sharing the dev's gaming philosophy.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I played the original games with my wife so i have no idea if it was hard single player.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Yup... I feel that it will take a loong time until there is any kind of upcoming D&D game of interest "to me". This clearly isn't it.

It would be fine if singleplayer difficulty would be configurable via sliders. You know, like an actual difficult slider. But I am not willing to shell out for a product that intentionally punishes solo players for not sharing the dev's gaming philosophy.

My interpretation of multiplayer games like this is “you have to buy 2 copies to fully enjoy the game.”

That there is a no thank you.
    No local multiplayer?
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Actually they say they are going to have couch co-op for this title. But it’s still a negative in my books.
    Well not to me. If it's any good, it's one more option to play with my wife and when the kids get a little older with them as well.
  • themazingnessthemazingness Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 702
    On the one hand, I like games that are difficult single player but fun multiplayer. On the other hand, I've played games where the challenge isn't necessarily a fun challenge. Finding somebody to play with can be difficult especially since I have a tendency to wait for games to go on sale. By then, the online multiplayer scene is often dead and the people who wanted to play it already got it out of their system and are on to different titles.
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    Mainly multi-player, tough sp? Yawn. Next.

TR
    This game now has a release date, in June this year. Here are a couple of articles from today that include a lot of new details, plus trailer, gameplay, and game development discussion videos:

https://www.polygon.com/2021/3/16/22332313/dark-alliance-hands-on-preview-xbox-one-playstation-5-pc-release-date-price

https://www.ign.com/articles/dnd-dark-alliance-demo-preview-impressions-dungeons-dragons

The game actually looks really good for what it is intended, i.e. a Diablo style game. Unfortunately for me, that is not my cup of tea.
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    I watched the new trailer. It's definitely a LOT better than the original one they put out. I was particularly impressed by the art design of the beholder and the frost giants, as well as the areas and landscapes. As for the gameplay itself... It looks enjoyable enough, but not really something that'd scratch my usual RPG itch that I normally turn to D&D for. Plus, it looks like the playable characters are Drizzt, Catti-Brie, Bruenor and Wulfgar. (Where's Regis?? XD) Given that spellcasters are my absolute favourite class in D&D, the lack of one is a major turn-off when it comes to convincing me to buy a D&D game. Granted, I imagine the D&D spells would be absolutely gamebreaking considering the style of game Dark Alliance is shaping up to be, so leaving out spellcasters was probably a foregone conclusion.

All in all, I guess I'll put this in the "Maybe?" pile. Something I might pick up and play if it goes on sale, but not something I'll be buying as a Day 1 release.
    Zaxares wrote: »
    I watched the new trailer. It's definitely a LOT better than the original one they put out. I was particularly impressed by the art design of the beholder and the frost giants, as well as the areas and landscapes. As for the gameplay itself... It looks enjoyable enough, but not really something that'd scratch my usual RPG itch that I normally turn to D&D for. Plus, it looks like the playable characters are Drizzt, Catti-Brie, Bruenor and Wulfgar. (Where's Regis?? XD) Given that spellcasters are my absolute favourite class in D&D, the lack of one is a major turn-off when it comes to convincing me to buy a D&D game. Granted, I imagine the D&D spells would be absolutely gamebreaking considering the style of game Dark Alliance is shaping up to be, so leaving out spellcasters was probably a foregone conclusion.

All in all, I guess I'll put this in the "Maybe?" pile. Something I might pick up and play if it goes on sale, but not something I'll be buying as a Day 1 release.
    Same thoughts myself. I believe they have mentioned the reason for no spellcasters and also no Regis is exactly because of how the gameplay works in the game. It's a hack n' slash game. But, they have also said they're looking for feedback on what people may want as DLCs once people have played through the main game, which may include requests for additional player characters.
  • BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659
    So - the game launched today and the reviews are... not great.

I mean, obviously reviews can be very hit or miss (in terms of accuracy), but it does seem like Dark Alliance is not being all that well received.

Having looked a few of the reviews, it seems like the primary issues are AI, Bugs and a general blandness of content.

The first two things can be fixed by patching, the third one seems a lot more concerning. Maybe content releases can improve upon that.
    I think the problem with a lot of the reviews are the reviewers. They are critiquing the game by mis-catagorizing the game as a cRPG instead of viewing it as an action game.